Code of Conduct

Default Macy's Cologne Preferences

Hi guys,

I'm new to fragrances but after watching a lot of the reviewers on YouTube, I've become very intrigued and want to start my own collection. I currently own YSL's L'Homme and La Nuit de L'Homme. I love both but I can't seem to get the original L'Homme to last past 5ish hours of wear. Being that I'm at work for 8 hours, I find this a little problematic.

I have a Macy's card for $100 and I was wondering if you guys would have any suggestions for a 23 year old man? I know Macy's has less selection than Neiman-Marcus/Nordstrom/Sephora so I'm open to other suggestions as well but I would prefer Macy's. I'm liking Bleu de Chanel alot and it does last a good while on my skin, but I'm worried it's too similar to L'Homme (am I correct on this?). I don't know if it's just the cool bottle getting to me lol.

Default Re: Macy's Cologne Preferences

Welcome to Basenotes.

I think if I were buying something from Macy's it would be one of the Chanels (Allure Homme Sport or Platinum Egoiste). Bleu de Chanel would be fine, too (girls seem to like it), but I consider it a boring, rather run of the mill fragrance. Any of these should be fine for work. Gucci Pour Homme II would be something I would look at as well.

I'm seeing Burberry London (for women) online, but I don't see it for men on the online site. If Macy's does sell it for men, that would be another great one for work.

Aside from work, I would consider something like A*Men Pure Havane. I don't know if they are selling it in the stores, but you can now buy it through Macy's online and apply the gift card.

Macy's sells Dior Homme Sport but I'm not seeing Dior Homme or Dior Homme Intense. Any of those would be good, too, if available.
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 18th March 2013 at 09:01 AM.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://http://www.basenotes.net/thre...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

The Macy's here in Harrisburg, PA actually has a nice selection of frags. If you want longevity, try SpiceBomb. depending on what type of frag. you like (aquatic, spicy, citrus, etc.) there are a lot of nice ones. I suggest if you have trouble like I do with longevity, spritz the little cards until you find one you like, then spritz your arm. Walk around the store, see if it disappears or you can still smell it strong after an hour. Le Male, A*Men, and Thierry Muggler Pure Malt are all sold by Macy's and smell nice and have decent longevity. I happen to really like YSL L'Homme Libre...but I seem to be in the minority here on Basenotes.

Bleu de Chanel

you can probably use the gift card online and get better options than what is offered in your store. I know the store around me has very limited options.

Blue de Chanel will get you a lot of compliments and it lasts. Another one of my favorites that last is Bvlgari Man . I am not sure if it get noticed as much as blue de Chanel though.

As mentioned previously, Gucci Pour Homme II is a nice one. Welcome bro.

The only similarity of BdC and L'Homme is that both fragrances are more mainstream and versatile.

I would recommend the following from the Macy's lineup based on my recollection of fragrances I saw this past weekend.

Versace Pour Homme
    A*Men Pure Havane
    Bleu de Chanel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Bleu de Chanel and L'Homme are in similar genres but they are different enough to warrant purchasing both of them. Both are very good, but in all honesty though, I think L'Homme is superior to Bleu De Chanel.

Bleu de Chanel is definitely worth checking out and longevity is great. Also the new Gucci Guilty Black is pretty nice too.
    twitter.com/_notufatjesus

Fan di Fendi & Hanea Mori HiM are worth looking at .

Oh, yea, I forgot Versace Pour Homme..It rocks!!!

Welcome to basenotes. Try Chanel ALlure Homme sport.

My favorites at Macy's are either the Aramis range (not in all macy's, but several do have Aramis 900, Tuscany, etc.) or the Mugler (special mention here for the Cologne or for A*Men Pure leather, which I prefer to the regular A*Men). A*Men should not have longevity problems. I also love O de Lancome (the regular one), but I don't think it will go past the 5hr mark either.

cacio

I would suggest either Bleu de Chanel or Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme.

Thanks for the input and hospitality guys! I actually didn't know Pure Havane was being sold (I thought it was discontinued). Is there a similar fragrance like it that I could try out to tell whether I would like it or not? I'm personally not a big fan of Angel Men because that opening is too much for me. I heard HiM is somewhat similar from watching CoachRob's review. Sadly they do not have Pure Malt which seems like one I would love.

I'll definitely look into Versace Pour Homme, Dior Homme Sport, and Allure Home Sport!

D&G The One, unfortunately it probably won't last as long as you would hope but I get many compliments on it.

dolce and gabbana the one!!!

also just carry a decant of the cologne youll be wearing for the day.

problem solved
    Check out my Narciso Rodriguez for Him youtube review!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SImDN1VjOU

Others have mentioned these, but I agree with:

Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    Chanel Bleu de Chanel
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    D&G The One

+1 D&G The One: Great spicy fragrance with low longevity and average projection but wonderful smell.
    Chanel Allure Homme: Great crowd pleaser! Smooth!
    Ed Hardy Love and Luck
    Dior Fahrenheit

They have Cartier Pasha and Santos both very long lasting fragrances, and great for work!

Cartier Declaration d'Un Soir
    Bleu de Chanel
    Pure Havane

Those would work...for work.

Dependent

Another nod for fahrenheit over here!

Hey fellas, I just returned from the mall today and looked through my possible options... and now I'm.. sorta open to buying two frags lol.

Luckily there was a few bottles of Pure Havane there and it's on my left arm right now. I'm really liking how it smells but it doesn't feel like it would be a big hit with the ladies. I kind of feel a little young for it although it seems phenomenal if I were 2-3 years older. Is this really that limited? Does it not show up on stock often? Should I just get it now and use it sparingly?

I actually tried 1 Million again because of a sales associate and I can't tell if I'm eh about it or I love it. The smell itself isn't that appealing to me but I can't help but think that ladies would go nuts over this. Probably won't buy it though since I don't need 3.4oz of that juice.

I'm leaning towards getting the Bleu de Chanel moreso than Allure Homme Sport, Versace Pour Homme, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Dior Homme Sport, and DG The One.

Bleu is a safe choice, if you're unsure of the others I'd say give them a pass for the moment. Pure Havane just got to retailers so I doubt it'll be gone anytime soon and 1 Million has been around for a while.

Keep In Mind that a lot of Frags you could buy at Macys you could find somewhere else at a significantly better price. For this reason alone I would stick to shopping maybe Chanel and Dior since these are rarely discounted much if at all. I personally would not be happy to buy say Blvgari Pour Homme at macy's for 80$ and find it online for 40$, ya know?

Bleu De Chanel
    Versace - Eau Fraiche
    Allure Homme Sport
    AdG
    Armani Code

Too bad that don't carry Dior Homme

Scentiments.com has Chanels for sale (many of them testers, without the box). They don't offer much of a discount, but they frequently do offer 10% off deals (currently "MarchMad"), which is better than nothing, especially for Chanel fragrances that are very hard to find at the online discounters. They often seem to be out of a lot of fragrances, but you can occasionally hit on some. For instance, they seem to have many of the Bvlgari fragrances, even some that places like Fragrancenet.com don't have.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://http://www.basenotes.net/thre...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Is 1 Million another scent that rarely goes on sale? It's near full price on Amazon. I kinda like the fun carefree feel it gives off. I actually have a friend who works at Macy's so I can get either Bleu or 1 Million for about 60-65ish.

I wore a sample of Bleu today and although I like it, I realized I like my L'Homme better. I'm considering buying Havane because that vanilla smells really good to me.

I figured as of now I can just wear L'Homme as my signature everyday scent and carry an atomizer to counter it's lack of longetivity + winter is over in San Diego so it's going to fare alot better now. I love La Nuit for most of my night time affairs like dates, bars, clubbing, and formal events but I want to diversify. However, I'm not really sure what smells more refined/classy at the Macy's counter so I think I'm opting to buy 1 Million there for clubbing instead unless anyone knows a place where I can get it cheaper

I'd get Spicebomb but they don't sell it at Macy's sadly.
    Last edited by dinonuggets; 21st March 2013 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dinonuggets View Post
    Is 1 Million another scent that rarely goes on sale? It's near full price on Amazon. I actually have a friend who works at Macy's so I can get either Bleu or 1 Million for about 60-65ish.
    You can try looking around various online sites for good deals on 1 Million. I got mine for around $60 from Perfumania but they're out of stock of the 3.4 at the moment. There are testers available on ebay though.

For the limited quantity that is out there I would look into Pure Havane and Gucci II. Havane may not be around much longer and Gucci II is starting to go higher and higher online.

1 Million is a great frag for clubbing, look at Givenchy Play or Play Intense as well.

If your friend works at Macy's they should know about Search and Send which will open up your choices quite a bit and the items will be delivered to your house for free. Don't forget, if you decide you really don't like your fragrance from Macy's you can return it, within reason of course

And if your friend is using the Macy's discount to get your frags, you might wanna keep that on the down low although his Macy's discount also works at Bloomingdales....
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Excellent, I'll look into Givenchy Play as well.

What's your guys' opinion on 1 Million vs Spicebomb for clubbing? I'd make a new topic but I don't wanna clutter the board lol.

Dior Homme Sport, if they're currently carrying it.

Would go with Spicebomb between those two.
    Excellent, I'll look into Givenchy Play as well.

What's your guys' opinion on 1 Million vs Spicebomb for clubbing? I'd make a new topic but I don't wanna clutter the board lol.

These days I prefer Spicebomb.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I would go with the Bleu de Chanel. I is a safe scent which lasts. You can wear it all year round and women appreciate its non-offensive, yet masculine presence. You can't go wrong with the Bleu.

Bleu is a good, versatile scent.
    1 Million is also pretty nice, IMO. People claim it's very "common" and being worn by young guys "everywhere," but I have yet to smell it on anyone.
    The suggestion early in this thread of Bvlgari Man is a good one too. I really don't understand some of the bad reviews of this one, but it does have some fans here on BN.

I think all these are compliment-getters... especially the first 2.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Thanks to everyone who advised me on this thread! I ended up picking up 1 Million for now and I'm probably going to pick up the Bleu once I run out of L'Homme.

From my experience going barhopping last night, 1 Million did not disappoint!

Versace Pour Homme, Aqua Di Gio, Armani Code Sport, Hugo Boss Bottled and Chanel Allure Homme Eau Extreme are all great scents that will last 8 hours plus.

I have a Macy's card for $100 and I was wondering if you guys would have any suggestions for a 23 year old man?

Basenotes Junkie

Mugler Amen, DG One, Play Intense and spicebomb are different genres and you should try them.