Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Talking Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Hello fumeheads,

    So my collection is starting to greatly grow in the last few months...

    I want you guys to rate my collection and comment on my taste, do i have a specific thing i'm looking for in here ? and any suggestions or recommendations ?

    Calamity J
    Juliette Has a Gun


    Citizen Queen
    Juliette Has a Gun


    Fleurs d'Oranger
    Serge Lutens


    Black XS
    Paco Rabanne


    Michael
    Michael Kors


    Brit for Men
    Burberry


    Dior Homme
    Christian Dior


    Dior Homme Intense
    Christian Dior


    Dirty English
    Juicy Couture


    Fuel For Life pour Homme
    Diesel


    Gucci pour Homme I+22
    Gucci


    L'Homme
    Yves Saint Laurent


    L'Homme Libre
    Yves Saint Laurent


    La Nuit de L'Homme
    Yves Saint Laurent


    M7
    Yves Saint Laurent


    Midnight in Paris
    Van Cleef & Arpels


    Midnight Poison
    Christian Dior


    Sculpture Homme
    Nikos



    Thank you guys in advance, this forum has helped me so much and now i'm addicted to sampling and buying new stuff... i'm almost broke lol
    Last edited by Mad14; 21st March 2013 at 05:32 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    your tastes seem a little scattered. not in a bad way, but just judging from your collection I can't really pinpoint what exactly your style or favorite type of fragrances are. I would probably start sampling some of the more well known niche fragrances before buying more designer fragrances. I've ended up selling or swapping away a good portion of my lower priced fragrances after finding more things I really like at the other end of the spectrum.

    For future purchases I would think about adding fragrances for specific uses. Maybe a few day time or summer fragrances. For work. Etc.. Personally I've got most of my scenarios covered, so I pretty much buy things these days for the "art" of it all. Or when I find a fragrance that features a note I like in a well executed or creative way.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    As noted by rhaybans, nice collection, going forward focusing on specific uses does help to focus on what you need:

    In terms of niche, recommended to try:



    Why don't you check out some of the Malle line:

    - Vetiver Extraordinare and Geranium Pour Monsieur in particular, you may enjoy.



    Chanel Exclusives:

    - Sycomore or Coromandel
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Quote Originally Posted by rhaybans View Post
    your tastes seem a little scattered. not in a bad way, but just judging from your collection I can't really pinpoint what exactly your style or favorite type of fragrances are. I would probably start sampling some of the more well known niche fragrances before buying more designer fragrances. I've ended up selling or swapping away a good portion of my lower priced fragrances after finding more things I really like at the other end of the spectrum.

    For future purchases I would think about adding fragrances for specific uses. Maybe a few day time or summer fragrances. For work. Etc.. Personally I've got most of my scenarios covered, so I pretty much buy things these days for the "art" of it all. Or when I find a fragrance that features a note I like in a well executed or creative way.
    I agree...Nice collection. I also branched out into niche fragrances and ended up selling a lot of my mainstream stuff like rhaybans said, I kept L'Homme Libre, Versace Pour Homme, and a few others, but now own almost all niche. Not that anything was wrong with the dept. store stuff, it just didn't last long on me, and I found that I liked stuff no one else around me had. Try Penhaligon's as a safe first attempt at niche.

  5. #5
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    83,720

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    You're on your way!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    As long as your happy with your collection, that's all that matters.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

    Roja Dove

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    8/10 , very good start so far

  8. #8

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Like Prince B said, If you're happy, that's all that matters. Nice collection bro.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Nice collection. As a person with a modest collection as well, I find the best thing(and most enjoyable) is to just go out and sniff different things. You may not like everything you smell but it will enhance your nose's vocabulary. I'd say from what you have above, looking into a few straight leathers and fougeres wouldn't hurt.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Thank you everyone so much for the feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by flamechief View Post
    Nice collection. As a person with a modest collection as well, I find the best thing(and most enjoyable) is to just go out and sniff different things. You may not like everything you smell but it will enhance your nose's vocabulary. I'd say from what you have above, looking into a few straight leathers and fougeres wouldn't hurt.
    Fougeres are green scents right?

    Your collection is awesome too !!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Nice collection!

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    La République
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    as rhaybans put it.. keep testing, before you really dive in anymore.
    Current Top 5:
    1. DHI
    2. Oud Wood
    3. Aventus
    4. By. Kilian A Taste of heaven
    5. Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur

  13. #13

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad14 View Post
    Thank you everyone so much for the feedback.



    Fougeres are green scents right?

    Your collection is awesome too !!
    hmmm..I guess you could call them green. They definitely have a herbaceous feel to them. I'd say Azzaro for the classical approach to fougeres or Cool Water as an introduction to how they are more likely to smell now.
    Im not sure I agree on the niche vs designer sentiment expressed. I have found my appreciation for certain cheap designer fragrances increasing as I indulge more in this hobby. I think learning to appreciate a good composition(which judging by your collection is something you have) is much more effective than drawing an arbitrary line.

  14. #14
    Dependent bigsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    near Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,584

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Looks OK to me. I see some nice ones in there. You'll be smelling good, dude.
    And I hear ya about the sampling. It's alot of fun, and my wife even likes it when I get new stuff to try, and get her opinion on.
    Though sometimes I like stuff that she doesn't.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

  15. #15

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    As long as your happy with your collection, that's all that matters.
    Absolutely this.

    The thing about asking others to rate your collection is that we can only take a wild guess as to how those scents wear on you, and only you know what kind of feedback you get from them.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,256
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    seems as if you like sweeter/oriental scents more than anything. givenchy pi and minotaure come to mind.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Quote Originally Posted by flamechief View Post
    Im not sure I agree on the niche vs designer sentiment expressed. I have found my appreciation for certain cheap designer fragrances increasing as I indulge more in this hobby. I think learning to appreciate a good composition(which judging by your collection is something you have) is much more effective than drawing an arbitrary line.
    EXCELLENT POINT!!!

    Hanae Mori, HM: $30. Compliment factor: through the roof.
    Ungaro III. Under $30.
    Bvlgari Black: under $25.
    Corduroy, by Zirh. $10. It's so underrated.

    I'm not suggesting those are works of art along the lines of L'Air du Desert Marocain, but I enjoy wearing them very much and the feedback I get from them is really positive. Also: I never would have appreciated them had I not gotten into this hobby thanks to basenotes.

    My point: Be careful not to forget what matters. Some people feel it's important to impress everyone on basenotes. They go from hype to hype and choose things that look good online. I take the opposite approach. To me, all that matters is how it smells to me and, to a lesser extent, what kind of feedback I get when people smell me. If you put Curve in your list above, you'll get no respect here on basenotes, but if you wear it on a 1st date, you can't go wrong.

    We can talk about perfume online, but you can only smell perfume offline. It's the offline world that matters. Just as my signature says... follow your nose.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  18. #18

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    EXCELLENT POINT!!!

    Hanae Mori, HM: $30. Compliment factor: through the roof.
    Ungaro III. Under $30.
    Bvlgari Black: under $25.
    Corduroy, by Zirh. $10. It's so underrated.

    I'm not suggesting those are works of art along the lines of L'Air du Desert Marocain, but I enjoy wearing them very much and the feedback I get from them is really positive. Also: I never would have appreciated them had I not gotten into this hobby thanks to basenotes.

    My point: Be careful not to forget what matters. Some people feel it's important to impress everyone on basenotes. They go from hype to hype and choose things that look good online. I take the opposite approach. To me, all that matters is how it smells to me and, to a lesser extent, what kind of feedback I get when people smell me. If you put Curve in your list above, you'll get no respect here on basenotes, but if you wear it on a 1st date, you can't go wrong.

    We can talk about perfume online, but you can only smell perfume offline. It's the offline world that matters. Just as my signature says... follow your nose.
    that was beautiful man

  19. #19

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    I noticed the guy has 3 niche frags out of a collection of 19 (and he listed them first btw) and told him to look into more niche and now people are starting in with the designer vs niche stuff. Maybe it's unavoidable these days? I have previously sold or swapped away 7 of the fragrances that Mad14 currently owns. We can only give advice based on personal experiences.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Quote Originally Posted by rhaybans View Post
    I noticed the guy has 3 niche frags out of a collection of 19 (and he listed them first btw) and told him to look into more niche and now people are starting in with the designer vs niche stuff. Maybe it's unavoidable these days? I have previously sold or swapped away 7 of the fragrances that Mad14 currently owns. We can only give advice based on personal experiences.
    I honestly do like my niche scents better than my designer scents, can't wait to sample and go into more niche!!!!!!

  21. #21

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Quite diversified and covering quite an impressive range of both trendy and timelessly tasteful, surefire classic scents.

    My further suggestions would also include:

    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Any concentration, variation and/or flanker of Hermes TDH
    Mugler Cologne
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme
    Caron pour un Homme
    London and The Beat, both by Burberry

  22. #22

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Quite diversified and covering quite an impressive range of both trendy and timelessly tasteful, surefire classic scents.

    My further suggestions would also include:

    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Any concentration, variation and/or flanker of Hermes TDH
    Mugler Cologne
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme
    Caron pour un Homme
    London and The Beat, both by Burberry
    Thank you so much ! i samples London a long time ago and i liked it.

  23. #23
    Dependent bigsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    near Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,584

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Quite diversified and covering quite an impressive range of both trendy and timelessly tasteful, surefire classic scents.

    My further suggestions would also include:

    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Any concentration, variation and/or flanker of Hermes TDH
    Mugler Cologne
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme
    Caron pour un Homme
    London and The Beat, both by Burberry
    The Van Cleef & Arpels PH is an excellent suggestion, if you can handle a no-nonsense, masculine powerhouse. It is probably one of the more universally likeable frags of the powerhouse genre. Last time I looked, out of 30 reviews, 25 were positive, which is a pretty high ratio.
    And for a great, soapy, slightly sweet scent with great longevity, look into Prada Amber PH. I think very highly of this one, and women are sure to like it.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

  24. #24

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    The Van Cleef & Arpels PH is an excellent suggestion, if you can handle a no-nonsense, masculine powerhouse. It is probably one of the more universally likeable frags of the powerhouse genre. Last time I looked, out of 30 reviews, 25 were positive, which is a pretty high ratio.
    And for a great, soapy, slightly sweet scent with great longevity, look into Prada Amber PH. I think very highly of this one, and women are sure to like it.
    Prada's colognes all sounds good. I'll have to sample them.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Rate my modest collection ! :D

    It's up to you and you alone to rate your own collection. You have some that I own and like very much, and some that I am not much of a fan of. Just keep sampling and buying - as your finances allow. But most of all, enjoy the journey!

Similar Threads

  1. How many in your collection do you rate 10 out of 10 and which?
    By Dailey in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 8th July 2014, 02:28 PM
  2. Rate my collection please!
    By Senny in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 13th May 2011, 12:54 AM
  3. Please rate my collection....
    By deck89 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 19th February 2007, 07:33 PM
  4. Please rate my collection
    By deeablow in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 3rd January 2007, 09:56 PM
  5. Please Help, rate my collection.. :)
    By Gumby in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 5th August 2005, 05:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000