Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1

    Default L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    I already have LIDGE and love it, but I'm wondering if chergui is up to par or better than lidge? What are your guy's opinions of which is the better fragrance?

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Bϊzios
    Posts
    82,375

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Can't choose because I like both of them equally. Own the former, not the latter.

  3. #3
    Basenotes Plus
    mlsweeney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sullivan, IL
    Posts
    1,346

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Pretty close comparison as they're both very good. I'd just go ahead and get Chergui because it's very different from L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme and worth the money IMO.

  4. #4

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    They're different enough to warrant owning both. I'd say they're on par for what they offer. I have quite a few vanilla based fragrances already so that's the only reason I'm holding off on getting Chergui at the moment.

  5. #5

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Yes, I think we are talking apples and oranges here in comparing LIDGE to Chergui. Chergui, with its incense and musk, is not appreciated by many. LIDGE also has its share of people who don't care for it at all, but I would say that, overall, it's more mainstream than Chergui. Chergui's incense is a problem for those who don't like any smokiness at all.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

    Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

  6. #6
    Basenotes Junkie Skyline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    517

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    I dont like LIDGE at all. Smells like bitter cloves and dirt plants. So anything is better. Chergui > LIDGE

  7. #7

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I dont like LIDGE at all. Smells like bitter cloves and dirt plants. So anything is better. Chergui > LIDGE
    How much time have you 'spent' with LIDGE? I just got it and have worn it once. I wasn't thrilled with the initial notes but enjoyed the dry down. Definitely reminded me of the non extreme version.

  8. #8

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    How much time have you 'spent' with LIDGE? I just got it and have worn it once. I wasn't thrilled with the initial notes but enjoyed the dry down. Definitely reminded me of the non extreme version.
    FYI....I think LIDGE is one that tends to become greater appreciated with time. I remember the first time I tried it I just kind of shrugged my shoulders. And it was probably because of the opening, like you say. But as you become more familiar with the fragrance, you learn what to expect and it really becomes grand, and I think a very classy fragrance.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

    Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

  9. #9

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    FYI....I think LIDGE is one that tends to become greater appreciated with time. I remember the first time I tried it I just kind of shrugged my shoulders. And it was probably because of the opening, like you say. But as you become more familiar with the fragrance, you learn what to expect and it really becomes grand, and I think a very classy fragrance.
    For the price that I got it, I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. I'm happy to wear it a few more times but even as I experienced it already, it's better than a lot of what I've tried in the past. And I'd agree with your categorizing it as 'classy' and add that I think it's 'original'.

  10. #10
    Basenotes Junkie Skyline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    517

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    I tried it 3 times. Too bitter for my taste. If it was a little sweeter cocoa, I would've kept it. I dont even smell the cocoa, unless its the bitter stuff im smelling.

  11. #11

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I tried it 3 times. Too bitter for my taste. If it was a little sweeter cocoa, I would've kept it. I dont even smell the cocoa, unless its the bitter stuff im smelling.
    I actually didn't smell the cocoa either, I got some of the bitter you're talking about (which put me off initially) but it settled down into a more citrus state which I enjoyed. It just might be skin chemistry, unfortunately.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Junkie Skyline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    517

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    I missed the citrus state. I will try to get a decant/sample from someone and test it out again.

  13. #13

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I missed the citrus state. I will try to get a decant/sample from someone and test it out again.
    For me, that dry down reminded me of the original LIDG, which I enjoyed although I never bought a bottle as I wanted to get LIDGE since it's so highly thought of.

  14. #14

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    I agree that a comparison of these two really defeats the intent of the scents. I would not even put them in the same category. Own and love them both, recognizing that LIE is an easier non-threatening wear while Chergui can be bolder and ballsier. I prefer Chergui, but tend to be careful where I wear it - especially in the humid heat of Brazil. LIE is a nice bright gourmand, but Chergui is ultimate comfort scent if you can take the HEAT (incense, smoke, dry hay) of it.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicolδi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

  15. #15

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Chergui is the best one.

  16. #16
    Basenotes Junkie Skyline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    517

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    For me, that dry down reminded me of the original LIDG, which I enjoyed although I never bought a bottle as I wanted to get LIDGE since it's so highly thought of.
    I still havent tried the original LIDG. Neither of the fragrances OP listed WOWed me tbh.

  17. #17

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I still havent tried the original LIDG. Neither of the fragrances OP listed WOWed me tbh.
    Wow factor was missing for me as well. At least compared to fragrances like Pure Malt, Pure Havane, and DHI. LIDG reminded me of what I consider a sophisticated, to a degree, original cologne to smell like. LIDGE seems to take it to another level but doesn't reach 'wow' for me. As for Chergui, the vanilla dry down isn't original and the rest of it doesn't make up for that unoriginality.

  18. #18
    Basenotes Plus
    mlsweeney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sullivan, IL
    Posts
    1,346

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Wow factor was missing for me as well. At least compared to fragrances like Pure Malt, Pure Havane, and DHI. LIDG reminded me of what I consider a sophisticated, to a degree, original cologne to smell like. LIDGE seems to take it to another level but doesn't reach 'wow' for me. As for Chergui, the vanilla dry down isn't original and the rest of it doesn't make up for that unoriginality.
    It's weird how different our perceptions can be but I didn't get vanilla at all. My main accords were hay and tobacco. Every time I wear this fragrance, I get a blast from the past from when we used to sit around campfires on hay bales in the summer or fall. It's still a very feminine scent compared to LIDGE but most men can pull it off IMO.

  19. #19
    Basenotes Plus
    FISS80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Grovetown, GA
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    I love LIDGE! initially I was very offput by the citrus and anise in the opening. After a few wearings however, it became one of the staples in my collection. I actually ended up getting a backup bottle! Chergui was nice but there is a sharpness to it that I am not fond of. The drydown is nice too but it just was not for me. I ended up selling it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I love LIDGE! initially I was very offput by the citrus and anise in the opening. After a few wearings however, it became one of the staples in my collection. I actually ended up getting a backup bottle! Chergui was nice but there is a sharpness to it that I am not fond of. The drydown is nice too but it just was not for me. I ended up selling it.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

  20. #20

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    It's weird how different our perceptions can be but I didn't get vanilla at all. My main accords were hay and tobacco. Every time I wear this fragrance, I get a blast from the past from when we used to sit around campfires on hay bales in the summer or fall. It's still a very feminine scent compared to LIDGE but most men can pull it off IMO.
    I can't imagine having a problem wearing Chergui but when I tested it out at Aedes, the dry down was alllll vanilla, similar to Tauer's Desert Marocain (again, in the dry down), and similar to other vanilla based fragrances, so I wasn't that enamored with it.

  21. #21
    Basenotes Junkie Skyline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    517

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Wow factor was missing for me as well. At least compared to fragrances like Pure Malt, Pure Havane, and DHI. LIDG reminded me of what I consider a sophisticated, to a degree, original cologne to smell like. LIDGE seems to take it to another level but doesn't reach 'wow' for me. As for Chergui, the vanilla dry down isn't original and the rest of it doesn't make up for that unoriginality.
    PM.PH and DHI are all on my top 10. Love them all.

  22. #22

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    I prefer Chergui, but I'm not crazy about either one. The only reason I own LIDGE is because I bought it blind and like it just enough to hang on to it, at least for a little longer. I like Chergui, but not enough to actually purchase a bottle of it.

  23. #23

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    PM.PH and DHI are all on my top 10. Love them all.
    Have you tried A Taste of Fragrance? After buying PM, PH, and DHI blind, I figured why not A Taste of Fragrance, and I can't say it disappointed. I'll need to wear it a few more times to see if it is as good as PM and PH.

  24. #24
    Basenotes Junkie Skyline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    517

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Have you tried A Taste of Fragrance? After buying PM, PH, and DHI blind, I figured why not A Taste of Fragrance, and I can't say it disappointed. I'll need to wear it a few more times to see if it is as good as PM and PH.
    Still didn't try this yet. What's it like? and how does it compare to PM/PH?

  25. #25

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Still didn't try this yet. What's it like? and how does it compare to PM/PH?
    I'd say the dry down is closer to A*Men than PM and PH. The opening has that chilli/peppery vibe and I can see where people get some sense of coffee as well. I've only worn it once so far so I can't do it justice but I can say that I was not disappointed. I think it's different enough from A*Men to be worth owning, especially at the price you can get it for today, compared with something like Pure Leather.

  26. #26
    Basenotes Junkie Skyline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    517

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    I'd say the dry down is closer to A*Men than PM and PH. The opening has that chilli/peppery vibe and I can see where people get some sense of coffee as well. I've only worn it once so far so I can't do it justice but I can say that I was not disappointed. I think it's different enough from A*Men to be worth owning, especially at the price you can get it for today, compared with something like Pure Leather.
    Definitely need to sample this. The Chili/peppery scares me lol especially because I dont see how it can be combined with coffee.

  27. #27

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Definitely need to sample this. The Chili/peppery scares me lol especially because I dont see how it can be combined with coffee.
    I was also a bit concerned about that aspect of it, and while the opening leaves something to be desired when compared to PM/PH, the rest is easily enjoyable.

  28. #28

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    LIDGE is my current favorite. I haven't tested chergui though so I can't comment on that.

  29. #29

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    I have Chergui and LIDGE. I bought Chergui blind and loved it instantly. LIDGE is a great scent, but Its no Chergui IMO. Don't see how anyone could find Chergui challenging to wear. It's so well blended in the spice and sweet facets and has such a beautiful air about it. If you are looking to pick up Chergui, I say go for it. They are very different scents.

  30. #30

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    I have Both and like Chergui a bit more than LIDGE.

  31. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    790

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Own and love both.
    Lidge is sweet and chergui is more on the spicy side for me.
    i can not choose one becasue I love them both equally

  32. #32

    Default

    LIDGE for sure. Was trying to sample Chergiu just yesterday to see if I change my mind but the food like spicy notes are just not for me.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 26th March 2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: see PM

  33. #33

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Quote Originally Posted by kimo View Post
    LIDGE for sure. Was trying to sample Chergiu just yesterday to see if I change my mind but the food like spicy notes are just not for me.
    Same here. It's one of the only scents I've ever had to wash off after 5 mins.

  34. #34

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    I love Chergui. I actually have two bottles of it, because I wear it so often. Its topnotes are pure heaven. LIDGE is a dwarf in comparison.

  35. #35
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Both fragrances are a bit too "spicy" or "smokey" and it's hard comparing both of them since they are almost similar to each other. But if I would have to choose 1, I would go for Chergui just because it's powdery and has a hint of tobacco.
    www.luvessentials.com

  36. #36

    Default Re: L'instant extreme vs Chergui

    Own both, equally good in their own way, both r definitely FB worthy

Similar Threads

  1. dior homme intense vs guerlain L'Instant,L'Instant extreme
    By aventus in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 27th May 2012, 06:28 PM
  2. (Dior Homme + L'instant de guerlain )2 vs 1 Instant Extreme
    By Parkxi in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 5th April 2012, 04:36 AM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 8th January 2012, 06:37 PM
  4. L'instant pour homme different enough from L'instant extreme?
    By paradigm in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 5th November 2011, 03:14 PM
  5. Guerlain L'Instant PH v L'Instant PH Extreme
    By digger51 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11th July 2011, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000