Code of Conduct
    treeman5823

Default I Have a Proposition

Aventus threads are clogging up the forum. Let's do one of two things: 1) create a website that pays homage to this pestilential twerp or 2.) STICK TO ONE AVENTUS THREAD. Seriously, I'm going to press charges.

Default Re: I Have a Proposition

You realize you just started another aventus thread, don't you?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    You realize you just started another aventus thread, don't you?
    Hiaeufhehfksdcer damnit! The disease is incurable.

Oooooooh...does anyone else smell pineapple? Does anyone else... Huh? Yes? YES. YEEEEES. YEEEEEEEEEEEESEESS!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Hello? Operation mindcrime.
    Last edited by treeman5823; 21st March 2013 at 03:20 AM.

Since we have a fresh new Aventus thread, allow me....so which batch is the best?

Basenotes Plus

Yes, it's annoying. It usually happens when noobs had their first experience with a Creed fragrance and think it's the shitz.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Yes, it's annoying. It usually happens when noobs had their first experience with a Creed fragrance and think it's the shitz.
    I think you meant shiz. Unless people start spontaneously pooping upon smelling Aventus.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Like a virgin...spritzed by aventus for the very first time!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Can..............not...............stop........... ......clicking.......Aventus.............threads.. ..........

I've read just a tiny portion of the immense ocean of Aventus' threads, and I am already bored to death.

Basenotes Plus

For me Aventus threads are something I can rely on in a crazy world. The batch numbers, the label controversies, the babbling in tongues, the chanting.......it's all strangely comforting.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    I think you meant shiz. Unless people start spontaneously pooping upon smelling Aventus.
    I prefer shiznit.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post

Oooooooh...does anyone else smell pineapple? Does anyone else... Huh?
    I smell royal pineapple if you must know. So yes I do.

The idea has been tossed around before. Nothing ever came of it.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The idea has been tossed around before. Nothing ever came of it.
    Let's pester papa Grant.

Seems like the majority of Aventus / Creed threads that have been started lately have been by people bashing. The haters seem to be more obsessed with it than the fans.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

So...when you say that Aventus threads are clogging up the forums are you saying you can't just skim quickly over them and open only the threads you want to read? Too much trouble? If so your Basenotes is different than my Basenotes. You see...I can do just that in a matter of seconds. Yeah. I can do that very quickly.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

It's the damn users.

Welcome to the Internet.

They're all thinking, surely no one else has asked THIS question about this magical potion.

I think a sticky is a good idea. A lot of noobs don't seem to know how to use the search function, sadly, which accounts for repetitive threads. Not to say that folks won't read them, but what if bored folks won't bother to reply on such threads and the poster decides to go bonkers and start insulting others with 'blunt' questions like one particularly weird and unpleasant incident yesterday? Hmmm...

Damn, another Creed/Aventus thread ... i'm out
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

If you did this for one popular fragrance, you have to do it for them all, thus this would not be logical.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Junkie

D-bags, the whole lot of em'.....

Aventus is a good fragrance but its so over rated and the batch variation drama on basenotes has reached plague like proportions .

Yeah, I wonder why people can't just search. Like the three different "what's your favorite By Kilian" threads in the last few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Maque View Post
    I think a sticky is a good idea. A lot of noobs don't seem to know how to use the search function, sadly, which accounts for repetitive threads.
    I'm sure we all appreciate the irony of bemoaning the fact that 'noobs' don't use the search function, when the plethora of threads like this clutter the search function, making the search significantly less efficient.

The latest fad in fragrance discussion is not Aventus, but Eau de Snark.
    Let me be clear, I'm not referring to this thread, but I'd wager there is more opportunity for constructive discourse in yet another Aventus thread than in any of the recent threads that seek to belittle fellow members using snide and wannabe-surreptitious approaches.

I'd sooner rather answer another identical question about Aventus than read another gibberish thread commenced out of some misguided sense of superiority. Remember, it was presumably the older members of these fora that started the hype surrounding Aventus

I also doubt there are too many of us that haven't started, or at least participated in a thread asking a question that has already been asked.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    So...when you say that Aventus threads are clogging up the forums are you saying you can't just skim quickly over them and open only the threads you want to read? Too much trouble? If so your Basenotes is different than my Basenotes. You see...I can do just that in a matter of seconds. Yeah. I can do that very quickly.
    I'm in total agreement. Any poster of any kind, noob or otherwise should be able to start any thread on any appropriate subject at any time no matter how many times it's been done before. Everyone has their own little twist or take on a theme. Let them do their thing and express themselves any way they want to. You're then free to comment or pass on it. There are scores of new threads here all the time. They have titles, some informative some not so. Nobody is forced to read any or all of these threads. And I'm sure you don't either. You just pass on the ones that don't interest you right? It's not difficult. If you dig the search function use it. Nothings clogged up on here though I sometimes think laxatives might help some of the posters.

Aventus Aventus Aventus, Aventus Aventus? Aventus Aventus Aventus Aventus Aventus, Aventus (Aventus Aventus) Aventus Aventus!!!
    Aventus, Aventus Aventus Aventus Aventus. AVENTUS! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    I'm in total agreement. Any poster of any kind, noob or otherwise should be able to start any thread on any appropriate subject at any time no matter how many times it's been done before. Everyone has their own little twist or take on a theme. Let them do their thing and express themselves any way they want to. You're then free to comment or pass on it.
    That's a really good point - just think how welcoming it is to a new member asking a question, to have a bunch of people from the BN community answer their question in a friendly manner.

It'll help get a lot more active members (and more points of view) than just saying 'use the search function - we've been over this before' and the first three threads the person finds are ones slagging off 'noobs' for not searching for Aventus.

Without wanting to sound too 'We Are The World', I think it's good to show people that they're unique and worthy of attention, regardless of how done to death their question is. If you're sick of answering an Aventus/LIDGE/DHI question, then don't, but there's no need to alienate a person potentially just beginning their fragrance experience.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Aventus Aventus Aventus, Aventus Aventus? Aventus Aventus Aventus Aventus Aventus, Aventus (Aventus Aventus) Aventus Aventus!!!
    Aventus, Aventus Aventus Aventus Aventus. AVENTUS! LOL
    Remain calm. Breath deeply. Walk slowly toward the sink.

Remain calm. Breath deeply. Walk slowly toward the sink.
    Thanks. Feeling better now.
    1 spray of Aventus to each eye cleared things right up.

Come to think of it, there was a time when all the pure malt threads were quarantined away in their own section.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post

Without wanting to sound too 'We Are The World', I think it's good to show people that they're unique and worthy of attention, regardless of how done to death their question is. If you're sick of answering an Aventus/LIDGE/DHI question, then don't, but there's no need to alienate a person potentially just beginning their fragrance experience.
    Exactly, if there's a group of posters however large or small who want to talk about the joys of LIDGE 24 hours a day it's no skin off my nose. More power to them.

At least warn us, start all your Aventus homage threads with YAAT (Yet Another Aventus Thread)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    At least warn us, start all your Aventus homage threads with YAAT (Yet Another Aventus Thread)
    LOL, I think I've seen some that actually use that title.

I think you are all missing the point! .... and that is that there is little discernable difference between pre and post reformulation DHI! Sheeeesh...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I think you are all missing the point! .... and that is that there is little discernable difference between pre and post reformulation DHI! Sheeeesh...
    You may be right.

I'm in total agreement. Any poster of any kind, noob or otherwise should be able to start any thread on any appropriate subject at any time no matter how many times it's been done before. Everyone has their own little twist or take on a theme. Let them do their thing and express themselves any way they want to. You're then free to comment or pass on it. There are scores of new threads here all the time. They have titles, some informative some not so. Nobody is forced to read any or all of these threads. And I'm sure you don't either. You just pass on the ones that don't interest you right? It's not difficult. If you dig the search function use it. Nothings clogged up on here though I sometimes think laxatives might help some of the posters.
    Well, the reverse is true too. We are indeed all free to comment what we want. Including snide, surreptitious, snarky, or not, admonishments to newcomers to do a basic search. By the way, asking newcomers to do a basic search is constructive.

Often, the new repetitive thread is not even really interesting. It's another basic thread of 'Which Aventus batch is better?' or 'Which to get, DHI or LIDGE?', where the newbie is not even giving much input for the more experienced BNoters to work with. It seems as if many people treat Basenotes as a sort of free answer service, and without even bothering to do just a little research. Such folks post once or twice, and are never heard of again.
    Last edited by Maque; 21st March 2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: minor editing for better clarity

Aventus is good but not so much as to go nuts over it, specially for the price it's selling for.

This is from the prospective of a noob. There should be more rage about Guerlain heritage or DHI or LIDGE

I actually think Aventus has become a doggone CELEBRITY in our realm of perfumery. If it had a beating heart, we minions would be clamoring for questions pertaining to its greatness and why its batches are driving us to the point of perfumed insanity! Did I forget autographs? Aventus is a doggone inanimate CELEBRITY!! ROTFLMAO !!!!
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Dior Homme Sport, DHI, Allure Edition Blanche, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: L'homme

Every basenotes thread I open on my phone turns into an Aventus thread...

sent from a mobile device - please excuse any swelling mistakes

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Maque View Post

Often, the new repetitive thread is not even really interesting. It's another basic thread of 'Which Aventus batch is better?' or 'Which to get, DHI or LIDGE?', where the newbie is not even giving much input for the more experienced BNoters to work with. It seems as if many people treat Basenotes as a sort of free answer service, and without even bothering to do just a little research. Such folks post once or twice, and are never heard of again.
    So what if it's not interesting? The majority of threads are not interesting to any of us. Pass it by. Those threads are for those that want to participate in them.

So what if it's not interesting? The majority of threads are not interesting to any of us. Pass it by. Those threads are for those that want to participate in them.
    So it is. I can pass these threads by, and I do. But this particular response was to timdoeswell's exhortation for more experienced BNoters make things more welcoming for newbies. But if these threads are repetitive and boring, why would such experienced members contribute?

And if you had read my original response, I agree with the OP's suggestion of making a sticky for Aventus. This is to help newbies zero in on their need to have their repetitive questions on Aventus batches answer; whether that will actually work is anyone's guess. What is obvious is that we do keep seeing repetitive threads on the same old tired topics (i.e. Aventus batches) pop up over and over again; it does seem that the ones who start such threads are new, and did not bother to do a search.

Let's see: Gabbyvirk (joined 10 Jan 2013, 10 posts to his name) starts his new thread with:
    "sorry guys for another same thread... but i just need little help with aventus batch..."

Why?!

Basenotes Junkie

Isn't this what the "Just Starting Out" section is for? Newbs to start threads, (repetative or not) without fear of being belittled or made to feel dumb for not using the search function. I didn't realize there even was a search function right away.

I were the Mod on this forum, I would start Banning all Aventus thread starters. Oh wait, any Creed thread starters for the matter.

Basenotes Plus

Quarantine?

If there was a 'sticky', it would just get stuck imo.
    Last edited by lpp; 21st March 2013 at 08:57 PM.

Actually, it seems to me there are less Aventus threads now then there were when I started on BN a few months ago.

And don't ever proposition me again!
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    I were the Mod on this forum, I would start Banning all Aventus thread starters. Oh wait, any Creed thread starters for the matter.
    Agree ∞ times!

Basenotes Member

When I smell Aventus, I first and foremost smell Juniper (as in Gin, the alcoholic beverage), not pineapple. Also a bit of black currant (cassis) and apple. The pineapple note must be very subtle in my batch.

Quote Originally Posted by silkfire View Post
    When I smell Aventus, I first and foremost smell Juniper (as in Gin, the alcoholic beverage), not pineapple. Also a bit of black currant (cassis) and apple. The pineapple note must be very subtle in my batch.
    Royalty tends to go for understatement. That one can't sniff the royal pineapple doesn't mean that the royal pineapple isn't there, royally so.

No worries. The House of Creed thanks you for your royal purchase.

It's a shame basenotes doesn't have features that other forums have. Some have a feature where, when you try to post a new thread, you're first shown a list of similar threads to make sure the topic hasn't already been beaten to death. That would be pretty helpful here.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I tend not to click on them, and only come into threads like this or threads that appear to be parodies to be facetious.

To be honest, this happens in all forums. Hype builds, sometimes unintentionally, and then attains critical mass and becomes self sustaining. There will always be people who don't know/care about internet etiquette so they won't search, prefer to start their own thread because they think it will get more attention/personalized advice or start a new thread because it deals with a slightly different aspect to their other thread (e.g. their 1st thread was where to get the best deal on Aventus/LIDGE/DHI or whatever the flavour of the day is, while their 2nd thread is about whether they got a good batch, got a good deal or got a genuine product, which is clearly another topic entirely).

Anywa, my SOTD is Aventus (and I think it was LIDGE yesterday).