Code of Conduct

Default Synesthesia (and an interesting article)

I thought some here might enjoy this:

"Some People Really Can Taste The Rainbow"

Plenty of us got our fill of green-colored food on St. Patrick's Day. (Green beer, anyone?) But for some people, associating taste with color is more than just a once-a-year experience.

These people have synesthesia — a neurological condition in which stimulation of one sense (e.g., taste) produces experiences in a totally different sense (e.g., sight). According to researcher Sean Day, approximately one in 27 people has some form of synesthesia.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if a disproportionally high number of people on Basenotes have some form of synesthesia. I suspect that those with synesthesia are more in tune with their senses than the average person (partly due to trying to understand why they perceive things so differently), and that likely leads to them being more able to appreciate their senses than the average person. Just a guess from a guy who has very good reason to make such a guess

Anyway... it's a neat article.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Default Re: Synesthesia (and an interesting article)

Interesting. Thanks

Feeling is just a perception; smells, colors, tastes, don't actually happen/exist, they are just illusions in our perception of the world that our brain does in order to communicate, interact, live...
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Feeling is just a perception, and synesthesia is just a word to describe that. The interpretation of any crossover stimulus. I wouldn't expect them not to cross over more in some people than others. I definitely think in colours and smells and tastes. I couldn't understand anyone who didn't. Humans must exist in a range from one extreme end to the other and still be within a normal range.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Towers View Post
    Feeling is just a perception; smells, colors, tastes, don't actually happen/exist, they are just illusions in our perception of the world that our brain does in order to communicate, interact, live...
    Wow, man, stony . . .

Thanks, interesting indeed!
    You're probably right, many of us perfume lovers at least love to play synaesthetic!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

I am not a true synaesthete, but fragrances do have 3D shapes and colors.

Basenotes Plus

Interesting article. To make sense of unfamiliar things we form associations with and draw comparisons to more familiar objects/experience either by intuition or on purpose. Synaesthesia might just be a propensity towards a particular perhaps more developed sense e.g. sight. I am a rather visual person but I have trouble imagining a purple scent. Maybe I just haven't found the right associations yet.

Thanks for posting this article. I find this fascinating to think that such a "wiring" anomaly in the brain could be a curse to some as well as an almost magical gift in others, or a curse and gift both in the individual.

I personally would love to experience this.

Basenotes Plus

LHBI - fascinating area - a girl that my daughter was at Uni with has this with sound/colour.

I don't know if what I experience qualifies, but, I have an interesting way that I experience sound. Within a fixed source (the easiest example being music from a pair of speakers) I experience not just motion but also a sense of height, width and depth. I have no idea how to explain it, to be honest. It's mostly nice though. It's something I enjoy. The only time I ever mind it is when I'm in a very noisy space with a lot of reflections. Some bars and pubs intentionally create sound reflections in order to make the place sound like it's busy even when there aren't many people there. That can easily get claustrophobic for me regardless of how large and open the space is. Music hits my ears like a roller-coaster - in a good way - with hills and dives, twists and turns though always moving forward.

Basenotes Plus

Interesting- remember similar experiences myself

Thanks for the article reference--
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Banned

Hahaha this article is a bit funny, and don't think its scientific as it claims, all of these people who are synestethic from the article, work with their senses........when I started sniffing, also started to think in colours, and i never did that before, but only because i was mentally involved in what i smell.....and trying to describe what i smell, and so it happened....i don't think its rare.......

There are blind people who use their tongue to view the world, shapes and objects......i think this does not happen so rarely but its something like average quality.....

Purple scent for me is dior poison lol, plum is purple:-) ....and am sure if you ask anyone to associate a colour with a scent would be able to do it....

I am not a scientist but know from before about this quality of senses, that am a bit surprised by the article that uses people who constantly use one of their senses.........also was funny when i read one russian girl saying how she associates colours with smell, so she opened perfume shop in London, thinking probably how special gift she has lol.....

Basenotes Plus

This is interesting too:-
    http://synesthete.org/
    and this:-
    http://eaglemanlab.net/

There are currently many interesting ongoing research projects in neuroscience.
    Last edited by lpp; 24th March 2013 at 08:56 PM.

Banned

Lpp lovely:-) , now we can all test ourselves......

I am just talking from my short experience.....involuntary things......that happen can be called as some disorder...but in general we all have senses that kind of include other senses in themselves as well..and that is normal....
    I remember i found it difficult to enjoy the food when there was large company, or music, or too many things going on...just because my senses were busy and i would not feel hungry....its all kind of practice...then when i would be alone i would realize i am hungry lol

I think there are normal blending of senses.....and they can be provoked......by thinking about them.....i did not know there are people who has this beyond normal:-)
    Last edited by iivanita; 24th March 2013 at 09:14 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I think that being distracted is different, Ivana, synesthesia is a permanent thing as I understand it and much more radical.
    Last edited by lpp; 24th March 2013 at 09:22 PM.

Banned

Yes...reading your link helped understand better....because blending of senses is normal to a certain extent and is used in situations where people lost one sense, like eyesight....those people are not synesthetic..they just learn to use other sense to help visualise the world again:-) , because our brain is a lot more plastic then we think

Synesthesia is known for ages :-) we learnt about it in school, literature classes.......probably many artists were synesthetic.....

Basenotes Plus

Yes, there's so much that we are beginning to understand now that was unthought of before.
    Glad u liked the links

Banned

yes thank you very much lpp!! i love the one about sense of time maybe that is our 7th sense timing is everything some would say lol

Since we are getting nerdy, if some of you feel the need to get deeper, you can start here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_science

One of the reasons I love to try smells it's because the amount of different sensations and emotions they can trigger, and even change my state of mind lightly, even though it's a conscious bias.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I don't know if what I experience qualifies, but, I have an interesting way that I experience sound. Within a fixed source (the easiest example being music from a pair of speakers) I experience not just motion but also a sense of height, width and depth. I have no idea how to explain it, to be honest. It's mostly nice though. It's something I enjoy. The only time I ever mind it is when I'm in a very noisy space with a lot of reflections. Some bars and pubs intentionally create sound reflections in order to make the place sound like it's busy even when there aren't many people there. That can easily get claustrophobic for me regardless of how large and open the space is. Music hits my ears like a roller-coaster - in a good way - with hills and dives, twists and turns though always moving forward.
    That's called soundstage and I experience it very clearly with high end headphones (>400$) with almost any kind of music by the way they present the sound.
    If you are extremely sensitive while hearing and you pay close atention, you are actually analizing more, processing more information, instead of just hearing something. I used to have trouble focusing on exams because of any noise in the class, to the point of wearing earplugs... In my case was a lack of mental concentration and motivation, my conciousness was the issue.

I might be wrong, but what you are describing is precisely some kind of ideasthesia, where you feel something else as a bonus, in this case visual concepts, just by the sound, your mind is describing it to you in more detail
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Thanks for sharing the article. In fact, some of the sensations and perceptions described here seem to me, if not familiar, at least perfectly logical and explicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Towers View Post
    I might be wrong, but what you are describing is precisely some kind of ideasthesia, where you feel something else as a bonus, in this case visual concepts, just by the sound, your mind is describing it to you in more detail
    You're probably right. I used to work in a recording studio many years ago, and I noticed that everyone there was hard of hearing. It seemed obvious to me that they were all used to working with such extreme levels of audio that they were killing their hearing... so... I spent a few months teaching myself to work at lower and lower levels, and I did it in the most low-tech way ever. I used tape (sticky tape, not recording tape). I placed a piece of tape over the top master fader that fed the amp & monitors (speakers) to set a maximum level. The tape blocked the fader from going higher. Each night before I began, I'd lower the tape the TINIEST little bit. The idea was to lower the maximum level by such a small amount that I wouldn't even notice a difference. From day to day, it felt like no change, but as the weeks passed, the volume level I worked at was more than cut in half. In the process, I taught myself to hear really well, though that wasn't ever my goal.

Basenotes Plus

LHBI - think it's an occupational hazard - tinnitus is really worth avoiding too, so your approach seems very sensible for your wellbeing as well as your career

interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

I can usually associate smells with places, usually the place where I was first exposed to the scent, but I think that's more memory-related than anything to do with synesthesia.

synesthesia seems to be an involuntary association of one sensory perception with another, smell with colour, sound with taste, purely a result of the synapses linking up together in the brain when they are not supposed to. seems pretty rare though, I would assume that most of the people here in basenotes are not synesthetes, but probably just have a sharp sense of smell and have a knack of associating scents with other elements/senses either through memory or creativity or self-association. but I might be wrong and perhaps we're all synesthetic beings at some level with rouge synapses and neurons but just don't know it yet.