Code of Conduct

Question What questions to ask a friend to create a wedding perfume for her as wedding gift

I've been creating DIY perfumes as a hobby. This year a good friend of mine will be getting married and I want to create a wedding perfume for her wedding as a special gift. Aside from asking her what scent she likes, do any of you have any suggestions on what questions I should ask her in order to make a personalized perfume for her? I'm a bit stuck as it's not exactly for her...(I've made perfumes for friends before), but a perfume to celebrate her and her fiancee getting married.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Default Re: What questions to ask a friend to create a wedding perfume for her as wedding gift

Very difficult if we don't know anything about the couple. If they go on honeymoon, that may be an inspiration.

Default Re: What questions to ask a friend to create a wedding perfume for her as wedding gift

When I had a custom scent made for me, part of the process involved the perfumer providing me with a very large list of notes and asking me to rank them. You might be wise to create such a list yourself, including the notes you have experience using and omitting those you didn't have, or haven't used much before.

Brides are sometimes under much stress when planning their wedding. Choosing the scent she wants to wear on that day would be best left to her alone IMHO. Having your scent as a gift, without stating it is for her to wear that day, might help her avoid a little more stress. If she has another scent she'd prefer to wear, for any of a number of reasons, it would putting her on the spot to say your gift was created to be worn on her wedding day.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 21st March 2013 at 06:31 PM.

Hi SoCal, thanks for the input. My goodness I never even thought of asking her to wear it on her wedding day. It's a gift to commemorate their special day and their love. I thought I can decorate the bottle with a specially designed label, and if she wants I can make small bottles for her to give to the bridesmaids as gifts. I just wonder what approach you all may take if you we're to create a wedding perfume. What are some good questions to ask her? Should I focus on the scent that she likes? The flowers in her bouquet? The location of the wedding or where he proposed? To get inspirations for the perfume creation.

- - - Updated - - -

SoCal, one question, in retrospect, are there any questions you wish the perfumer had asked you when creating your bespoke perfume?

Quote Originally Posted by shanghai View Post
    Hi SoCal, thanks for the input. My goodness I never even thought of asking her to wear it on her wedding day. It's a gift to commemorate their special day and their love. I thought I can decorate the bottle with a specially designed label, and if she wants I can make small bottles for her to give to the bridesmaids as gifts. I just wonder what approach you all may take if you we're to create a wedding perfume. What are some good questions to ask her? Should I focus on the scent that she likes? The flowers in her bouquet? The location of the wedding or where he proposed? To get inspirations for the perfume creation.

- - - Updated - - -

SoCal, one question, in retrospect, are there any questions you wish the perfumer had asked you when creating your bespoke perfume?
    Firstly what a wonderful thoughtful idea as a special gift!

I'd ask her to tell you her top 3 favourite perfumes: What she likes to wear herself, what she likes on her man + anything else which has meaning for her as number 3.
    Use the notes on those to get a sense of her preference. No point creating something which she's not going to like.
    The scents in her bouquet are a good idea if there are scented blooms in it.
    Check the notes in the perfumes related to her answers and find the common top, mid and base and if her bouquet blooms are not there add them in the heart.
    Keep it as simple as possible within those parameters then be sure to record and write the opening, heart and base within the story so she knows what she is smelling and why.
    Every fragrance should be a story. This will be theirs.
    Good luck and would really love to see what you come up with and why so please tell us!

PickledTink, - Hilarious nom de plume, BTW, she has good suggestions.
    As a Perfumer, I'd follow up with an hour of sniffing, these notes and others, to further refine the process.
    And I'd also ask HER what She thinks she wants...

For Non-perfumies, like my sons, or brother's wife and daughter, etc. I ask for a list of what they want it to smell like, which doesn't necessarily mean exact items, or notes, (while it certainly can...), but also feelings and memories, or even fantasies..

Based on that information, I have them sniff different elements and see what interests their nose, from things that I think might meet those qualifications Ideas, or Fantasies. Or is something kind of close. And I gauge their reactions to these things.

Even if they actually don't like something directly, I may still use it at a lower level anyway to fill out the background, (Because I had already decided it would fit some part of the profile).

This is working in an associative manner. And since I think associatively as a matter of course, I use this sniffing time for ferreting out elements to use or discard, with the customer's own associative thinking and experiences.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon