Code of Conduct

Default Is Cologne/Perfume considered the top tier fragrance product?

This is a really dumb question-- but i am very new to this fragrance world-- yet through commercials have heard of so products.

Commercial after commercial... scented lotion, after shave, deodorant,perfumes/colognes, body washes, body spray, scented shampoo, scented conditioner, exfoliators, then there's a whole hair industry dedicated to different fragrance-inducing products.

These commercials make it all just kind of overwhelming for someone who just wants to smell great and get the scent to linger on them for a while. So my question to the basenotes forum is what should one have in their arsenal for this? Hopefully it doesn't have to be 20 plus different products...

From reading posts on this forum it seems like things like scented soaps, after shave, and body washes don't really last long. And that body sprays are just cheaper louder forms of cologne. I get the impression that Cologne/perfume is regarded as the best or "main dish" in one's fragrance wardrobe and that everything else plays merely a supporting role.

If this is true-- on a limited budget is it better to spend most on the cologne or should it be something else?

Correct me if I am way off here.

Default Re: Is Cologne/Perfume considered the top tier fragrance product?

Welcome! It's great that you are here reading and asking. Judging from your question, and your other thread so far, IMO you should spend on soap and shampoo first. Cleanliness and health are number one. All other products including a fragrance/perfume are secondary.

Basenotes Plus

First off, welcome to Basenotes!

There are fragrances and there are fragranced products. Even toilet cleaners are scented. Do they qualify as fragrance? Clearly all those fragranced products serve different purposes and should not be confused with perfumery. But great question!

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Welcome! It's great that you are here reading and asking. Judging from your question, and your other thread so far, IMO you should spend on soap and shampoo first. Cleanliness and health are number one. All other products including a fragrance/perfume are secondary.
    I'm sorry... I should have clarified in my fist post.

If I woke up one morning and decided that I wanted my "scent of the day"-- as many other posters have coined this phrase-- would this be best established through cologne/perfume or through soap and shampoo?

If it is the latter then there is certainly something I must be doing wrong, because I can't ever get the soap I use in my shower that strong and long-lasting enough for me to smell it on me unless I put my nose right on my skin.

From some of the other users on here-- they said that they use a unscented soap and shampoo-- but never really clarified on what else it was that they used that gave them their "scent of the day". I'm wondering if it is cologne/perfume where the majority of people get their scents from.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    First off, welcome to Basenotes!

There are fragrances and there are fragranced products. Even toilet cleaners are scented. Do they qualify as fragrance? Clearly all those fragranced products serve different purposes and should not be confused with perfumery. But great question!
    Oh, okay! Makes sense. Now that I think about it-- alot of those I listed up above can be referenced as "fragranced products" but only cologne/perfume is an actual fragrance! Ah!.. Makes so much sense. So Cologne/perfume is what most people refer to on here when talking about different scents.

i remember growing up in a household full of brothers older than me whom basically advised me the more "fragranced products" worn, the better. So thus came the dizzying array of various multiple body sprays, body wash, aftershave, heavy deoderants, all on top of the cologne.

Which is why I was confused when I saw many saying that wearing unscented "fragranced products" were the best so that the actual "fragrance" that you put on could come through. I was just confused on what that actual "fragrance" was coming from that they were speaking of -- until you clarified it for me.
    Last edited by achilles007; 20th March 2013 at 06:40 AM.

Basenotes Plus

What you have described is something I'd term as 'marketing product lines through fragrance.' Say a customer likes a certain body product because of its scent, it sounds highly logical he could be persuaded to buy other toiletry products bearing the same favorite scent. Bingo! More sales.

IMO, you should focus on cologne alone. You don't need to buy any other scented products. If you have dry skin and want to buy a lotion, just buy a regular non oily lotion at CVS (cetaphil or neutrogena). You don't need to spend a lot of money buying the entire line of products because the result won't change. What really matter is the perfume.

Please have it in mind that detergents (scrub gel, shampoo, soap, shower gel, etc) REMOVE oils from the skin. But it is the oils themselves that carry most of the perfumes. So when you apply these products, just a faint smell of perfume remains after the application. If you can buy a regular product with the same quality for a fraction of the cost, why buy the fancy one?

Focus on the perfumes and you will be fine. Trust me.

I agree that the focus should be on the fragrance.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by achilles007 View Post
    This is a really dumb question-- but i am very new to this fragrance world-- yet through commercials have heard of so products.

Commercial after commercial... scented lotion, after shave, deodorant,perfumes/colognes, body washes, body spray, scented shampoo, scented conditioner, exfoliators, then there's a whole hair industry dedicated to different fragrance-inducing products.

These commercials make it all just kind of overwhelming for someone who just wants to smell great and get the scent to linger on them for a while. So my question to the basenotes forum is what should one have in their arsenal for this? Hopefully it doesn't have to be 20 plus different products...

From reading posts on this forum it seems like things like scented soaps, after shave, and body washes don't really last long. And that body sprays are just cheaper louder forms of cologne. I get the impression that Cologne/perfume is regarded as the best or "main dish" in one's fragrance wardrobe and that everything else plays merely a supporting role.

If this is true-- on a limited budget is it better to spend most on the cologne or should it be something else?

Honestly, I think the actual clothes you wear are just as important to your overall presentation, but the cologne you wear does matter more than other fragrances you have such as soaps or shampoos that are fleeting.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles007 View Post

Most fragranced products are not meant to last very long (e.g. soaps, shower gels, shampoos), as they are there mainly to cover up the original smell of the products (e.g. shampoos and hair conditioners are quite unpleasant without the fragrance components). Since they are not meant to last very long, they use very little base ingredients that can extent the longevity.

In contrast, fine fragrances are meant specifically to last longer, but longevity depends on the formula and materials used. Eau de cologne (a specific style of fragrance based on citrus) is usually short-lived. Body sprays and after-shaves have low percentage of oils and are also usually short-lived.

Buying perfumes would be, in my opinion, the best way to enjoy fragrances. If you read enough, you will find that most non-perfume fragrance products are not very well defined in terms of their notes etc. Almost all discussion here on Basenotes or on perfume blogs is devoted to perfumes, less on fragranced products.

I'd suggest going scentless with most products such as shampoos, deodorant,moisturizer, aftershave balm, etc and then just wearing one fragrance (ie cologne/perfume) for the day. Not ALL my products are scentless but if they have a smell then it's very minimal. Otherwise it all conflicts and you just smell like a fruitsalad.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

As the others have said, the perfume itself is the product that gives the most longevity etc. The others are just flankers, pleasant if one wants/can afford, but they don't add much to the perfume experience.

Lotions do help to make a perfume last longer for people who have dry skin, but they don't have to be those of the perfume. Any unscented lotion will do.

cacio