Code of Conduct

Default Hedione 50th anniversary by Firmenich

Dear all,

I have a 'problem' I hope you can help me with.
    A while ago i was given a bottle of Firmenich's Hedione 50th Anniversary fragrance which I like very much. Alas it is now almost finished and I am looking for a similar commercial scent to replace it. My Dad, who is a perfumer (just not for Firmenich) and gave me the Hedione in the first place, suggested Eau Savage. Upon trying it though it was quite different to both how he remembered it to be and to Firmenich scent.

Would any of you have any sugestions for me?
    Thanks in advance!

Crat

ha5yjymy.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Hedione 50th anniversary by Firmenich

Hi & welcome, Crat - that's an interesting one!
    Hopefully, someone here will have some suggestions.

Aside (presumably) from Hedione, how does the perfume smell ? You probably belong to a very small group who own / have smelt this particular scent.
    l'Eau Sauvage did (and does) contain a famously big dose of Hedione. No.19 does, too (beside a million other perfumes).
    Is there any chance your father could re-create something similar for you ?
    Last edited by gandhajala; 10th February 2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: see below

Eau Sauvage has been reformulated so it is unlikely to smell as your father remembered it. Compared with contemporary fragrances Eau Sauvage contained a tiny amount of Hedione (0.5% I think). Not much help am I?

http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...y-perfume.html
    http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...l-hedione.html

Odeur 53 (Comme des Garcons) is supposed to contain the highest percentage of hedione on the market - more than half of the formula.https://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=21600
    Last edited by pluran; 10th February 2014 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Eau Sauvage has been reformulated so it is unlikely to smell as your father remembered it. Compared with contemporary fragrances Eau Sauvage contained a tiny amount of Hedione (0.5% I think). Not much help am I?
    That is a (comparatively) tiny amount. In which case I stand corrected.
    I have an older bottle and the it seems like there's so much more.
    Thanks, David.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll check out Odeur 53.

I don't have my Dad's god-given sense of smell unfortunenately and am terrible at analyzing perfumes, wines and all that stuff. If I had to describe Hedione 50th it would be as fresh, crisp and light. Thats what I usually go for.
    As my Dad lives and works abroad and is quite busy I dunno how long it would take before I got something from him and was hoping someone here would know an off-the-shelf alternative. I'll ask him to later this week.
    If I find something similar I'll be sure to let you know.

Reading the links above it seems that Hedione 50th is full of Firmenich specialities (but they would do that, wouldn't they?). Looks to be a fresh, citrus fruity floral. Have you tried any of the Hermes fragrances in the "Jardin" series (Jardin Mediterenee, Jardin sur le Nil etc.), they are all light fresh fruity florals. I have no idea if any are remotely close, but it may be worth finding out about them.

http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...y-perfume.html

"....Not a perfume for the market, but a creation for pleasure and joy, Hedione 50 represents the endless Swiss quest for beauty and lightness, a form of youth and resurrection...."

".....Thanks to Acqua di Gio for Men, a miracle, I understood Hedione before I knew what this molecule is. The perfume has an impressive aura and the 90's were basically these two perfumes for men floating all over around. A perfume is a masterpiece when you can remember it after a decade without any "private" souvenir. Hedione contributed to this magic like Lyral did for feminine flowers and of course a salicylate which is beauty par excellence...."

Acqua di Gio pour Homme is supposed contain 25% hedione.