Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default I cant believe people think Cool Water smells like Green Irish Tweed

It just blows my mind.
    I got a bottle of Cool water as gift just today and put some on just to see if it really smells like GIT as people say.
    Within 3 minutes, I started getting nauseated and wanted to throw up. I cant believe people think this garbage smells like the heavenly Green irish Tweed. This thing is worse than Yatagan.

Default Re: I cant believe people think Cool Water smells like Green Irish Tweed

Cool water is just more synthetic but I think it is very similar.

Default Re: I cant believe people think Cool Water smells like Green Irish Tweed

They go different direction on drydown but on top notes they smell very similiar especially from distance.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Which people? Do you always believe everything you read?

I happen to like Cool Water, better than I do Green Irish Tweed honestly speaking. But I don't know about the current formulation of CW though.

CW has an interesting but unpleasant note clash to me (Lancaster version). It also has a candy-like quality (quite sweet), unlike GIT, but in general I don't know how violet leaf and iris get confused with neroli, rosemary, etc., even without that quality! Now the Coty CW is more blended and less crisp, so I can understand some saying the drydown of that one is not too far from GIT, though to me it is too muddled, unlike GIT, at that point (GIT is muskier too).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th March 2013 at 09:00 AM.

I have worn both and actually like CW better than GIT. Not by much, but a little bit.

As far as similarity I find them to be very very very close in smell.

edi

I like both and detect more than a passing resemblance.

Sound Scents

This territory has been covered many times before but the superior smelling original vintage Cool Water smells quite similar to Green Irish Tweed, IMO. That said, the current Cool Water is far from the "garbage" you describe it to be. Each to their own.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Dude, you must have gotten a bad batch b/c despite the Creed worshipers denials, CW and GIT are very similar. TRUE the vintage CW was more similar to GIT, but Almost every time I wear GIT, someone comes up to me and says "Oh, I LOVE Cool Water" and I have to tell them it isn't. Your dramatic "Vomiting" reaction sounds psychosomatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    Dude, you must have gotten a bad batch b/c despite the Creed worshipers denials, CW and GIT are very similar. TRUE the vintage CW was more similar to GIT, but Almost every time I wear GIT, someone comes up to me and says "Oh, I LOVE Cool Water" and I have to tell them it isn't. Your dramatic "Vomiting" reaction sounds psychosomatic.
    I totally agree
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Yep, they do smell alike, with Cool Water built to a price. If my fragrance budget was more restricted I'd buy and wear Cool Water with pride, it's great stuff... Just not as great as GIT!
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

I agree - I own both. I wouldn't do if I thought they were the same fragrance. They go in completely different directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    It just blows my mind.
    I got a bottle of Cool water as gift just today and put some on just to see if it really smells like GIT as people say.
    Within 3 minutes, I started getting nauseated and wanted to throw up. I cant believe people think this garbage smells like the heavenly Green irish Tweed. This thing is worse than Yatagan.
    You are in the minority. I love them both. Always preferred CW until very recently. Both = Classics

The modern CW water isn't all that close in my opinion. The vintage stuff was much more natural and better balanced, which made it a better comparison to GIT.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

I think they smell quite different especially on the dry down. GIT has a sort of complex, ambient fizz to it compared to Cool Water's blunt calone assault.

I own and enjoy both.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    It just blows my mind.

I have to agree. I am not really a fan of GIT, but I do appreciate it is very good at what it does. Cool Water though to me is absolute piss, and is one of the few scents that I really will not tolerate. (I have tried 3 or 4 times thinking it must have been a bad day, but no, same every go)
    I should maybe add that I have never tried vintage formulation though.

CW is really a comforting scent to me, and of course a very good alternative to GIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Cool Water's blunt calone assault.
    Except of course there is no calone in Cool Water.

The top notes smell similar, but then they go in different directions IMO.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool Water's similarities are in drydown. They both have some key similarities and key differences.

I prefer Green Irish Tweed, but I also like Cool Water a lot.

The DNA of CW to GIT is 94%

Honestly I detest both. I am much more partial to Chez Bond because it has some creamy vibe to it which I enjoy!

I agree Attila. I still detest Cool Water after multiple wearings spaced at long intervals. The comparison of CW to GIT deterred me from trying GIT for the longest time until I finally included a sample of GIT in my last order. Upon trying the GIT I was amazed at how different they really are. I sense only a vague,slight similarity. I now love GIT despite my strong dislike of CW.

Now try Aspen by Coty - it's a quarter of the price of even CW and is somewhere between CW and GIT in terms of fragrance and quality IMHO!
    Smelling good on a budget!

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo Lapin X View Post
    Except of course there is no calone in Cool Water.
    Really? That's surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Which people? Do you always believe everything you read?

I happen to like Cool Water, better than I do Green Irish Tweed honestly speaking. But I don't know about the current formulation of CW though.
    Agree. I'm the same way. My 1998 bottle of CW smells way better than GIT.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Cool Water's similarities are in drydown. They both have some key similarities and key differences.

I prefer Green Irish Tweed, but I also like Cool Water a lot.
    I find them very similar in the heart, but to me the opening and especially the dry down is where GIT earns it's money. I do like both and they both serve different purposes, but in the end they accomplish the same thing which is they both smell great.
    Last edited by silentrich; 18th March 2013 at 01:35 PM.

Please note since 1988 Cool Water had at least two reformulations.
    The 1988 vintage is somewhat different (much better) from the modern one, huh?

By the way: Cool Water is a Monument to Calone (a molecule discoverd in the Sixties by Pfizer, very similar to sea breeze)....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    By the way: Cool Water is a Monument to Calone (a molecule discoverd in the Sixties by Pfizer, very similar to sea breeze)....
    Cool Water has no more calone in it than, say, Grey Flannel, a very similar fragrance. It is not an aquatic. I think possibly the name and the color of the bottle are deceiving people into thinking it is one.

I don't know anything about Cool Water's various formulations. When I smell it now, I get a fragrance that reminds me of GIT, but is not a clone of GIT. It's not repulsive, but I wouldn't wear it.

If I had to wear a cheapo green scent, it would be Aspen, which doesn't smell bad at all.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    This territory has been covered many times before but the superior smelling original vintage Cool Water smells quite similar to Green Irish Tweed, IMO. That said, the current Cool Water is far from the "garbage" you describe it to be. Each to their own.
    CW was quite different back in the day. I have only quickly tested the current CW and immediately noted that it is severely diluted compared with the 90s stuff. It only makes sense that a company would slowly dilute and cheapen materials over the years to reduce overhead.

You can tell that CW is a copy of GIT and I can see how people would confuse them in passing.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

They are both good, but I prefer GIT to the current CW formulation. Chez Bond is very good too, on par with GIT in my eyes.

I am not sure if its been reformulated but when I wore Cool Water in the 90s it was much denser and had an overall richer smell to my nose. I would say that the 90s Cool Water smells much closer to GIT than the version I have smelled in the last couple of years.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    Amouage Interlude Man
    Pure Distance M
    Creed Royal Oud
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Absolue Pour le Soir
    MDCI Chypre Palatin
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Ronia J Oud Assam
    Goti Smoke Essenze

I cant believe you cant smell the similarities. I do agree that CW is much more synthetic though

Most scents are worse than Yatagan.

Quote Originally Posted by Granola View Post
    I totally agree
    +1

And I have both.

I can't believe that one experienced Basenoter once wrote that GIT smelled too much like Cool Water.
    I've spent the last 8 or 9 years wondering what I was thinking at the time.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Well, honestly - hard to tell GIT and CW apart. Yes, GIT is a bit more complex and somehow warmer in the drydown, but even for a trained nose they smell quite similar. I personally do not like either of them, i got a bottle of CW as a gift and ended up using it as deodorant for my car, and as such CW is truly superb
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

I agree, the vintage Cool Water and the modern one are quite different, so someone could say "this is similar to..." mentioning another fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    I am not sure if its been reformulated but when I wore Cool Water in the 90s it was much denser and had an overall richer smell to my nose. I would say that the 90s Cool Water smells much closer to GIT than the version I have smelled in the last couple of years.

GIT came first -- Pierre Bourdon created a cheaper version in 1988 and filled his boots. Chez Bond is an out and out rip of them both.

I wouldn't wear any of them, but more people like them than dislike.

Do we need another thread about this?

Like GIT or hate it, Like CW or hate it...these are just opinions, everyone is entitled to one...BUT there is NO WAY an even semi-experienced nose could say they smell nothing alike...that is just GIT cheer-leading...

Quote Originally Posted by lupo View Post
    ...even for a trained nose they smell quite similar...
    This is a specific claim and when you make such a claim you need to cite at least one person who you view as a "trained nose" and who has said this "on the record," IMO. Otherwise, it sounds like you are just fabricating things to strengthen your notion. Yes, GIT and CW may have quite a bit of dihydromyrcenol, but so do a huge amount of other scents! The "trained noses" would be the people who generated the note pyramids, and they are quite different for these two scents. Moreover, I clearly smell the neroli, rosemary, and tobacco in CW (Lancaster version), but these notes are not in GIT (which has the iris, unlike CW). Saying these two are very similar would mean you can say perhaps 100 others are also very similar, which would be a rather unhelpful claim, again, IMO.

NOTE: I am no "Creed fan boy" and don't think GIT is anything great or special. I've tried at least a dozen of their scents and think the company is highly overrated here at BN.

treeman5823

1.) I think it smells very much like Green Irish Tweed (both made by Pierre Bourdon [not that that really matters], both have a similar structure [dihydromercenol, apple, ambroxide maybe] and tonality). 2.) I think Yatagan is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    1.) I think it smells very much like Green Irish Tweed (both made by Pierre Bourdon [not that that really matters], both have a similar structure [dihydromercenol, apple, ambroxide maybe] and tonality). 2.) I think Yatagan is wonderful.
    Could you explain what you mean by tonality? And why do you think GIT has an apple note?

See: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/228...p-Very-Similar

Note that in a recent review of Nautica Voyage I mentioned that that apple note was obvious in the Lancaster version if I just took the cap off the bottle !.

And I think what a lot of people miss is how sweet CW is relative to GIT. In retrospect, as a newbie, I had very little perception of sweetness in scents.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th March 2013 at 01:15 AM.

I have a hard time believing people don't think Cool Water smells similar to Green Irish Tweed.

They're both good in their own right. I prefer Green Irish Tweed while my dad prefers Cool Water.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    I have a hard time believing people don't think Cool Water smells similar to Green Irish Tweed.

They're both good in their own right. I prefer Green Irish Tweed while my dad prefers Cool Water.
    Yes, compared to vintage Kouros you are correct, but not when one detects many of the notes listed and also has a good sense of sweetness. GIT is also muskier in the drydown. If you go to an Amazon tribe that has never seen a car and show them a 4 door Hyundai and a 4 door BMW of the same colors, they will likely think they are just about the same thing, right?

The point is that this is not an "objective" situation. We are not all able to detect notes with the same proficiency, nor do we have the same tastes. To some people CW and GIT probably smell exactly the same. Some people say that Kouros smells like a public lavatory in desperate need of a cleaning. To them it does smell like that, and at one time I think I would have agreed.

Okay so where do we go from here? The notes listed are very different and that's what I smell, along with a lot more sweetness from CW. However, if you can't smell the rosemary, neroli, tobacco, and other notes that are in CW but not GIT, then why are you telling people who can that they are "wrong?" Isn't that rather presumptuous? If someone tells you that to them an apple and a pear taste nearly the same, they are not wrong, but you know they taste quite differently to you. If they tell you that you should think that they taste the same, there is something wrong with how that person perceives the world !
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th March 2013 at 04:21 AM.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Could you explain what you mean by tonality? And why do you think GIT has an apple note?

And I think what a lot of people miss is how sweet CW is relative to GIT
    Tonality: the character of a piece as defined by the key it is in. To me, both GIT and CW are played in the same key, if you will. To answer your second question, I feel GIT does have an apple note, just not as spritely or green as is CW's. And yes, CW is sweet: I attribute this to a good deal of coumarin.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, does anyone smell corn tortillas in Cool Water's drydown? Delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I own and enjoy both.
    I love the brevity of your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Yes, compared to vintage Kouros you are correct, but not when one detects many of the notes listed and also has a good sense of sweetness. GIT is also muskier in the drydown. If you go to an Amazon tribe that has never seen a car and show them a 4 door Hyundai and a 4 door BMW of the same colors, they will likely think they are just about the same thing, right?
    I don't think anyone is arguing that they're identical or one is not made up of higher quality ingriedients. The argument is if Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed smell similar. It's a rather simple, yes. It's pretty hard to argue against that considering the massive amount of people that seem to agree, mistaking one for the other constantly and the entire reason this thread was created.
    Even though fragrance is subjective, it's only subjective to a point. I have never heard of anyone mentioning that Kouros is similar to A*Men. They may share a note or two but, being similar scents are something they are not.
    Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed is an entirely different story and they're far more similar in comparison than say, a BMW and a Hyundai. It would be fair to say I don't think even the Amazon people would mistake a BMW and a Hyundai for one another even if they've never seen a car. Even children would don't understand the differences in the value of those cars still understand the difference in quality and the differences in visual appeal of the two.

We all recall those fake imitation off brand Oreos and how they weren't as good as the real thing. But, were they similar? Yup.
    Last edited by MrFragranceReview; 20th March 2013 at 04:13 AM.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I think that coolwater smells more synthetic but only to the trained nose

Quote Originally Posted by diogenes65 View Post
    dude, you must have gotten a bad batch b/c despite the creed worshipers denials, cw and git are very similar. True the vintage cw was more similar to git, but almost every time i wear git, someone comes up to me and says "oh, i love cool water" and i have to tell them it isn't. Your dramatic "vomiting" reaction sounds psychosomatic.
    ^^^^this^^^^

Blog Entries

I think this could have been posted to any GIT thread instead of starting a new thread.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!