Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain - your picks?

Oh the tough decisions we have to make in life...
    Thanks in advance for any feedback. Looking to buy around 4 (might stretch to 5 or 6 if there are too many +ve feedback on any that is not in bold based your feedback, of course, I will be sampling / testing b4 buying) from the below listed 8 wonderful Guerlain's. The one's already decided as an almost sure buy are in bold. Kindly also add longevity if known from experience, as I have very dry skin, which is a longevity killer. Some are obviously marketed as feminine, but BN will agree that these can be easily worn by men as well. If you do find any from the below as particularly feminine, please add that as well on your comments. I have until Saturday Mar 23 early morning to decide. Kindly provide your picks / thoughts...

Vetiver pour Elle (bee bottle) EDT

L’ame D’un Heros (bee bottle) EDT

Philtre D’Amour (bee bottle) EDP

Iris Ganache EDP

Muguet EDT

Jardin de Bagatelle (old packaging) EDP

Nahema (old packaging) EDP

Shalimar Extract (old packing and juice)
    Last edited by badarun; 21st March 2013 at 02:50 PM.

Default Re: Guerlain - your picks?

I also have very dry skin. I've found Vetiver pour elle's longevity ok, but not on par with other (long lasting) vetivers like Sycomore or Vetiver Extraordinaire. I keep going back and forth on this - sometimes I love it, sometimes it feels a touch too bare and synth, and with just a touch of marine showing through (I strongly dislike marine).

I understand that the superexpensive Muguet appears only once a year, and every year is reformulated, so I guess it depends on the year. I've never had the opportunity to smell any of them. Turin's statement that it is not possible to do a good muguet anymore has so far been confirmed by my experience too, so I'm a little skeptical towards supposed muguets. But, as said, I've never tried the Guerlains.

I don't care much for Jardin de Bagatelles. As for femininity, the gorgeously slutty Nahema might feel feminine to non-perfume lovers. But who cares?

cacio

The only one I would recommend: L’ame D’un Heros (bee bottle) EDT

Get the first 4 and Shalimar.

I have several bottles of Vetiver Pour Elle and Philtre d'Amour (both discontinued) and it's unlikely we will see anything of their quality again.

L'Ames d'un Heros is still available and the only one marketed as a 'masculine' but with this sort of stuff if the too feminine thing is a problem then I really don't know what to say . . .

Iris Ganache was recently discontinued - nearly bought it but decided it was neither here nor there, so maybe pass and get the Muguet.

Forget Jardins de Bagatelle. Muguet is wonderful, helps to know which year. Nahema could well be fine, it's an interesting 'abstract' rose/ floral.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I just finished reviewing quite a few Guerlains. The Vetiver Pour Elle is a nice version of Vetiver, but is light on the vetiver compared to masculine versions. However, this is a good choice.
    I am not familiar with L'ame D'un Heros,so, I can't give you any advice on this one.
    I reviewed Philtre d'Amour and loved this one, I would recommend this one.
    The vintage Shalimar is a must have. It is very different on a man; it's sensual and alluring.
    If it was me that was going to add another, it would have to be the Nahema EDP. An unusual rose fragrance that can be worn by both men or women. Quite unusual and fantastic.
    I would also consider Sous Le Vent. It only comes as a EDT, but reapplying is worth while. It opens cirrusy and then turns ever so slightly sweet from lavander and carnation as it develops and remains quite linear from the dry down. It has pretty good longevity. Very lovely unisex!
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Out of these, Shlaimar Extract

Possible further suggestions: Mouchior de Monsieur, Heritage, Habit Rouge (also as EDP), Most Guerlain Homme veriations (including its flankers in EDP strength) - the longevity of these fragrances is above average to good to even beyond and all this combined with a diversified array of uncommonly creative notes, all this within the proper concentrations.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post

Vetiver pour Elle (bee bottle) EDT

Philtre D’Amour (bee bottle) EDP

Shalimar Extract (old packing and juice)
    ^^^ these would be my picks. I'd replace L’ame D’un Heros with Coriolan which is basically the same fragrance sold at less than half the price. Longevity is good with all of them (at least in my experience). Feminine or masculine? I usually don't bother....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The only one I would recommend: L’ame D’un Heros (bee bottle) EDT
    I agree--great scent. The others are beautiful but extremely feminine fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Out of these, Shlaimar Extract

Possible further suggestions: Mouchior de Monsieur, Heritage, Habit Rouge (also as EDP), Most Guerlain Homme veriations (including its flankers in EDP strength) - the longevity of these fragrances is above average to good to even beyond and all this combined with a diversified array of uncommonly creative notes, all this within the proper concentrations.
    I do own all of this...
    Last edited by badarun; 21st March 2013 at 11:24 PM.

I'm only familiar with Tonka Imperiale and Spiritueuse Double Vanille. For whatever it's worth for me to say it, I really like them both.

Guerlainista

Have you tried L'Heure de Nuit? If not, I suggest you try it. It's as unisex as most on your list and a very nice modern remake of the original.

Also, if you like leathers, Arsene Lupin is very nice.

You have Derby already?

Iris Ganache is a good bet if you can still get it. If you change your mind, you can probably flip it easily since its D/Ced.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Have you tried L'Heure de Nuit? If not, I suggest you try it. It's as unisex as most on your list and a very nice modern remake of the original.

Also, if you like leathers, Arsene Lupin is very nice.

You have Derby already?

Iris Ganache is a good bet if you can still get it. If you change your mind, you can probably flip it easily since its D/Ced.
    Own both Lupin & Derby, like Derby more...

Coriolan

I think the current version of Guerlain Vetiver is quite amazing, and is my favorite, for sure.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Definitely see if you can track down Coriolan if you're interested in L'Ame d'un Heros. I bought my bottle from The Perfume House in Portland, OR, for a great price -- maybe they still have some. But surely Coriolan can still be found. Great fragrance.

Unless Guerlain comes out with more EDP's I am pretty much done with them. I love everything that they do. However they have somehow mastered to produce wonderful classic smelling scents that fade away like the wind.

All my favs are too light and the parfum versions are way too expensive for me.

Just IMO but I think you can do better with the $100 you spend on a Guerlain EDT. Again just IMO but I've gotten rid of enough Guerlains these past few years. All heartbreakers since I loved the fragrance but the quality just didn't live up to the hype.