Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up SOTD Saturday March 16th, 2013

Bom Dia, Good Morning everyone. Have all a Very Nice Saturday

samples
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SOTD Saturday March 16th, 2013

Hermes Amazone, trying to give myself a bit of a boost and feeling rather fragile after a night out last night (no alcohol involved, but very little sleep).

AMAZONE_NEW_W.jpg

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Will ask the mods to merge our two SotD threads.

edit:

Easier to copy and paste my post here:
    Good morning all! It's sunny here so far...maybe spring is really on its way?

SotD for me is Montale Highness Rose.

I'll be doing a few errands, then filing, then going to give Mom's caregiver a break this afternoon. What does the day hold for you?
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 16th March 2013 at 12:50 PM.

Mustang

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Afternoon all!

A lazy start to the day for me, now l'm off to do some grocery shopping in Diorissimo.

ExtremeK, l'd love to know what you thought of La Tulipe, & also the Arquiste Boutonniere, which l haven't tried.

Hope everyone is having a pleasant & relaxing weekend!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mildly cool and overcast this morning. I am wearing Tea For Two.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Good Saturday morning, dear family. I worked all day yesterday, as a result still am wound up and, dare I say, feeling quite bubbly. Not too bad of a thing for a day off, erm?

30R
    ., I do not start SotD anymore, I know someone from Yourup will beat me by a second, mine from about a month ago is still hanging there with 1 post. LOL Many hugs to you and Ms.Rosebud and mama, hope you all feel a tad better today.

Q., something might have gone haywire: I have never said La Vie est Belle was love at first sniff. N-E-V-E-R! What I wrote was it was quite pleasant and wearable if you are keen on Euphoria and Coco Mademoiselle type of sweet fruit plus synthesized patchouli. I will be not seeking to buy a bottle, but I think the fragrance will appeal to many of the regular mall shopping crowd: young, confident and occasionally wearing PJs in public (you might remember how a few years ago someone at work was very surprised that I owned a pair of blue jeans LOL).

Irises: let's punch a dead horse in the mouth again. IMO, the fad should fade away in 2013, only the lazy have not attempted to recreate the smell of the plant in their offerings. What have not we got, honestly, from a timid fragile wallflower to gilded Fleur de Lys (that many a researcher believe was not a lily to start with) by way of roots and petals? Ramon Monegal Impossible Iris, all facts considered, i.e. emotional response, composition, longevity, development, price, is not worth what they want for it, no matter how sweet and pretty it appears to be, at first application. 1932, and hats off to Mr.Polge for that, in its turn, is an impeccable representation of a bloom with woody accents achieved not through rhyzomes but vetiver and sandalwood instead of cedar found in many other presumably iris fragrances. We all know that type of bourgeoises who do not push forward their confidence and youth(fulness), match their hats to their purses and shoes (somehow choosing the most boring and unpretentious colors like bourgeois beige), and dress simply and quite old-fashioned? That's what 1932 is about -- old money, old values, old treasures. Bijoux de Diamants. The longevity -- and I agree with E. -- is not bad at all, I get about 6 hours from it (and having normal skin, I do not even know why everything lasts on me -- hair perhaps?), the light not "fatty" aldehydes (*khm khm*) with ginger-like dryness contribute to the attention grabbing start, and other florals (soft and gentle, like violets, lily of the valley, fruity sambac) keep one glued to the wrist and the hat still smells of it at the end of the day. This is L-O-V-E. Previously, I went through a bottle of 28 La Pausa, another iris-based Exclusiff, and 1932 is just what I need at the moment.

LOVE and peace to all.

SOTD: 1932.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning!

30 Roses, I hope your daughter is feeling better today.

Wearing Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur this morning. Love the birch smell
    I get in the beginning, reminds me of campfires we used to have when
    our family went camping years ago. That smell only lasts for a few
    minutes but I love that stage in the progression.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, excellent smelling people. Enjoy your weekend!

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning, everyone!

I'm heading to yoga this morning, no longer stinking of sample melange, but light and pretty in En Passant.

30R, I hope rosebud is feeling some better. Ice, ice, and when she's enough ice, more ice.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

30R I hope your daughter is feeling better today. (((((30R, daughter, mom)))))

Caron Bellodgia for me today.

Best to all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

Good Afternoon,

Wolfie, I loved reading your thoughts on 1932. Many thanks for sharing.
    Tabac Blond today.
    Have a lovely Satuday, all.

Ah, Mrs. T, could not agree more regarding 1932. It is getting hammered in the blogs for lack of creativity and longevity, the latter no issue at all for me, and the former - well, just as you said. There is always room for impeccable and solid - I believe referred to as "classic". Whether 1932 will become a classic, I doubt. But when something is refined, beautiful, and well constructed, I will tip my hat. But then, I am biased regarding Chanel Exclusifs It's always the iris for me, and Chanel knows how to do that in spades.

In honor of Mrs. T's review, I am wearing Chanel 28 La Pausa for tennis this morning. May I play as well as I smell, which I highly doubt

Lem by Galimard

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone -

Well, how about that? I'm also in Chanel for tennis this morning - Cristalle Eau Verte. Hiya, cello - enjoy your match!

Y'all have a great day!

Wolfie - thanks for sharing your impressions of 1932 ...quite interesting.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Post Thanks / Like

Safran Troublant for mountains of paperwork to be done

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all. AG Myrrhe Ardente.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon.

Etro Heliotrope for me today.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Post Thanks / Like

Narciso Rodriguez for Her-- might not have been the best choice today, as I think I'm fighting a cold and can't smell much very well at all. I'll likely end up spraying one of the CdG Incense line on my wrists sooner or later.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Worked out, washed the car & now headed to brunch and a haircut in...

Extract of Mysore Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn

((bear hugs to all))
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Q., something might have gone haywire: I have never said La Vie est Belle was love at first sniff. N-E-V-E-R! What I wrote was it was quite pleasant and wearable if you are keen on Euphoria and Coco Mademoiselle type of sweet fruit plus synthesized patchouli. I will be not seeking to buy a bottle, but I think the fragrance will appeal to many of the regular mall shopping crowd: young, confident and occasionally wearing PJs in public (you might remember how a few years ago someone at work was very surprised that I owned a pair of blue jeans LOL).
    Ah, the result of my reading and responding to threads on a bitsy Kindle screen -- trying to remember everything read from two days of posts and not being able to glance back as I can on the regular computer display. I do like having a little tablet, but it's obviously very limiting.

Another example of a forgotten mental note: I meant to praise Roberto for his post yesterday of the charming rain/umbrella photo with the actor we here know best as the character Patrick Jane on "The Mentalist."

No fragrance yet. Mr. Q and I are being video slobs ("Thank you, PBS and Netflix"). We'll even be eating lunch in our PJs (and drinking wine, too!). This morning's viewings were excellent: "This Old House," a Nat Geo documentary about the 1893 Chicago's World Fair and its associated mass murderer ("Madness in the White City"), and a documentary about the cave drawings of Chauvet Cave ("Cave of Forgotten Dreams"). The perfumer Maurice Maurin (composer of SFmedusa's Amazone SotD) even appeared in it, telling how he tries to sniff out air passages to help locate hidden caves. Chauvet makes Lascaux's paintings virtually modern day, given that Chauvet's drawings are twice as old (32,000 years). Mind blown repeatedly!

After lunch, after shower, I may grab for smacking tangerine goodness again, either L'Eau de Tarocco or Bond No. 9 Mothers. Or maybe not. We'll see.

Good health and good spirits wished for all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Boa Tarde Roberto!

Popping in before work. Loved the energy in your Iris piece Twolf. 1932 only launched here last week. I've had one quick sniff. I look forward to trying it properly.

So another Iris, Prada Infusion D'Iris, for me tonight, from a sample.

Post Thanks / Like

Evening All,

Joining the Chanel love-fest: Cuir de Russie (Vintage EdT).
    Hope the Cello and Evangeline had a good time on court. I really miss playing tennis and keep meaning to take it up again.
    Best to everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Alien Essence Absolue for me this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to southergardens, I am enjoying a sample of vintage Ivoire de Balmain, which seems go with this rainy day, as I curl up with hot tea and this week's New Yorker, all while swathed in my late mom's mink (better than a throw!), which has a whiff of vint Zibeline about it.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I'm in Chanel as well this evening: coromandel

I'm going to have to hide this one from the hubs, he's veeeeery interested in stealing my bottle!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

SOTD is a sample of Jeke by Slumberhouse.

I really like the scent from far away but I cannot stand it when I stick my nose to my skin. Kind of sour.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Greetings from the frozen north . Had a great day around Oslo today, wandering around the harbour, Akershus castle, Karl Johans Gate, and Royal Palace area. We are staying in the Radisson hotel adjacent to said palace which incorporates a top floor bar with an amazing panoramic view of the city - guess where we are headed shortly

Just checking in quickly to say - Happy Birthday *dora*

SotD is Geir.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: SOTD Saturday March 16th, 2013

Χρόνια πολλά Ντόρα

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing Habanita today. I've finished my housework (yuck!) and now waiting for the basketball game to start. Go Jayhawks!

Happy birthday to dora
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Thanks / Like

Dora happy birthday!

TF Tuscan Leather for today
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Mahora again for me today. Lovin it!
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Ford Black Orchid, sample....It is getting better as it wears on. I hennaed my roots, and think there is a very small subset of perfumes that actually sort of merge with the henna-smell and smell good, and this isn't one of 'em. So it would maybe smell better without the interference. The "prowl" from neil morris is usually what I reach for after henna, it works.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wish for you the best year you have had in a long time.
    Happy Birthday.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey y'all -

Staying in Chanel for the evening, I'm now in a luxurious cloud of Coco ...shower gel, body cream and a few drops of 80s parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    ...Hope the Cello and Evangeline had a good time on court. I really miss playing tennis and keep meaning to take it up again.
    Thanks g, it was great! And, if you ask me, I think everyone should play tennis so yes, you absolutely should take it up again. You know you'll be so happy you did, so just do it already!

Happy Birthday dear *dora*! I hope you've had a simply wonderful, fragrance-filled day!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's been a beautiful day today in the South. High 70's and plenty of sunshine! I did some sampling this morning, but I'm wearing a new frag for me, SIGNATURE BY ST DUPONT. It's a lovely light floral to match the day!
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your wishes!!

Nothing special today, shopping for the house and driving the girls...
    Saturdays are always busy.

Infact I didn't even thought of wearing perfume today

But I am changing it now, I am going to wear

Rouge by Hermes

L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Happy Birthday dora!! Home again, experimenting with frying plantains (yummy but I ought to have been more generous with the oil and let them caramelize longer.)

My daughter has her leg propped up, knee immobilizer on, and is doing homework. This morning she tried to take a few steps without the immobilizer and her patella dislocated immediately. It popped back in, but I think she got the point that she can't walk without it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday to *dora* and many happy fragrant returns of the day. Love you always and the girls.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday, Dora!! I hope you are having a lovely day!

Wearing Tauer Incense Rose this evening.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Donna Karan Fuel for Men tonight
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Bwah dez Eel for tonight.

Cello, I love you too!

Post Thanks / Like

Mmm, 30Roses, we do fried plantains in butter and oil (mostly butter, some oil) in iron skillet that is reasonably nonstick at this point, a little brown sugar and then salt when they are done. yum. Platanos. Big slices, not the smashed flat puerto rican things.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday, *dora*!

SOTD was Annick Goutal Fovaril. Her very 1st fragrance launched in 1981. The notes include mango, jasmine, boronia flower and tomato leaf.

Hugs to the Rosebud!

SOTE is Jean Louis Scherrer's Sherrer II