Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default I cant believe people think Cool Water smells like Green Irish Tweed

It just blows my mind.
    I got a bottle of Cool water as gift just today and put some on just to see if it really smells like GIT as people say.
    Within 3 minutes, I started getting nauseated and wanted to throw up. I cant believe people think this garbage smells like the heavenly Green irish Tweed. This thing is worse than Yatagan.

Default Re: I cant believe people think Cool Water smells like Green Irish Tweed

Cool water is just more synthetic but I think it is very similar.

Default Re: I cant believe people think Cool Water smells like Green Irish Tweed

They go different direction on drydown but on top notes they smell very similiar especially from distance.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Which people? Do you always believe everything you read?

I happen to like Cool Water, better than I do Green Irish Tweed honestly speaking. But I don't know about the current formulation of CW though.
    Currently wearing: Cuoio by Odori

CW has an interesting but unpleasant note clash to me (Lancaster version). It also has a candy-like quality (quite sweet), unlike GIT, but in general I don't know how violet leaf and iris get confused with neroli, rosemary, etc., even without that quality! Now the Coty CW is more blended and less crisp, so I can understand some saying the drydown of that one is not too far from GIT, though to me it is too muddled, unlike GIT, at that point (GIT is muskier too).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th March 2013 at 09:00 AM.

I have worn both and actually like CW better than GIT. Not by much, but a little bit.

As far as similarity I find them to be very very very close in smell.

edi

I like both and detect more than a passing resemblance.
    Currently wearing: Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Sound Scents

This territory has been covered many times before but the superior smelling original vintage Cool Water smells quite similar to Green Irish Tweed, IMO. That said, the current Cool Water is far from the "garbage" you describe it to be. Each to their own.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Dude, you must have gotten a bad batch b/c despite the Creed worshipers denials, CW and GIT are very similar. TRUE the vintage CW was more similar to GIT, but Almost every time I wear GIT, someone comes up to me and says "Oh, I LOVE Cool Water" and I have to tell them it isn't. Your dramatic "Vomiting" reaction sounds psychosomatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    Dude, you must have gotten a bad batch b/c despite the Creed worshipers denials, CW and GIT are very similar. TRUE the vintage CW was more similar to GIT, but Almost every time I wear GIT, someone comes up to me and says "Oh, I LOVE Cool Water" and I have to tell them it isn't. Your dramatic "Vomiting" reaction sounds psychosomatic.
    I totally agree
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Yep, they do smell alike, with Cool Water built to a price. If my fragrance budget was more restricted I'd buy and wear Cool Water with pride, it's great stuff... Just not as great as GIT!
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

I agree - I own both. I wouldn't do if I thought they were the same fragrance. They go in completely different directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    It just blows my mind.
    I got a bottle of Cool water as gift just today and put some on just to see if it really smells like GIT as people say.
    Within 3 minutes, I started getting nauseated and wanted to throw up. I cant believe people think this garbage smells like the heavenly Green irish Tweed. This thing is worse than Yatagan.
    You are in the minority. I love them both. Always preferred CW until very recently. Both = Classics

Basenotes Junkie Profumo Saggio's Avatar

The modern CW water isn't all that close in my opinion. The vintage stuff was much more natural and better balanced, which made it a better comparison to GIT.
    I don't have a signature fragrance. My signature changes a little bit every day, why shouldn't my fragrance?
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

I think they smell quite different especially on the dry down. GIT has a sort of complex, ambient fizz to it compared to Cool Water's blunt calone assault.

I own and enjoy both.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    It just blows my mind.

I have to agree. I am not really a fan of GIT, but I do appreciate it is very good at what it does. Cool Water though to me is absolute piss, and is one of the few scents that I really will not tolerate. (I have tried 3 or 4 times thinking it must have been a bad day, but no, same every go)
    I should maybe add that I have never tried vintage formulation though.

CW is really a comforting scent to me, and of course a very good alternative to GIT.
    Currently wearing: Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Cool Water's blunt calone assault.
    Except of course there is no calone in Cool Water.

The top notes smell similar, but then they go in different directions IMO.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool Water's similarities are in drydown. They both have some key similarities and key differences.

I prefer Green Irish Tweed, but I also like Cool Water a lot.

The DNA of CW to GIT is 94%

Honestly I detest both. I am much more partial to Chez Bond because it has some creamy vibe to it which I enjoy!

I agree Attila. I still detest Cool Water after multiple wearings spaced at long intervals. The comparison of CW to GIT deterred me from trying GIT for the longest time until I finally included a sample of GIT in my last order. Upon trying the GIT I was amazed at how different they really are. I sense only a vague,slight similarity. I now love GIT despite my strong dislike of CW.

Now try Aspen by Coty - it's a quarter of the price of even CW and is somewhere between CW and GIT in terms of fragrance and quality IMHO!
    Smelling good on a budget!

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo Lapin X View Post
    Except of course there is no calone in Cool Water.
    Really? That's surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Which people? Do you always believe everything you read?

I happen to like Cool Water, better than I do Green Irish Tweed honestly speaking. But I don't know about the current formulation of CW though.
    Agree. I'm the same way. My 1998 bottle of CW smells way better than GIT.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Cool Water's similarities are in drydown. They both have some key similarities and key differences.

I prefer Green Irish Tweed, but I also like Cool Water a lot.
    I find them very similar in the heart, but to me the opening and especially the dry down is where GIT earns it's money. I do like both and they both serve different purposes, but in the end they accomplish the same thing which is they both smell great.
    Last edited by silentrich; 18th March 2013 at 01:35 PM.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Please note since 1988 Cool Water had at least two reformulations.
    The 1988 vintage is somewhat different (much better) from the modern one, huh?

By the way: Cool Water is a Monument to Calone (a molecule discoverd in the Sixties by Pfizer, very similar to sea breeze)....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    By the way: Cool Water is a Monument to Calone (a molecule discoverd in the Sixties by Pfizer, very similar to sea breeze)....
    Cool Water has no more calone in it than, say, Grey Flannel, a very similar fragrance. It is not an aquatic. I think possibly the name and the color of the bottle are deceiving people into thinking it is one.