Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: The "back of the wardrobe" challenge

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    You know the down side of this challenge is going to be a major guilt trip, don't you? I feel like I'm letting all of these lovely scents down by only wearing them occasionally.
    I am afraid that in my case there's no way around this. I have around 90 bottles which means that if I want to treat them evenly then they would each get about 4 wears per year. But I also want to wear my decants and samples so it ends up even worth than this.

I have considered trimming my collection down but I love (almost) everything I have and do want to keep my bottles. So I'll just re-visit the worn-a-long-time-ago scents occassionally and enjoy. No guilt.

Blog Entries

Yesterday l revisited my sample of Ginger Ciao by Yosh, another one that l last tried in September 2011.

The first time around, l found this to be a creamy-sweet, beachy floral; pleasant, but lacking in depth, projection & longevity.
    And it still strikes me just the same. lt might be just the thing to wear to the beach, but otherwise its flatness & softness frustrates me. lf l were to recommend something in this vein, it would be the much stronger, headier Manoumalia.

- - - Updated - - -

Today l revisited my sample of Jasmin et Cigarette by ELd'O.

On the first try, l got a very soft jasmine with a hint of bad breath, a sweet ambery base, & no tobacco or ashtray note at all.
    Today, l still got the bad breath note, & just a whisper of hay or tobacco in the heart, but my main complaint with this fragrance is still its lack of projection.

lt seems l don't tend to change my mind on fragrances that l've disliked on the first go. "Love" has been known to turn to "like" or even strong dislike, but rarely the other way around!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Last evening, I reached way back in the cabinet and pulled out Ava Luxe Sweet Absinthe. I had worn No. 23 during the day, so thought I would just continue on the Avafest

Chop chop on the chopping block it goes! It is just too sweet. Opens with a general smell like absinthe, and some thick licorice notes, then slowly starts to drift towards a creamy wood. But overall, I did not enjoy this blind buy any more than when I originally purchased it. No more tries for me.

I agree teardrop, if I hate something, I generally do not change my mind. Love to like, and like to love tend to happen somewhat frequently

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    I am afraid that in my case there's no way around this. I have around 90 bottles which means that if I want to treat them evenly then they would each get about 4 wears per year. But I also want to wear my decants and samples so it ends up even worth than this.

I have considered trimming my collection down but I love (almost) everything I have and do want to keep my bottles. So I'll just re-visit the worn-a-long-time-ago scents occassionally and enjoy. No guilt.
    Yeah, I'm on 95 full sized bottles and about 40 samples, decants and minis (ish, it could be way more than that). It's just way too easy to wear the same flavour of the month fragrance all week if you don't think about it, isn't it?
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Blog Entries

Today l revisited my sample of B by Blood Concept, tried once last May after it came in a care package from a lovely basenoter.

l found the accord of fruit & tobacco in this one very reminiscent of a darker, denser Ambre Narguile, with a base of woods, black tea & patchouli instead of the pastry-sweetness of AN. l haven't tried any others from this line, but other reviewers state that this is the most accessible, & l didn't get anything blood-like or metallic from it.
    lt still strikes me the same way, & l can only say that this fragrance kind of annoys me. l think it's complex & well-constructed, & l feel like l "should" enjoy it, but l don't, for two reasons; 1. My brain keeps telling me l'm smelling AN & l'm waiting for the delicious drydown that never comes, & 2. l know it's shallow, but the whole aesthetic of this line just puts me right off. Nope, it's not for me.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

This morning, from WAY in the back of the wardrobe, I grabbed Lacoste pour Femme. I had to actually dig around among my empty boxes to find it. And to be honest, I was going to give it to a friend who does not really wear much perfume. It is gentle enough that I thought she might enjoy it.

I usually only wear this once or twice a year, around the time Roland Garros tennis tournament starts, the stomping ground of Mr. Lacoste himself (a tennis player from yesteryear).

This one is smooth, with a slight peppery and white floral heart leading to a soft and gentle wood and incense close. It is as inoffensive as you can get, short of just washing with a scented soap Should be perfect for my tennis match today!!!

Today, I am wearing Fou d'Absinthe. It's been sitting on my shelf for the past two years, collecting dust. I did not remember that it had a strong burnt/caramellised top note. One hour into wearing it, the burnt note is now subsiding and giving place to the green absinth delight I so enjoy. I'll probably reach more often for this now that spring is finally here.

I like this challenge! I'm either wearing Tommy Girl, Romance, or Amarige today, but haven't decided which. All are from my college days, so I'm going to be feeling nostalgic.

"Just Grapefruit" by Arran Aromatics, which is perfect for a day of sunshine, low cloud and heavy showers.

Such a true grapefruit scent, like the freshly cut or peeled fruit, and so uplifting and long-lasting.

Blog Entries

Today l've revisited my sample of Tubereuse 3 by Histoires de Parfum, tried once last November.

l was impressed with it then, & l still am; it's a complex & easily unisex tuberose with plenty of progression to keep it interesting. l don't love it enough to want a bottle though, as l already own bottles of my big tuberose loves; Carnal Flower & Fracas.

Vintage Fendi by Fendi
    Old School perfumeology

Lovely idea! Today I wore vintage YSL Paris. Lushious rose and violet, very wonderful for spring.

Blog Entries

Today l've revisited my sample of Jubilation 25, last tried way back in 2010!

The first time around, l found that the combination of herbs & spices in the opening phase reminded me strongly of curry. l didn't get that today, but of course my sample has aged a bit since then. The rest of the fragrance is still a herbal, woody floral with a base of moss & doughy ambergris, very much like Vol de Nuit, to my nose. l will therefore have to file this one in the "dense, retro chypres that really aren't for me" category.

I'm wearing Matin Calin. It is very sweet, but has a good sandalwood note.

Blog Entries

Today l've revisited my sample of S-ex by S-Perfumes.

On the first go, l found that this ozonic, fruity, white musk-based floral left me rather cold. l didn't dislike it, but it didn't deliver any of the animalic warmth suggested by its name. Today l enjoyed it slightly more; l think it helped that the weather is warm & sunny, & the marine notes reminded me of the beach. lt still doesn't really light my fire, though.

queen of the universe

As it happens, the back of my wardrobe is the front of the calendar. Can I tear myself away from my vintage favorites and admit there is life after the era of civet laden aldehydes and dark green chypres? That we are in siecle XXIieme? Not today, but tomorrow perhaps I'll challenge myself with Coach Legacy. Stay tuned....
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Creed love in black

Blog Entries

Today l revisited my sample of Chypre Rouge by Lutens.

l wasn't terribly keen on this the first time around, & today l liked it even less. ln fact l have come to agree with some of the reviewers who describe it as a bit of a mess. lt starts out kind of musty & bitter, with a strange synthetic fruitiness somewhere in the middle, & dries down to a quite ordinary vanilla. Meh. On the swap list it goes.

Today a Sample of Bond 9 I love New York, Mother's Day

- - - Updated - - -

Givenchy LeDe from the very back of the wardrobe!

Blog Entries

Today l revisited my sample of Poison Esprit de Parfum, last tried way back in 2010, when it was sent to me by a very generous basenoter.

lt should be said that this version is much softer & smoother than the original 80s powerhouse, which l personally remember with some degree of loathing. And it seems that this sample has aged rather well, for me anyway. When l first tried it, l still got rather too much of the sickly plummy, berry notes which l really disliked in the original. Today, it came off as simply a honeyed, creamy white floral with a touch of vanillic sweetness. To my surprise, l quite like it now, & whereas before l would only have worn it in cold weather, it worked just fine on this warm evening. l have no idea what the regular version being sold nowadays is like, & l don't feel any more inclined to find out than l did, but l enjoyed being surprised by this one today.

Good Morning!
    Mariah Carey Luscious Pink from in Back of the Wardrobe

Blog Entries

Today l revisited Tawaf by La Via del Profumo; a mini sent to me last year by another very generous basenoter.

l found this to be a very screechy, loud & high-pitched jasmine, with green, metallic & lightly peppery aspects. ln many ways not really floral at all, & completely lacking, for me, the expected opoponax note.
    l had hoped that trying it in warmer weather might bring out more of the earthy or resinous notes that l've read about, but no, this one still isn't working for me. On the swap list it goes.

MISS BALMAIN perfume

Banned
    Blog Entries

Carlos santana a few days ago. This is very challenging

GOOD MORNING!
    From the back of the Wardrobe it's Caron's Nocturnes. It's NOT my favorite Caron, but once you get past the aldehydes, the mandarin orange and jasmine are kind of nice.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Back of the Wardrobe...

This was a thread I believe in the Huddler Days so I will start a new one..
    Pick out something in the back of your wardrobe-wear it and please do tell why you barely wear it and why..

Jaguar Perfomance for me today..
    I bought about 5 Jaguar frag's blind some time ago..
    Don't ask me why-LOL

Anyway it's an ok scent that reminds me of Curve a bit..
    Most of the regulars here know how I feel about Curve..

We all have made some strange purchases so Guys and Gals Respond!!

Default Re: Back of the Wardrobe...

Tony - you could have just waited until the Huddler data gets restored. I'm sure it will be any day now...

Anyway, I just wore Polo (green) last night before I went to bed -- sure don't wear it often - was the 1st time in over a year. Really nice scent - even if it is a reformulation (and a shadow of the original). It still reminds me of way back. I don't wear it out in public because it is too synonymous with a different time. Nice to give it a sniff every now and then however.

I did this about a week ago, grabbed for Mauboussin M Generation. A very nice, sweet/spicy incense fragrance, especially for the money. A little similar to Comme des Garcons Ouarzazate, however, it's much longer lasting. I think I might actually favor this one to Ouarzazate. I don't wear it a ton, just because I have a ton of other fragrances. Additionally, it's a comforting scent. Something you only reach for every so often but when you do you realize why it's in your collection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I did this about a week ago, grabbed for Mauboussin M Generation. A very nice, sweet/spicy incense fragrance, especially for the money. A little similar to Comme des Garcons Ouarzazate, however, it's much longer lasting. I think I might actually favor this one to Ouarzazate. I don't wear it a ton, just because I have a ton of other fragrances. Additionally, it's a comforting scent. Something you only reach for every so often but when you do you realize why it's in your collection.
    I agree - this one is nice. I think the reason it's back-of-the-wardrobe for me is that it's just a bit aggressive - one wear satisfies me for a LOOOONG time.

Camera 600 by Max DeVille is in the depths of my wardrobe. Find it too strong and sharp to wear these days.

(4010)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.