Code of Conduct

Question Le Dandy ~ D'Orsay.....a few questions

I have a few questions and would be very grateful for any help.

First question is ~ How similar is the vintage, (I'm meaning bottles from the 70's/80's) compared to the more recent re issue version ?
    Question no2 ~ Are there any similarities to Pure Malt ? I have looked at some of the reviews and some people on fragrantica describe the fragrance as having a malt whisky vibe.
    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by david; 16th March 2013 at 06:58 PM.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Default Re: Le Dandy ~ D'Orsay.....a few questions

IMO no similarities to Pure Malt.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO no similarities to Pure Malt.
    Thanks hednic.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Pictures 10 19 12 008.jpg

Don't know how well the picture will come out but I got a little nutty with LeDandy and went after some older edt and edt solidette off eBay some time ago.

Imagine what decades(?) would do to hmm let's say to an alc free deodorant in the common push-up type packaging. Yep, shriveling and shrinkage. That's the state of the solidette. The jus in the 1/2 oz bottle has kept well. It's a little feminine compared to the current formulation. The tobacco is unmistakenly there and its booze note is not as plum/raisin as the current formulation, which I'd characterize as a cognac or a darker tasting rum than any single malts I am familiar with.

When I think of LeDandy I think of Frank No.2, definitely not Pure Malt.

p.s.: ahaha, the picture worked well enough to see a big blond hair off my best buddy - he's a yellow lab - stuck to the solidette.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 16th March 2013 at 11:06 PM.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Pictures 10 19 12 008.jpg

Don't know how well the picture will come out but I got a little nutty with LeDandy and went after some older edt and edt solidette off eBay some time ago.

Imagine what decades(?) would do to hmm let's say to an alc free deodorant in the common push-up type packaging. Yep, shriveling and shrinkage. That's the state of the solidette. The jus in the 1/2 oz bottle has kept well. It's a little feminine compared to the current formulation. The tobacco is unmistakenly there and its booze note is not as plum/raisin as the current formulation, which I'd characterize as a cognac or a darker tasting rum than any single malts I am familiar with.

When I think of LeDandy I think of Frank No.2, definitely not Pure Malt.

p.s.: ahaha, the picture worked well enough to see a big blond hair off my best buddy - he's a yellow lab - stuck to the solidette.
    Thanks very much for helping me out with this.
    ......I had never heard of a "solidette edt".....until now! Sounds fascinating.

Hi David,

I think the latest Le Dandy EdP is more synthetic and not quite as good as the older EdT (probably manufactured until around 2000, so some retailers may still have it as d'Orsay scents aren't exactly flying off the shelves). I never really took much liking to Le Dandy because it's too sweet and cloying for me. I'd much prefer something like Sonoma Scent Studios Tabac Aurea or the discontinued Crown Perfumery Park Royal.

Thanks bokaba. Like you I wasn't too smitten with this one. At the time of trying it,(late 80's) I worked in the Ka De We department store in Berlin and they were selling the whole range off cheap. I remember liking the ginger note in Le Dandy, but much preferring Arome 3 and the others. However, the praise this one gets has prompted me to retry it.
    A lot of people mention a boozy rum note, but others refer to a whisky note, which made me think of Pure Malt.

From what I understand of the new ones you should look for silver caps, not gold ones. My silver cap one is very rich and just great overall, with lots of oakmoss. The gold cap one supposedly has a lot less oakmoss and is clearly inferior. I haven't tried it but that's what someone said a while back.

David, should you have the opportunity, try a vintage (still in the striped box) Arome 3. It is a beautiful lavender fougere I hold in high esteem. One of the few gems left.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Hi David,

I think the latest Le Dandy EdP is more synthetic and not quite as good as the older EdT (probably manufactured until around 2000, so some retailers may still have it as d'Orsay scents aren't exactly flying off the shelves). I never really took much liking to Le Dandy because it's too sweet and cloying for me. I'd much prefer something like Sonoma Scent Studios Tabac Aurea or the discontinued Crown Perfumery Park Royal.
    Agree. Le Dandy EDP is gutted of the oakmoss that make the EDT so sparkling. The EDP came out only a few years ago, along with the logo change. (Really? I though no one could change a coat of arms, unless, of course, it's a logo.)

All of the D'Orsays have been reformulated.

Look for the striped boxes for the older 1990s versions: Chevalier, Arome Trois, Etiquette Bleue.

Despite the made-up story about the history of the house, some of these scents are rather nice.

I like Le Dandy for its tobacco and pineapple.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I have a vintage Le Dandy "Lotion" (white plastic cap) that is very nice. A lighter sweet boozy note (Cognac is about right) with spices. I've not tried Pure Malt, so can't comment there . . . nor have I tried the current Le Dandy . . . sorry.

Another vintage D'Orsay worth a try is "voulez-vous" EDT . . . greenish, floral with aldehydes . . . nice.
    Last edited by Wally Swoboda; 18th March 2013 at 01:51 PM.

I recently got the new Le Dandy (new version, EDP, with gold cap) through a blind swap. I pretty much like it, I get fruity notes and... honey, although it's not listed as a note. It is definitely sweet, but has depth to it. No oakmoss that I can perceive, so I guess the old formulation probably had more character. Still, I like it.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    David, should you have the opportunity, try a vintage (still in the striped box) Arome 3. It is a beautiful lavender fougere I hold in high esteem. One of the few gems left.
    Thanks bokaba, I have the striped Arome 3 and love it. It became my signiture fragrance for a whole Summer. I also managed to find this edition of Arome 3 which predates the striped box and is excellent.
    I love the subtle hint of mint in Arome 3.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Thanks bokaba, I have the striped Arome 3 and love it. It became my signiture fragrance for a whole Summer. I also managed to find this edition of Arome 3 which predates the striped box and is excellent.
    I love the subtle hint of mint in Arome 3.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
    Great find, David. This looks like the original bottle style from the 1940s when the scent was launched. The scents lasted well into the mid-1970s, and then the company seemed to have disappeared.

I dislike the faux "legende" they make about their fictional parfumeur. The real Comte d'Orsay wore a lot of fragrance, but he never made it. This was the marketing story from 1908 when the company started up by a group of investors, who used the elegant Comte as a mascot. It was reinforced in the 1940s with a well advertised campaign in a printed "history" that was illustrated by a popular fashion artist of the time.

Lots of history on the marketing hype here in these books:

Nigel Groom, 2nd ed. "The Perfume Handbook."
    Ken Leach. "Perfume Presentations."
    Madeline Marsh. "Miller's Perfume Bottles: A Collector's Guide."
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Great find, David. This looks like the original bottle style from the 1940s when the scent was launched. The scents lasted well into the mid-1970s, and then the company seemed to have disappeared.

I dislike the faux "legende" they make about their fictional parfumeur. The real Comte d'Orsay wore a lot of fragrance, but he never made it. This was the marketing story from 1908 when the company started up by a group of investors, who used the elegant Comte as a mascot. It was reinforced in the 1940s with a well advertised campaign in a printed "history" that was illustrated by a popular fashion artist of the time.

Lots of history on the marketing hype here in these books:

Nigel Groom, 2nd ed. "The Perfume Handbook."
    Ken Leach. "Perfume Presentations."
    Madeline Marsh. "Miller's Perfume Bottles: A Collector's Guide."
    Thanks Primrose. I totally agree with you and hate all the propaganda. That goes for Creed, (Greed) and Rancé.