Code of Conduct

Default Mid Price Candles

If Cire Trudon and Diptique are at the high end of the candle spectrum (cost + quality), what is a nice sensible alternative for "everyday".
    I'm not talking about Yankee Candle butter cinnamon cream or whatever...
    Something that, perhaps, foregoes exorbitant packaging costs for quality. Kobo? Any others?

Default Re: Mid Price Candles

Get the L'Artisan Parfumeur newsletter and be aware when they have candles on sale. Fine and intense scent after short time of burning.

There are several shopping portals offering such candles discounted from 30 to 70%. So the candles were between 8 and 23 Euro. This is what I tried:

Parks candles; got over it somehow. After a while I felt they are all smelling the same. I found the „SPA” candles to be the least pleasant ones. The boxes are nice, perfect for containing my decants.

Klinta is not good. Poor results and the first time I got headaches from scented candles.

Voluspa is worth a try. The candles I had so far were nice.

Illume. Have the gardenia candle which is a very intense and juicy scent and the balsam/cedar candle, maybe a bit heavy.

Esteban. Scent wise recommended, only the wax is not burning down nicely.

I have to admit that I would hardly buy them at their regular prices. But I think when I finished my bargain candle stock I will stick to L'Artisan, Diptyque & Co, because they are simply more satisfying to me.

Some of the Slatkin, Voluspa and Henri Bendel candles are pretty good.

I was monitoring this thread, but I see there aren't too many answers, perhaps because, as I believe and others confirmed, one really has to go upmarket to find satisfying products.
    I remember buying Parfums de Nicolai's candles that were excellent and, although not cheap, not as expensive as Diptyque or the like. But I don't think they're sold in the US.

cacio

haha, thanks for the grounding, cacio. you may be right.
    however, from personal experience, I know a lot of these candles are surely putting $5 - $15 per unit into packaging. What I'm really wondering is if (even if this is upmarket) there is truly a brand that values quality of the scent and burn over everything else. Hell, they could sell the thing in a Campbells soup can, for all I care.

Quote Originally Posted by patternlanguage View Post
    Hell, they could sell the thing in a Campbells soup can, for all I care.
    Le labo's packagin is not much dissimilar from a campbell's soup can without a label ... (actually, more like a paint can)

Since we're being facetious, does anybody remember the logo of the Entrecuisse candle by ELdO? I am a little disappointed at the current cleaning up of le labo's imagery. Perhaps they want to open a store in Saudi Arabia.

cacio

Cacio, I never did see Entrecuisse, but I did have a candle by ELDO called Botte de Centurion, (Centurions Boots). Use your imagination folks! It was a fabulous fragrance, REALLY raw leathery, not a great burn though and there was a lot of wax left over when the candle was finished. I do wish that they would release it as a fragrance though.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post

Esteban. Scent wise recommended, only the wax is not burning down nicely.

.......I will stick to L'Artisan, Diptyque & Co, because they are simply more satisfying to me.
    Agree with Esteban (and they don't even burn worse than higher end ones, IMO!) and agree with the conclusion
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Some of the Slatkin, Voluspa and Henri Bendel candles are pretty good.
    The Henri Bendel candles are especially nice and sometimes they have 30% off sales depending on the total amount you spend.

Just discovered:
    Geodesis candles- French candles, mid price (20 euros), nice, reliable fragrances-though nothing stunning-well burning and with a good projection. I have recently bought Mimosa- soft, sweet, powdery, extremely pleasant.

www.geodesis.fr
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen