Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sandalwood, what's "best?"

Fragonard's Santal is quite good, IMO. Sandalwood cut with tobacco.

the discontinued L'Artisan Santal will be enjoyed by those who like a citrust twist to sandalwood.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Fragmeister View Post
    Nothing smells like mysore sandalwood essential oil. I used to own it. If only I'd known it would become so rare.
    This. I used to wear it as perfume back when I was in college. Nothing these days comes close, since the restrictions.

Actually, a couple come close-ish, to my nose: Villoresi's Sandalo and Angela Flanders' Sandalwood. But neither of them is the real thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post

the discontinued L'Artisan Santal will be enjoyed by those who like a citrust twist to sandalwood.
    That was my signature back in the 1990s, and you never hear it mentioned. I miss it.
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    This. I used to wear it as perfume back when I was in college. Nothing these days comes close, since the restrictions.
    Technically it was the over-harvesting, Kagey, so we may see a resurgence of the real thing at some point . . . 30 odd years for a tree to grow (I believe) so if they started planting late 80's when the stuff ran out we may live to see it

I wore the oil in the 70's and switched to Crabtree & Evelyn Mysore EDT in the 80's till that went synthetic. Wish I had come across the L'Artisan! I'm wearing some of my Vintage C&E Mysore EDT with a bit of Amouage Santal Attar today - perfect.

I don't doubt that it's synthetic, but I really dig the sandalwood note in Dark Aoud.

I'm liking the idea of dosing Tam Dao with some mysore oil.
    Currently wearing: L'Homme Idéal by Guerlain

If I could get real Mysore oil, I wouldn't waste it in a bottle of Tam Dao.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Actually, a couple come close-ish, to my nose: Villoresi's Sandalo and Angela Flanders' Sandalwood. But neither of them is the real thing...
    Never heard of the Angela Flanders' one. Interesting...
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood (both vintage and reformulated)
    I haven`t got enough experience of natural sandalwood but the above is quite enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I have indeed tried Kere! I've worn it once, and while marketed toward women it seems perfectly unisex to me. To be honest though, I falls along the territory of how "Ambre Narguille" doesn't really have any amber, Kere doesn't really have much in the way of sandalwood, at least from first impressions. There is some, and what is there is very, very nice, but the whole fragrance is based more on caramel and apples (and pralines, etc.), that the sandalwood seems to be used more as a binder than anything else. Granted, I'll have to wear it more. Still, it is a seriously excellent fragrance and worth a sniff for anyone who likes sweet fragrances (especially those who like apples and cinnamon/caramel).
    Thanks for this, OctaVariuM! I must admit I'm a little wary of Ambre "Cinnamon-Apple-Pie-With-Honey" Narguilé and I don't even like sweet fragrances to begin with, but I think I'll want to try Kere anyway - maybe a smaller sample, considering all this, but as I said elsewhere, I do think that anything Josh makes is worth trying at least once.

(And now I'll stop hijacking your thread...)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Never heard of the Angela Flanders' one. Interesting...
    Yes, she has a tiny perfume shop in Shoreditch, London. It's open only on Sundays until 3pm. Luckily, Precious, her daughter's shop near Liverpool Street, also carries the line. I don't own the Sandalwood, but I did smell it a few times and I was impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Technically it was the over-harvesting, Kagey, so we may see a resurgence of the real thing at some point . . . 30 odd years for a tree to grow (I believe) so if they started planting late 80's when the stuff ran out we may live to see it

I wore the oil in the 70's and switched to Crabtree & Evelyn Mysore EDT in the 80's till that went synthetic. Wish I had come across the L'Artisan! I'm wearing some of my Vintage C&E Mysore EDT with a bit of Amouage Santal Attar today - perfect.
    Is Mysore same as Santalum album?

A local company here named Choi Fung carries many essential oils and they seem to have Santalum album over there, the prices are about hk$144 for 15ml and $744 for 100ml. Some shower gels are actually pretty good too like Sandalwood and Rose Water if you like to check it out.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    ...I'm wearing some of my Vintage C&E Mysore EDT with a bit of Amouage Santal Attar today - perfect.
    ((jealous))

-- Eckhart Tolle

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Norstrøm View Post
    I have the current Chanel Bois des Iles EdT, and the sandalwood in it smells smells VERY much like the Mysore sandalwood EO I have. My guess is that they still use it to some extent(limited to the Les Exclusifs?), and perhaps extends the lifetime of their supply by careful blending with good synthetics, and perhaps some of the island subspecies of sandalwood(Vanuatu & New Caledonia).

Oh no that one is pure 100 % synthetics:-) , but it is pleasant mimic of sandalwood note,real sandalwood is not sweetened by sacharin:-) , and is not so transparent, its denser.....and is not that powdery in the end.....that EDT feels like a ghost

I suppose only perfume is worth owning maybe? But i thinks the price is too high......for potential huge mix of synthetics

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cosmopolit View Post
    Try Abdessalaam's Chillum.
    Can you describe it a bit, compare to other sandalwoods........

Sandalwood is better when its older....

I have read many forums discussing it in 2009,2010, how there is no indian sandalwood real one on the market, and also noticed many frags with sandalwood notes got discontinued or reformulated in 2010/11........which used probably only fractions of real thing...and now not even that....

I love SL La myrrhe, that dry down smells like real sandalwood to me, gorgeous , anyone thinks similar?
    Last edited by iivanita; 29th March 2013 at 07:44 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I forgot about this other sandalwood thread I started a while ago, on just sweet sandalwoods. Very informative thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/282...et-sandalwoods

-- Eckhart Tolle

Tam dao, is a decent synthetic joke of a sandalwood, add a little more money and get Montale. Le Labo Santal 33 also not even close. dark, black, lime aoud all are great. heeley's agarwoud is a polished pretty version, but not worth the price.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I forgot about this other sandalwood thread I started a while ago, on just sweet sandalwoods. Very informative thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/282...et-sandalwoods
    Mike and you never reported on that Chilum? Have you tried it? i love your thread , its very good!!! and agree on benzoin:-) , the same it does on me, and agree on many of your other observations! I am huge fan of that v. Samsara .......:-) but its 100% female frag

Another one deserving mention is George F. Trumper Sandalwood - a good buy on a creamy sandalwood.

This thread is reminding me of how much I love sandalwood. I don't know that I have ever smelled the pure Mysore version, but sandalwood is forever associated with the incense burned at temples and at my kung fu club.

Several of my favourite fragrances contain sandalwood, but usually in the heart or base, and not in a dominant way : Dirty English, M Génération, and Sung Homme. I used to wear the cheapie Spiritual Sky sandalwood fragrance oil (heresy?) and am thinking to maybe get another bottle to boost that note in my current wardrobe (blasphemy?)

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    Oh no that one is pure 100 % synthetics:-)
    Can you conclusively prove this? Or is it just your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post

This. It's good stuff.
    If I'm not mistaken, it contains real Mysore. I'm guessing that is one reason it's discontinued.

So glad I bought a bottle when I did.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    Another one deserving mention is George F. Trumper Sandalwood - a good buy on a creamy sandalwood.
    Like this one a lot, but can't detect any sandalwood in it!

Blog Entries

Creed Bois de Santal is my No.1. For a more purist approach, although definitely more than just sandalwood, Tam Dao.
    Currently wearing: Flash by Jimmy Choo

...Idole de Lubin (EDT)...

Last edited by Trauerkraut; 30th March 2013 at 10:28 AM.
    Currently wearing: Honour Man by Amouage

Power Where You Need It

there's nothing much to add to what other fellow basenoters already said but I strongly suggest you to get a bottle of Mysore Sandalwood oil from Abdes Salaam (profumo.it)...

- - - Updated - - -

there's nothing much to add to what other fellow basenoters already said but I strongly suggest you to get a bottle of Mysore Sandalwood oil from Abdes Salaam (profumo.it)...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    Tam dao, is a decent synthetic joke of a sandalwood, add a little more money and get Montale. Le Labo Santal 33 also not even close. dark, black, lime aoud all are great. heeley's agarwoud is a polished pretty version, but not worth the price.

Hi Outline, slightly of topic, but your private mailbox is full, so i can't reach you in any other way...

Quote Originally Posted by outline
    Greetings from Brooklyn NYC!

Any chance I can buy your perfumes samples? sandalwood explosion, and anything else leathery-woody you would recommend.
    Also your recommendations on good site to buy oils and perfume chemicals in the US.

Kind Regards,
    Gino
    Dear Gino,

I do not create my perfumes on a commercial basis nor in retail volumes. So, i could send you a small sample, but if you like it, i can't provide you with a full bottle. I simply don't have the equipment and time for mass production.

I've obtained my stuff from the perfumers apprentice (.com) in the US. They are a reliable source and sell also John Steele's excellent Sandelwood oils.

Happy perfuming,

Jeroen.

Your'e welcome to visit my formulation blog, with a dozen of perfume formulations and accords to share!

I agree with Alfarom, Abdes Salaam has some awesome stocks of aged Mysore sandalwood. Try it out.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.
    Currently wearing: Sables by Annick Goutal

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    Mike and you never reported on that Chilum? Have you tried it? i love your thread , its very good!!! and agree on benzoin:-) , the same it does on me, and agree on many of your other observations! I am huge fan of that v. Samsara .......:-) but its 100% female frag
    Haven't tried the Chillum nor have I tried their Mysore. I hope to sample both soon.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Santal Noble & Tam Dao have some Mysore sandalwood in it. They're both good but not true sandalwood.

I think Sandalo from Lorenzo Villoresi is close to real sandalwood but theres something else in there too (apparently rose wood as mentioned above).

As a child I had countless number of sandalwood figurines from Mysore. My favorite pastime was to pick one and rub it with the warmth of my palm and then smell it.

No perfume smells like that exactly.
    for swap/sale:

1 - Pure Indian Sandalwood oil (if you can get your hands on some)
    2 - Gantier's Santal Noble

As for the talk about Mysore Sandalwood oil no more in production in India, its a myth, to increase prices mainly. India (where I was born & grew up & lived till 23), is one of the most corrupt countries in the world. So with all these corrupt politicians running & ruining the country, Mysore Sandalwood oil will be produced illegally in many areas, nothing will stop this, its after all a source of $ to these filthy politicians. Its also a cottage industry type for the poor living on the edge of the forests...
    Currently wearing: Jules by Christian Dior

I have a bottle (6ml) of Mysore sandalwood oil, and had not investigated sandalwood fragrances until recently. I like some (Tam Dao) and not so much others (Santal Noble, Creed). However, as others have stated, I have not found any that anywhere near approximate the oil. Much like Oud based fragrances - as nice as some of them are - none approximates Oud oil. So really, unless you want to spend large amounts of money on small amounts of precious oils, sample around and choose the aroma-chemical version you like best I would also warn, that just like Oud oils, once you get acquainted with the real deal - there can be no comparison...

I am intrigued by Alforam's suggestion to try profumo.it, and I had a look. I can't quite figure out what one would be buying though with the "santalum album - Mysore sandalwood" -it is €120 for 50ml - which would be fantastic value if it were the oil - but I can't tell from the description. The "Mysore Sandalwood essential oil 19 years old" is €170 for 1g - so that is self explanatory!

I too like the idea of spiking some of my sandalwood fragrances with the oil, but it is just too precious!

No offense to anyone, but to me, mixing pure SW oil with a supposedly SW parfum, is to mix a Macallan or Lapgroaig single malt scotch with a $15-25 bottle of wine...
    Currently wearing: Jules by Christian Dior