Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: The Forum Has Changed in the last 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    I don't really have a position in this 'debate' as I'm quite new (although I will say I have benefited tremendously from this forum) but I would just like to point out that the argument revolving around 'masculine' and 'feminine' fragrances is a microcosm of the arguments that are visible in societies the world over in regards to gender. Gender, unlike sex, is a social construct that is in constant flux and is contested territory. If the 'Male' and 'Female' forums were representative of fragrances as they are categorized, they should rather be entitled 'Masculine' and 'Feminine'. 'Male' and 'Female' refers to sex, that is more so biology rather than socially crafted guidelines. And just like men can wear pink t-shirts and not forfeit their 'masculinity' so men should, in theory, be able to wear fragrances that are categorized as 'feminine', and vice versa. But because we live in an often polarizing society, men tend to steer clear of fragrances created and marketed for women. Arguments against societal standards are nothing new. At heart they are attempts to break both men and women out of the marketing and societal influences they have succumbed to. How they are presented and perceived is a different story. Solution is easy, market everything as unisex .
    Based on the responses in this thread, I think BN is going to be just fine as long as the software doesn't crap out or fall too far behind.

And in the meantime, any of you who want to friend me on FB, please do. https://www.facebook.com/rabbi.mars.chen

On other forums and social networks BN's are often described as snobs.

And now a thread like this is started.
    Last edited by TLS; 22nd March 2013 at 08:01 PM.

Dependent

I was fairly into BN in the early 2000's, wandered off for a while and have come back in the past 6 months or so. Back then there were some people who posted a lot and some people who didn't post much. There were people who had brilliant insight into fragrances and were well able to express it and there were people who were more just idly curious. There were newbies and there were experienced people.

And any combination of the above.

Same as now.

Banned

There are numerous threads with just numbering , every subject that requires more then 3 mins time to answer is neglected.

Perfumes are much less of an art and more of a profit game then it used to be....so quality talk disappeared with it........

I am so thankful to people with knowledge here who have time to answer newbies questions:-) and am so sorry those blind sniffs not taking place anymore....used to be great learning and fun!!

A lot is happening in the last 2 years for worse: IFRA, now post issues....hm....... so the public of forums is changing too......and will change in the line with perfume quality

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Basenotes has become a lot more like Walmart, but there are still exceptional reviewers and posters.
    Sombody needs to start a "People of Basenotes" site.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by gimmegreen View Post
    Change is inevitable and I ignore the inane threads.
    Based on the gender discussion within this thread, there is one change I would love to see on Basenotes.
    And that would be the creation of a Non-Gender-Specific Fragrance Discussion forum option (just as we have the male and female ones) where people like myself (who will use fragrances aimed at men, women, intersex and trans people, whoever, as long as they are of interest) can go instead of constantly having to shoehorn things into male/female. I agree with Kagey that perfumes are gendered only by cultural association. My own perfume journey is about the discovery of exciting fragrances and the whole masculine/feminine thing is a big yawn for me. I have no wish to tell any man that they should wear perfumes marketed at women if that's clearly not their thing; I just want the space to talk about perfume as perfume without all the gender/sexuality distraction. If Basenotes could offer that option some day, that would be lovely.
    The few members I have interacted with so far have been unfailingly welcoming and kind.
    I, too, miss Vibert (I lurked for ages before joining).
    The "Fragrance Industry" forum performs the "Unisex" role for the most part.

In any case, the way I see it is not "(Fe)Male-Fragrance Discussion" but rather "(Fe)Male Fragrance-Discussion." The important differences between the forums are in the users, not the products discussed. The Male forum is full of assertiveness, competition, and testosterone, and the Female forum is full of receptivity, inclusiveness, and estrogen. I find the contrast stimulating and wouldn't have it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post

Excellent point. I think some people are taking this stuff *way* too seriously. Just have fun with it, people.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

BN's versatility is a big plus. It's technical problems the main drawback.
    Currently wearing: Jeu d'Amour by Kenzo

Some of us have joined to read the very good reviews and learn more about something we love. And it is great to be able to search what people who have knowledge have posted previously.

Why age could be an issue, I don't know........being a younger member doesn't mean you can't have an appreciation of both older and new perfume houses.

Time might be an issue as well. Would love to have the time to read more about the complexity of notes and the pyramids and so on .

While I love fragrance.....it is not one of the main things in my life at the moment.

The downside about joining BN for me is now storage issues!!!!!!!
    Always keep Ithaca on your mind. Cavafy

Kouros

Every now and then I have to do a long drive in the country for my work. I usually stop by a McDonald's somewhere out in the sticks for breakfast. Seems that almost every time I do that I encounter a table full of old, crotchety guys talking loudly about how things were so much better back then, and things are all going to hell now. I am terrified of becoming one of those guys.

Nothing wrong with that IMO. People have standards and viewpoints...etc. Snob does not equal elitist, so it's all good.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Hmmm...

this must come down to personal things, because I don't find people on BN to be even remotely snobbish, at least not towards me. BN would have to be the friendliest group that I belong to.

Hi laroche -

Always love your input - to the point.

One word..."Kouros". It very well may be the answer to our human existence.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by laroche View Post
    Kouros
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Hi laroche -

Always love your input - to the point.

One word..."Kouros". It very well may be the answer to our human existence.

Cheers,

ericrico

Laroche's all purpose posts can fit into any thread there is..

Anyone have any samples to give away?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Old classics are not happening with the newer generations. We are moving onto newer things. Fresh, gourmand, vibrant, 'sexy'. Anything with a 'classic' smell reminds the new generations of dad, grandpa, grandma...who wants that?

I expect the same thing to happen in another decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    Old classics are not happening with the newer generations. We are moving onto newer things. Fresh, gourmand, vibrant, 'sexy'. Anything with a 'classic' smell reminds the new generations of dad, grandpa, grandma...who wants that?

I went into this "hobby" without preconceptions. Over time, many if not most of the "vibrant" recent ones made me feel ill, along with some of the older ones (always reformulations or "drug store" ones). The point is that sensitivity can change and can result in a desire to smell scents but without a tolerance for the synthetic overload of recent non-niche (and many niche) ones on the market now.

A bit of droll snobbery by semi-bitter, mature fragheads is nothing bad at all when it comes to fragrances and made BN stand out a little. The (young American) dorm vibe can be found on plenty of other websites already.

I was addicted to this site, left for awhile, and now am back. I have noticed less "quality" and more "quantity" of posts. I notice MANY great people being banned without seeing a "smoking gun" post as to why. I notice people seem to read the first one or two posts in a thread, ignore the rest, skip to the end and write exactly the same thing someone else did a few posts up...as if the goal is to post 1,000 posts. I try hard to listen more and speak less, it is hard sometimes. I see more people posting threads that are identical to threads already on BN, PLEASE use the search box, if you have a question, chances are others have posted about it. I see so many Creed threads that I wish there was a temporary forum for Creed. This is the best fragrance site on the internet, and I hope the issues will be resolved...
    Last edited by Ornithorhynchusanatinus; 23rd March 2013 at 11:42 AM.

One thing that I have disliked (agreeing with Renato here) is when someone would create a post like "Shalimar is the greatest frag of all time" in the Men's Forum. The fact that there are gender forums here suggests that there are conventions involved. If you want to create a post with a title like "Why I consider Shalimar unisex" I don't mind that in the men's forum, though I may not read it. If you want to create a post entitled "Why I am wearing more women's frags these days" and explain why in detail, I don't mind that in the men's forum either (I'm assuming it would be written by a guy). In other words, there has to be some connection to the notion of gender distinctions, even if the post itself is about how you came to find them no longer useful.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post

fair point I suppose.
    I am tempted to see the "new generation" of scents as part of a dumbing down of standards going hand in hand with that of popular culture in general.
    Think XFactor, Sky, Fox for example..

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithorhynchusanatinus View Post
    ...I see so many Creed threads that I wish there was a temporary forum for Creed...
    I'd like to see new threads tacked on to recent threads that are basically the same, to cut down on the clutter, as well as threads moved to more relevant forums. For example, "How do I make a frag similar to Aventus" should be in DIY, not Men's. However, from what I understand, the moderators are volunteers, so I assume they are doing their best with the time they have available to moderate.

Read the Creed Royal Blue thread and tell me our poster quality has not gone down.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    A bit of droll snobbery by semi-bitter, mature fragheads is nothing bad at all when it comes to fragrances and made BN stand out a little. The (young American) dorm vibe can be found on plenty of other websites already.
    Here here. I too stand for droll snobbery, bitterness and maturity in fragrance users. Well said.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Please explain young American dorm vibe. I have no idea what that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithorhynchusanatinus View Post
    I have noticed less "quality" and more "quantity" of posts.
    I agree.
    I have been here from the beginning. I use to read just about every thread. I'm guessing that changed around three or four years ago. Now I might read five or six at most on the first page. Take from that what you will.

I hope that doesn't make me come of as snobbish. Because nothing could be further from the truth. I think I am pretty knowledgable about fragrances, but in no way do I think or act like I know more than everyone else. I only wish I could write, explain and review half as good as other members past and present. I have a hard time putting into words what's in my head. I don't want to embarrass myself. That is why I don't post that often. And if I do, it's usually short and sweet.

I hope I don't come off as narcissistic, because of all the "I"s.
    Last edited by ajmc; 23rd March 2013 at 06:21 PM.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I think this forum is still very helpful. Although sometimes I get frustrated by people who recommend vintage formulations which are most times impossible to obtain. IMO people want to know about a fragrance they can purchase now whether online or a store.

I bet a lot of old timers gave up since the market is flooded with so much crap. How long can you talk about "what once was " ? After a while you've said all you can about the fragrances you know. If you aren't experiencing anything new then your input is somewhat limited.

Sometimes I curse at myself for finding this website. I've wasted so much money on crap but at the same time I found 2 scents currently available that work very well for me. I would have never known about luckyscent.com and niche if it wasn't for this site. I guess it comes with a price.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    Please explain young American dorm vibe. I have no idea what that is.
    In musical terms: "Yeaaah! The boring semi-bitter stuffed eggheads who pushed Beethoven and Brahms down our throats were finally excommunicated.... now we can be ourselves and pat each other on the back while singing praises to the genius of Killah Priest, Jay-Z, and The Bieber."

PS Not asserting, just translating

As an extremely new member I'd like to say that while I missed out on the Golden Age of BN (all fora seem to have golden ages - they've always ended just before you join) it is still an extremely interesting, entertaining and educational place to spend a couple of hours. I'm afraid I'm one of the tail-wagging newcomers cluttering up the Male Fragrance Discussion forum but it seems churlish to lurk without contributing. My main interest is not, actually, as a consumer. I'm far more interested in the concept of perfume and of things pertaining to the senses and I'm quite happy to read, say, Aventus reviews if they're well-written because they explain something about our relationship to scent. I really enjoy the literary standard that seems to be the norm here. I'm learning a great deal and I hope I'll continue to do so.