Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances you truly love but can't wear

I won't ask have you ever, because everyone has. Instead, I'll ask this: Which fragrances do you truly love but can't wear in public? Please, explain why you can't wear them.

My pick: A*Men by Thierry Mugler. I love the tar/chocolate/coffee scent, but I'm afraid of what people will say... It's not exactly the easiest fragrance to like. Or is it?

Edit; Let me put it this way instead then: would you consider wearing a fragrance again, even if you've only received negative comments/compliments? I certainly wouldn't!
    Last edited by MikeDropIt; 19th March 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Fragrances you truly love but can't wear

I do love the dry down of A*Men but can't face anyone in public until at leasat an hour after application.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Knize Ten is very challenging.

There's nothing which I won't wear in public.

I love Czech & Speake No. 88 vintage, but am always very self-conscious wearing it. It has that certain weight and authority that I rarely feel comfortable with.

I am careful about wearing Montale Cuir d'Arabie...it's opening fecal note can raise eyebrows. It really depends what "public" I am in...Church has a whole different set of frags. than say the local WalMart. Sitting close to many others in a warm church I don't wear projection monsters. A fellow BN'er sent me a sample of a WONDERFUL "barnyard" fragrance which was her own creation. I love it but not for close quarters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    There's nothing which I won't wear in public.
    What the gentleman said!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Chanel Egoiste

If I'd like something a lot I'd wear it.

A*Men is a bestseller and tons of people wear it, I think you needn't worry about any bad reactions.

Default Feminine

There are feminine scents I like but I wouldn't wear them. Otherwise, if I like a fragrance, I'll wear it.

I don't comprehend the idea of truly loving a fragrance and yet not being able to wear it.

Like Russel says, A*Men is a best seller. People do wear it all the time without anyone having a meltdown. If I loved it I'd wear it too.

None. Wear them all in public.

I wear all of my fragrances, whats the point of owning if you don't wear?

Amouage Homage Attar - One of the most beautiful frags I have smelled but it's just to feminine smelling for me to pull off with confidence.

I've never smelled A*Men on anyone here in Sweden. And, the ones that have smelled it, hates it.

Makes me wonder what sort of society dynamics those people live in. The ones who can't wear a certain perfume in public.

for swap/sale:

There's nothing that I own that I can't wear or wouldn't wear.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    There's nothing that I own that I can't wear or wouldn't wear.
    Same here.

Okay, let me put it this way.. Would you consider wearing a fragrance again, even if you've only received negative comments/compliments? I certainly wouldn't!

Yes because I wear it for myself not those people.

If they don't like it, it's not because it smells bad from a hygienic or lack of it perspective. It's because it doesn't match their taste. What next, you won't wear a a certain colored tshirt?

This applies ot everyone except wife's. So far she doesn't like Straight to Heaven & Chene. At least she's consistent. They're both boozy.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I feel exactly the same way. I may not wear something in a certain environment, say an office setting, but other than that, I would wear whatever I want.

I do not wear fragrances for others likes or dislikes. I do not wear fragrances for compliments, I'll leave that up to others on this board who only wear a fragrance for such things. I wear fragrances for my own pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDropIt View Post
    Okay, let me put it this way.. Would you consider wearing a fragrance again, even if you've only received negative comments/compliments? I certainly wouldn't!
    Does that even happen? Really? Has anyone here ever received multiple negative comments about a single fragrance? Not trying to be snarky - just seriously wondering. That would have to be one really bad fragrance...or you're wearing way way too much of it.

If a specific person really hated one of my perfumes, I wouldn't wear it around that person. But that isn't the same as not wearing it in public.

I don't wear perfume for compliments (though it's nice to receive them).

What next, you won't wear a a certain colored tshirt?
    The main difference is that you can choose to stop looking at someone's shirt but if you are standing next to someone in a closed space you can't choose to stop smelling their scent

The scent that I cannot wear is musc ravageur

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Knize Ten is very challenging.
    I don't agree, wore this today to the office, and just smelt great all day... Doesn't project like crazy and is a nice floral once the top notes ease off.

Anyhow, no one complained or avoided me...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

If they don't like it, it's not because it smells bad from a hygienic or lack of it perspective. It's because it doesn't match their taste. What next, you won't wear a a certain colored tshirt?

This applies ot everyone except wife's. So far she doesn't like Straight to Heaven & Chene. At least she's consistent. They're both boozy.
    I see what you're saying bro! But as someone else said, the main difference is that you can choose to stop looking at someone's shirt but if you are standing next to someone in a closed space you can't choose to stop smelling their scent. I personally wouldn't feel good about my self if I wore a fragrance that nobody else liked. What if you were the one smelling something nasty on another person, how would you feel/react?

Let's keep this discussion going!

Makes me wonder what sort of society dynamics those people live in. The ones who can't wear a certain perfume in public.
    There was a thread like this about 6months ago...debating between "I wear whatever I want and screw everyone else" and "I don't wear things that are too strong in certain areas that may be too strong." I think like cigarettes, if we ignore what others think, we will see more "no fragrances allowed" rules in workplaces, hospitals, etc.

Basenotes Plus

I see what you're saying bro! But as someone else said, the main difference is that you can choose to stop looking at someone's shirt but if you are standing next to someone in a closed space you can't choose to stop smelling their scent. I personally wouldn't feel good about my self if I wore a fragrance that nobody else liked. What if you were the one smelling something nasty on another person, how would you feel/react?

You used a very broad generalization in your original post. If you want to change the perimeters to further the discussion that is fine.

I wear anything I want, but if one of my coworkers had a negative reaction I would refrain from wearing that scent around them, that's just common courtesy.

Angel Men is a frag that the sillage smells better than burying your nose in freshly sprayed skin. I once sprayed some on my sisters hand and she said it was revolting, then I visited her wearing it and she said I smelled amazing. She was quite surprised to find out that it was the same scent.

Sound Scents

I wear any fragrance I own without reservation and wear them solely for me. That said, I do refrain from wearing Linfedele Haiku to the office, not because it is offensive or anything, but rather because one of my peers is highly allergic to it and has trouble breathing whenever exposed to it (probably one of the natural ingredients it contains). If it weren't for that, I would wear it for sure. Outside the office I wear it just like I would anything else.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    You used a very broad generalization in your original post. If you want to change the perimeters to further the discussion that is fine.
    I'm not very good in English, so I don't really understand what you just wrote, sorry!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I wear anything I want, but if one of my coworkers had a negative reaction I would refrain from wearing that scent around them, that's just common courtesy.

Angel Men is a frag that the sillage smells better than burying your nose in freshly sprayed skin. I once sprayed some on my sisters hand and she said it was revolting, then I visited her wearing it and she said I smelled amazing. She was quite surprised to find out that it was the same scent.
    Wow, thats good to hear! But I still don't know if I can pull it off...

Banned

There are certain things one can not wear in public, just because one doesn't feel it represent his style, can not wear with confidence,
    For me this would be to wear short skirt in the winter, i can wear shorts in the summer and don't feel bad but to wear it in the winter doesn't fit my style, so you have to make an effort so to say to bend your usual routine....not everyone can pull out everything any time.......its human:-)

I love real fougere bengale, i love some other men's frags and i would not wear them because its just not me, when i put them on.....so its possible to love something and not beeing able to wear it:-) .......in some occasions....or Onda from veroprofumo i love it so much....but to wear it every single day...hm not sure:-)

Yes i know many men who don't wear certain colours of whatever that they think is feminine there ( red slippers lol)....i cant understand it but then think of some of my irrationalities:-) and noone can persuade me its the same thing:-)
    Last edited by iivanita; 20th March 2013 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticushero View Post
    The main difference is that you can choose to stop looking at someone's shirt but if you are standing next to someone in a closed space you can't choose to stop smelling their scent

The scent that I cannot wear is musc ravageur

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    There was a thread like this about 6months ago...debating between "I wear whatever I want and screw everyone else" and "I don't wear things that are too strong in certain areas that may be too strong." I think like cigarettes, if we ignore what others think, we will see more "no fragrances allowed" rules in workplaces, hospitals, etc.
    I'm not sure why you assume I live in a society/social circle similar to yours where apparently people have reservations to certain perfumes and amount used.

From my travels & general knowledge of other cultures, I can say the majority welcome perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    There are certain things one can not wear in public, just because one doesn't feel it represent his style, can not wear with confidence,
    For me this would be to wear short skirt in the winter, i can wear shorts in the summer and don't feel bad but to wear it in the winter doesn't fit my style, so you have to make an effort so to say to bend your usual routine....not everyone can pull out everything any time.......its human:-)

I
    I didn't get it

Frederic Malle- Carnal Flower, PoL, French Lover

tested all of them, fantastic frags, probably the best quality I've put my nose to, but waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too feminin for me.
    Current Top 5:
    1. DHI
    2. Oud Wood
    3. Aventus
    4. By. Kilian A Taste of heaven
    5. Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur

Banned

Its like this: you put a perfume on, it doesn't matter at all what others think, but if you think while wearing a perfume what others think, means that perfume doesn't suit you:-) ......i had many situations where i was thinking about perfume i am wearing:-) which i love and appreciate but noticed i am not confident if others would smell it on me:-) ......the other day original fougere bengale was sooo gorgeous, but on a moment i felt like a man who was smoking and drinking some whiskey:-) .....or with Onda ,i think about myself in 3 rd face:-) ......when i wear what i love then its like second skin.....i just enjoy it and think how gorgeous it smells.....and fougere bengale smells gorgeous too:-)

I know many males that lets say have issue with red colour:-) they can wear red shirt but not red slippers lol,.......its simply state of mind, we are not that flexible as we may think we are:-) at least not all of us............

It takes some effort to pull something through, and if you constantly think about it while wearing it that is not ok....and for some scents i cant help it :-) although i may love them!........and i think i am rather so to say flexible...don't care much about other peoples opinion:-)

I love Kouros but it's far too potent for me to wear.

Jo Malone Red Roses. Best rose ever but not for dudes. I have some bars of the soap that I leave in dressers and bathrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Chanel Egoiste
    Agree. This seems to get louder and louder after aplication !
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Basenotes Member

Hey guys... Been lurking for a while, but finally registered.

Anyways, I completely agree with A*Men.

I love it so much, but I rarely wear it on public. Like everyone says, it's a very polarizing scent, and I'm just really worried about running into someone who will have strong negative reactions to it.

Narciso Rodriguez Musc Edition

I enjoy the smell but it just seems a bit matured and feminine for me to feel 100% comfortable wearing in public. Maybe one day I'll round up enough courage to wear it but for now I will wear a spritz before bed every now and then.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

I've got a few full 4 ounce bottles of the original/vintage Giorgio for Men (GoBH) but I can only wear a tiny amount because the patchouli is too camphorous to me. I'l have to put at least one on my swap list, because I can't imagine using all it up unless I live to be about 300. LOL.

I can only wear certain fragrances because of my climate. Also, if it's too feminine or perfumey there's no way I'm going to smell like a woman all day no matter how beautiful it smells. If I like it enough to buy it I'll give it to my wife and enjoy it on her.

if i truly love it, i'll wear it
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Apart from the fragrances I'd like to wear, but are objectively unavailable- for one reason or another- in retail, I can hardly think of a fragrance I wouldn't wear for subjective reasons.

Virgin Island Water. My wife thinks its very girly and finds it very strange on a man. It's the only thing I'm self conscious about wearing.

I had forgotten I was going when I put it on, but I wore a huge squirt from a tester of Dzing to a smallish class. I initially felt a little self conscious because I didn't know what it was going to morph into after reading all the reviews about stinky circus's, but all it got was compliments. They all loved it.

There aren't any I wouldn't wear that I truly love. There are plenty I wouldn't wear for other reasons.