Code of Conduct

Default Need suggestions for a 'signature scent'

So as of right now my collection consists only of decants. I have never put down the big bucks for a full bottle because I haven't found a fragrance that I can wear every season, is unique, and is a good compliment getter.
    As of right now I have a decant collection of 20-30 five to ten mL atomizer which goes to show the extent in which I have gone to to try and find this one scent. I couldn't find what I wanted in stores, so I took part in splits to get more exclusive fragrances. Now I know my collection doesn't compare to what many of you have, but I have invested quite a bit more than what I anticipated.
    Do you guys have any suggestions? Some of my favorites are Tobacco Vanille, Aventus, and Silver Mountain Water. I find all those to be very unique, but with the exception of Aventus, I can't wear those year round. The issue I I have with Aventus is that it's kind of popular, and I don't want to smell like other people I know-- I want to have a relatively exclusive signature scent.
    Thank you so much! I've gotten great advice here in the past so I'm hoping you guys will come to my rescue again. I'm looking for something that gets compliments, is unique, and can be worn year round

Default Re: Need suggestions for a 'signature scent'

How about CDG2 man? It's a fresh incense, so it works both in the summer (fresh) and in the winter (incense). And as a niche perfume, it's not common.

cacio

Is the problem with Aventus' popularity a Basenotes refrence or a general public reference? I have only recognized it on one other person, who is the only other maniac of fragrances I know. Even where I work, which is an office of about 2,000 young professionals in Chicago, I haven't smelled it on anyone else once. Not even walking around, and I smell different fragrances all day. May be different where you live, but I would say it's still a niche scent and probably not being worn by enough other people to threaten it being your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by krooze View Post
    Is the problem with Aventus' popularity a Basenotes refrence or a general public reference? I have only recognized it on one other person, who is the only other maniac of fragrances I know. Even where I work, which is an office of about 2,000 young professionals in Chicago, I haven't smelled it on anyone else once. Not even walking around, and I smell different fragrances all day. May be different where you live, but I would say it's still a niche scent and probably not being worn by enough other people to threaten it being your signature.
    It's that I have friends who are also very into fragrances, and many of them occasionally wear aventus as well.

I've never tried it. What are your thoughts on it? Is it a good balance between freshness and spices? Too much of anything dark usually turns me off of a fragrance.

There are no spices or particularly warm materials in CDG2 man - so no heaviness. There's frankincense. Think of a clean cold church, if you will. I mentioned this because the feel is quite modern and overall clean, but it has none of the sharpness of simplemindedness of many modern masculines.

cacio

The more you sample, the more chance of discovering your signature scent.

My suggestion is to not have a signature scent. Don't try to limit yourself to an all-purpose do-all scent. Don't have a signature shirt. Don't have a signature pair of socks. Don't have a signature scent. Why have one when 50 will do?
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Signature Scent? Your asking the wrong people here.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Quote Originally Posted by krooze View Post
    I've not encounter anyone yet with Aventus, general populace will not and say it again will not pay the cost of it and I live in NYC : so popularity is more a frag head issue here in Basenotes and other fume head venues in www....now if your friends have it then that's another issue because since they're FumeHeads then you're bound to run to any niche fragrance worn by them...IMHO you will have to go super exclusive or obtain a middle eastern exclusive and be ready to break the bank or save up for it ; a frag that many don't have and it exclusive to the Middle East or Europe and hard to come by ....a good pick is for ex, Montale's "Pine & Aoud" and the chances your friends will have it is bleak to non and its only will cost you about $110 shipped by especific EBay vendor .A Gem of frag this one is and on my Top 5 of all time IMHO ...Cheerios

btw, as you encounter more scents you will end up having frags you love perhaps and those you only like and eventually I perceive signature frag especifications will go out the window....
    Last edited by magnus611; 14th August 2014 at 02:19 AM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Perhaps try Cuir Tabac by David Jourquin and see what you think of it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

The only signature scent I can wear is Mugler Cologne, because it's just so easy to wear. Even my favorite fragrances can get annoying and I end up not wanting to wear them everyday, or multiple days in a row.

I don't think that Aventus is too common though - it might be popular on Basenotes but I've got a good nose and I've only smelled it on one or two people since it's release. Most people wear more easily attainable and cheaper fragrances, if anything at all. I'd go with the Aventus if that's what you like!

Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte or Hermes Mandarine Ambree.