Code of Conduct

Question How do you choose which fragrance to wear?

Men of Basenotes, I am interested to know: how do you choose which fragrance to wear? Is it based on where you are going? Perhaps on the weather? Perhaps both of the previous or something else? Or maybe you randomly choose a fragrance on your way out the door? Most certainly it must be more difficult to choose for those that have a larger number of fragrances.

Default Re: How do you choose which fragrance to wear?

For me there is no particular system. It's whatever my hand grabs in the morning off the shelf.

Banned
    Blog Entries

overall random, but weather and occasion can influence my decision.

Instinct. I wear what I feel like wearing. But there are also rules. If I am going to spend a day at the park, I choose a lighter fragrance than the one I would choose if I were going to a concert.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For me there is no particular system. It's whatever my hand grabs in the morning off the shelf.
    +1 Me too

Weather and mood are the biggest factors for me. Occasion is almost non-existent. Hell, I wear A*Men to work when I'm in the mood and the weather is appropriate.

Depends where I'm going, how long I want it to last and also just what i fancy that day. I get bored of wearing even my favourite fragrances more than a couple of times consecutively.

Today in London it's a little chilly but not super cold. I've worn a lot of gourmands recently so didn't fancy anything from that genre. I quite fancied wearing Fahrenheit or TDH and was about to grab for the former when i suddenly spotted The Dreamer which I haven't worn for a while so ended up grabbing that instead. Still enjoying the drydown and glad I made that choice today

Apart from certain existing constraints (restrictions, rules, precautions imposed by allergies, fragrance free environments, certain occasions and their dress codes, extreme climate etc.), I pretty much wear whatever suits my mood.

Like frostyicy, weather and mood more important than occasion. I often wear 1 million or TV as an office scent although some people will have you believe this shouldn't be done......

Quote Originally Posted by itde View Post
    Is it based on where you are going? Perhaps on the weather? Perhaps both of the previous or something else? Or maybe you randomly choose a fragrance on your way out the door?
    Mix of the above!
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

With my eyeballs

Weather and occasion for me.

No rule at all.

Sometime i used to wear some cheapie (demeter and such) to attend some snobby events when i know some regulars there that like to brag about "sigh~~how my husband only wear niche fragrances". I like looking at them rolling their eyes whenever they asked me my fragrance of choice. That would be the highlight of the entertainment for the evening.

I'm rather venue and occasion oriented.

From my very limited wardrobe:

At work, Creed's Royal Oud if I'm dressing up, and Armani's Bois d'Encens if I'm dressing down.

To attract the attention of hot men at certain gay bars, Tom Ford's Oud Wood, or Creed's Royal Oud. (Other gay bars require a special t-shirt that I hand wash in cold water without soap--yes, it smells exactly like a manly man about to do manly things with other manly men.)

For church-going with my Roman Catholic mother, Bois d'Encens.

For Orthodox church-going with the Russians or Greeks, Montale's Full Incense.

For Protestant church-going, a shower.

For sex, Montale's Dark Aooooooud.

For cooking, a shower.

For housework, Halston Z-14.

For reading, Bois d'Encens.

It can be random. However, I prefer wearing scents that I haven't worn in a while. I definitely try to avoid wearing a scent I already wore within the past few days. Weather and the occasion definitely influences my decision. As well as the amount of time I'd be out.

For example, if I'm going to be out for most of the day, I'd prefer a scent with really good longevity. If I'm only going to be out a few hours, I'd be fine with scents with weaker longevity (would probably reach for my Creeds).

2011 - random
    2012 - I used Basenotes' fragrance Wardrobe function and used my frags alphabetically (for rotation's sake).
    2013 - back to being random but Im extending the use of a frag for 3 straight days ... I still use the Wardrobe function to track. Choice criteria would be weather, mood & where or what I'm off to.

Ye Gods!

Default Choice

Whatever I feel like on the spur of the moment.

Lots of what everyone else has said but something else is what clothes I'm wearing.
    If I'm dressing nice on a certain day I tend to reach for something different than if I was wearing something causal.

Weather, time of day, and nostalgia.

how do you choose which fragrance to wear? Is it based on where you are going? Perhaps on the weather? Perhaps both of the previous or something else?
    I choose which fragrance to wear the same way I choose what clothes to wear. It's more or less a combination of "What's the weather like today", "What am I doing today?" and "How do I want to feel today?"
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    lol!

Banned
    Blog Entries

randomly.

Basenotes Plus

With nothing predetermined ....

I used to have a very hard time picking my fragrance. It got to the point where looking at 90+ bottles in the morning all jumbled together just melted my brain, but it's got VERY easy since I separated my fragrances into four storage boxes - one box for each season. Now it's a piece of cake.

I use a proprietory algorithm

I usually look at the SOTD post and just copy someone else who has better taste than me. LOL

Occasion (work?) and who I'm meeting

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I use a proprietory algorithm
    Rofl

Weather and occasion for me
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Occasion, my mood, season, and if I haven't worn it for a few months (try to keep everything in the rotation)

Entirely based on my mood.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

No fixed rules unless it's a special occasion. Quite often it's just a sample of the day currently under review.

I do the Basenotes Pick me a random fragrance thing and then ignore it and go with whatever strikes my mood that day.

I wear the one I like.

I have weekly things like Classics week or test week or citrus weeks. Sometimes I wear them for a few days in a row. I need a better system.
    Last edited by Nersh; 21st March 2013 at 06:53 AM.

Me to

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Me to
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

depend what i crave

season/weathers play a factor in my decision
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

1. I will check weather
    2. Then I decide what clothes will I wear
    3. Then I decide what fragrance will I wear based on my clothes and weather

I would never wear for example Black Aoud with shorts and tshirt or Angel Men with suit and tie.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Depeneding on the weather I decide just by my mood and desire!

- - - Updated - - -

Nice, me too nearly!

My mood is the main factor for decision and the longevity needs from the fragrance are secondary factor.
    Last edited by ace11; 21st March 2013 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darcy666 View Post
    Depends where I'm going, how long I want it to last and also just what i fancy that day. I get bored of wearing even my favourite fragrances more than a couple of times consecutively.

Today in London it's a little chilly but not super cold. I've worn a lot of gourmands recently so didn't fancy anything from that genre. I quite fancied wearing Fahrenheit or TDH and was about to grab for the former when i suddenly spotted The Dreamer which I haven't worn for a while so ended up grabbing that instead. Still enjoying the drydown and glad I made that choice today
    Exactly! I go by instinct and oftentimes spontaneity. Shucks, I could have my weekly calendar designated with the SOTD and defeat my whole purpose by going for "feel." Poor Tomorrow by Avon has to wait yet another week.
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Dior Homme Sport, DHI, Allure Edition Blanche, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: L'homme

Combo of Weather, occasion, who I'm going to be with, what I'm wearing.. but it's not like I dwell on it, well I have been known to take a week or so to think about what to wear for a big event

Mainly I just think about it while I'm showering and figure out what would feel right
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Mood that morning if going out anywhere and tailored to suit the occasion.

More usually when at home, a frag specifically chosen for a certain note/s for self education purposes, or a particular frag worn for discussion with others doing the same such as our synchronised Fridays.

I look at my little fragrance harem and pick the one I desire.

Thank you to those with serious and well thought-out answers. To answer my own question.. for me it is all of the options I mentioned.

The location of an outing most definitely has to be part of a decision. For example, one would not wear a fragrance to a doctor's office, would perhaps wear a light fragrance for an airplane flight, and would wear different types of fragrances to, say, an art gallery than to a night club. Weather is also an important variable. Heavier scents are not ideal for hot, humid, summer days, whereas lighter ones are, but the reverse is true for freezing cold days. Lastly, from a set of fragrances that may be appropriate for a location in some weather, if one is unable to make a decision, a random choosing is the quick solution, especially for those with an insanely high number of choices!

Correct choosing brings the greatest chance for compliments, which is normally wonderful to hear from the opposite gender!

Kind of a combination of all those things you mentioned without actually thinking about them.

It's mostly intuitive at this point. But I used to 'think' about it a lot more.

By blend & genre.

First I'll have to decide whether I prefer something linear or complex. Complex is clear but linear is something like a soliflore. A rose based scent or geranium or pure vetiver or leather.

Then by genre, resins, flora, citric, chypre, leathery and so on.

for swap/sale:

Like fulfilling food cravings; satisfy the nose cravings and maybe think a little to the weather appropriateness of the fragrance.

Whatever I'm in the mood for or I find myself craving...it usually takes longer than deciding my clothes.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I have a work rotation and i tend to favour certain scents at certain times of year. There are fragrances I would avoid under certain circumstances.

Having said that, i am not religious about it and break my 'rules' at the time.

intuition is my pilot.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Whatever I like to wear, but I do not wear light summer scent on cold day because it is too soft to enjoy it on windy day.

By the way, every Monday when I need to wear my 'Deputy Sheriff Uniform' I wear somethings that project masculinity and power & every monthly provincial meetings with the Governor and high-ranked officers I wear something polite and professional.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Most certainly it must be more difficult to choose for those that have a larger number of fragrances.
    that is to be expected, no? but i found the opposite (to be) truth.
    Last edited by gido; 31st March 2013 at 03:37 PM.

I pick mine based on what type I feel like wearing, spicy, resineous, dark, fresh and then filter out based on my wardrobe.

Like others have said, it's about mood, weather, and occasion.

mood example: If I'm in a mood to be a little naughty and edgy-sexy, I might choose Lutens' Muscs Koublai Khan.

weather example: I live in a hot, humid environment. I would never EVER wear Le Labo's Patchouli 24 in the summer. That would be unthinkable for me. Likewise, I have been waiting for months to wear one of my very very favorite frags, Profumo del Forte's Tirrenico, since, to me, that wondrous brew belongs solely to the spring and summer.

occasion example: Guerlain's Derby is ONLY worn to the finest of occasions, because I look at it as the same as a royal who breaks out her tiara for state dinners, etc.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

I agree.

Intuition with a creative eye on what the circumstances of my day will require. I change totally what I might where depending upon what I am doing that morning or evening.

Most of the time some of my fragrances just feels right in the morning. On some rare mornings, i just can't decide. In that case, i don't wear any fragrance (i'll wait and usually during the morning it will clear up.)
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

intuition...