Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bleu de Chanel...what a suprise for me!!

So I took the plunge on a 1.7oz of Bleu. I was scared bcuz of all the generic, synthetic rhetoric it gets. Honestly the first two or three times I wore it it was ok. I did not BEASTLY LONGEVITY AND SILLAGE on my skin. So I kept trying and finally I get it. It has a nice musky accord that is masculine yet still fresh and citrusy. True it may be somewhat generic synthetic aquatic...but its good and ita quality. I have come to really appreciate it and there is much more going on that what I iniatially thought. This well def get a lot of play in my rotation as a daily driver and even a date scent.

One another note I think one can develop nose fatigue with this as my girlfriend and daughter both said I was projecting hard with this bad boy. Maybe it happens when my body heat rises..nonetheless im impressed.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel...what a suprise for me!!

Bleu is a good one. Enjoy bro.

Basenotes Plus

I agree with you and so would some other Basenotes members that you have to grow to like it. I didn't like it at first either.
    Currently wearing: Silver Cologne by Amouage

I agree, first time I tried it last year i didnt think much of it. Thought it was just ok. Got a sample a few months ago and gave it a good full day wearing. Fell in love with it and is now one of my favorites.
    twitter.com/_notufatjesus

Ye its a bit generic but the ladies love it!

Not the greatest but very versatile and I enjoy it.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I also enjoy it and glad I own it.

Quote Originally Posted by coney718 View Post
    I agree, first time I tried it last year i didnt think much of it. Thought it was just ok. Got a sample a few months ago and gave it a good full day wearing. Fell in love with it and is now one of my favorites.
    This is exactly what happened to me. 1st try - meh. 2nd try about 6 months later - loved it - bought a bottle instantly. Great fragrance.

Bleu is not bad at all, and something you can wear just about any place and be fine. I get pretty good longevity with it.
    Got it from my older daughter for Xmas.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Above average and very versatile. Makes a great signature scent.

Love at first smell for me. I wear it all the time, as it's one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Ye its a bit generic but the ladies love it!
    Yes, this one does.... a very nice elegant scent on a man.
    Currently wearing: Civet by Houbigant

I've read so many posts on this being uninspired, unoriginal, generic, "smelling like laundry detergent" etc. The only person who can decide whether or not to like something is you. I tested it, liked it, bought it, and haven't regretted it. If it ends up running out sometime in the future I don't think I'll rebuy it, but nonetheless still a great, quality fragrance. Extremely versatile

Yeah yet another great perfume that the basenotes snobs blasted into oblivion, but the stuff smells great. The generic description to me is I'm sorry simply not true, how frequent is it to see a designer incense-grapefruit fragrance? Anyone? Once more? It smells unique, I've smelled and smelled and smelled many fragrances, nothing smells like Bleu. Maybe there's some niche house out there with something, but in terms of designer scents, this stuff is gold.

p.s. maybe it's the incensy nature of it, but no other "fresh" scent (except maybe Aventus) lasts as long as this on me.

Basenotes Member

Is it because those ingredients which were the hallmark of the wonderful scents from the '70s and '80s are now disallowed, but that Blue has been formulated within the limitations of the new restrictions, hence the longevity and consistency? It would be nice to find something modern which wasn't of low quality. The only Modern fragrance I own is BB, which is just too sweet.

Bleu is firing on all cylinders

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Bleu is firing on all cylinders
    Its not bad and its not good either....lol.

I don't question anyone's taste here, as I have respect for my fellow Basenoters - but, personally, I feel Bleu de Chanel is a sellout to the mainstream by a house that has created so many great classics. To some, it is offensive in how inoffensive it is...LOL!

It is the rock 'n roll equivalent of Van Halen's, "You Really Got Me" - all that talent to cover a boring and redundant song that is nearly trance music, but at least they made it their own.

Cheers,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

My review from 2011:

I gave this one last try and I agree with Michael over at his fromtoptobottom - perfumepatter blog, in that I view this fragrance as "a formula that includes generic, slightly synthetic citrus, sweet cola-ish musk and that iso e super, slightly buzzy cedar accord." It's got too much iso e super for me, so right there is a "deal breaker." If you want something beyond "safe," this is for you. You can smell like generic "man" in a "modern" nation. Beyond the iso e super, this "blobs" up for me, and generates a unpleasant sensation. It doesn't smell good to me, just "synthetic." And if you think I just like vintage or niche, let me point out that I like Joop! Jump Summer Temptation. If you want a recent "men's" fragrance, that is at least somewhat interesting and without any major issues, I suggest trying that one. If I did like BdC, I'd just buy some iso e super and a couple of other accords from the perfumer's apprentice and make something like this for myself, probably for less than $20 per 100 ml. Plenty of household products smell quite nice, but they are not "perfumes." Chanel seems to understand this and cranks out fragrances like BdC for the "oh that smells nice" people of the world, of which there are a huge number (hence great profit potential), obviously.

If chaneldecided to discontinue bleu today... people will be loving this fragrance more...dont know what you have til its gone....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Basenotes Member

Bleu is one of my favourite fragrances, very versatile, very safe and guaranteed compliments.

Going to work, sitting at home, doing activities, on a date, at a party, it's great for all occasions and seasons.

bleu now becomes Le Male and Terre d'Hermes. I smell it everywhere.

I think Bleu gets a bum rap here on BN, so good for you that you got something you dig.

How does Bleu fare in the wintertime?

Quote Originally Posted by dinonuggets View Post
    How does Bleu fare in the wintertime?
    Do you mean can you use it during the winter or how the longevity is compared to other seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Yeah yet another great perfume that the basenotes snobs blasted into oblivion, but the stuff smells great. The generic description to me is I'm sorry simply not true, how frequent is it to see a designer incense-grapefruit fragrance? Anyone? Once more? It smells unique, I've smelled and smelled and smelled many fragrances, nothing smells like Bleu. Maybe there's some niche house out there with something, but in terms of designer scents, this stuff is gold.

p.s. maybe it's the incensy nature of it, but no other "fresh" scent (except maybe Aventus) lasts as long as this on me.
    Yes, we do and for good reasons , but if it works on you, thats great.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Do you mean can you use it during the winter or how the longevity is compared to other seasons?
    The latter.

Sometimes I'll spray something like BdC on the back of a jacket so that the masses can have what they want, while I spray something I prefer on the chest.

poor performance, IMO! in the cold, i meant!
    ...Sailing the Oceans of Boredom....

Quote Originally Posted by dinonuggets View Post
    The latter.
    I haven't had it long enough to comment on any season aside from winter, but in the winter I'd say I get at least 5-6 hours longevity with Bleu.