Code of Conduct

Default Do you guys wear powder and/or concealer for photos and stuff?

It is said that many men nowadays are using concealer and invisible powder to remove shadows under the eyes and to remove shine from the face. Are you one of the new generation?

Default Re: Do you guys wear powder and/or concealer for photos and stuff?

Nope. That's something a girl would do.

No, however I use beauty balms, often also with concealing effects, not just/not particularly for photos, but pretty much during my everyday life (applied, of course, in a thin, almost imperceptible layer).

I haven't used concealer yet, but I don't see anything wrong. Not just for puffy eyes, but also for breakouts or the like. Of course, one has to be careful to choose the exact color for the concealer, or it will stick out. As for the shine, I really don't see the point, except of course if one is appearing on TV.

cacio

Not at all.

Na not me either, mate. I'm 29.

I have combination skin, but not so extreme that I have a skin oil issue. I just make sure to use a matte moisturiser instead of a shiny one (I use Men-U matte moisturiser) and that's all I ever need. I am lucky to have pretty smooth skin, and I think other cosmetics would be likely to clog my pores, plus you have to take it off at the end of the day!

I think most male TV presenters do these days. You gotta do what you gotta do.

for swap/sale:

Guerlainista

No makeup for me. I'm old skool like that.
    I use moisturizer every day and serum a couple of times a week when I remember, but nothing opaque.
    To each his own, but to me it's ok for a man to preserve his mug, but not to enhance.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Only for TV and photoshoots. Powder clogs up the pores. A skincare routine is essential though, along with regular exercise, good sleep and hydration/nutrition. So we should really cut down the time spent on BN time, lol.

There's no need to do so.
    With Photoshop Elements I can fix any problem.
    In fact, just apply any noise reduction program to a photo with the settings at high, and 20 years instantly gets wiped of the faces of middle aged and early/hard life aged people.
    Regards,
    Renato

It strikes me as a bit desperate TBH.

Come on, that screenshot from Death In Venice was unnecessary. That make up was excessive and grotesque on purpose. It had a message that physical beauty is a fleeting thing and you can't get it back once you're old.

That is not what I am talking about here. I was discussing ways to improve your image a little bit when you take a photo or when you didn't sleep well the other night. I meant something simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Come on, that screenshot from Death In Venice was unnecessary. That make up was excessive and grotesque on purpose. It had a message that physical beauty is a fleeting thing and you can't get it back once you're old.

That is not what I am talking about here. I was discussing ways to improve your image a little bit when you take a photo or when you didn't sleep well the other night. I meant something simpler.
    Yes, it portrays an extreme. No offence intended. That image immediately popped into my mind when I read your OP.

Of course, if you ask a question, you risk getting disagreeable answers.

I think it's funny, not offensive.

For a special photo and the like. Yes, why not? The photo keeps and the make up washes off. No-one would know anyway.

There are enough ladies out there wearing coloured polyfiller and it doesn't look good that thick, so I hate to think what it would be like on Mr Bristles. Make up applied well looks fantastic, but badly.... eeeech. Good grooming is the key for a man IMO. Nice haircut, clean clothes, attention to detail, and in the flesh, the pong you choose to waft.

Why not use a subtle concealer if you've had a hard night or a very gently tinted cream or powder if pale? Or even a slight application of mascara to darken blond lashes (but better to use eyelash dye because it cannot smudge and give you away). The real problem would be your bristles. The powder or cream would pile up beside a bristle and it wouldn't work very well unless you were either not very hairy or very close shaven indeed.

Good make up also takes time, practice, a steady hand and light application with some attention to detail. If that isn't possible then don't do it. Eat a healthy diet with some oily fish, plenty of veg and fruit and that would do the job instead. Plus some decent lighting of course. The old way was a stocking over the lens for soft focus.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I think it's funny, not offensive.

For a special photo and the like. Yes, why not? The photo keeps and the make up washes off. No-one would know anyway.

There are enough ladies out there wearing coloured polyfiller and it doesn't look good that thick, so I hate to think what it would be like on Mr Bristles. Make up applied well looks fantastic, but badly.... eeeech. Good grooming is the key for a man IMO. Nice haircut, clean clothes, attention to detail, and in the flesh, the pong you choose to waft.

Why not use a subtle concealer if you've had a hard night or a very gently tinted cream or powder if pale? Or even a slight application of mascara to darken blond lashes (but better to use eyelash dye because it cannot smudge and give you away). The real problem would be your bristles. The powder or cream would pile up beside a bristle and it wouldn't work very well unless you were either not very hairy or very close shaven indeed.

Good make up also takes time, practice, a steady hand and light application with some attention to detail. If that isn't possible then don't do it. Eat a healthy diet with some oily fish, plenty of veg and fruit and that would do the job instead. Plus some decent lighting of course. The old way was a stocking over the lens for soft focus.
    I don't think men should look too pretty. If he's had a rough night or a rough life, it should show on his face - not be covered up with concealer.

Good grooming? Yes, absolutely. But a man should never be applying mascara, etc. much less with enough frequency that he is skilled enough at it to not look like a clown. IMO of course. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

An old friend once told me of a Mexican expression (originally about John Wayne, I think) that states that a man should be "feo, fuerte, y formal" - ugly, strong and dignified. I think that's not too far off.

This post was meant to be about a photo shoot wasn't it?

Although I agree the rugged look is a lovely manly one and believe me, I'm all for that. It isn't quite fair to dismiss all help.
    What if someone isn't so blessed with naturally handsome, strong looks and needs a little enhancement? If someone has such blond lashes that a little dye would help exaggerate an eye that is otherwise unremarkable not having been blessed with a frame of dark lashes. I meant totally subtle additions not full on orange pancake face with super sweeper sticky spider lashes..... lol

All the lovely 'natural' looking ladies you see with apparently no make up on... look again.

So far I've never felt the need to hide my beauty under powder or concealer.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    This post was meant to be about a photo shoot wasn't it?

Although I agree the rugged look is a lovely manly one and believe me, I'm all for that. It isn't quite fair to dismiss all help.
    What if someone isn't so blessed with naturally handsome, strong looks and needs a little enhancement? If someone has such blond lashes that a little dye would help exaggerate an eye that is otherwise unremarkable not having been blessed with a frame of dark lashes. I meant totally subtle additions not full on orange pancake face with super sweeper sticky spider lashes..... lol

All the lovely 'natural' looking ladies you see with apparently no make up on... look again.
    Ah yes - I was thinking just for casual photos - family, vacation pics, etc.

I have less of an issue with it for a professional photo or film shoot. I wouldn't do it, but I guess if it was ok for Walter Cronkite, who am I to criticize.

The idea of a man opting to apply it himself to enhance his appearance in daily life just seems wrong to me, though. Again, that's how I see it, but I'm not saying everyone should feel the way I do.

We will have to ask the OP. I may be the one who has misinterpreted it.