Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Sample Pass for Penhaligon's Peoneve, USA only

The groups are now closed to new members, but please feel free to join in the discussion if interested in Peoneve or if you have smelled it.

In 2010, a very generous sales associate at the museum shop of the Yale Center for British Art donated an astonishing 111 carded samples of Penhaligon's fragrances for us to test. We all posted our impressions of them on a discussion thread; some Basenotes members even ended up buying a bottle as a result.
    (For reference, that thread is here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/262...cussion-Thread)

Today when my husband and I visited the museum, a different sales associate (whose name I unfortunately forgot to ask) kindly shared with me a few samples of Penhaligon's Peoneve to pass around for testing.

There is an amusing video on the Penhaligon's website page for Peoneve, as well as information about notes and the perfumer:
    http://www.penhaligons.com/shop/peon...nhaligons.html

Let's form 2 groups
    -- post if you would like to join.

USA only and you must have made at least 25 posts.
    • Men are welcome too, but be aware that this is a decidedly feminine fragrance.
    • PM your name + mailing address to the person who will ship to you. I will ship to the first 2 members who sign up.
    • Test the sample, post whatever impressions you wish to share, and mail the sample to the next person on the list. Last person keeps the sample.

Postage for you to send it to the next person (bubble mailer) will cost you $2.07, and it can be marked to be shipped by ground at the same price as it would cost to go by air, as per current postal restrictions. Wrap a paper towel around it to absorb the perfume in case of breakage, and enclose the sample in a ziplock type bag. A bit of extra bubble wrap is a good idea, too.

Who's in?

Group 1: (full)

1. jujy54-- received
    2. PerfumedLady
    3. kalli
    4. bogsc

Group 2: (full)

1. Schilling-- received
    2. ExtremeK
    3. Quarry
    4. heavenscent1

(Edit: My own sample vial evaporated so I cannot offer it for a third group as planned.)

Finally, here is contact information for the Museum Shop; they do ship!
    http://britishart.yale.edu/about-us/museum-shop

Edit: Sample packages have been mailed to Schilling and jujy54
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 24th March 2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: updated

queen of the universe

Default Re: Sample Pass for Penhaligon's Peoneve, USA only

Count me in only if you don't fill all spots as I have been a busy participant and would like to give others a chance. I have peonies by the side of my house, and the green peppery description of the Peoneve sounds very true to life. The video is a hoot.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!
    Currently wearing: Odalisque by Nicolaï

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Jujy, that's a good enough reason to join the group-- and notice that you're the only one so far?

Please PM me your mailing address.

I'd love to join and go after the wonderfully astute and funny Jujy.

Even when they're covered in ants, I'm thrilled when the peony bushes erupt in big, pink, floppy, fragrant blossoms. Plus, I enjoy so many of Cresp's creations. I wore Angel for years after it came out, but ironically his Pivoine flanker was my least favorite from the Angel Garden of Stars Collection (preferred the Violet). I've enjoyed his Valentina (which I believe may have originated from you, too! --->nope, it was Twolf! Temporary memory failure.), Kenzo Amour (especially the Holi version), Ange ou Demon, and of course Dune and Midnight Poison. Le nez de Monsieur Cresp est formidable.

To date, I've only tried Blenheim Bouquet, Orange Blossom and Violetta, all of which I found to be pleasant, clean, simple, uncomplicated and unlikely to turn any heads (good or bad). These days, I prefer my fragrances a little more messy, with a bit of a voyage...though maybe not so dark and dirty as our animal tamer, Jujy!

I'm still amazed that you were given 100+ samples from the Museum. You must have just the right face and demeanor.

Thanks 30Roses.
    Last edited by Schilling; 18th March 2013 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Correction

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yay!
    Now that we have our first two members I will get the packages out in the mail tomorrow.
    Edit: Mailed.

Schilling, I wasn't the one who sent you Valentina (in fact, I confess I've never even heard of it!)

I told the SA who gave us Peoneve about Basenotes, and I hope she will look up our thread. It's lovely that she wanted to contribute to our fragrance exploration.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 18th March 2013 at 10:53 AM.

Yes, ma'am! Please count me in!

Those museum shop SAs are fantastic! Still remember how generous they were with those 111 samples. Our last Penhaligon's pass still stands as one of my favorites ever. And they took excellent care of me at the museum shop when I ordered Victorian Posy afterward. You're so lucky to live nearby, 30R, sounds like a wonderful place!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 18th March 2013 at 12:22 PM.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I think you are going to like this one, PerfumedLady. It's growing a bit sweeter on me now but not excessively so (I have a low tolerance for sweet.)

Sunday is the perfect time to visit the museum. Admission is always free but on Sundays the parking lot behind it is also free. And we discovered an artisanal chocolate shop, Chocopologie, across the street yesterday (that was not free! But tasty, yes, heh heh. I had a raspberry and rose truffle.)

Yes, we are lucky.

I have had a good feeling about Peoneve, so eager to try it! Last summer, I bought another peony, Ava Luxe's Pivoine Rose. Very nice and such a happy summertime thing that I have felt compelled to find more good peonies!

Have always had peony plants; my mother had a start from my great-grandmother's farm. It grew and produced divisions and even moved with us when we went to a new home. I always loved their scent and those big, floppy blossoms. That same old peony now grows at my house. Can't be without peonies even now as an adult; those and lilacs were childhood favorites. Thanks so much for hosting another fine pass, 30R! I'm excited!

Every town needs a good chocolatier! You've hit on another of my passions! Love any truffle with raspberry-and rose would be a lovely addition! We have no great perfumeries here in Fort Wayne but we do have DeBrands Fine Chocolates. Owned by a local woman but they have had great success; they supply Trump Towers with their "gold" bars and one of the chocolate collections was one of Oprah's "favorite things". Highly recommend!

30Roses, please sign me up! This will be the first-ever Penhaligon's that I've tried. I ADORE peonies and miss them, as well as the beautiful irises, and fragrant lilacs that I planted at my house.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

ExtremeK, you will be in Group 2-- please PM your address to Schilling.

I do like violet and believe I like violet leaf, and like rose and peony...is it pretty musky on the dry down?
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Not on me, not at all. And the "cashmere woods" are not strong either.

It is not distinctly violet, however. The violet leaf gives a green top note. If I didn't know there was violet leaf, I would never have guessed violets in this.

Overall I find this a cool scent rather than a warm one. And not overly sweet. Which is probably why I rather like it. Today's wearing was "like", not "love", though.

Edit: Sniffing and thinking. Not just cool, no-- starts cool and sharply green, then becomes more balanced-- not really warm, not really cool. The woods are muted. It's a good scent for summer, won't ever get overwhelming, and don't expect a dirty jasmine from the hedione. I think this is a well-behaved scent that can go anywhere. The rose note never becomes overly prominent, either.

Want to sample it, kalli?
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 18th March 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Sure, I'll try it out, thanks 30R.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

OK! Group 1 then

queen of the universe

Oh, my, Schilling, I do have a reputation! This gusto for the animal in fragrance is a new development for me, say about a year old, and it is a shift in tastes for me, that has somewhat eclipsed my 70s, 80s, 90s signature fragrance, Mollie Parnis, a nitromusk floral bomb. It's not even that I prefer the animalics, they just have this hold on me. So, really, who has been tamed here? (;

ps—I love that you get my humor.

30Roses, I'll be camping out by the mailbox. My actual peonies are about 2 months from opening, so this will be a great preview.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

The 2 bubble mailers went out this morning bright and early, so you should get your peonies soon, jujy!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Me, me, me? Florals and greens, wheeee!
    Danke. Merci. Gracias. XO

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yes, please PM your address to ExtremeK.

And everyone testing it may wish to subscribe to the thread. Sometimes it's hard to locate a thread when we are ready to post on it.

Quarry, no worries -- I still have your deets!

queen of the universe

Received! Loved the herb themed postage stamps and the one of Richard Wright. I, too, enjoy finding neat stamps to use when I send fragrance.

Chlorine still clinging to me from water exercise, so I will wait for the weekend to do a decent sampling. A quick sniff tells me this is a "peppery" floral, so I am anticipating something very "English garden in spring." Too bad we have snow here, and not flurries either!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Quarry, no worries -- I still have your deets!
    That's my girl!

Blog Entries

Hi girls. I've been hanging around ever since I saw 30 Roses open the thread, so it's time to subscribe. I love Peonies too. When I was a child everyone where I grew up called them "Peenie Roses". Always that, never just Peonies or even Peenies, but always Peenie Roses. Lots of people grew them. Now they have become a popular cut flower here. Anyway, I have a sample, so can I check in once you all have your bearings? See you later.

Thank you 30Roses. I received the package today and will give a proper wear and sniff test tomorrow. Lifting the cap gave me an initial peppered rose scent, so we'll see what emerges tomorrow.

Foustie, LOL, when I first met my boyfriend over ten years ago, he introduced me to his "Peenie bushes" in his front yard. As an unfortunate grammar/spelling/pronunciation witch, I'm thinking "peenie"???? There's an "O" in there; let's bring it out. We giggled about it and I think we've come to love his Peenie just the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Oh, my, Schilling, I do have a reputation! It's not even that I prefer the animalics, they just have this hold on me. So, really, who has been tamed here? (;

ps—I love that you get my humor.

Basenotes Plus

This will be a fun thread to watch! I just purchased my first Penhaligon's last month when there was a special on Violetta at TJ Maxx. Always love learning about a new (to me) house.

Peppered rose, Schilling? Sounds like a great start. Tell us more about those "peenies"!!

I adore Peony so would love to get a spot in this sample pass if one remains available? Thanks! Carolyn

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yes, I put you in group 1! Please send your address to kalli.

Thanks for organizing these sample passes 30 Roses! And for fitting me in! PM'd Kalli with address.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Anyway, I have a sample, so can I check in once you all have your bearings?
    Yes, sample with us and post your thoughts here! I'm always eager to see if our opinions are the same, since we seem to be sharing a single perfume brain between the two of us!

Genie, you lucky girl! I only wish our TJ's would get some Pen's in stock. Or anything besides CK and celebucrap, really.

Haha! "Peenies" is a very common Indiana pronunciation, especially among the older generations. I am also adamant that the o be pronounced; am a grammar freak like my girl Schilling!

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    This will be a fun thread to watch! I just purchased my first Penhaligon's last month when there was a special on Violetta at TJ Maxx. Always love learning about a new (to me) house.
    Wow. Who buys for your TJs? Mine always has the same old dusty boxes of Liz Taylor, Gloria Vanderbilt, one of the Kardashians and Haris Pilton, or whatever her name is. They're always wrapped in those giant lucite theft-prevention cubes. Who the heck is trying to walk off with "Heiress"?

queen of the universe

Rats. Stuffy nose. Will sniff at first opportunity.