Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Fresh, aquatic? Rose scent

Try LOUD by Tommy hillywhatshisname. The femme version has more rose than the homme.

Blog Entries

Interesting thread!

+1 on Paestum Rose, but it's not aquatic. Quite the contrary. It's quite arid, but somehow...... if you are open to exploring....

Ramon Monegal L'Eau De Rose, a clear, bright rose. Now this one is watery. Watery but not weak.

HDP Rosam. A minerally, slighty medicinal rose and saffron. Again not watery or light as such, but airy and dry. High interest level. Androgynous leaning to masculine.

But my best suggestion for you is to try The Rosines. The masculines and genderless ones in particular. They do a discovery pack with every fragrance in the range. It's well priced so don't worry that you will be geting the femmes too. You could try them as well of course! I really think that this would be a great set for you to play with. There is a marine rose, and a sea spray rose, also a minted rose. There are some which match your spec, and lots of other to discover!

As always, you must report back!!
    Last edited by Foustie; 19th March 2013 at 01:29 PM.

I will just repeat what others have said: L'Ombre dans L'Eau is a crispy summer scent, with a delightful green rose in the center, together with blackcurrant leaves. It is a wonderful perfume for the summer, lasts a long time and receives lots of compliments from ladies and gentlemen alike. Please buy it, you won´t regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maque View Post
    In addition to the suggestion of Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana, you could try Hermès Eau de Pamplemousse Rose or Concentré de Pamplemousse Rose, which are basically grapefruit and light rose. I find the rose here even more subtle than for Rose Ikebana.
    Cosign! I like Pamplemouse Rose, and it has been on my to buy list for a while now! I need to just go ahead and buy it for the spring/summer. Somehow tho, I think I may like the Eau de version more than the Concentre. I'll have to compare the two once more before I make a decision...

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Another hand up for L'Ombre dans l'Eau and Paestum Rose​.
    Last edited by perfaddict; 19th March 2013 at 04:18 PM.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Wow great suggestions everyone. Looks like I'm going to have to spend a bit on samples. The first one I'll try is L'ombre dans L'eau since its available to test where I live.

Fousie, minted rose sounds incredible! Any other scents with mint and rose?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

It's Rosine Diabolo Rose that has the lovely mint note, as well as citrus. A wonderful fragrance in warm weather! I enjoy my bottle. I first tried this from a sample set I bought from Les Parfums de Rosine (they ship internationally) but bought the bottle from an eBay seller who now sells on their own website:
    http://www.universalperfumesandcosme...product_id=706

Have you tried Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur? The geranium note is similar to rose, and it is also minty.

pls check out gai mattiolo uomo.
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London
    Spring-Autumn : Bvlgari Pour Homme & Aqua Fahrenheit
    Summer : Bvlgari Aqva & Bvlgari Extreme
    All-Rounders : Prada Man & Bleu de Chanel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    It's Rosine Diabolo Rose that has the lovely mint note, as well as citrus. A wonderful fragrance in warm weather! I enjoy my bottle. I first tried this from a sample set I bought from Les Parfums de Rosine (they ship internationally) but bought the bottle from an eBay seller who now sells on their own website:
    http://www.universalperfumesandcosme...product_id=706

Have you tried Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur? The geranium note is similar to rose, and it is also minty.
    Thanks 30Roses. Yes dudelove. It's Diabolo Rose, and having a look at Geranium Pour Monsieur is a great idea. So, get sampling! I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on!

Lumiere Noir +1
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...
    Currently wearing: Holy Shit by Pekji

Quote Originally Posted by kimo View Post
    Try Cartier Declaration Soir, not aquatic but really nice rose for its price.

Current Splits: Amouage Beloved Man - AVAILABLE TODAY
    +1 for Declaration D'un Soir. Not your aquatic with rose but a good rose based summer scent with Cartier hint.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Thanks 30Roses. Yes dudelove. It's Diabolo Rose, and having a look at Geranium Pour Monsieur is a great idea. So, get sampling! I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on!
    A possibility, while trying Geranium pour Monsieur at Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle, is to try Bigarade Concentrée also. Bigarade Concentrée happens to be a composition by Jean-Claude Ellena, and features bitter orange and rose. So, it may be fit the fresh-rose theme.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelove View Post
    That's why I mentioned I didn't like it. And its the opening I got turned off by. To me I got some spicy opening I didn't like. Well, everyones tastes differ right
    Oh, sorry about that.

I read about....90% of your post and replied. Just noticed you mentioned LN there at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    +1 for Declaration D'un Soir. Not your aquatic with rose but a good rose based summer scent with Cartier hint.
    This is a beautiful scent. Bright and versatile. A very well balanced rose scent without being too feminine. One of my top favourites.

Two that spring to mind are Cabaret by Gres and Azzaro Acteur. Great prices on both and there is a lightness of touch in the Cabaret which alludes to an aquatic heritage with a lemon fizz. The Acteur is a slightly powdery musky rose which is deeper. both great in my opinion and worth investigating.

Coming at this the other way, fresh aquatic first, rose second, would be Lacoste Essential.
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Try out Declaration D'un Soir for sure ! Another to try is vintage Alain Delon Samurai ( if you can track it down).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Midnight in Paris EDP, Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Maque View Post
    Your request for a combination of fresh & rose is likely to lead to suggestions that would seem 'feminine' to you. Most 'masculine' roses are dark (less fresh) and earthy. MFK Lumière Noire pour Homme is a rose–patchouli fragrance, and many other similar fragrances are dark (e.g. LAP Voleur de Roses, Dior Midnight Poison, Davidoff Zino).
    I agree with this.
    Most lighter/fresher rose fragrances will likely strike you as feminine.
    Many Basenoters wear stereotypically "feminine" fragrances with great success.
    They have the poise, character and self confidence to do so without a problem.
    You too may have these qualities and if so, will enjoy many of the fine suggestions made to you.

My suggestion would be to start your rose journey with L'Artisan Voleur de Roses.
    It is definitely earthy, but it is a wet earth which I find still works well in summer.
    Just be very light on the trigger as the top notes are quite strong and can appear like petroleum if over applied.

Haven't seen you in a while, musky monkey!
    keepin' it musky
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Haven't seen you in a while, musky monkey!
    Hello Knightowl... I have been out of it for a while... lately I've just been lurking... time to contribute again ;-)

Armani Rose Alexandrie
    Penhaligon's Peoneve
    Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet
    Amouage Lyric Man

I also love Hammam Bouquet, but it is not fresh by any means. The dry down is more oriental. It has sandalwood.

Alright, here's an update to the thread.

I only managed to try L'ombre dans L'eau out of all the recommendations in this thread unfortunately. It's a beautiful scent I must admit, but starts with this bitter green note that's very loud and was quite off putting. But once the rose came in the heart it was really good. I had to think twice about it due to the opening. So...

I ended up purchasing a 15ml bottle of Hermessence Rose Ikebana, which made the best first impression on me. I don't know about other people but it's probably the only fresh rose scent that I feel is not as feminine as the rest. Maybe because of the dominant citrus in the opening.

I'm just surprised no one mentioned Rose Ikebana before this!
    Last edited by dudelove; 25th December 2013 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelove View Post
    I'm just surprised no one mentioned Rose Ikebana before this!
    Errr... didn't the first reply to your OP suggest Rose Ikebana?

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    Errr... didn't the first reply to your OP suggest Rose Ikebana?
    LOL my bad I missed that!

Rose Ikebana-very nice and clean scent

If you can find a bottle, L'Eau Bleu d'Issey Eau Fraiche is an aquatic rose fragrance. Very crisp, clear and refreshing. The basenotes are also really interesting - they somehow managed to recreate the smell of wet rocks. It's a very underrated and well-done fragrance.

Attached Images Attached Images

Basenotes Junkie

L'Eau Bleu d'Issey Eau Fraiche is sold on Amazon. Cartier is a darker rose for my nose. I can think of lyric that is fresh and tf cafe rose but those are on the niche and more expensive side.

I wanted to mention Declaration d'un Soir because it does seem to have a slug of Calone later in its development (which ruins it for me), but hey, there's a small aquatic element right there.

Acqua di Parma Colonia is a fresh rose as well.
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Interesting thread!

+1 on Paestum Rose, but it's not aquatic. Quite the contrary. It's quite arid, but somehow...... if you are open to exploring....

Ramon Monegal L'Eau De Rose, a clear, bright rose. Now this one is watery. Watery but not weak.

HDP Rosam. A minerally, slighty medicinal rose and saffron. Again not watery or light as such, but airy and dry. High interest level. Androgynous leaning to masculine.

But my best suggestion for you is to try The Rosines. The masculines and genderless ones in particular. They do a discovery pack with every fragrance in the range. It's well priced so don't worry that you will be geting the femmes too. You could try them as well of course! I really think that this would be a great set for you to play with. There is a marine rose, and a sea spray rose, also a minted rose. There are some which match your spec, and lots of other to discover!

As always, you must report back!!

The Ramon Monegal L'Eau De Rose I can recommend.
    Currently wearing: Aleksandr by Arquiste