Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Montale and Amouage - recommend!

Hello, guys!

I'm trying to get into the niche world now (although I'm not really virgin to it), especially Montale and Amouage. It is however very hard for me to get to know the scent given the fact that I live far from the US and Europe. Since niche fragrances are very expensive, I'd rather avoid blind buying. Sampling seems to be a wiser option, but it's not cheap either, especially if I take shipping (even pricier nowadays) and exchange rates into account.

Sometimes I read a lot about a certain fragrance but it is just too much information and I lose track of the pieces of info I get.

The hand I would like to ask you is to recommend something that is different from what I dislike. Then it will be easier for me to polish up the research, narrow down my try-list and aim better at samples or blind buys.

I'm looking for something rather unique (without that feeling of "I've smelled this before") and want to make sure I will not come across anything that has a hint of:

M7
    Chanel pour Monsieur/ Creed BdP/ PdN NY
    Caron Pour un Homme (or anything that is church-wise)
    Aramis/ Italian Cypress/ Halston Z-14/ Grey Flannel (or other kind of dated or soapy scents)
    Poison/ l'Heure Bleue
    Cool Water/ Green Irish Tweed
    A Men (gourmand is not really my style)
    Le Male
    Gucci Envy/ CdG 2 man
    Egoiste (original and Platinum)
    Hermès Équipage
    l'Instant de Guerlain
    Costume National 21 (amber?)

I just wanted to point out that I really dislike the above because many seem to love those scents and might recommend smell-alikes. Also, I would like to avoid citrus and aquatic scents for now.

I'm not looking for similars, but just so you guys know that I like:

Encre Noire, Terre d'Hermès, Narciso Rodrigues for Him, Guerlain/ Tom Ford Vetiver, Tauer's L'Air du Désert Marocain and Lonestar Memories, Lumière Noire, Zino, Déclaration, etc.

I would like to try some Montale Aoud but I fear I might get some M7 with that cough syrup smell! I would like to try some Amouage but I fear I might get some church!

PS: I've had the chance to smell Black Aoud and I loved it. That was, in fact, the reason why I decided to write this post, since I thought all oud fragrances were as unpleasant as M7 (to my nose).

I'd appreciate any suggestion (of what to try AND what to avoid, based on the fragrances I dislike).

Best,

Duver
    Last edited by Duver; 20th March 2013 at 09:15 PM.

Default Re: Montale and Amouage

Montale Aoud Ever
    Montale Full Incense

Post Thanks / Like

From the Montale line I recommend black aoud and if it is too strong for the hot weather try lighter ones like white aoud or moon aoud. From Amouage One of the three favorites Dia, Jubilation , or Epic. Epic is heavy on the oud and incense though. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Montale and Amouage - recommend!

+1 Full Incense
    Red Vetyver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Montale Aoud Ever
    Montale Full Incense
    Could you describe Aoud Ever? I think Montale makes quality juice, but so many of the Aouds are redundant. I could have purchased a few and have been happy, but settled for Black Aoud (almost picked Lime Aoud). Would it be redundant to get Aoud Ever?
    Tom Ford Splits Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Post Thanks / Like

The Montale ouds all have a similar vibe, so if you like Black Oud, you should be ok with the others. What changes is the accompanying note, but, as mikesc was saying, they are all more or less variations rather than different, original scents. Black aoud is perhaps the most classical (and one of those that pack the greatest punch); among the others I'd single out Aoud Lime (with a touch of saffron and less prominent rose), and Aoud cuir d'arabie (with some leathers and musks, very butch).

In Amouage, Jub XXV is a clean incense. wonderful, but I think I understand you find incense too churchy. Epic is less incense centered, but it has some too. My favorite is Amouage Gold man, a huge floral, but I'm afraid you'd find it date. Among what's left, perhaps you can try Dia, very woody. Lyric man has many lovers, it's a clean rose, I find it a little too synthetic smelling, but perhaps it'll click. I actually prefer Silver, an interesting light scent based not on citrus but on rose, with a strange metallic feel up top, but more relaxed later. Avoid Ciel and Cirrus, two modern citrusy sporty masculines of no relevance.

In other brands, I'd single out Le Labo Patchouli, it's a smoky phenolic blast, but you like Lonestar Memories and LADDM, so I suspect you'd be fine with it. And you also seem to like vetivers, which indeed work very well in hot weather. If you haven't tried, I'd recommend Sycomore (like Encre noire, but fresher, more natural smelling) and Vetiver Extraordinaire (the freshest, greenest vetiver around).

cacio

treeman5823

Since you don't like M7, I will not recommend anything from Montale. Try Amouage's Gold for women, Jubilation XXV, Jubilation 25, Lyric Man, and Lyric Woman. All fantastic. Especially the first one.

Post Thanks / Like

M7 is completely different from any of the Montale aouds. M7 is not a good reference for oud. Since you seem to like smoky frags (LDDM) you will probably like the light incense of Jubilation XXV.
    No way you should buy any of them without sampling first though.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I recommend montale Aoud Musc, it has saffron and oud and is dark, quite unique. It is not as dark as montale Dark Aoud though. From Amouage check Interlude. I have Jubilation and Epic but liking it slightly more recently.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 26th March 2013 at 10:09 AM.

Could someone elaborate on Amouage Gold Man?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Montale is an excellent house. Try Dark Aoud, (sort of like Black Aoud without the rose)
    Cuir d'Arabie,(Leather and oud)
    Red oud,(a sweet almost chocolate mixed in with the oud)
    Louban, (oud and dusty rose) and
    White Aoud (sharper than Dark Aoud)
    Google "Montale samples" sometimes sample stores have packs of multiple samples you can buy all at once saving shipping.
    Amouage is more expensive, they have some nice fragrances...My favorite out of this house is Opus VI but it is very expensive.

I like oud and bought a bunch of Montale samples - Black, Red, Dark, Musk and Cuir d'Arabie - but they all have the same incredibly acrid oud note, that I personally do not care for at all. Give me the "westernized" ouds like Pure Oud and Royal Oud any day, but your mileage may vary.

On that note, Black Aoud is a great idea (rose + oud), but Malle Une Rose + Kilian Pure Oud is Black Aoud on steroids.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend Amouage Interlude

Post Thanks / Like

I own Full Incense by Montale and Interlude Man by Amouage and love both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Black Aoud & Amouage Jubilation XXV.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Montale Aoud Ever
    Montale Full Incense
    Looks like these are ones I should avoid for it's citrus and church, right?
    Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kal1973 View Post
    From the Montale line I recommend black aoud and if it is too strong for the hot weather try lighter ones like white aoud or moon aoud. From Amouage One of the three favorites Dia, Jubilation , or Epic. Epic is heavy on the oud and incense though. Good luck.
    "Moon Aoud" sounds very intriguing. I'll be reading more about this one hoping it smells as intriguing. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    +1 Full Incense
    Red Vetyver
    Chili, I've read so many compare Red Vetyver to TdH so I'd rather choose something more unique. Full incense, they say, is quite churchy, do you agree? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The Montale ouds all have a similar vibe, so if you like Black Oud, you should be ok with the others. What changes is the accompanying note, but, as mikesc was saying, they are all more or less variations rather than different, original scents. Black aoud is perhaps the most classical (and one of those that pack the greatest punch); among the others I'd single out Aoud Lime (with a touch of saffron and less prominent rose), and Aoud cuir d'arabie (with some leathers and musks, very butch).

In Amouage, Jub XXV is a clean incense. wonderful, but I think I understand you find incense too churchy. Epic is less incense centered, but it has some too. My favorite is Amouage Gold man, a huge floral, but I'm afraid you'd find it date. Among what's left, perhaps you can try Dia, very woody. Lyric man has many lovers, it's a clean rose, I find it a little too synthetic smelling, but perhaps it'll click. I actually prefer Silver, an interesting light scent based not on citrus but on rose, with a strange metallic feel up top, but more relaxed later. Avoid Ciel and Cirrus, two modern citrusy sporty masculines of no relevance.

In other brands, I'd single out Le Labo Patchouli, it's a smoky phenolic blast, but you like Lonestar Memories and LADDM, so I suspect you'd be fine with it. And you also seem to like vetivers, which indeed work very well in hot weather. If you haven't tried, I'd recommend Sycomore (like Encre noire, but fresher, more natural smelling) and Vetiver Extraordinaire (the freshest, greenest vetiver around).

cacio
    That was very enlightening, cacio! Thank you.
    Aoud lime sounds interesting because I can't imagine lime and oud together. Althought I'm not looking for fresh/citrus scents, I might sample this after some more reading. BTW, would you consider it fresh or soapy?

I will end up sampling Sycomore one day since I like Encre Noire so much. It's just that it might smell so similar.
    I've been looking for Vetiver Extraordinaire (never smelled it...) but could not find any retailer that would ship it to Brazil, not even samples.

Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, yes, I've seen it ranks as second in a Montale poll. I'm just not really sure I understand what "leather" means as a scent. I have Hermes Equipage and I don't like it (although leather is not in the pyramid, many mention it). I don't like Lalique Equus either.

Does it smell like a horse back or an animal cage (I don't know why I think about that when I read "leather")?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kimo View Post
    I recommend montale Aoud Musc, it has saffron and oud and is dark, quite unique. It is not as dark as montale Dark Aoud though. From Amouage check Interlude. I have Jubilation and Epic but liking it slightly more recently.
    [/URL]
    Uhm... I'll be reading more about Aoud Musk and Interlude. Could you give a little bit more of your take on both Aoud Musk and Dark Aoud?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    Montale is an excellent house. Try Dark Aoud, (sort of like Black Aoud without the rose)
    Cuir d'Arabie,(Leather and oud)
    Red oud,(a sweet almost chocolate mixed in with the oud)
    Louban, (oud and dusty rose) and
    White Aoud (sharper than Dark Aoud)
    Google "Montale samples" sometimes sample stores have packs of multiple samples you can buy all at once saving shipping.
    Amouage is more expensive, they have some nice fragrances...My favorite out of this house is Opus VI but it is very expensive.
    When I smelled Black Aoud, I could almost only smell rose after 30 min or so. I can't imagine what would be left to smell if rose were taken out. Does Dark Aoud smell like Black Aoud all the way until drydown just like Black Aoud in the first 5 minutes?

Louban, I had never seen it. Sounds interesting! I'll read more. Is it similar to Rose 31?

I'll google "montale samples". Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Again, you should test these, especially the Montales. A lot of them smell like petroleum products, horse stalls and churches. You have lots of dislikes that make it very unsafe to blind buy from these houses.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

I don't recommend buying, but I DO recommend trying:
    Amouage Interlude Man, Epic Man, Jubilation XXV and Memoir Man.

Buy samples at Parfums Raffy. That's what I did.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I don't recommend buying, but I DO recommend trying:
    Amouage Interlude Man, Epic Man, Jubilation XXV and Memoir Man.

Buy samples at Parfums Raffy. That's what I did.
    Thanks, l'homme blanc! I will check their prices. I was checking the Perfume Court but they don't ship to Brazil.

Post Thanks / Like

Re Aoud lime, it doesn't really smell much citrusy, it's more a rose-saffron-oud combo. It is definitely neither fresh nor soapy - it's really in the usual Montale style. Leather means something that smells like a leather bag, or car leather seats - Aoud cuir d'arabie adds also some dirty musks, so that's why some people mention animal cage. It's not that, but some people are hypersensitive to certain notes.

cacio

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Montale Cuir smells to me as the most luxurious leather, like skin from very clean horse...racing horse ....i think that smell is is nice combination of birch tar and oud, it does not smell dirty to me at all, animalic yes but not dirty....so its like Chanels Cuir de russie...but without iris and sweetness, and less powdery and with oud, oud gives it almost medicinal cleaness

it starts with the smell of paint in tubes we used to use in the school that would mix with water...i found word distemper in the dictionary ......

i dont think among synthetics there is a musk there that can smell like this...
    Last edited by iivanita; 21st March 2013 at 07:41 AM.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I want to sample Chocolate Greedy. Has anyone here tried it before?

The Ultimate Smell
    Post Thanks / Like

Try Montale Attar? It's only called Attar but comes in spray form EdP.

Post Thanks / Like

Montale - Dark Aoud

Amouage- Jubilation 25 (womens version) and Interlude For Men.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Red Aoud, Jubilation XXV
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    Amouage Interlude Man
    Pure Distance M
    Creed Royal Oud
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Absolue Pour le Soir
    MDCI Chypre Palatin
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Ronia J Oud Assam
    Goti Smoke Essenze

Post Thanks / Like

Try Amouage Jubilation XXV and Epic Man.
    Last edited by nfn1983; 25th March 2013 at 10:52 AM.