Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Body Odor as a complement to a fragrance

Great thread and interesting perspectives, theories and facts. I, myself, find a woman's natural scent quite intoxicating (not one of those unbathed for days types) with fragrance as complimentary to it. I feel they can be complimentary to each other, absolutely.

- - - Updated - - -

Great thread and interesting perspectives, theories and facts. I, myself, find a woman's natural scent quite intoxicating (not one of those unbathed for days types) with fragrance as complimentary to it. I feel they can be complimentary to each other, absolutely.
    Current obsession...Invasion Barbare

Quote Originally Posted by The Smelly Scientist View Post
    Body odor is never acceptable IMO
    This, please.

If you want to smell animalic, take a scrubbing hot shower and afterward apply Kouros liberally. Bottled funk is much more acceptable, after a good dunk in the tub, than real funk.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Diet has a lot to do with it and I don't mean vegetarian versus meat carnivore.

I mean fastfood/junkfood versus natural food versus type of spices used (or the lack of it).

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    versus type of spices used (or the lack of it).

I hate to say this and I will say it with a lot of caution. But from personal experience (a significant other), I can tell you that people who eat LOTS of spices do smell like the spices. Like, indian spices, thai spices, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Some people have a good natural body odor.
    I really doubt it! and I'm never going to believe this!

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    I really doubt it! and I'm never going to believe this!
    You're wrong. Some degree of BO can be really sexy. I had a significant other who liked to sniff my armpits. I don't wanna push the analogies too far, but just look at what animals do before they engage in sexual acts. They smell each other.

Quote Originally Posted by The Smelly Scientist View Post
    Body odor is never acceptable IMO
    this is possibly the silliest thing i've ever read, but perhaps i'm taking it a bit too literal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Everyone has a body odor. Suggesting otherwise is silly. Most people confuse the term body odor with unwashed body odor. Even when clean, a human body a smell.
    yes. that's my point.
    Last edited by gido; 31st March 2013 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    You're wrong. Some degree of BO can be really sexy. I had a significant other who liked to sniff my armpits. I don't wanna push the analogies too far, but just look at what animals do before they engage in sexual acts. They smell each other.
    Nice thoughts, and here's the place that tastes are different.

Especially the older, vintage perfumes smell good when mixed with body odor. For example: Vintage Tsar; Vintage Drakkar Noir.
    I remember in 1992 i was working in a factory where i used to put Tsar deodorant every morning before work in my lockerroom. Home i had sprayed Tsar edt. During a working day, i sometimes got compliments how good i smell even though i knew i must also smell of sweat at least a bit.

Somehow the older fragrances mixed better with body odour than the current ones, and kind of got more "kick" / boost of the body temperature rising when working physically. As said before, vintage Drakkar Noir is another good example.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

All people exude a body odor. If you want to know what yours smells like sniff a T Shirt you have worn for a day, the day after. That's what your odor is like and also what the fragrance you wore smells like when mixed with your body odor. Most people will never smell the mix of body odor and fragrance unless they are in close contact with your skin. Which does happen, so consider that when selecting fragrance. Of course, body odor is affected by diet and your cleanliness habits.

I would guess - guessing, mind - that the great, classic fragrances were never intended to be worn on utterly clean, deodorized bodies. The people who first bought Mouchoir de Monsieur and Jicky would not in all likelihood have had plumbed-in baths, let alone showers. They would have taken sponge baths of varying regularity and their concept of cleanliness would probably have depended more on the scrupulousness with which they washed their linen - hence the popularity of washerwomen in folk tales etc. These scents are animalic because they are designed to compliment the natural odours of the human body, not mimic or disguise them.

I would rather sit next to someone on a train who hasn't showered for a couple of days than someone who has showered, scrubbed and doused themselves in some generic drugstore all-over body spray...
    Last edited by OdilonRedon; 31st March 2013 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    I would rather sit next to someone on a train who hasn't showered for a couple of days than someone who has showered, scubbed and doused themselves in some generic drugstore all-over body spray...

Me too. The former is much more interesting than the latter. As long as the guy is not stinking too much, BO is not a problem for me.

On the other hand, bad breath is unnaceptable for me. I cannot french kiss a person who has bad breath. And please bear in mind that some people can stay days without brushing their teeth, without developing bad breath.

That is why I dislike MKK, it seems to be an attempt to make perfume out of BO/civet

MKK is really BO.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Some people have a good natural body odor.
    I agree
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

...or fragrance as a complement to body odor, as cedar/sandal dominated scents like for instance Tam Dao do...?