Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Sandalwood, what's "best?"

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    No offense to anyone, but to me, mixing pure SW oil with a supposedly SW parfum, is to mix a Macallan or Lapgroaig single malt scotch with a $15-25 bottle of wine...
    Hey - Talisker 18y/o and coke is my favourite drink! Only kidding

The press release for the Malle Dries Van Noten scent talks about sustainable sources of Mysore sandalwood becoming available.

I have a sample of Chillum, and it is very Chillum like. Lovely sandalwood dry down, but I think I need to try his pure sandalwood. Unfortunately the essential oil is a bit pricey for me.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Vintage Samsara EdP is the real deal. Creamy, warm and just a tad medicinal sandalwood: rumour has it that it has 30%-40% of mysore sandalwood. Clear bottles with black/golden band and gold/burgundy/black cap are vintage.

I spray once to the back of my hand and rub it to my neck. I have no science to back this up, but doing this seems to get me faster past the topnotes, to the sandalwood nirvana.

This is still relatively easy to find for a reasonable price. Get it while you can if you want sandalwood par excellence.

One ml of pure sandalwood oil in india costs around 30 dollars. At such an exuberant price i am not sure what will be the quantity of sandalwood oil added to the perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    My favourites have already been mentioned, so I'll +1 on Crabtree and Evelyn, Villoresi Sandalo and MPG Santal Noble. I also like Creed's Santal Imperial and the discontinued Bois de Santal. And Egoiste of course.
    Pretty much this. Creed's Santal Imperial is either discontinued or is going to be. Nice man at Harrods siphoned off 100ml for me last time from a 500ml bottle.

Polysantol is a favourite synthetic used now by perfumers. Boasts of 'Mysore' or even 'Australian' in any fragrance now should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Basenotes Institution

Anyone smell the new IUNX scent, L' Arbre? It's supposed to have Mysore sandalwood in it.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I took delivery of a bottle last week 15 minutes before leaving for the airport, Mike.

Out of the gate - yes - a blast of real Mysore, not unlike Dominique Dubrana's Santalum Album EDT.

I'll be back in HK on the weekend and give it some quality time then report back here.

I got myself an 8mL bottle of Al Taiba's bizarrely named "Swiss Gold" sandalwood attar. They claim it is all-natural and alcohol free... for the price ($6) I'm skeptical, but I like the way it smells: spicy and woody. It came in a roll-on bottle and a little bit of this stuff goes a long way in terms of longevity and projection. Probably not the "best," but worth a mention in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I took delivery of a bottle last week 15 minutes before leaving for the airport, Mike.

Out of the gate - yes - a blast of real Mysore, not unlike Dominique Dubrana's Santalum Album EDT.

I'll be back in HK on the weekend and give it some quality time then report back here.
    I look forward to hearing what you have to say. I've always been interested in the house, but haven't gotten my hands on any of their stuff (yet).

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post

Oh wonderful news. A picture of the bottle would be lovely mr. reasonable, if you're able to manage it. Look forward to hearing more about it - maybe you should start a new thread? Thanks.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Creed Original Santal
    also

Serge Lutens SANTAL MAJUSCULE
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

funny - growing up in south india, abt 6 hrs driver from mysore, i've gad a lot of figurines as well as told by hedonist222 --- also owned many a pure SW oils and they are an absolute beauty. SW in parfums tend to be just one note - even if its LV Sandalo / MPEG Santal noble etc etc - they are all in the end a parfum, not the pure essential oil, so no matter which one u buy, nothing will have the "real" effect...
    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    As a child I had countless number of sandalwood figurines from Mysore. My favorite pastime was to pick one and rub it with the warmth of my palm and then smell it.No perfume smells like that exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    funny - growing up in south india, abt 6 hrs driver from mysore, i've gad a lot of figurines as well as told by hedonist222 --- also owned many a pure SW oils and they are an absolute beauty. SW in parfums tend to be just one note - even if its LV Sandalo / MPEG Santal noble etc etc - they are all in the end a parfum, not the pure essential oil, so no matter which one u buy, nothing will have the "real" effect...
    I get that but there are perfumes that smell exactly like the essential oils. Vetiver , frankincense and roses for example.
    for swap/sale:

Egoiste (vintage) EDP and Egoiste Cologne Concentree are the holy grails of masculine sandalwoods, imo.
    Current Favorites:

1. Chanel Antaeus (vintage)
    2. Chanel Egoiste (vintage)/Cologne Concentree
    3. CdG Incense Avignon
    4. Arabian Oud Kalemat
    5. Polo (vintage)
    6. Le Troisieme Homme de Caron
    7. Tauer Une Rose de Kandahar
    8. Ungaro III (vintage)
    9. Bulgari Black
    10. Rasasi Royale

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    +1 on Chanel's Bois des Iles. It's gorgeous!
    seems to be a good approach,
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Pretty much this. Creed's Santal Imperial is either discontinued or is going to be. Nice man at Harrods siphoned off 100ml for me last time from a 500ml bottle.
    Wow, you were lucky, Kaern. Last time I went there, they were borderline rude in their sales tactic. Put me off from buying my Creeds there. Would have been great to try this scent there, let alone get 100ml of it!

I have to say I am still looking for the best sandalwood and I'm beginning to think the answer to this age old question is to get as many of them as possible - altogether they are great! I started with Egoiste and Green Irish Tweed (yes, it dries down to a great sandalwood!), then went on to Sycomore (another beautiful sandalwood in the dry down), now it's Santal Noble which I've only just got and who knows what comes next! Still loads on my list to try...

I'm about to get several bottles of Mysore sandalwood attars. Don't know how they compare but I'm looking forward to finding out

Basenotes Plus

They're quite possibly likely to be adulterated or synthetic as it's not an easy material to source.
    Good luck!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    ...I have to say I am still looking for the best sandalwood and I'm beginning to think the answer to this age old question is to get as many of them as possible - altogether they are great! ...
    Amen!

My list of sandalwood scents in my wardrobe is multiplying. Next on my list: Either the new IUNX L'Arbre or Bois de Iles parfum by Chanel. Currently I own about 7 sandalwood prominent scents.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    They're quite possibly likely to be adulterated or synthetic as it's not an easy material to source.
    Good luck!
    Sadly this is true. I'm the one with the friend in Mysore right now. I've shown her several threads on Sandalwood and she's doing her own research, hopefully she'll find the real thing.

Tam dao EDP
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    Sadly this is true. I'm the one with the friend in Mysore right now. I've shown her several threads on Sandalwood and she's doing her own research, hopefully she'll find the real thing.
    Good luck, rouj.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Tam dao EDP
    I love this one in the EDP and Santal Nobile.
    Currently wearing: Black Tea by Murdock

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    I love this one in the EDP and Santal Nobile.
    I have requested Santal Noble in my last two sample purchases from Aedes and it hasn't been in stock either time. I may just have to blind buy it if I can find a screaming deal.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    I have requested Santal Noble in my last two sample purchases from Aedes and it hasn't been in stock either time. I may just have to blind buy it if I can find a screaming deal.
    My top favorite from MPG. If you can find the vintage at a reasonable price I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. To distinguish it the bottle has a diamond looking design. The new reformulation is also very good and that creamy sandalwood is to die for.
    Currently wearing: Black Tea by Murdock

Guerlain's Samsara contained 25 per cent sandalwood.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Basenotes Plus

Read through the first page but don't have time to look through the others.....Surprised nobody mentioned Breath of God....It doesnt get a lot of play or recognition here on BN for some reason but to me its one of the best sandalwoods out there and its not over 100 bucks....Check it out !

Must try Tam Dao EDP... here we go again. Wallet on a diet time!!

My first thought was Chanel Egoisté