Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a leather fragrance that has a very good longevity?

Please advise. I got a decent sample of TF Tuscan leather ,but for some reason it didn't last and I sampled Clive Christian C but the price is outrageous ? Any advise leather experts? I am thinking of Knize Ten , any other suggestions? Thank you.

Default Re: Looking for a leather fragrance that has a very good longevity?

Mark Birley For Men Charles Street

Puredistance M. Martin

Thank you Skyline and Jazznpool for th responses . I will be visiting Las Vegas soon so I will stop at Barney's and try Mark Birley. I am not sure if they carry Puredistance ?

Two excellent leathers that last for ages are Cuir Mauresque by Lutens, which lasts for around 10 hours on my skin, and the big bad pappy Cuir d'Arabie by Montale, which lasts for at least double that.

Be warned that Cd'A isn't just long-lived, but strong as an ox for its whole life. Definitely a one-spray kind of scent.

Most leathers are very long lasting (and loud). I love many of them.

Probably the most durable (and intense) is Etat Libre d'Orange Rien. Very animalic, one must definitely go light with this. In the same line, Tom of Finland is also durable, but at the opposite end of the spectrum, very smooth, suede-like.

Knize Ten, as you mention, is excellent too. Very classical, with a nice automotive vibe. And I also second Oud Cuir d'Arabie; as most Montales, it lasts for days. But I also get a very good longevity from the cheap Estee Lauder Azuree, which can be had at Macys for $40.

cacio

Second the Cuir Mauresque suggestion and will throw in Cuir d'Iris by PG. I also love Knize Ten.

But if you think Tuscan Leather lacked longevity - are you sure it couldn't have been nose fatigue? After a while, our own noses get desensitized to the fragrance we're wearing, so others can smell it even if we can't. I only ask because Tuscan Leather is a huge fragrance!

Knize Ten is easily the top dog. I would also consider Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire.

Cuir de Lancome, you can find it quite cheap(though prices have gone up recently), as it was discontinued.

Read through the boards and it is the most loved blind buy leather fragrance by both sexes.
    DONNA

Montale Cuir d'Arabie, and Montale Aoud Leather...like someone else mentioned, these beasts last ALL DAY, so use sparingly

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    Puredistance M.
    This one.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

I cant imagine TL not lasting on anyone's skin. This stuff is there the next morning on my skin and especially my clothes. Knize Ten is not for everyone, please sample first.

Knize Ten lasts until you wash again. Whenever this may be.

Basenotes Member

I like Knize Ten, but if you want something a little more modern and sexy with plenty of staying power I would go with Rien

TF tuscan leather, IMO.....and you will save a fortune!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    I cant imagine TL not lasting on anyone's skin. This stuff is there the next morning on my skin and especially my clothes. Knize Ten is not for everyone, please sample first.
    +1 spot on!
    the good, the bad, the ugly & the ludicrous...

Royal Leather by Charriol

I am not sure why? I got a 2.5 ml sample from luckyscent but then I sampled at a NM in Vegas and I had the same issue. Maybe I was not generous applying it. I had the same issue with another TF, oud wood. I own a bottle , but it lasts less than 2 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to you all . I guess I have homework to do. More sampling

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Two excellent leathers that last for ages are Cuir Mauresque by Lutens, which lasts for around 10 hours on my skin, and the big bad pappy Cuir d'Arabie by Montale, which lasts for at least double that.

Be warned that Cd'A isn't just long-lived, but strong as an ox for its whole life. Definitely a one-spray kind of scent.
    I have tried the Montale Cuir d' Arabie, and it is a monster , but I was not sure about the animalic smell if I remember right. I will sample the Lutens you suggested. Thank you.

Try Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve. Much better than its bargain price suggests. Two money-to-burn options are Guerlain Derby and Godolphin by Parfums de Marly. The latter is like the TF on steroids.

Yet another vote for Knize Ten

It's not a macho or spicy leather, but my favourite is still Cuir Ottoman.

+1. TL is a beast.

Knize Ten, great also, but not blind buy safe.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

I tried a great deal of them. Aoud and Leather is a great mix when you are looking for longevity. Oddly enough I didn't find Cuir Ottoman or Montale's CDA to be extremely long lasting.

The winners for me are :

Knize 10 Golden Edition. The current original is very weak on my skin. Montale's Dark Aoud is a winner as well.

A good inexpensive leather is Vermeil for men by Vermeil. It's a good everyday scent with great longevity and projection.
    I think I paid less than $25 and it smells amazing. The bottle is very cool too.

Re. Tuscan Leather - a colleague of mine used to wear TL all the time and he could never smell it on himself. I could smell him before he entered the room - seriously. If he'd been in our staff canteen I could still smell Tuscan Leather as clear as day 10-15 minutes after he'd left!! I think certain people become anosmic to certain fragrances (particularly stronger ones), especially if applied higher up the body where they are under the nose, so to speak. A trick is to apply lower down - chest, even belly, and this way the nose isn't overpowered. Plenty of people have reported that this works for them...!

Histoires de Parfums 1740.

I still don't see M as a leather scent, despite its marketing. (Not downtalking it, however; it's my hands-down fav... just not as a leather.)

The most natural-animalic-leather (if that's what you want) and lasts forever on me is Montale's Aoud Cuir d'Arabie.

For a cleaner, more powdery alternative, I'll jump on the KNIZE TEN bandwagon and add that, in several right arm / left arm comparative wearings, the limited GOLD EDITION last twice as long (I'm talking full day on skin and months on clothes)... and amps up the leather while toning down the powder. Just the way I likes it.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Quote Originally Posted by FumeHood View Post
    For a cleaner, more powdery alternative, I'll jump on the KNIZE TEN bandwagon and add that, in several right arm / left arm comparative wearings, the limited GOLD EDITION last twice as long (I'm talking full day on skin and months on clothes)... and amps up the leather while toning down the powder. Just the way I likes it.

Finally I read a review from someone that praises the K10 GE over the original. It really is the superior leather scent. I hope they keep making it FOREVER.

Amouage Interlude

Basenotes Plus

I will change things up a bit...Vintage Hermes Bel Ami.

A masterpiece.

Cheers,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Re. Tuscan Leather - a colleague of mine used to wear TL all the time and he could never smell it on himself. I could smell him before he entered the room - seriously. If he'd been in our staff canteen I could still smell Tuscan Leather as clear as day 10-15 minutes after he'd left!! I think certain people become anosmic to certain fragrances (particularly stronger ones), especially if applied higher up the body where they are under the nose, so to speak. A trick is to apply lower down - chest, even belly, and this way the nose isn't overpowered. Plenty of people have reported that this works for them...!
    Thank you for the suggestion. I still have the sample. I will give it another try the way you described. I love the fragrance and I want it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post

I second Cuir d'Arabie..it lasts forever...also Montale Leather Aoud, Ramon Monegal's Mon Cuir, or Les Nombres d'Or - Cuir by Mona di Orio

L'Essence de Cerutti, very good, refined and off radar.

+1 Cuir Mauresque and Cuir d'Arabie

I cant imagine TL not lasting on anyone's skin. This stuff is there the next morning on my skin.
    I was about to write the same...
    As for other leathers - some wonderful frags have already been suggested by other BN, my pick will be Knize 10.
    One missing from the list is Or Black by Pascal Morabito, though this is not for everyone...

I recommend golden boy by dueto, very similar to tuscani leather but more reasonably priced.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 26th March 2013 at 10:08 AM.

Nicole Miller for Men (plus it's dirt cheap)
    Also check out Xerjoff XJ Homme is pretty good, but expensive.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I'd second Golden boy by Dueto.

treeman5823

Knize 10, Chanel Cuir de Russie, Bandit, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    I will change things up a bit...Vintage Hermes Bel Ami.

A masterpiece.

Cheers,

ericrico
    +10000

+1 Puredistance M. One must enjoy a healthy dose of cumin with their leather to enjoy this one, but it is an extremely long lasting leather scent.

TF Tuscan leather is lasting on me all the day

Update. I revisited the TF Tuscan leather yesterday . I applied it to the chest and wrist ( stayed below the neck) . It lasted 6 hours which is way better than the first experience , but it was close to the skin. My wife couldn't smell at all on me after 10 hours. I ordered some samples to try depending on your suggestions . Thanks to you all. I will update you .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiRobbie View Post
    Histoires de Parfums 1740.
    + Dzing!

The most leathery animals I encountered so far!
    www.smellandtell.wordpress.com <-- my rookie perfume review blog.
    Last review: Histoires de Parfums - 1740
    Say hey!

Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir. Light Lemon and Leather that last about 7 hours.

In terms of longevity and projection, my ranking would be Leather Oud > Tuscan Leather > Cuir d'Arabie, I haven't tried KT or Dzing.

Of those Leather Oud really is remarkable to me, it should be called Civet Leather.

Tuscan Leather lasts days on me. If it gets on your clothes, you'll need to wash them to get it out.

No more than 3 sprays or it will be too over powering. Try resampling it, as it should have great longevity!

Let's get serious about some truly inexpensive (easily less than $20 per bottle) quality leather scents with good longevity;
    Avon Black Suede Leather
    Stetson Rich Suede
    Halston Z-14
    Michael Jordan
    Yacht Man Black

Jeke by Slumberhouse.

I don't see how you didnt get good longevity out of Tuscan leather, but to each their own, I think you've got some great alternatives listed here but im going to second (or is it third and fourth ) Pure Distance M (worth every scent...pun intended) and Knize Ten.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)