Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb sandalwood, ambroxide problem

I have created sandalwood accord with ebanol,santaliff,polysantol,sandranol with a touch kephalis and it was good but when I added ambroxide it was bad and getting some sort phenolic smell, can anybody fix the problem and let me know which aldehyde is the best for sandalwood accord and what other ingredients to make it more and more diffusive.

Default Re: sandalwood, ambroxide problem

Do you mean it smells a little like latex gloves?

Sandalwood is a Basenote, so any Sandalwood accord will be too. Why do you want to add aldehydes to it? To increase strength and diffusivity why not use some Javanol and some Iso E Super.

Blog Entries

Thanks, I think aldehydes if used in proper way will give lift to the overall blend and please inform me the role of Iso E Super and kephalis (I used kephalis without knowing exact orgaleptics) in sandalwood accord.

Iso E Super smells of warm cedar and amber. It is the chemical used in the fragrance Molecule 01. It is very diffusive and will lift your fragrance; as you wanted. The reason I suggested it is because it was used in Gucci Rush for Men; a fragrance that I always admired for being a diffusive Sandalwood. Javanol, a fairly new Sandalwood chemical (synthetic) is extremely strong and diffusive; again it will lift your fragrance. I suggested them as they fit perfectly with your Sandalwood accord. To my mind using aliphatic aldehydes (which I what I assumed you were going to use) would add a different and somewhat clashing note, and one that wouldn't fit. Kephalis has a tobacco, amber, and cedar wood smell. Sorry to ask, but if you don't know what Kephalis does, why did you use it?

Blog Entries

Thanx David, one of my fellow perfumer has suggested me to use kephalis and I have also seen it being used in a sandalwood formula but I have not gone through in deep about the same, please suggest me whether is it useful in any way and also let me know about ambroxide whether to continue and as per your suggestions I definitely will use Iso E Super

If you are having problems using Ambroxide then try something else. It is a very strong material but useful at the right amount. Try using less of it, possibly in solution (10.0% or 1.0%) so it is easier to handle. After all that it still doesn't do what you want, give up and move on.