Code of Conduct

Default What's your favourite By Kilian fragrance and why?

I've never tried a By Kilian frag before. What's your favourite, and what does it smell like to you? Notes? Similar to?

Default Re: What's your favourite By Kilian fragrance and why?

My favorite fragrance out of the three I've tried (Love Don't be Shy, Sweet Redemption, Back to Black) is the last mentioned!

Back to Black is everything I've ever wanted in a fragrance. Back honey, overtly sweet, with a shot of strawberry marmalade, under a bed of vanilla flavored tobacco. Just the way I like it!

Rose Oud because I love rose.

Straight To Heaven because it reminds me of a clothing/shoe store my parents use to take me as a kid.

Incense Oud smells the best to me. Somewhat similar to Bond no 9 Silver Factory, but more natural.

I've actually just bought 1.5 ml samples of Incense Oud, Beyond Love, Prelude to Love, Pure Oud, Straight to Heaven and Liaison Dangerous, so I'll be testing them over the next few weeks!

Straight to Heaven

Own several from this great house. Hard to pick a single favorite.

1. Incense Oud - deep, rich, full, and haunting incense fragrance. Pure magic and mystique.
    1a. Straight to Heaven - Rum / Cedar very well blended. Refreshing, big compliment getter, versatile.

These 2 are both in my top 10 fragrances for sure.

Also love Amber Oud (but leans a little too feminine for me to wear very often), Back to Black (very long lasting, but a little too powdery for me some times, so I also have to be in the right mood for this one also), and Rose Oud, which is similar to Armani Prive Rose d'Arabie, is one of the best rose fragrances I have ever smelled.

They have some others as well, that are certainly worth checking out, but these are my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Straight to Heaven
    Me too.

So far, I dug Amber Oud.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

A Taste of Heaven - Unbelievingly creamy barbershop lavender & vanilla. My favourite comfort scent.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    A Taste of Heaven - Unbelievingly creamy barbershop lavender & vanilla. My favourite comfort scent.
    And lasts forever.

I have three of his Oud's. Amber, Pure and Incense along with Taste of Heaven and Straight to Heaven. Back to Black is also a wonderful fragrance.

His recent fragrances have not struck an accord with me. To me, they are all very forgettable.

There was rumor, that in the next several months, he will be releasing some additional Mens fragrances, but again, this is a rumor that has not been substantiated.

My favorite is the one that I bought a bottle of, Back to Black. Love how the honey interacts with the other notes. It's sweet but not too sweet and it lasts for a looong time.

Pure Oud - one of the highest quality and authentic smelling oud perfume.
    Extreme Oud - same as above but even higher concentration.
    Incense Oud - same as above but substitute out with incense.
    Extreme incense - same as above but with higher concentration.
    Rose Oud - oud & rose - the epitome of class
    Gold Oud - same as above but with higher concentrations.
    Straight to Heaven - like rum n raisin ice cream without the raisins and ice cream.
    Beyond Love - a voluptuous tuberose.
    Sweet Redemption - a voluptuous orange blossom.
    Cruel Intentions - not a crowd pleaser and never intended on being one but a stunner. A weird complex thing that screams jolie laide with a lot of estrogen in the voice and testosterone in the muscle.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Pure Oud....subtle elegance.

Own the below 6, all which I found to be long lasting, unique, high quality & had the WOW factor, as for notes / review, @hedonist222 description's are to the point. I didnt like the others from this line, but the 6 below are equally impressive in their own way for me to choose just 1...
    Incense Oud / Back to Black / A Taste of Heaven / Straight to Heaven / Pure Oud / Cruel Intentions

My favorite would be Back to Black. Love the tobacco accord. It's not in your face like some other tobacco fragrances (like Tobacco Vanille) and is played out just right.

After that, I really like Rose Oud. However, gotta be careful with the sprayer as this one is pretty strong. I only sprayed it once on each arm and people still commented on it.

I like the following two after that:
    A Taste of Heaven
    Cruel Intentions

The rest of the Kilians are decent. Haven't really experienced one that I disliked.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Straight to Heaven - warm, spicy-woody with hints of dried fruits. One of the better compositions involving the much 'maligned' synthetic woody amber.

Rose Oud - a rose/oud combo in just the right proportions (to my preference). Black Aoud's richer cousin.

A Taste of Heaven - an elegant take on Caron pour un Homme's lavender/vanilla combo. Best part? The dose of absinthe.

Incense Oud. Just 'wow!'. Best of class imho.

Beyond Love. Fresh non-oily tuberose. Easy to wear green floral.

Back to Black. Opulent, smoky-powdery tobacco/honey oriental. But not easy to wear.

I've only tried A Taste Of Heaven. I gotta say though, it's pretty damn good. Quite similar to Caron pour un Homme, except none of the nasty cheap musk and oakmoss. Caron has more of a spiced apple type accord in the opening as well, and ATOF is more vanilla and powdery.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Sound Scents

Nearly the entire Oud series (sans the very average and mundane smelling Amber Oud) is great and I love all the rest of them. That said, Incense Oud is my favorite from the house, as I love incense in general, and it is my favorite incense scent.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Back to Black.

It reminds me of high class tobaconists. Years ago, when zi was a kid, my father worked for a wholesale tobaconists and he sometimes took me into work on Saturdays. B2B reminds me of that place.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I found most of them disappointing (as in boring) and most of the names are simply ridiculous. However, I have also found a few I adore:

A Taste of Heaven - a gorgeous absinthe scent, my favourite in the absinthe genre
    Love and Tears - a beautiful, tender, non-indolic jasmine
    Amber Oud - a great amber scent

I also appreciate Black to Black a lot, though I find it too much for myself. Straight to Heaven is also pretty good.

Back to black and specifically the honey dry down.
    Incense oud is also special and one of the last harsh oud perfumes out there.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 26th March 2013 at 10:07 AM.

I have liked every one I've tried...trouble is like I said above, the ouds don't stand out compared to say Mona di Orio's Oud, or Montales Zillion Aouds, or perhaps even Bond no 9's takes on their ouds. Oud isn't just a single note like say "lemon" Oud smells different depending on where it comes from. I just wish Pure Oud and Oud Incense stood above the rest of the ouds in some way.

Love....don't be shy.....by far my favorite Kilian, reminds me of feeling of being in love. Everything feels soft, pretty, warm, happy, encouraging, etc. such a great fragrance, I feel it's unisex in that the feelings it evokes should be marketed towards both genders

Default Thanks

I've not tried any of them but I'm encouraged now to find somewhere that sells them. Thanks!

Back to Black & Rose Oud. Btw, do y'all know of any splits for Rose Oud? I would love a decant of this!

Back to Black. Pipe tobacco. Shares similarities with Tobacco Vanille and Bogart pH, including rather limited versatility imo.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Incense Oud and Pure Oud.
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

The oud collection, just too good!
    In particular: Amber oud & Incense oud, the oud just like how I want it to be.

Pure Oud.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Back to Black, honey honey honey

Pure oud almost made me throw up on the fragrance woman.

The best are Incense oud, Musk oud, Straight to heaven, Back to black, Cruel Intentions but this one is a little to sweet for me but still a great scent.

I've only tried Love Don't be shy, Back to black, pure oud, and rose oud. I really really like rose oud. When I run out of my decant, I could see myself buying a full bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy1985 View Post
    Pure oud almost made me throw up on the fragrance woman.
    Yikes!
    (1434)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Yikes!
    (1434)
    I really appreciate that my first experience with real oud was chaperoned by an oud expert. He really set up the experience carefully, so that we knew what to expect. That enabled me to have a truly enjoyable experience, and to get an idea of which kinds of ouds I liked, and which kinds I didn't. I liked the really sharp and chypre-like ones, as opposed to the more complex "barnyard" varieties. But they're all pretty neat stuff. It's just an order of magnitude more fragrance than one gets in Western formulations.

My favorite By Kilian has to be Back to Black, but Straight to Heaven is a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    I've only tried Love Don't be shy, Back to black, pure oud, and rose oud. I really really like rose oud. When I run out of my decant, I could see myself buying a full bottle.
    I bought a full bottle of rose oud because when i was sniffing it at saks it smelled great. Then when i took it home and sprayed some on the next day it gave me a bad headache. I dont know why it did given it smells wonderful in the store. Stuffs potent.

Yikes!
    (1434)
    I know. True story.

Back to Black..why? because I like it!

Back To Black !
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Back To Black is fragrance heaven.

Liaisons dangereuses comes second. Delicious plum in the likes of Montales Dark Purple.

Straight to heaven.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Straight to heaven ...blended nicely
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Back to Black. Best honey I know of at the high end, though a nice old Perlier bain moussant would do just as well.

I have to give the nod to Straight to Heaven, but I also am a huge fan of Back to Black. Decisions, decisions.

Straight to Heaven is absolutely amazing, especially in cold weather. When Kilian himself told me at South Coast Plaza to smell Straight to Heaven even though I had pre-sniffed several other By Kilians because he thought it would be the best fit for me, he was dead-on. It transports you to an entirely different place from where you are every time you get a whiff of it. It is masterfully blended, has gotten me countless compliments, and is well worth the price.

Back to Black also transports me to another world; this time to PK's: a tobacconist and newsstand in Des Plaines, Illinois that I visited frequently as a very young child to look at kids' and computer magazines (and get candy on the side). It smells exactly like how I remember the shop: numerous pipe tobaccos mixed with candy, newsprint and magazines. And since I had fond memories of PK's, I fell in love with Back to Black.

Both have excellent longevity, though the drydown of Straight to Heaven is far closer to the skin than that of Back to Black.

I also like A Taste of Heaven, Amber Oud, and Prelude to Love as well, but Straight to Heaven and Back to Black remain my favorites from the By Kilian line.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 12th December 2013 at 01:08 AM.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

My second post here,
    Pure Oud: best oud sprayer ever produced
    I do not care for the rest

Incense Oud...rich "in-your-face" incense and spice fragrance.

I've only tried some from the line (A Taste of Heaven, Back to Black, Cruel Intentions, Liaisons Dangereuses) and "been there, done that, smell better" are the feeling I have for all of then. Lack of creativity and uniqueness is the common pattern I find from the ones I've tried

Straight to Heaven; its great for winter.