Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Body Odor as a complement to a fragrance

From Wikipedia:

"Between the 16th and 17th century, perfumes were used primarily by the wealthy to mask body odors resulting from infrequent bathing. Partly due to this patronage, the perfumery industry was created."

So, modern perfumery originated from stinky rich people who wanted to mask their body odor. They could stay one year or more without bathing, but the colognes would save them from smelling like animals.

So my question is this: Have you ever mixed body odor with a perfume? For example, have you ever forgotten to use deodorant in a hot day, but remembered to spray your perfume? What was the reaction of people to your smell and what was your own appreciation of the experience?

Does BO + Perfume = sexier smell?

Remember that there are many perfumes that have basenotes that resemble body odor. MKK is the perfect example. These perfumes are often considered the sexier ones. Maybe there is something good about mixing body odor with freshness and flowers.

What do you think?

Default Re: Body Odor as a complement to a fragrance

Body odor is never acceptable IMO
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Body Odour plus fragrance can be a sexy smell. I think that is why, even up to the 60s fragrances had quite an animalic vibe. People didn't wash quite as often or as thoroughly as they do now. Deodorants weren't as effective, washing clothes wasn't as effective; men rarely used a deodorant at all as it was considered "feminine", ring any bells? Personally I enjoy fragrances with an animalic, body smell and do not enjoy the squeeky clean.

Quote Originally Posted by The Smelly Scientist View Post
    Agree.

I forgot to add that I think Americans and Europeans diverge on this topic. I found a lot of people with BO in Europe, but none with BO in the US. I don't want to generalize. I am merely speaking from my personal experience.

I think only Tarzan Lord Of The Jungle can get away with bad BO, but for the rest us showering and fragrances do the job. lol

Can you imagine being next to someone and smelling their dirty armpits mixed with whatever perfume they have on and thinking that is sexy at all? No.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Can you imagine being next to someone and smelling their dirty armpits mixed with whatever perfume they have on and thinking that is sexy at all? No.

Have you seen that comedy, "A Fish Called Wanda", where Kevin Kline plays an italian who keeps smelling his own armpits while making passionate love to Jamie Lee Curtis?

If a person can afford to buy a fragrance, they should definetly afford to buy soap

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Have you seen that comedy, "A Fish Called Wanda", where Kevin Kline plays an italian who keeps smelling his own armpits while making passionate love to Jamie Lee Curtis?
    I would accept a little BO from Jaime Lee Curtis in 1983 (that mirror scene in Trading Places....)

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

I think the smell of skin can be sexy, with the right fragrance even more so. Not wearing deodorant for one day will not make the average person smell like BO. My husband and I have been together 6 years and he never wears deodorant. EVER. He doesn't stink. He even works construction. I think people in the US and Canada are so hung up on sanitation that it borders on unhealthy. But that is just my opinion.
    I use cloth diapers. I deserve something that smells amazing.

It depends on the BO, and probably on who is smelling it. I've always found the smell of my current partner sexy -- and more, known a relationship was over when suddenly their smell (not merely their BO, everything about their body) became disgusting. I've also never been able to date multiple people simultaneously -- either I'm with one person, in which case they smell "right" and everyone else smells "wrong", or nobody smells "right" and I eel out of dating anyone.

My current partner, may I say, is the most amazing-smelling of any I've had, and he never uses anything scented because of sundry allergy and eczema issues. He also showers only a couple of times a week, same reason -- his skin is very dry and fragile. And his smell is like a combination of (real) musk and sandalwood.

I find it interesting, in the current atmosphere of "hookup" culture, that fragrance is becoming more widely accepted across the board -- along with a pathological objection to body hair and insistence on a minimum of daily showers. It seems like ideal conditions in which to avoid connection, really.

But short answer -- I don't think it's as blissfully simple, ever, as BO=ew.

Everyone has body odour and there's nothing unpleasant about it.
    Perhaps you meant the smell of stale sweat, which I agree can be unpleasant.

This.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

There is a big difference between a man who is sweaty for a day and a person who never bathes and lets the sweat ferment. I work with the public and some people smell like a combination of stale urine, mildewed clothes, ripe armpits and stale cigarette smoke. Yuck. On the other hand sweaty people that bathe and dance the night away smell just fine.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    There is a big difference between a man who is sweaty for a day and a person who never bathes and lets the sweat ferment. I work with the public and some people smell like a combination of stale urine, mildewed clothes, ripe armpits and stale cigarette smoke. Yuck. On the other hand sweaty people that bathe and dance the night away smell just fine.
    When BO is mentioned I think about the ripe armpit person. Clean sweaty person is just fine.

Also, when perfumes were invented for these wealthy people who didnt bathe for a year, why didnt these people just pay for a bucket of hot water and some soap and take a bath every week or so instead of paying for expensive perfume to splash on for a year. People were so dumb back then.

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Also, when perfumes were invented for these wealthy people who didnt bathe for a year, why didnt these people just pay for a bucket of hot water and some soap and take a bath every week or so instead of paying for expensive perfume to splash on for a year. People were so dumb back then.
    It was widely believed that taking a bath was very risky to your health. People thought they would get sick and die. And to complicate matters even more, the church convinced people that nudity was a bad thing, so people could not go to public baths, as they did during the Roman Empire.

lol just just groom yourself properly and wear narciso rodriguez or musc ravager.

that way you get the animalistic musc without offending
    Check out my Narciso Rodriguez for Him youtube review!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SImDN1VjOU

Quote Originally Posted by Lamia13 View Post
    I think the smell of skin can be sexy, with the right fragrance even more so. Not wearing deodorant for one day will not make the average person smell like BO. My husband and I have been together 6 years and he never wears deodorant. EVER. He doesn't stink. He even works construction. I think people in the US and Canada are so hung up on sanitation that it borders on unhealthy. But that is just my opinion.
    Thank you. A voice of reason! To me, a person's natural smell is way sexier than any perfume - and far different from the extreme of someone who doesn't bathe properly at all. There are degrees. Sure, I want to smell clean when I go to work. But this "no body odor ever" sentiment seems a bit crazy. Like the guy here who once said he jumps out of bed immediately after sex to shower. How uptight is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Like the guy here who once said he jumps out of bed immediately after sex to shower. How uptight is that?
    I prefer to keep cuddling, for hours. Sex smells good.

Have you ever mixed body odor with a perfume? For example, have you ever forgotten to use deodorant in a hot day, but remembered to spray your perfume? What was the reaction of people to your smell and what was your own appreciation of the experience?

What do you think?
    Two weeks ago I worked out for about an hour, working up a decently ripe but not stinky sweat (subjective assessment, of course). I walked out of the house without showering, without putting on deodorant, and with healthy application of Czech & Speake's Cuba (i.e., 5-6 sprays). I smelled magnificently. I don't know if this is chemically or biochemically possible (I would guess it is), but my unshowered skin seemed to mellow rather than exacerbate some of the harsher aspects of Cuba (which, to some people - including me - smells a little or a lot poopy).

I am sure most BNers would agree that fragrances react to our skin and chemistry. It follows that fragrances can (will?) react differently to differing skin conditions, even on the same person, and perhaps even differently than expected as in my Cuba + sweat = better smell than Cuba + clean skin experience.

Sounds like an experiment waiting to happen.

A quote from Francois Demachy :
    "An American marketing man once explained to me the difference between the American idea of sexiness and the European idea " he says. "Europeans take a shower after sex. Americans take a shower before. It's a generalization. But only because it is generally true."

Personally, I don't think BO is ever to be liked, only tolerated. If it's very minimal, it doesn't detract from fragrance, but it certainly never enhances it.

I certainly do not advocate skipping the daily shower/shampoo, however I will say that I do really like the salty, sunburned scent I get on my arms after a training ride. It is a clean skin scent; not in any way gross.

And *yes* I would argue that it is the perfect "canvas" for applying fragrance.

It was widely believed that taking a bath was very risky to your health. People thought they would get sick and die. And to complicate matters even more, the church convinced people that nudity was a bad thing, so people could not go to public baths, as they did during the Roman Empire.
    This is actually a myth. People bathed. They might not have done full submersion, but the idea that people were sewn into their clothes the first day of October and then spent the winter in a muck of stench and lice (while paddling around on a bed of dirty rushes) is untrue.

And certainly the use of scent is much, much older than that. Archeological evidence for the use of perfume has been found in Ancient Egypt, ancient Greece, ancient Rome, elsewhere -- and whatever else those peoples might have been up to, not bathing regularly was not in it.

Historically, people wore scent for many of the same reasons we now wear scent -- because they liked it, because they considered it artistic, to increase their seductive powers. Possibly also for ritual or religious reasons. But don't sneer at the ancients; they were, on average, just as intelligent and civilised as we are, and what we call "culture" owes them a lot.

Please notice that I mention MODERN perfumery and its origins. In Ancient Greece (500BC) there were perfume houses and rich citizens chose their oil-based fragrances very carefully. Sócrates was against spending idle time at perfume shops. He told this to his disciples.

But please don't try to convince me that during the middle ages people were clean. Pleople were FILTHY duuring the middle ages. If thhe rich ones stank, you can just imagine how the poor smelt. Humanity went backwards in many aspects, when the roman era ended (500 AD). A Thousand years of darkness and fanaticism and obscurantism ensued.

"A thousand years of darkness and fanaticism and obscurantism ensued."

Also not exactly true, and mostly a libel spread about by the intellectuals of the "Enlightenment", who wanted to trace their scholarly lineage straight back to the Classical period, which they regarded as more pure.

Just one internet reference: http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/herbs/baths.html -- but there's plenty more where that came from, and more thoroughly researched published scholarship all over the place.

And just one small piece of evidence for the fact that the medievals were not nearly so backward and anti-science as we would like to believe: http://www.livescience.com/27624-mum...s-anatomy.html

History is not, and never has been, a constant progression to "up" capped by our glorious selves.

Personally I don't wish to smell other people (apart from the girlfriend, who smells delicious, of course), esp other men. It's not all about showering/bathing either. There are 2 people in my house who I know shower, but one reeks of cigarette smoke most of the times, the other simply seems to have a very strange, what I believe to be body, odour wafting out of his flat in the morning. I've never encountered anything like it. I wonder if he knows.

Why did the plague happen during the middle ages? Not because some "witches" brought up God´s vengeance (they were burned for that), but because of the population of rats that infested the houses and the filthy streets. The fleas that lived on the rats transmitted the disease.

During the Roman Era, aqueducts were built so that water was made available to the population. Public baths were built. Have you ever found many remains of medieval public baths? I don´t think so. No No no.

- - - Updated - - -

Please read:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....dieval-europe/
    Last edited by DanielPlainview; 20th March 2013 at 04:29 PM.

It depends where you're looking, for starters; there are medieval public baths in the Mediterranean regions, and in Jewish communities.

In the second place, why are you so fixated on public baths? People have, and still do in many areas, kept themselves perfectly clean by washing piece by piece in a basin; my own mother did, in Europe in the thirties and forties. The use of public baths, and immersion baths, is not necessarily an indicator of cleanliness.

In the third place, there are rats, and fleas, and bedbugs, and many other animals living in human settlements today, and they still transmit diseases. The fact that people of that era were unaware of germ theory isn't evidence for filth, either. (There's also a very interesting theory that the Black Death wasn't in fact bubonic plague, but was actually a form of Ebola-like virus.)

(In the fourth place, I digress, as always. So sorry. Back to your regularly scheduled discussion.)

I am talking about established historical evidence. You're not. People were dirtier during the medieval era. I could find thousands of links to substantiate my claim.

I am talking about established historical evidence. You're not.
    I'm not going to get into this with you, here, now, or at all, but this is not true, and I honestly encourage you to do some research that isn't on Wikipedia, because history is fascinating, and yeah, I am in fact talking about established historical evidence and archeological remains.

I wouldn't mind sending you scientific papers on the subject. I am a professor and I have access to the databases. Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you HARD evidence.

hey Daniel, why dont you leave it alone. you seem to want to push your beliefs on everyone here. we dont care what you believe, or want to be true. compassrose has made it clear she wants nothing to do with your bullshit. any mods seeing this? dont send her any private messages. dont send her any hard evidence. just stop.

No, under any circumstance.

I asked her if she would send ME a PM. I never said anything about myself sending a PM to her. It is her own interest to learn new things. I can't force her to do it.

I wouldn't mind sending you scientific papers on the subject. I am a professor and I have access to the databases. Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you HARD evidence.
    Some people are unable to think in generalities so sending evidence wont help. There will always be an exception to use as a counter.

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Nailed it absolutely

just cut it out. you sound like a bully. if you are a professor you should be aware of the consequences of bullying. and yes, you did say you would love to send her hard evidence. im saying DONT. she doesnt want anything from you. i hope her husband catches wind of how youre treating her...

It depends what you mean - if it's half a day old to a day old (or older) body odour, forget about it.

But if I've walked up the long drive or done some slight work on a hot day, and have gotten somewhat sweaty - well I'm not a fanatic who has 3 or 4 four showers a day. Masking some very slight (or soon to be slight) body odour with scent - in order to make a quick trip to the supermarket - makes economic and time saving sense to me.
    Regards,
    Renato

Blog Entries

Nothing wrong with going w/o fragrance or deodorant for a day if you're not sweating a lot.
    As long as you bathed EVERYWHERE on your bod.

sometimes i'll bath and go out
    w/o deodorant or antipersperant but only if I know I'll be sweat free and get back home before too long
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Wow, this thread is nuts.

Everyone has a body odor. Suggesting otherwise is silly. Most people confuse the term body odor with unwashed body odor. Even when clean, a human body a smell.

That being said, this thread has the word agenda written all over it.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Body odor is mostly a bad thing esp armpit BO, BUT in some instances as Akahina mentioned it can be fine and can even enhance a fragrance. I remember few years ago, I sprayed Roadster between my arm and forearm area, in the part, where sweat glands are. It was 42 C that day, in any case , after 4-5 hours , it became this wonderful minty musky smell. Body chemistry and odor varies a lot, from person to person. Here is an interesting article.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...logy-body-odor
    Last edited by vinramani09; 21st March 2013 at 12:29 AM.

I love body odour, not the rancid skank, but the unsettling pheremonal richness that sets the heart a-flutter, and sends hot blood to your cheeks. Very primal, very effective, totally free, and not suitable for the office.

Mixed with the right scent, amazing.

Did you know about this (below)? Your husband must be part of the 2%.

One million people may be using deodorant needlessly, a study has suggested, as they have a gene that means they do not produce body odour. Researchers have found that two per cent of the population have a genetic variant that means they do not suffer from under arm body odour yet more three quarters of them continue to use scents.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...ant-study.html

Duver, I did not know this but if it' a case of genetics I hope it is dominant and my kids will never have to deal with BO. Quite interesting.
    I use cloth diapers. I deserve something that smells amazing.

This +∞

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Body odor is mostly a bad thing esp armpit BO, BUT in some instances as Akahina mentioned it can be fine and can even enhance a fragrance. I remember few years ago, I sprayed Roadster between my arm and forearm area, in the part, where sweat glands are. It was 42 C that day, in any case , after 4-5 hours , it became this wonderful minty musky smell. Body chemistry and odor varies a lot, from person to person. Here is an interesting article.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...logy-body-odor
    Really interesting article - and the one it links to as well - Thanks!

Yep. 1st response - Nailed it. That's about all that needs to be said. And wash your clothes too!

Some people have a good natural body odor.

A year, really ? Was that back when it was thought that heavy women were more attractive ? Yep, you just put them onto a scale to find out how attractive they were.

MONTAIGNE- OF PERFUMES

IT HAS been reported of some, as of Alexander the Great, that their sweat exhaled an odoriferous smell, occasioned by some rare and extraordinary constitution, of which Plutarch and others have been inquisitive into the cause. But the ordinary constitution of human bodies is quite otherwise, and their best and chiefest excellency is to be exempt from smell. Nay, the sweetness even of the purest breath has nothing in it of greater perfection than to be without any offensive smell, like those of healthful children, which made Plautus say of a woman:—

“By Castor! the woman smells well, where she smells of nothing.”

And such as make use of fine exotic perfumes are with good reason to be suspected of some natural imperfection which they endeavor by these odors to conceal. To smell, though well, is to stink:—

“You laugh at us, Coracinus, because we are not scented; I would, rather than smell well, not smell at all.”

And elsewhere:—

“Posthumus, he who ever smells well does not smell well.”

I am nevertheless a great lover of good smells, and as much abominate the ill ones, which also I scent at a greater distance, I think, than other men:—

“My nose is quicker to scent a fetid sore or a rank armpit, than a dog to smell out the hidden sow.”

Of smells, the simple and natural seem to me the most pleasing. Let the ladies look to that, for ’tis chiefly their concern: amid the most profound barbarism, the Scythian women, after bathing, were wont to powder and crust their faces and all their bodies with a certain odoriferous drug growing in their country, which being cleansed off, when they came to have familiarity with men they were found perfumed and sleek. ’Tis not to be believed how strangely all sorts of odors cleave to me, and how apt my skin is to imbibe them. He that complains of nature that she has not furnished mankind with a vehicle to convey smells to the nose had no reason; for they will do it themselves, especially to me; my very mustachios, which are full, perform that office; for if I stroke them but with my gloves or handkerchief, the smell will not out a whole day; they manifest where I have been, and the close, luscious, devouring, viscid melting kisses of youthful ardor in my wanton age left a sweetness upon my lips for several hours after. And yet I have ever found myself little subject to epidemic diseases, that are caught, either by conversing with the sick or bred by the contagion of the air, and have escaped from those of my time, of which there have been several sorts in our cities and armies. We read of Socrates, that though he never departed from Athens during the frequent plagues that infested that city, he only was never infected.

Physicians might, I believe, extract greater utility from odors than they do, for I have often observed that they cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation.

I could have been glad, the better to judge of it, to have tasted the culinary art of those cooks who had so rare a way of seasoning exotic odors with the relish of meats; as it was particularly observed in the service of the king of Tunis, who in our days landed at Naples to have an interview with Charles the Emperor. His dishes were larded with odoriferous drugs, to that degree of expense that the cookery of one peacock and two pheasants amounted to a hundred ducats to dress them after their fashion; and when the carver came to cut them up, not only the dining-room, but all the apartments of his palace and the adjoining streets were filled with an aromatic vapor which did not presently vanish.

My chiefest care in choosing my lodgings is always to avoid a thick and stinking air; and those beautiful cities, Venice and Paris, very much lessen the kindness I have for them, the one by the offensive smell of her marshes, and the other of her dirt.

when bo is mentioned i think about the ripe armpit person. Clean sweaty person is just fine.

rotflmao!!!!
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Jardin d' Amalfi, DHI, Clive Christian X,, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: L'homme

This

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    A year, really ? Was that back when it was thought that heavy women were more attractive ? Yep, you just put them onto a scale to find out how attractive they were.
    why would anyone say something like that? that's retarded and on top of that not even related to this thread! (I'm referring to the heavy women comment)

Unwashed for more than a day generally sticks in my throat. Spare me; I don't want to smell it, wiff or wiffout perfume added.

- - - Updated - - -

Unwashed for more than a day generally sticks in my throat. Spare me; I don't want to smell it, wiff or wiffout perfume added.

We as a culture seem to spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to de-animalize ourselves and in the process we're turning into shop window mannequins: no body hair, no curves, no odour... And then we spray ourselves with synthetic animal musk to mimic what we've painstakingly stripped from our identity. Why are we so terrified of smelling someone else's actual smell, let alone our own? Seems as if we're highly conflicted over what makes us human.

As to bathing in the Middle Ages, there were public baths in most towns in Europe, which the Church began to regulate in the middle of the 13th Century to control prostitution, fornication, adultery etc (not much to do with cleanliness). Fear of venereal disease (epidemic in the 16th Century) closed a lot of public baths and most people couldn't afford enough fuel to heat water so that they could bathe at home. It's probably also worth bearing in mind that everything stank in a Medieval/Renaissance town (no public services, germ theory not understood until the 1860s): tanneries, slaughterhouses, open sewers, crowded graveyards... By comparison, a bit of BO would have been low on anybody's list of priorities.

And lastly, it looks as if the first things we would recognize as fragrances were more important for their medicinal (internal) properties than as a scent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungary_Water

I agree.

It is also proved that male and females are attracted by each others body odor and skin scent.
    This is not the same as saying that sweaty skin smells great, but the smell of a women's skin, even not totally clean, definitely can turn my senses on.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

Great thread, by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    Great thread, by the way!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    That being said, this thread has the word agenda written all over it.
    Why would you think that ? This thread does not come across as having an agenda at all . There are some really interesting ( and humerous ) perspectives are posted.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !