Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Post got Invasion Barbare, curious story

more than a year ago i got a bottle of IB from the perfumeshoppe. LS was out, and they had it listed for $230
    ($20 less). it shipped from Canada. when i opened the package i realised the bottle had leaked, bluish color on the white package (shamelessly cheap and simple box for this expensive scent). but this was not what stroke me.... the smell was absolutley horrible - harsh, heavily synthetic woods and some distant violets... when i sprayed on my forearm it got even worse... nothing like the smooth juice in the small sample i had got from a BNter. smelling it over time it got more more frustrating... really horrible!
    sitting in disbelief i first wondered how come is this so bad - is it fake or so heavily spoiled?, second- how to get rid of this bottle and my money back. i called the seller and very politely explained all my concerns, as a result the lady tried her best to convince me to keep it, in series of email correspondence. when i realised i am not getting a refund, i finally asked for a store credit and she agreed. i returned the bottle at my expence to their brunch in Arizona.
    a week ago i smelled the last drop of the sample i had and could not get a rest until ordered again, this time from LS. the bottle arrived today. opened the box inpatiently... realised the bottle had leaked again- same bluish color over the white cheap box. still haunted by the horror, i sniffed with fear... to realise that the first bottle was not fake but really heavily spoiled... sprayed some on me, and now i am wearing it happily. i still find the woody notes quite synthetic, but not like the monster chemie out of the first bottle. this juice stands to the praise i read about. hard to compare to the sample since i finished before this order.

no, don't tell me my nose has progressed since....

this experience makes me think that this juice gets easily spoiled when exposed to extreme temp. and/or humidity.... the first bottle layed over a week at the usps storage facility in california to be cleared by customs... it was incredibly hot back then.

i wonder if anybody else got a similar experience, i really hope not! if you go for a bottle be warned about it. for a first time i experience this with a non-vintage bottle.
    Last edited by mspa; 18th March 2013 at 03:26 PM.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

offsite splits: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=617

current top 5, random order: Xerjoff Zafar, Vero Onda, Chanel Coromandel, Indult Reve en Cuir, Ex-Idolo 33

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Default Re: got Invasion Barbare, curious story

It's an absolute shame that such an expensive perfume leaks this easily.
    I would be embarrased to sell a $230 perfume with lower quality than a $20 cheapie.

Shame on you, MDCI!

Post Thanks / Like

Perfumes can go bad quite quickly, but the extent of damage sounds excessive. In addition, MDCI seems to have batches problem too, Luca Turin reported one about Promesse de l'aube in his book.

I second suppressor's statement that it is not acceptable that an expensive brand like that has problems with leaking (or with batches, for that matter).

cacio

I have held off ordering a sample of IB because of multiple reports of poor bottle quality. I just don't want to sniff it, fall in love with it, and then be faced with the tempation of ordering a bottle that may end up leaking everywhere.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thats very unfortunate that you had such a bad experience with bottle leakage. I ordered mine from LS and it came perfectly packaged no leaks whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I also ordered Chypre Palatin and it arrived in the same box perfectly packaged with no leaks. I am curious, did you purchase the bottle with the plastic bust? SN: I have taken my IB in and out of my mini fridge multiple times with no problems.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    Amouage Interlude Man
    Pure Distance M
    Creed Royal Oud
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Absolue Pour le Soir
    MDCI Chypre Palatin
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Ronia J Oud Assam
    Goti Smoke Essenze

Luckily did not experience a misfortune like this with mine.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I got mine from LS a few weeks ago and had no problems. No leaks and fantastic juice. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

There was something about bad bottle over a year ago, but my understanding, this has been corrected.

I recently did splits on several bottles, and none arrived as described above. They all came to me in perfect condition.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

i purchased the regular bottle with no bust. how does the sprayer work on yours? mine works like frapins. does not press easily.
    also, the level of the juice is about on that upper line... i wonder how much has leaked out.
    Last edited by mspa; 19th March 2013 at 12:41 AM.

current top 5, random order: Xerjoff Zafar, Vero Onda, Chanel Coromandel, Indult Reve en Cuir, Ex-Idolo 33

I was assure by the man himself that the leaking had been corrected an was only with 15 bottles. I'll post the email later
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Post Thanks / Like

Very unacceptable. I will now refrain from buying IB as I'd planned to get it.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to speak for Claude Marchal, the owner of MDCI, but I find him to be a very classy and generous man. He's a true gentleman, and I would bet money that if any of you really had a problem with a bottle, he would make things right.

My understanding is that there was a batch of bottles that had the atomizers improperly attached that led to the leaking problem (something about the metal being crimped so liquid leaked out). The problem should be fixed.

If you are buying the bottle from a third party (Perfume Shoppe or Luckyscent), then I would hope that they would also make things right if you get a bad bottle. If they don't, then that is really a problem with them as a retailer. Of course, when you're paying that amount of money for a fragrance, everything should be perfect. The reality is that MDCI is a small outfit, mistakes happen, and while there was an issue, they addressed it and remedied those that were affected.

Again, Claude is really a stand-up guy. I really believe he will make any issues right if you bring it to his attention. All of my dealings with him have impressed me beyond my expectations.

Claude is very nice and the new shipment to luckyscent was assured to have no problem.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Post Thanks / Like

What struck me as odd is that the OP never went to MDCI personally. The issue was within the Perfumed Shoppe. I live near and frequent the Scottsdale location and they do not allow returns. They have a Vancouver location as well and am curious if the bottle was not sent between shops and been through a customs search an possible repackaged improperly ? If this was an issue with leakage, im sure MDCI would like to know and reimburse any losses or damages. It is beside the point since the OP was given a 100% credit for another bottle. Sounds to me like a resolved issue within The Perfumed Shoppe. Still a pain, nonetheless. It really is a great fragrance and waiting for my own shipment of IB from the Perfume Shoppe, Scottsdale.

Post Thanks / Like

well, i guess this is how ones do business. i am sure they got reimbursed by MDCI for that bottle i sent back, after the little lady from vancouver took days to convince me first that i should be fine with the leakage, second , i should be fine with the messed up juice. no refund but store credit.
    i also dont understand though, since they are so great and sincere at MDCI, how come they allow bad batches... small company, it should be easy to observe things.
    Last edited by mspa; 19th March 2013 at 07:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Very unacceptable. I will now refrain from buying IB as I'd planned to get it.

Oh, just buy it already...

Don't let one man's story dissuade you and deprive you of this wonderful fragrance.!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    well, i guess this is how ones do business. i am sure they got reimbursed by MDCI for that bottle i sent back, after the little lady from vancouver took days to convince me first that i should be fine with the leakage, second , i should be fine with the messed up juice. no refund but store credit.
    i also dont understand though, since they are so great and sincere at MDCI, how come they allow bad batches... small company, it should be easy to observe things.
    I know. I went to return a bottle and had difficulty doing so, as well. It could have been handled much better than it did. What I questioned is if your bottle was sent between stores and was damaged form their doing and not an issue with the MDCI packaging or bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    I know. I went to return a bottle and had difficulty doing so, as well. It could have been handled much better than it did. What I questioned is if your bottle was sent between stores and was damaged form their doing and not an issue with the MDCI packaging or bottle.
    it was shipped from canada, i was instructed to return it to arizona. not sure how it moved before and after