Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fresh, aquatic? Rose scent

I'm looking for a rose scent for myself, I'm in my early 20s. I'm looking for something that's very fresh, suitable for daytime and casual wear. Almost like aquatic? I don't know if I'm making any sense here.

I'll admit I haven't tried many rose scents but I've tried a few. Something in my ballpark would be like, Un Jardin Sur Le Toit by Hermes, but it turned abit sour on my skin. The other one was Diptyque L'eau Rose, but that was too feminine.

The other I've tried were too dark, too old lady like for my taste. I didn't like Lumiere Noir, I know many are going to mention it.

Or maybe rose is just not for me? And should be left to the women?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fresh, aquatic? Rose scent

You could try Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana. Created by J C Ellena, just like Un Jardin Sur Le Toit.

Top notes are grapefruity and the rose is subtle. Not too feminine at all.

Lumiere Noir has a beautiful "aquatic" like opening. The opening in Lumiere Noir is one of the best I've experienced. Unfortunately, I don't like rose scents and after all, it is a rose-centered fragrance. Otherwise, I'd pick up a bottle in a heartbeat.

You should definitely take a look at it.

give l'ombre dans l'eau a try. its my summer staple

Lyric Man by Amouage is a fresh, long-lasting masculine rose.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

That's why I mentioned I didn't like it. And its the opening I got turned off by. To me I got some spicy opening I didn't like. Well, everyones tastes differ right

Armani Prive Rose Alexandaire is a watery and transparent rose scent that would be perfect for spring and summer. Only downfall is i find it leans more toward the feminine side; a beautiful rose none-the-less.

Rosissimo by Parfums des Rosine.

Jardin sur le toit has a strong green note, so I second l'ombre dans l'eau, which also has an arresting top green note (though it turns sweeter later). Alternatively, for a watery rose, CDG 2 (not CDG 2 man), or, if you dare, Anais Anais, which some find very masculine but others think of it as feminine.

If you mean aquatic in the sense of marine, then there's the expensive Histoires de Parfum Rosam, which is a rose with a strong metallic and slightly marine note. Very masculine, but also very strong and extremely long lasting, certainly unlike the delicate constructions of Ellena.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by dudelove View Post
    I'm looking for a rose scent for myself, I'm in my early 20s. I'm looking for something that's very fresh, suitable for daytime and casual wear. Almost like aquatic? I don't know if I'm making any sense here.

I'll admit I haven't tried many rose scents but I've tried a few. Something in my ballpark would be like, Un Jardin Sur Le Toit by Hermes, but it turned abit sour on my skin. The other one was Diptyque L'eau Rose, but that was too feminine.

The other I've tried were too dark, too old lady like for my taste. I didn't like Lumiere Noir, I know many are going to mention it.

Or maybe rose is just not for me? And should be left to the women?
    Your request for a combination of fresh & rose is likely to lead to suggestions that would seem 'feminine' to you. Most 'masculine' roses are dark (less fresh) and earthy. MFK Lumière Noire pour Homme is a rose–patchouli fragrance, and many other similar fragrances are dark (e.g. LAP Voleur de Roses, Dior Midnight Poison, Davidoff Zino).

In addition to the suggestion of Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana, you could try Hermès Eau de Pamplemousse Rose or Concentré de Pamplemousse Rose, which are basically grapefruit and light rose. I find the rose here even more subtle than for Rose Ikebana.

Creed Jardin d'Amalfi

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Creed Jardin d'Amalfi
    Great suggestion! I love this fragrance, which is indeed fresh (light and uplifting), and there is rose (a little subtle). The only problem is, it is not available in Singapore. Unless the OP is based somewhere in the US or Europe, then it would be difficult to obtain.

Jardin d'Amalfi is something I wouldn't be afraid to blind buy. But it'll definitely be a split.

I'm not afraid of wearing something that's slightly feminine. I'm more afraid of giving off the old lady vibes that my friend always complains about when I test rose fragrances. She herself is looking for a daytime rose scent so I've sniffed a few of the more feminine rose fragrances as well.

Those Hermes suggestions are interesting, Ellena is one of my favourite perfumers

Try Czech & Speake No. 88.

Along with rose it has geranium and bergamot which brighten things up, a little frangipani for a touch of the exotic, plus a base of sandalwood and vetiver.

You can buy it from Cambridge Chemists for a reasonable price.

(Not really aquatic though.)
    Last edited by Picassoutine; 19th March 2013 at 05:42 AM.
    “When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.”

Jean Klein

A few other suggestions, not necessarily fresh:
    Serge Lutens Sa Majesté La Rose (may be too feminine; I feel it falls into the same ballpark as L'Ombre dans L'Eau)
    Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau (green rose, exists in two versions, EdT is greener than EdP, while EdP is lusher and may be more feminine)
    Dior Privé Ambre Nuit (warm and sweet)
    Dior Privé Oud Ispahan
    Guerlain Rose Barbare
    Last edited by Maque; 19th March 2013 at 06:28 AM. Reason: corrected mistake on Diptyque

You might want to give the light and refreshing Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie a sampling.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

L'ombre dans L'eau by Diptyque is not aquatic but it is a very fresh, green garden smell with rose being in the center
    Rose 31 by Le Labo is also a nice rose scent. Slightly powdery & spicy but fresh enough for casual & daytime
    If you do not fear fragrances target for women then Rose Essensuelle EDT by Bvlgari is a watery rose, violet & berry combo that when hit the skin it smells really unisex

I too do not like Lumiere Noir since there is no rose in there and it's just a lousy copy of Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDP with a ridiculous price tag
    Last edited by jasonx; 19th March 2013 at 04:19 AM.

L'Ombre dans L'eau is a very fresh rose fragrance and very unisex.

Blog Entries

I agree that L'Ombre Dans L'Eau is unisex and excellent. It's black currant plus Bulgarian rose, but it smells quite a bit like fresh tomato stems-- as when you've just picked a tomato from the plant.

Basenotes Plus

Good call on L'Ombre dans L'Eau. But go easy on the trigger. It projects well and may come across a little screechy/sharp.

Another elegant rose for a gentleman is Domenico Caraceni 1913. But it's probably discontinued though a pre-loved bottle pops up every now and then.

Diptique L'Ombre dans l'Eau is a green and watery rose, very wearable. Amouage Lyric is a beautiful and wonderful masculin rose. Le Labo Rose 31 is a very creative and sexy rose. They are all good rose scents for your order. And I wanna add a bright and shine rose name Rosamunda by Laboratorio Olfattivo.
    Last edited by chocolateguy; 19th March 2013 at 10:39 AM.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

I use L'artisan Voleur de Roses for casual wear. Maybe try that.

Okay looks like I have to give L'Ombre dans l'Eau a try. Green scents are my kinda thing.

Okay looks like I have to give L'Ombre dans l'Eau a try. Green scents are my kinda thing.
    Ditto.

Green and rose are two of my faves. As usual Basenoters come through with something inspired.

As far as green goes, have you tried Jardin du Poète? Not rosy, but some of that luscious tomato-leaf green. (Really basil.)
    Last edited by Picassoutine; 28th April 2013 at 10:46 PM.
    “When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.”

Jean Klein

Quote Originally Posted by Xqizit View Post
    give l'ombre dans l'eau a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I agree that L'Ombre Dans L'Eau is unisex and excellent. It's black currant plus Bulgarian rose, but it smells quite a bit like fresh tomato stems-- as when you've just picked a tomato from the plant.
    Great scent - Rose, but refreshing and green.

I agree that you need to steer clear of it if you don't like the smell of tomato leaf.

Interesting that „L'Ombre dans l'eau” is mentioned so often. I don't find it fresh at all. To me it's stifling.
    Yesterday I sampled „Rosae Mundi” by Profumum Roma. I find it to be a fresh, masculine rose.

Kenzo Power Cologne
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    You might want to give the light and refreshing Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie a sampling.
    This is the one that first came to mind. It is not my favorite rose scent (or even close) but it definitely fits the bill best in my mind and has a very enthusiastic following on the whole...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Try Cartier Declaration Soir, not aquatic but really nice rose for its price.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 26th March 2013 at 12:35 PM.

Have you tried Montale Louban? It is not "aquatic", but it is a nice "dusty rose" that isn't "dark" like Black Aoud is. Louban is certainly a sleeper...you don't see it mentioned much here on BN, but it is quality.

Try LOUD by Tommy hillywhatshisname. The femme version has more rose than the homme.

Interesting thread!

+1 on Paestum Rose, but it's not aquatic. Quite the contrary. It's quite arid, but somehow...... if you are open to exploring....

Ramon Monegal L'Eau De Rose, a clear, bright rose. Now this one is watery. Watery but not weak.

HDP Rosam. A minerally, slighty medicinal rose and saffron. Again not watery or light as such, but airy and dry. High interest level. Androgynous leaning to masculine.

But my best suggestion for you is to try The Rosines. The masculines and genderless ones in particular. They do a discovery pack with every fragrance in the range. It's well priced so don't worry that you will be geting the femmes too. You could try them as well of course! I really think that this would be a great set for you to play with. There is a marine rose, and a sea spray rose, also a minted rose. There are some which match your spec, and lots of other to discover!

As always, you must report back!!
    Last edited by Foustie; 19th March 2013 at 01:29 PM.

I will just repeat what others have said: L'Ombre dans L'Eau is a crispy summer scent, with a delightful green rose in the center, together with blackcurrant leaves. It is a wonderful perfume for the summer, lasts a long time and receives lots of compliments from ladies and gentlemen alike. Please buy it, you won´t regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maque View Post
    In addition to the suggestion of Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana, you could try Hermès Eau de Pamplemousse Rose or Concentré de Pamplemousse Rose, which are basically grapefruit and light rose. I find the rose here even more subtle than for Rose Ikebana.
    Cosign! I like Pamplemouse Rose, and it has been on my to buy list for a while now! I need to just go ahead and buy it for the spring/summer. Somehow tho, I think I may like the Eau de version more than the Concentre. I'll have to compare the two once more before I make a decision...

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Another hand up for L'Ombre dans l'Eau and Paestum Rose​.
    Last edited by perfaddict; 19th March 2013 at 04:18 PM.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Wow great suggestions everyone. Looks like I'm going to have to spend a bit on samples. The first one I'll try is L'ombre dans L'eau since its available to test where I live.

Fousie, minted rose sounds incredible! Any other scents with mint and rose?

Blog Entries

It's Rosine Diabolo Rose that has the lovely mint note, as well as citrus. A wonderful fragrance in warm weather! I enjoy my bottle. I first tried this from a sample set I bought from Les Parfums de Rosine (they ship internationally) but bought the bottle from an eBay seller who now sells on their own website:
    http://www.universalperfumesandcosme...product_id=706

Have you tried Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur? The geranium note is similar to rose, and it is also minty.

pls check out gai mattiolo uomo.
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London
    Spring-Autumn : Bvlgari Pour Homme & Prada Man
    Summer : Bvlgari Aqva & Aqua Fahrenheit
    All-Rounders : Terre D'Hermes & Bleu de Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    It's Rosine Diabolo Rose that has the lovely mint note, as well as citrus. A wonderful fragrance in warm weather! I enjoy my bottle. I first tried this from a sample set I bought from Les Parfums de Rosine (they ship internationally) but bought the bottle from an eBay seller who now sells on their own website:
    http://www.universalperfumesandcosme...product_id=706

Have you tried Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur? The geranium note is similar to rose, and it is also minty.
    Thanks 30Roses. Yes dudelove. It's Diabolo Rose, and having a look at Geranium Pour Monsieur is a great idea. So, get sampling! I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on!

Lumiere Noir +1
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Quote Originally Posted by kimo View Post
    Try Cartier Declaration Soir, not aquatic but really nice rose for its price.

Current Splits: Amouage Beloved Man - AVAILABLE TODAY
    +1 for Declaration D'un Soir. Not your aquatic with rose but a good rose based summer scent with Cartier hint.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Thanks 30Roses. Yes dudelove. It's Diabolo Rose, and having a look at Geranium Pour Monsieur is a great idea. So, get sampling! I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on!
    A possibility, while trying Geranium pour Monsieur at Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle, is to try Bigarade Concentrée also. Bigarade Concentrée happens to be a composition by Jean-Claude Ellena, and features bitter orange and rose. So, it may be fit the fresh-rose theme.

That's why I mentioned I didn't like it. And its the opening I got turned off by. To me I got some spicy opening I didn't like. Well, everyones tastes differ right
    Oh, sorry about that.

I read about....90% of your post and replied. Just noticed you mentioned LN there at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    +1 for Declaration D'un Soir. Not your aquatic with rose but a good rose based summer scent with Cartier hint.
    This is a beautiful scent. Bright and versatile. A very well balanced rose scent without being too feminine. One of my top favourites.

Two that spring to mind are Cabaret by Gres and Azzaro Acteur. Great prices on both and there is a lightness of touch in the Cabaret which alludes to an aquatic heritage with a lemon fizz. The Acteur is a slightly powdery musky rose which is deeper. both great in my opinion and worth investigating.

Coming at this the other way, fresh aquatic first, rose second, would be Lacoste Essential.

Try out Declaration D'un Soir for sure ! Another to try is vintage Alain Delon Samurai ( if you can track it down).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Maque View Post
    Your request for a combination of fresh & rose is likely to lead to suggestions that would seem 'feminine' to you. Most 'masculine' roses are dark (less fresh) and earthy. MFK Lumière Noire pour Homme is a rose–patchouli fragrance, and many other similar fragrances are dark (e.g. LAP Voleur de Roses, Dior Midnight Poison, Davidoff Zino).
    I agree with this.
    Most lighter/fresher rose fragrances will likely strike you as feminine.
    Many Basenoters wear stereotypically "feminine" fragrances with great success.
    They have the poise, character and self confidence to do so without a problem.
    You too may have these qualities and if so, will enjoy many of the fine suggestions made to you.

My suggestion would be to start your rose journey with L'Artisan Voleur de Roses.
    It is definitely earthy, but it is a wet earth which I find still works well in summer.
    Just be very light on the trigger as the top notes are quite strong and can appear like petroleum if over applied.

Haven't seen you in a while, musky monkey!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Haven't seen you in a while, musky monkey!
    Hello Knightowl... I have been out of it for a while... lately I've just been lurking... time to contribute again ;-)

Armani Rose Alexandrie
    Penhaligon's Peoneve
    Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet
    Amouage Lyric Man

I also love Hammam Bouquet, but it is not fresh by any means. The dry down is more oriental. It has sandalwood.

Alright, here's an update to the thread.

I only managed to try L'ombre dans L'eau out of all the recommendations in this thread unfortunately. It's a beautiful scent I must admit, but starts with this bitter green note that's very loud and was quite off putting. But once the rose came in the heart it was really good. I had to think twice about it due to the opening. So...

I ended up purchasing a 15ml bottle of Hermessence Rose Ikebana, which made the best first impression on me. I don't know about other people but it's probably the only fresh rose scent that I feel is not as feminine as the rest. Maybe because of the dominant citrus in the opening.

I'm just surprised no one mentioned Rose Ikebana before this!
    Last edited by dudelove; 25th December 2013 at 06:21 PM.

I'm just surprised no one mentioned Rose Ikebana before this!
    Errr... didn't the first reply to your OP suggest Rose Ikebana?

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    Errr... didn't the first reply to your OP suggest Rose Ikebana?
    LOL my bad I missed that!

Rose Ikebana-very nice and clean scent

If you can find a bottle, L'Eau Bleu d'Issey Eau Fraiche is an aquatic rose fragrance. Very crisp, clear and refreshing. The basenotes are also really interesting - they somehow managed to recreate the smell of wet rocks. It's a very underrated and well-done fragrance.

Attached Images Attached Images

L'Eau Bleu d'Issey Eau Fraiche is sold on Amazon. Cartier is a darker rose for my nose. I can think of lyric that is fresh and tf cafe rose but those are on the niche and more expensive side.

I wanted to mention Declaration d'un Soir because it does seem to have a slug of Calone later in its development (which ruins it for me), but hey, there's a small aquatic element right there.

Acqua di Parma Colonia is a fresh rose as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Interesting thread!

+1 on Paestum Rose, but it's not aquatic. Quite the contrary. It's quite arid, but somehow...... if you are open to exploring....

Ramon Monegal L'Eau De Rose, a clear, bright rose. Now this one is watery. Watery but not weak.

HDP Rosam. A minerally, slighty medicinal rose and saffron. Again not watery or light as such, but airy and dry. High interest level. Androgynous leaning to masculine.

But my best suggestion for you is to try The Rosines. The masculines and genderless ones in particular. They do a discovery pack with every fragrance in the range. It's well priced so don't worry that you will be geting the femmes too. You could try them as well of course! I really think that this would be a great set for you to play with. There is a marine rose, and a sea spray rose, also a minted rose. There are some which match your spec, and lots of other to discover!

As always, you must report back!!

The Ramon Monegal L'Eau De Rose I can recommend.