Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: The Forum Has Changed in the last 5 years

I'm new here and I'd say that, by internet message board standards, it's a pretty erudite group.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    This Forum is much better now.
    Five years ago there was a strong group of supposedly experienced Basenoters, who took it upon themselves to continually push for men to wear women's scent because the women's scents were superior, and virtually all but a few masculine scents were rubbish - while at the same time arguing the exact opposite proposition that scents had no gender (so how come most of the "mens" scents were rubbish?).

Time and again, I'd get ultra annoyed - sure wear anything you like, but stop casting yourself as superior because you wear women's scents, and stop continually bashing the masculine scents and inferring that those who liked masculine scents had less refined noses. This did lead to quite a few heated exchanges at the time.

Yes, there is less emphasis on classic scents here now, but it's also less elitist/snobbish than it was back then for a while. Also, as I've noticed with my nephews, they really don't like a lot of those classic scents very much at all.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Soooooooooooooooo true Renato hahaha, excellent observation, and one of the reasons I did not post as much early on. Few years back, I commented that Womanity was too feminine and this member went all ballistic for no reason, Another member who use to go on condescending rants if they did not know their Cambodian from Indian Oud and the different grades, as if it was a crime lol. So pathetic.
    Last edited by Vinrambo09; 22nd March 2013 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Basenotes itself is largely responsible for the attrition of veteran members and the loss of internet presence to competing sites.

Overzealous moderators (apparently with Grant's support) have over the years banned a number of the most valuable posters, usually for petty or personal reasons (which never should've been allowed).

Couple that with Grant's ongoing inability to keep the site up and functioning normally (not to mention lack of improvements to the site) and you had some members just give up in frustration and go elsewhere.

in addition to these self inflicted wounds, some veteran members have their own blogs or write for other, more welcoming or progressive websites, which may take precedence over contributing to Basenotes.

Basenotes has, unfortunately, a lack of serious commitment and vision from its owner. It's a shame, really, as it once was the premiere site for fragrances on the internet and could've been so much more than it is now. I believe that Grant should've sought help or sold the website years ago, but he has consistently shown that he wants to have complete control over the site even though it is far too large for him to manage and he has other, more important concerns that do not allow him the time that Basenotes needs.

All this probably sounds harsher than intended, but it is my perception of the site since I joined in 2007. The fact that we all want more from Basenotes shows how important that we think it is and how monumental Grant's initial work was. It's just too bad that the site could've been in such better shape with a less draconian and more flexible philosophy.
    Well Said!!!

I was surprised when Sorcery of Scent got banned, but banned for what?
    He was such a great contributor, and i was surprised to see him got banned.

some of the moderators/admin on BN are some of the worst that i've ever encounter
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Five years ago there was a strong group of supposedly experienced Basenoters, who took it upon themselves to continually push for men to wear women's scent because the women's scents were superior, and virtually all but a few masculine scents were rubbish - while at the same time arguing the exact opposite proposition that scents had no gender (so how come most of the "mens" scents were rubbish?).

Time and again, I'd get ultra annoyed - sure wear anything you like, but stop casting yourself as superior because you wear women's scents, and stop continually bashing the masculine scents and inferring that those who liked masculine scents had less refined noses. This did lead to quite a few heated exchanges at the time.

Yes, there is less emphasis on classic scents here now, but it's also less elitist/snobbish than it was back then for a while. Also, as I've noticed with my nephews, they really don't like a lot of those classic scents very much at all.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I don't remember it being as pronounced as your post implies, but this subject comes up on Fragrantica as well. Also, it's easy to ignore these suggestions if you can't bear the thought of wearing a "woman's" scent, just as I don't read most posts (here or anywhere else for that matter). I don't agree with those who claim that "women's" scents are superior, so I'm not suggesting that sentiment is unreasonable. Recently, I wore Azuree and thought it was great, however, so on the other hand I'm glad there was encouragement to at least sample some "women's" scents here. In general, though, I'd say most "women's" scents lack enough structure or the structure involves something I don't like, such as a harsh "white floral" accord. In any case, diversity of opinions is what I seek in the forum format. Otherwise, it can largely become an "echo chamber," which is not something that interests me.

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    especially missed are off-scenter and scentemental.
    Yes and yes.
    I especially miss scentemental. What a true gentlemen.
    He had such a breadth of knowledge. I thought of him as the "Basenotes Professor".
    I wonder if he ever wrote his book on fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by HDDP View Post
    Well Said!!!

I was surprised when Sorcery of Scent got banned, but banned for what?
    He was such a great contributor, and i was surprised to see him got banned.
    SAY WHAT!
    When did this happen? Not sure how I missed that.

Come to think of it, I did wonder why he wasn't posting. I just didn't put two and two together.
    What BS!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post

SAY WHAT!
    When did this happen? Not sure how I missed that.

Come to think of it, I did wonder why he wasn't posting. I just didn't put two and two together.
    What BS!
    he got banned around in 2012

i was surprised when i saw he got banned

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/278...ease-(Citrine)

it said banned on his status when you look through the attached link

not sure of the reason he got banned, but things could have been work out

by banning a member is just abusing the admin power, which is pretty fked up
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Basenotes Junkie

It is what it is. Nothing more.

Look for this thread to be closed very soon.

Everyone and their little brother is on the internet now. That is the only reason it has changed. From what ive seen Basenotes is actually miles above most other forums in terms of knowledge and maturity.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of people have moved on to facebook groups and blogs because you can actually speak freely there.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    especially missed are off-scenter and scentemental. does anybody know if they currently post anywhere?
    Scentemental was a giant, with a very powerful nose. I constantly search for his posts and for his reviews.

I've been lurking this forums for years, and as the time goes on all I'm seeing is people turning into complete fragrance snobs. Fragrances that in matter of fact aren't offensive to the nose at all and people say they're "harsh" "disgusting" "made them puke" and it's simply not true. It's becoming a complete joke.

I just remembered (slaps self in the head) who off-scenter was. He was the one with all the wonderful, very well written reviews.
    I used to love reading them. How I wish they were still around.

Btw, does anyone remember his screen name before off-scenter? Was it Vibert?
    Last edited by ajmc; 22nd March 2013 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Misspelling
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    ...I don´t remember finding such a cult following for a fragrance as we now find for Aventus. Aventus is a god-like fragrance here.
    You obviously weren't visiting Basenotes when Pure Malt was released. The moderators had to dedicate a whole forum to just that one fragrance.

It was Vibert I think. I agree that the forum has changed. Though I've not been around since the beginning like many other members, I am part of the older/classical fragrance group. I don't think classical frags are inherently better than any new ones, but a lot of them come from a time when (of course marketing was important--why make a product if you can't make any money?) tastes changed more slowly and the whole philosophy of fragrance was much different. I am sad to see the members whose posts first got me started here go.

I just remembered (slaps self in the head) who off-scenter was. He was the one with all the wonderful, very well written reviews.

Btw, does anyone remember his screen name before off-scenter? Was it Vilbert?

Quote Originally Posted by HDDP View Post
    he got banned around in 2012

i was surprised when i saw he got banned

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/278...ease-(Citrine)

it said banned on his status when you look through the attached link

not sure of the reason he got banned, but things could have been work out

by banning a member is just abusing the admin power, which is pretty fked up
    In all seriousness, what is it in that post that led to a ban? Why do people get banned here? I've been totally naive and oblivious - had no idea it was going on! Why?

I've been a BN member for several years and a frequent visitor for quite a while before joining and it always amazes me when members start posting comments about what a "terrible job" Grant and other BN administrators are doing with the site. If you hate the site so much why do you keep coming back? I'm sure keeping up the BN website isn't the only thing Grant does with his time. I don't personally know him and don't know much about him, but I'm sure he has a regular 9-5 job and maintains this website in his spare time. I'm just glad to have access to a website like Basenotes - and no, I'm not trying to kiss Grant's butt. I'm being 100% honest.

It drives me nuts when people start bashing the administrators here, and 99% of the time those that are complaining are not monetary contributors, so access to this site is free to them. Yeah, I know, you're going to comment about how I don't contribute money either - well, I'm not the one complaining about the website. I really enjoy spending time on Basenotes and have learned a lot from the members here. I've also had several opportunities to to trades, splits, purchases, etc. here and I appreciate the site for that.

It is against the rules to discuss or challenge any particular moderation decision. In order to keep the conversation constructive and not get any more people banned, it is probably best to stick to the topic of moderation in general (allowed, as far as I understand) than dig up these individual cases. And, in fact, if you feel strongly that you need to discuss a specific decision, it would probably be worthwhile to first make a case against the not-discussing rule (again, as far I understand, this would be allowed) before just proceeding to break the rules.

Basenotes Plus

I found your comments very interesting. I haven't been around here anywhere near five years but I remember being more than a little intimidated when I first encountered posters arguing with an almost religious zealotry that the whole idea of masculine and feminine fragrances is antiquated, contrived and probably oppressive. I saw more than one poster who dared to defend the idea of masculine/feminine fragrances attacked and browbeaten as not being enlightened. Coward that I am I decided this was a fight I had no intention of joining. But I did become enlightened. I saw the kind of stuff that can go on here, "stuff" being a very gentle euphemism for what it is.

Things change.

ALso, as Basenotes grows its net presence increases making it the first place people come across when researching a scent.
    TBH, although I may have lurked for a couple of years, I have no idea how different it is compared to 5 years ago. Thanks for all of the considered posts in this thread. It's given me an interesting perspective. I try to be positive and think that today's newbs (me included) are going to be the seasoned connoisseurs of tomorrow.

Basenotes Plus

Btw, does anyone remember his screen name before off-scenter? Was it Vibert?
    It was definitely Vibert (remember the black dog avatar ?) - I always loved his reviews too.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 22nd March 2013 at 06:20 AM.

I have been on here for 10 years.

A lot of threads these days seem pointless, 'What scent should I wear?' 'help me choose between these 2 scents' that's 2 common ones always appearing. I wish people would think for themselves. As for the fanboys, as the OP said, they were around then, but didn't ram Creed down your throat all the time.

We had more 'characters` years ago.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

This entire thread reminds me of the stereotypical old man who usually starts off saying, "Back in my day..." And usually ends with "Things just aren't as good as they used to be."

Ironically enough, it's usually the opposite is true. I've been around for quite a while and gradually become more active because it seemed to become less elitist, more open minded and friendlier. I find the higher age gap far more interesting and allows for different view points. Fragrances are subjective and you know what they say about opinions!

In the end, it's a fragrance forum and things really shouldn't be taken too seriously. Be grateful we have such a great, big and active community to discuss, split, sell, buy and swap fragrances.
    Last edited by MrFragranceReview; 22nd March 2013 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlesslySurprised View Post
    Can you offer some examples?
    No. It would merely continue them. My post was meant as a positive contrasting example, to talk about the past as the past then encourage the new.

There are a million positive things going on in this forum. Not least the helpful nature of many individuals in the DIY forum. David R and Chris B to name two who give hours and hours of their own time to beginners.

I'm not sure exactly what "time tested" fragrances you're referring to, but everyone likes different things. If theres something you'd like to talk about in particular, start a thread. I'm sure others will join in the discussion.

Other than that, as far as members go, people come and go. I've been wearing frags since i had hair on my upper lip. I didn't need basenotes to discover i love to smell good. I didn't need it to discover Aventus either.

I like to come and read through, possibly join in on a conversations here and there. I VERY rarely base a purchased on another persons description is. Its almost ALWAYS different than mine. Doesn't matter who the person is, how experienced their nose is, and most definitely NOT how many posts they have.

I think more people should get out there and discover. Go sniff. Thats more important that sitting here talking about it all day.

And definitely more important than joining in the new trend of wishing Aventus would just go away lol.
    Last edited by aphexacid; 22nd March 2013 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Soooooooooooooooo true Renato hahaha, excellent observation, and one of the reasons I did not post as much early on. Few years back, I commented that Womanity was too feminine and this member went all ballistic for no reason, Another member who use to go on condescending rants if they did not know their Cambodian from Indian Oud , as if it was a crime lol. So pathetic.
    They were strange times. I recollect it being asserted by one chap that I was plainly gay because I liked Paris Hilton's Just Me for Men (??? - It seemed like a masculine aquatic scent to me, and my wife didn't mind it).

Although in the midst of the niche craze some years earlier, things got a bit bizarre as well. You'd have some high school student asking for advice on a scent for class, and "authoritative" Basenoters would tell him it was a waste of time buying anything other than Creed Green Irish Tweed or Silver Mountain Water.

I'm glad you perservered with the site.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Basenotes itself is largely responsible for the attrition of veteran members and the loss of internet presence to competing sites.

Overzealous moderators (apparently with Grant's support) have over the years banned a number of the most valuable posters, usually for petty or personal reasons (which never should've been allowed).

Couple that with Grant's ongoing inability to keep the site up and functioning normally (not to mention lack of improvements to the site) and you had some members just give up in frustration and go elsewhere.

in addition to these self inflicted wounds, some veteran members have their own blogs or write for other, more welcoming or progressive websites, which may take precedence over contributing to Basenotes.

Basenotes has, unfortunately, a lack of serious commitment and vision from its owner. It's a shame, really, as it once was the premiere site for fragrances on the internet and could've been so much more than it is now. I believe that Grant should've sought help or sold the website years ago, but he has consistently shown that he wants to have complete control over the site even though it is far too large for him to manage and he has other, more important concerns that do not allow him the time that Basenotes needs.

All this probably sounds harsher than intended, but it is my perception of the site since I joined in 2007. The fact that we all want more from Basenotes shows how important that we think it is and how monumental Grant's initial work was. It's just too bad that the site could've been in such better shape with a less draconian and more flexible philosophy.
    I have to disagree.
    It's Grant's site, and Grant makes the rules.
    Quite a few members seem to decide that it is really their site and it should be run their way, then pick up their bat and go away when they discover it isn't their site.
    Other members complain a lot because - well it's only my perception - but it seems to have become a way of life for them, and they get very upset with the occasional site problems.
    And finally, some members just move on. They get new hobbies, and the old hobby is just put on the shelf.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I don't remember it being as pronounced as your post implies, but this subject comes up on Fragrantica as well. Also, it's easy to ignore these suggestions if you can't bear the thought of wearing a "woman's" scent, just as I don't read most posts (here or anywhere else for that matter). I don't agree with those who claim that "women's" scents are superior, so I'm not suggesting that sentiment is unreasonable. Recently, I wore Azuree and thought it was great, however, so on the other hand I'm glad there was encouragement to at least sample some "women's" scents here. In general, though, I'd say most "women's" scents lack enough structure or the structure involves something I don't like, such as a harsh "white floral" accord. In any case, diversity of opinions is what I seek in the forum format. Otherwise, it can largely become an "echo chamber," which is not something that interests me.
    I've noticed over the years that quite a few of the women's scents touted for wearing by men tend to be on the masculine side of women's scents. I bought one for my wife, Black Cashmere, and while she liked it, she kept laughingly referring to it as her "butch" scent.

I have to agree with you, an awful lot of women's scents lack something - I just don't think much of them. So I was mystified when one chap asserted here back then that all masculine scents were inferior to the women's scents. There is nothing wrong with expressing that opinion if that was how he felt, but he phrased it as the rest of us were inferior or not sophisticated enough, if we did not agree with his view (as he was obviously a self appointed authority on the matter).
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caskey View Post
    I've been lurking this forums for years, and as the time goes on all I'm seeing is people turning into complete fragrance snobs. Fragrances that in matter of fact aren't offensive to the nose at all and people say they're "harsh" "disgusting" "made them puke" and it's simply not true. It's becoming a complete joke.
    Agreed.
    It seems that for some people, when they dislike a scent, they have to demonize it for no apparent reason.

Some people constantly post that they "hate" a scent. For some, it's just an exaggerated way to say they dislike a scent a lot, but for others it seems they genuinely do hate it, and I have to wonder what the scent ever personally did to them.
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    I found your comments very interesting. I haven't been around here anywhere near five years but I remember being more than a little intimidated when I first encountered posters arguing with an almost religious zealotry that the whole idea of masculine and feminine fragrances is antiquated, contrived and probably oppressive. I saw more than one poster who dared to defend the idea of masculine/feminine fragrances attacked and browbeaten as not being enlightened. Coward that I am I decided this was a fight I had no intention of joining. But I did become enlightened. I saw the kind of stuff that can go on here, "stuff" being a very gentle euphemism for what it is.
    You left out the part where we were all supposedly brain washed by marketers (even though none of us have any memory of being subjected to brainwashing techniques in a POW camp, nor of having joined any cult that used mind control techniques to make men like men's scents and vice versa).

Just be content with remaining part of the 95% of the population who have no difficulty telling a masculine scent from a feminine scent, as opposed to the "enlightened" ones who can't do what a three year old can do inately.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    It goes to show that change can be a positive thing.
    yes, that's right!

The interest in this thread just proves we all care. What is the alternative... no BN? Unthinkable.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    The interest in this thread just proves we all care. What is the alternative... no BN? Unthinkable.
    Agree - whatever objective or subjective faults this site (and its members) may have, it's great to have a resource like this. Whether you like it or not, a forum like this functions as a democracy (as long as the rules are followed) - there will always be differences of opinion, different likes, dislikes etc. I don't see a problem with this. If you see a thread you don't like, surely you can just ignore it and go on to a thread that interests you ? I know there is a new Aventus thread every other day - that's fine - I just ignore them and go on to the ones in which I am interested.

Peace to you all.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    It goes to show that change can be a positive thing.
    It can indeed be, but I confess I don't think it has been to a large degree here.

I certainly can appreciate some of the comments by others that felt intimidated in earlier years by some highly knowledgeable past members that to some came off as elitist, as I felt a bit out of my depth too many years ago when I first joined. That said, I do miss many of those same people who brought such a large knowledge base to the site that I learned so much from that is missing nowadays to a great degree. That is not meant to insult current members, many of whom I have an anormous amount of respect and friendship, but the loss of those key former/inactive individuals can't be denied, and I certainly miss them and the intellectual discussions they took with them elsewhere to a large degree. I think some aspects of the past and present combined would elevate the overall usefulness of the site to all. I welcome all new fragrance lovers and am happy to have them here (well, maybe with a few less Aventus threads) but we also need the "old guard" for proper balance, IMO, and we seem to be missing most of them here nowadays. Too bad, really.
    Last edited by drseid; 22nd March 2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Spelling...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Nüwa by Roja Dove

Just be content with remaining part of the 95% of the population who have no difficulty telling a masculine scent from a feminine scent, as opposed to the "enlightened" ones who can't do what a three year old can do inately.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Such vitriol! So people who prefer not to see fragrance through a masculine/feminine lens or hew to the dictates of marketing when selecting a perfume are idiots who "can't do what a three year-old can do inately" [sic] ??

You generalize too much. First, some of us don't believe that a person understands 'feminine' or 'masculine' smells innately. Some of us think that smells don't inherently have gender at all, and that gender assigned to fragrances is purely due to association.

Second, it's not that we are unable to distinguish scents that are traditionally seen as 'masculine' or 'feminine.' It's that we choose not to let those traditional distinctions dictate what we like or wear.

Third, I don't like insulting anyone, and I'm pretty sure that I've avoided doing that in taking part in the discussions about masculinity and femininity in fragrance. So I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't make sweeping insulting generalizations about people who disagree with you.

^ I don't think he said anything wrong, and there is nothing vitriolic at all lol. I and many BNers concur with Renato's viewpoint.