Code of Conduct

Default Avignon... Wow, just wow...

I know this is kind of a pointless post to make but hey... I received my bottle of Comme des Garcons Avignon today and all I can say is wow, just wow! When I first sampled it I was severely dissapointed with it, I thought it was way too sharp, stale and cold. It was only after a couple of more wearings that it slowly started to intrigue me. And last week I decided I liked it enough to pull the trigger and purchase it, still being afraid I might regret it later.

So, today I received it and immediately sprayed it on and wow, I LOVE it! Strange thing is that it almost seems like there's batch differences with Avignon, as the scent from the bottle is less sharp, stale and cold than the scent from my sample. It's more warm and spicy and exactly what, in my opinion, was needed for this fragrance. I'm very happy with it now and really glad I made the purchase. Strange though, that the difference between the sample and full bottle is so big...

Default Re: Avignon... Wow, just wow...

Nice scent.

Do you think the differences in nuance might be due to application? Splash versus spray, I mean. Unless your sample happened to have a sprayer.

I don't know. All I know is, your post inspired me to spray a little on my wrist, despite the rest of me smelling like jasmine overload, aka SL A la Nuit.

Basenotes Junkie

I love the stuff!!

I love my Avignon. I don't wear it very often, but I think it is gorgeous.

I have the same opinion of the fragrance. Testing Avignon several times I found it quite nauseating. After trying CDG 2 Man I figured I'd stem out and try this as I liked Viktor and Rolf Antidote and figured this might be a different spin on incense considering it's CDG. Unfortunately, it was a different spin...not one that fit my tastes. If you can get your hands on Antidote...try it! It was discontinued some time last year.

Perhaps you have a sample of Zagorsk which is in fact "too sharp, stale and cold"... but that's part of its allure.

I love it. Bought a full bottle recently. I'd love to get more of the incense line.

Where did you order if you dont mind me asking.

It is a nice scent along with Kyoto, I wish they both came in 100 ml bottles !
    Last edited by vinramani09; 22nd March 2013 at 02:07 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i got zagorsk off ebay for about 77 bucks total. 1.7 oz though. where are the 100 ml bottles of this stuff???

i have the whole set of the incense series, Avignon and Jaisalmer are my fav

if you enjoy Avignon, i would highly recommend you try Armani Prive - Bois d'Encens
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Quote Originally Posted by HDDP View Post
    Avignon and Jaisalmer are my fav

if you enjoy Avignon, i would highly recommend you try Armani Prive - Bois d'Encens
    I like Jaisalmer and Ouarzazate and recommend Montale's Full Incense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    i got zagorsk off ebay for about 77 bucks total. 1.7 oz though. where are the 100 ml bottles of this stuff???
    They only come in 50 ml bottles sadly.

Love Avignon. Probably my favorite Incense fragrance I own. Haunting, gothic, deep. Great stuff for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

+1. However, I find Avignon is a little longer lasting than the Armani. Also, you may want to try Montale Full Incense. It has some similarities with that also.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    +1. However, I find Avignon is a little longer lasting than the Armani. Also, you may want to try Montale Full Incense. It has some similarities with that also.
    I have full incense and like it, it has great longevity but i find it's too linear
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Nice scent from an outstanding series. I prefer Zagorsk just a little bit more.

I ordered once some samples of the full series and found Avignon the less interesting of the 5. I didn't find it repulsive or annoying in any way, just not as amazing as Jaisalmer and Ouarzazate that hooked me instantly.
    But I kept trying and now I find it also very appealing, so much that I plan to order it to complete my CDG Incense collection (need Kyoto too). For me, they're all full bottle worthy.
    Yes, Avignon (and Zagorsk) is indeed a "stale and cold" fragrance, even kinda musty I would add, but that's exactly why I like it, because I like "old things" and find it very evocative in this way.

I agree that I had some slightly different experiences from samples (dabbing) and from bottles, but like 'Nefret' said, I guess it's due to different application. For example, Jaisalmer seems more "fresh" when applied from bottle...
    Top 3 : Jaisalmer | Bulgari Black | Body Kouros

Quote Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
    Do you think the differences in nuance might be due to application? Splash versus spray, I mean. Unless your sample happened to have a sprayer.

I don't know. All I know is, your post inspired me to spray a little on my wrist, despite the rest of me smelling like jasmine overload, aka SL A la Nuit.
    I used a spray sample, from a very reliable source, so that can't be the reason. Still not sure why but the difference is definitely there. Oh, and glad to be an inspiration...

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I have the same opinion of the fragrance. Testing Avignon several times I found it quite nauseating. After trying CDG 2 Man I figured I'd stem out and try this as I liked Viktor and Rolf Antidote and figured this might be a different spin on incense considering it's CDG. Unfortunately, it was a different spin...not one that fit my tastes. If you can get your hands on Antidote...try it! It was discontinued some time last year.
    Thanks for your suggestion. I have been wanting to try Antidote for a while, sounds really interesting but I haven't been able to sample it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by roman_nik View Post
    Perhaps you have a sample of Zagorsk which is in fact "too sharp, stale and cold"... but that's part of its allure.
    No, I have samples of the whole CDG incense line, including Zagorsk, and I'm definitely talking about Avignon. Zagorsk is also nice though...

Quote Originally Posted by Xqizit View Post
    Where did you order if you dont mind me asking.
    I ordered it here.

i have the whole set of the incense series, Avignon and Jaisalmer are my fav

Thanks for the recommendation. In fact I recently purchased a decant of Bois d'Encens and I had really high hopes after reading a lot of positive comments on it but I was kinda disappointed. It's definitely not what I expected it to be. Way too sharp (literally hurt my nose), neat and 'clean' and not smokey enough in my opinion. But I will sample it some more, maybe my opinion will change...

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    I like Jaisalmer and Ouarzazate and recommend Montale's Full Incense.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I have full incense and like it, it has great longevity but i find it's too linear
    I really like Full Incense too, in fact I liked it much better than Avignon at first. But the full bottle of Avignon I have smells much closer to Full Incense than the sample I have so I'm glad with that. In fact now I like Avignon even better than Full Incense, although Full Incense has much better longevity and sillage....

I'm wearing this today (after a blind buy of the bottle) - and it's incredible. High Mass indeed.

I'd say this is much better than Zagorsk (which is still very nice.) I've yet to try the rest of the line - that's on the docket next (though they are only samples.)

This is the best in my humble opinion of the series although Kyoto is very good and gives the woodsy aspect of incense. Avignon is the closest to my Choir Boy roots I have found. A absolute gem. I think Montale Full Incense is a winner too and I enjoy wearing it but Avignon is King.