Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

Follow your nose -- that's all that matters. If I like a Creed, I'll buy it.

Creed is a toady to state power, and the marketing revolves around some of the worst figures who lived off taxpayer exploitation.

Objectively, the end result however is consistently very good, so for that they will get respect.
    Top 5:

1. Chanel - Platinum Egoiste
    2. Creed - Millesime Imperial
    3. Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    4. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    5. Bond No. 9 - Signature

Simplex Sigillum Veri

In many ways, just objectively trying to add my two scents, this house is a solidly good one, maybe with some overhyped reputation that tends to somewhat overrate and idealize it (and, thus, sometimes risking to obtain the exactly opposite effect), nevertheless, not all of its reputation is built entirely on unsubstantiated arguments.

On the contrary, marketing hype or not, there are some good fragrances (at least in my opinion), I would have almost certainly enjoyed in equal measure (again, from a strictly personal viewpoint and fragrance taste), even if they were almost completely obscure and underrated- simply for the sheer fragrance notes they have, NOT for any other reason.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

I'd never heard of it prior to signing up here. All the GIT worship led me to get a sample, which I found to be pleasant enough but uncertain as to why so many think it's the pinnacle of fragrances. There's so many great scents out there that I think it's impossible to call any one "The Best."
    Currently wearing: Black Musk by Montale

David, I honestly cannot imagine what you thought you might discover from starting this thread that hasn't been said countless times already in the last week or so in other threads.
    Have you read any of them?

Creeds are easy to wear and smell great. Now that they're affordable more people can own them. Can't say the same about many of the other niche houses. Another big problem is that you have people (gets much worse with niche) who are basically nothing but "sniffers" on Basenotes. All they do is sniff and judge without taking into account the wearability factor and judge these type of fragrances as over rated or boring.

treeman5823

I don't like much Creed stuff, so naturally I don't have any of its fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    David,

are you able to get a hold of some samples ? If so, then give them a try and see how you go. If you have tried them, and are not convinced, then that's cool. That is probably the easiest way.

It won't take long before a thread like this descends into farce, although posters are doing well so far.
    Thanks Paul, I hope this thread will not descend into farce and that sensible debate will prevail ! Over the years I have had and tried several Creeds, including giving them full wearings. My reaction has been, "okay". Nothing more. Creed fragrances are okay /average, but not special. This is just my personal view and I fully respect anyone who has a completely different opinion. If there is one criticism I would have of the Creed fragrances I have tried, it's this, (please do not guillotine me for saying this !!!).....I found more than just a few Creed seemed to me like copies of other perfumes. I cannot remember which names, but one smelled to me like a copy of Cool Water. Another one seemed to me to be a take on Angel.
    Perhaps it was the other way round and Cool Water etc. got their insiration from Creed, (in which case I would hold Creed in very high esteem) Perhaps someone can answer this. Who is copying who ?
    I cannot explain it, but it irritates me when a fragrance smells "too" similar to an existing fragrance. I feel somehow cheated.
    I am not familiar with the latest Creed renditions. Obviously I will try to sample Aventus. I like the concept of a fragrance based around pineapple....sounds interesting !

- - - Updated - - -

None of these thread titles address the issue of Creed and Hype. In one thread title the guy is asking about the aftershave balm. Another thread concerns a perfumeur and Green Irish Tweed. Another thread is to do with royalty...etc., etc., none are adressing the issue of hype.
    Last edited by david; 22nd March 2013 at 03:36 PM.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Basenotes Plus

David - this was interesting reading, for me anyway:-
    http://perfumedpolitics.blogspot.co....-pasts-of.html

(see the Cool Water bit)
    Last edited by lpp; 22nd March 2013 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I am seeking objective discussion here, not slanging matches ~ and respect for other people's opinions.
    Personally, I do not own any Creed fragrances.
    With due respect I find the best way to avoid/disregard the hype is trying Creed scents and judging yourself. And not to swim with the current - either direction

As for me, the only Creed I own, and having tried about 30 Creed scents will ever own, is GIT.

Thanks Paul, I hope this thread will not descend into farce and that sensible debate will prevail ! Over the years I have had and tried several Creeds, including giving them full wearings. My reaction has been, "okay". Nothing more. Creed fragrances are okay /average, but not special. This is just my personal view and I fully respect anyone who has a completely different opinion. If there is one criticism I would have of the Creed fragrances I have tried, it's this, (please do not guillotine me for saying this !!!).....I found more than just a few Creed seemed to me like copies of other perfumes. I cannot remember which names, but one smelled to me like a copy of Cool Water. Another one seemed to me to be a take on Angel.
    Perhaps it was the other way round and Cool Water etc. got their inspiration from Creed, (in which case I would hold Creed in very high esteem) Perhaps someone can answer this. Who is copying who ?
    I cannot explain it, but it irritates me when a fragrance smells "too" similar to an existing fragrance. I feel somehow cheated.
    I am not familiar with the latest Creed renditions. Obviously I will try to sample Aventus. I like the concept of a fragrance based around pineapple....sounds interesting !
    David,

sounds as though you are being tempted to smell with your brain rather than your nose. We have in Australia a famous and highly regraded wine called Grange Hermitage - this costs several hundred dollars per bottle. My father in law was given a bottle by a colleague. He could not taste any difference between the Grange and cheaper $30 bottles of wine that he usually drinks. When he told this to his colleague, the colleague told him you are not supposed to taste with your mouth, but with your mind. If the bottle says Grange, it must taste fabulous. LOL.

I'm not sure that hype on anything is rational - some people like Creed because they actually like the smell, some people will like the cachet of using a niche scent, some might feel "knowledgeable" because they are using a non mainstream fragrance etc. Different physiology must also come into play. For some, the Creeds may just smell fab on their skin.

Don't sweat it David - the fact that some like Creed and others don't is good. Difference is always to be encouraged.

Peace.

None of these thread titles address the issue of Creed and Hype. In one thread title the guy is asking about the aftershave balm. Another thread concerns a perfumeur and Green Irish Tweed. Another thread is to do with royalty...etc., etc., none are adressing the issue of hype.
    Aha! Don't judge a book by its cover, and read past the titles. In my opinion these threads are gems and should be required reading. They contain some very well thought out posts on most of the issues involving creed. The discussions were mostly civil. We don't get many threads/posts like that these days, do we. I don't wonder why. I lurked for a while before joining up, read and understood these threads early on, and never once had any agita whatsoever about the creed issue. Your question re cool water / git is handled in the 7th thread, methinks. They really are good reads.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    With due respect I find the best way to avoid/disregard the hype is trying Creed scents and judging yourself. And not to swim with the current - either direction

As for me, the only Creed I own, and having tried about 30 Creed scents will ever own, is GIT.
    Good advice.

I have tried a lot of creed samples and nothing has really wowed me enough to purchase a full bottle, with the exception of Bois Du Portugal. Trying Aventus, second sample, with an open mind and it's still just a nice scent that isn't full bottle worthy to my nose.
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Is anyone of the view that Creed copy existing fragrances ?
    .....or of the view that other fragrance houses copy Creed fragrances ?
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

After the release of Aventus and the huge succes online, a lot of fragrance houses listed pineapple as a note in their new releases...

- - - Updated - - -

I am seeking objective discussion here, not slanging matches ~ and respect for other people's opinions.
    Personally, I do not own any Creed fragrances.
    I own a 50ml decant of Aventus and I love it. I adore it. Great stuff. It has an effect on people, I can't deny it. I have been very critical about the house of Creed and that won't change. Creed to me is basically a niche house that makes designer fragrances with higher quality of ingredients. Or they overload the compositions with nice and bright topnotes.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 22nd March 2013 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    David - this was interesting reading, for me anyway:-
    http://perfumedpolitics.blogspot.co....-pasts-of.html

(see the Cool Water bit)
    Thanks Lpp.
    Having read the article and looked up the release dates, (GIT came three years prior to the release of Cool Water) it's clear that Davidoff got the insiparation from Creed.
    The article is an eye opener.....made me laugh.....Vintage Tobarome supposedly made for George IV in 1876. He had already been dead 46 years. Sloppy fantasising on the part of Creed. Personally, such blunders make me take them even less seriously than before.
    Last edited by david; 23rd March 2013 at 09:14 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Liked the article (and others there) - I'm neutral in this really, just unfortunately can't resist joining in if there's a joke going on, one of my worst habits.

treeman5823

Bois de Portugal is a copy of New York, and Royal Leather a crap copy of Knize Ten. Cool Water is a copy of Green Irish Tweed (both by Pierre Bourdon). Probably a few other copies I missed.

Blog Entries

I respect the house. Many Creeds I adore. Many don't work at all on my skin; Try and decide. With any house.
    Currently wearing: Marry Me by Lanvin

I bought my first Creed in the 90's - Millesime Imperial. Made me wretch but I bought it anyway because the bottle was gold and pretty. Then about four years ago I bought the limited edition Rosalie for Selfridges. Creed usually smell profoundly metallic to me and require a very specific mood. But Rosalie stands alone as a paean to gentility and diaphanousness. Although floral and fruity, it has no specific genitalia.