Code of Conduct

Default Reformulated Dolce and Gabana Pour Homme

I never smelt the original formulation but I am about to engage in a blind buy with the reformulation. What do you guys think of this one?

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Reformulated Dolce and Gabana Pour Homme

The original was far superior. The new formulation is not a bad fragrance though

Personally feels it's as bad as the original.

To me they are just different scents, though of course similar. Make sure you at least get the Made in Germany one. I think it's quite good, but of course if you only want the original you may be disappointed.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Simply ask for a bottle with the silver label attached (Original vintage or first refurmulation)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    Simply ask for a bottle with the silver label attached (Original vintage or first refurmulation)
    You can't "simply ask for it". It hasn't been made it years.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    You can't "simply ask for it". It hasn't been made it years.
    When on Ebay or similar sites you find the picture of the old bottle, write a message to the seller asking if the bottle is really the one with the sticker attached on (or: with the silver label in front of the box).
    The serious seller will answer you yes, or not.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

While it will be difficult to find, it can be done. I was on a hunt to find the vintage, and within a course of a week was able to acquire 3 bottles. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I feel that the re reformulation is horrible. All citrus and zero lasting power. No depth at all. If you cannot find the vintage version, the first reformulation is much closer to the original than the last.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    Amouage Interlude Man
    Pure Distance M
    Creed Royal Oud
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Absolue Pour le Soir
    MDCI Chypre Palatin
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Ronia J Oud Assam
    Goti Smoke Essenze

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the original and they are quite different, but the current version is also very good imo
    Current Top 10:

Dior Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Rive Gauche
    Fahrenheit
    New Haarlem
    Jubilation XXV
    Neroli Portofino
    Virgin Island Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Straight to Heaven

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Briefly:
    These with the silver sticker:
    Original vintage: 1994-2000 (the Finest)
    First Reformulation : 2001-circa 2008 (Very Good)

These with letters embossed:
    Second Reformultion (Made in Germany) circa 2009-2011 (Acceptable)
    Third Reformulation (Made in UK) 2012 (Poor)

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the newer formulations are a shade of the original. If I had never smelled the original then I might think differently, but alas I have. If you can find the vintage "made in Italy" with the sticker label then go with that. It is much better

Might get some hate for this. But I just so happened to be wearing curve yesterday. And this today. I cant speak for the original but im pretty surprised by how much just simple curve smells like this. Never thought of this off hand before. But I deff noticed it today. They have a lot of similarities to my nose and give me the same vibe after the spicey/pepper sorta fades

Post Thanks / Like

So imagine how good the original vintage D&G PH smells, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by seekritdude View Post
    Might get some hate for this. But I just so happened to be wearing curve yesterday. And this today. I cant speak for the original but im pretty surprised by how much just simple curve smells like this. Never thought of this off hand before. But I deff noticed it today. They have a lot of similarities to my nose and give me the same vibe after the spicey/pepper sorta fades
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Solo (Absoluto)
    - Chanel: Antaeus
    - Chanel: Egoïste
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

No need for hate. I don't see the resemblance but if it works for you and you can save some money, more power to you !

Post Thanks / Like

The original was one of my favorites. Unfortunately the reformulations are so tragic on this one, that it's not at all worth owning anymore. I wouldn't recommend it at all, even if you haven't smelled the original and have nothing to compare it to. Next time you are at any department store or Sephora, check it out and be glad you didn't waste your money.

Having said that, I do own a full bottle of the German reformulation, but I can't bring myself to wear it.

Random but was at ulta today.. and they got a new tester with the old sticker and said made in italy... What are the chances its being made in italy again or if they just somehow got a very old tester in? I was actually thinking about asking if I could buy it but?.... Strange to because they still have the older tester out and this one out now. Go figure...

Should I go to take a pic of it next time im out to show you guys? See what you think if its legit or not?
    Last edited by seekritdude; 6th April 2014 at 06:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Random but was at ulta today.. and they got a new tester with the old sticker and said made in italy... What are the chances its being made in italy again or if they just somehow got a very old tester in? I was actually thinking about asking if I could buy it but?.... Strange to because they still have the older tester out and this one out now. Go figure...

Should I go to take a pic of it next time im out to show you guys? See what you think if its legit or not?

There is a small Sephora by my house that has a vintage bottle with sticker for a tester

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah... Perhaps not as rare as basenotes leads me to believe then. Ill have to try both of them on each hand to see the diffs for myself sometime here.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Ulta about a month ago wanting to purchase the same tester but they wouldn't allow it--no exceptions. Hopefully you have better luck.

Honestly I never liked the original so much, but I remember back in the late 90s, in my teens, I would smell this wafting everywhere in the airports, it was a very ubiquitous scent then. It was quite strong and projected like a beast. The current formulation, is a very watered down version of the original scent in its hey day. I did not find this appealing then or now. I much prefer DG Masculine, which was sadly discontinued in 2009.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 7th April 2014 at 03:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one bottle from 2007 and 2 bottles from 2009.
    All I can say is, even in its third era it's definitely a very good scent.
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit

Post Thanks / Like

I still have one and a quarter bottles that I bought back in 2001.
    And several deodorant sticks that emit half as strongly a scent as the EDT.
    Hard to believe that this wonderous scent won't be around in future.

It seems like the Golden Age of scents was the early 2000s, before most of them started getting done in.
    Regards,
    Renato

I did a side by side testing recently of each of em'. I actually think the newer one is more versatile off hand. Deff more of a crisp, citrus sorta smell to it. But at the same time it has a bit of a dirty spice kick to it which makes it for lack of a better word potentially "sexy". I think of it a lot again where I would wear something like curve, or l'homme I would wear this. But because its got a bit of a dirty spice kick to it, might wear it for going out....

Where as the vintage one main diff for me is deff its has a richness to it. More sweet, and the cinnamon through the entire fragrance. Deff less citrus which I think makes it less versatile since its way more sweet and spicey. As I know I myself am not a huge fan of cinnamon. That being said I did get about a hour more of noticeable projection compared to my other arm. But longevity wise in its complete skin scent phase they were fairly similar.

Compliment wise when I asked actually I was told they liked the reform version better as well. I will say now that ive gotten to wear both a bit and side by side kinda surprised they are marketed as the same thing. Because I detect more differences in this than in something like cool water to GIT. But again im sensitive towards cinnamon so~
    Last edited by seekritdude; 13th April 2014 at 05:16 PM.

I own and enjoy both the newer version (UK), and my older version (Italy). Both have their merits but as another poster said above (with their German version), I can rarely bring myself to use the vintage except for special occasions in fear I'll never own another bottle.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't think of a fragrance that has been worn as much as this..maybe le male.

I did a side by side testing recently of each of em'. I actually think the newer one is more versatile off hand. Deff more of a crisp, citrus sorta smell to it. But at the same time it has a bit of a dirty spice kick to it which makes it for lack of a better word potentially "sexy". I think of it a lot again where I would wear something like curve, or l'homme I would wear this. But because its got a bit of a dirty spice kick to it, might wear it for going out....

Where as the newer one main diff for me is deff its has a richness to it. More sweet, and the cinnamon through the entire fragrance. Deff less citrus which I think makes it less versatile since its way more sweet and spicey. As I know I myself am not a huge fan of cinnamon. That being said I did get about a hour more of noticeable projection compared to my other arm. But longevity wise in its complete skin scent phase they were fairly similar.

Compliment wise when I asked actually I was told they liked the reform version better as well. I will say now that ive gotten to wear both a bit and side by side kinda surprised they are marketed as the same thing. Because I detect more differences in this than in something like cool water to GIT. But again im sensitive towards cinnamon so~
    This review was kinda confusing. Are you talking about the reform or vintage in the first paragraph? And in the 2nd paragraph, you say the newer one has cinnamon (which you don't like), yet you like the reform version better. I don't understand.

oops i did type that wrong my bad... Vintage one is the one with cinnamon. I didnt like it as much.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i have the german one and its good, never tried the Uk one.