Code of Conduct

Default Creed And The Hype ?

I am seeking objective discussion here, not slanging matches ~ and respect for other people's opinions.
    Personally, I do not own any Creed fragrances.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

Not too sure what you want since it's left too far open; thus invariably inviting in the vitriol and mud-slinging.

I'd suggest that you possibly word this in the direction you were intending to facilitate a healthy conversation about Creed, its surrounding marketing hype and so forth. Good luck with that here, btw. I expect cynicism, sarcasm, vitriol and unbridled angst by post 10 if not before.

Let's see

Oh God.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Are you asking what causes the hype, or if the hype is justified? I'll respond briefly to both.

First off, what causes the hype is pretty simple, us fragrance fans. We do all the hyping when we find a fragrance we like, and someone just has to tell others. I get that. In that respect, it's also why Creed gets so much hype. Their fragrances use quality ingredients, and are often "more accessible" than a lot of other niche brands. Add to that the prestige of the company (moreso the fact that they've been making good or great fragrances for a long time), and you have a recipe for hype.

Now, whether or not the hype is justified is completely subjective, and can't really be looked at objectively. Personally, I just bought my sixth Creed fragrance today, so I tend to fall into the "yes" category, but really no hype like the hype Aventus got/gets is justified. It is just too hard to say "this fragrance is amazing and everyone must love it or there's something wrong with you" like people tend to do with that fragrance. I think another way people, myself included, look at it is in terms of price point and value for money. True, Creeds from the boutique are expensive, very much so. However, ones from the grey market are actually pretty cheap, all niche considered (and even some designers). Getting 120mL for nearly $1 per mL is really good.

I'd probably have more to say but I want to see where this goes before getting to invested. These threads have a tendency to get out of hand.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Not too sure what you want since it's left too far open; thus invariably inviting in the vitriol and mud-slinging.

I'd suggest that you possibly word this in the direction you were intending to facilitate a healthy conversation about Creed, its surrounding marketing hype and so forth. Good luck with that here, btw. I expect cynicism, sarcasm, vitriol and unbridled angst by post 10 if not before.

Let's see
    Is not "objective discussion" and "respect for other people's opinions" indicating very strongly.....healthy conversation ???

I respect the house. I own 29 bottles of Creed fragrances and enjoy them. I don't pay attention to hype of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Are you asking what causes the hype, or if the hype is justified? I'll respond briefly to both.

First off, what causes the hype is pretty simple, us fragrance fans. We do all the hyping when we find a fragrance we like, and someone just has to tell others. I get that. In that respect, it's also why Creed gets so much hype. Their fragrances use quality ingredients, and are often "more accessible" than a lot of other niche brands. Add to that the prestige of the company (moreso the fact that they've been making good or great fragrances for a long time), and you have a recipe for hype.

Now, whether or not the hype is justified is completely subjective, and can't really be looked at objectively. Personally, I just bought my sixth Creed fragrance today, so I tend to fall into the "yes" category, but really no hype like the hype Aventus got/gets is justified. It is just too hard to say "this fragrance is amazing and everyone must love it or there's something wrong with you" like people tend to do with that fragrance. I think another way people, myself included, look at it is in terms of price point and value for money. True, Creeds from the boutique are expensive, very much so. However, ones from the grey market are actually pretty cheap, all niche considered (and even some designers). Getting 120mL for nearly $1 per mL is really good.

I'd probably have more to say but I want to see where this goes before getting to invested. These threads have a tendency to get out of hand.
    Thanks for your views. I hope this thread does not get out of hand. I am trying to understand the brand. Personally, I have not yet been convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I respect the house. I own 29 bottles of Creed fragrances and enjoy them. I don't pay attention to hype of any kind.
    Will you link us to your post in the "show us your collection" thread? I am sure there is one but I haven't seen it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Creed is honestly my favorite fragrance house. Seven out of my top 15 favorite fragrances are Creeds. There are a lot of people who love it and hate it. If you're not a Creed person, that's fine, I have respect for your opinion. Me though, regardless, I enjoy Creed.

Yes it seems that Creed gets more "hype" here than other, similar companies. I'm not sure why, but my guess is that more than one major factor is involved.

I personally love the house and suggest to anyone to wear what appeals to you.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Had a bottle of Silver Mountain Water, sold it. Recently received 15ml of Aventus and Virgin Island Water and am enjoying them. Would I pay retail price? Never. Would I purchase them for some of the prices that online retailers sell them? Perhaps (although keeping in mind all that talk about batch variation has kept me from doing so). Do I think they're good fragrances? Yes. Great? No. There are fragrances at similar price points and that sell for much cheaper that are, in my opinion, just as good if not better.

Unfortunately the same can readily be said about many other 'niche' and expensive lines. So in the end, I really have no idea what all the fuss is about.

They have something for everyone IMO.

Also, the price you find on online wholesalers/splits is not unreasonable and at decent price point for most entering this hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Yes it seems that Creed gets more "hype" here than other, similar companies. I'm not sure why, but my guess is that more than one major factor is involved.
    I would say accessibility is a factor as they are probably the most widely available niche line (at least in the US). Add the fact that they have several high quality, crowd-pleasing fragrances and they become a major gateway for many into the world of niche perfume. I like and own a couple of their fragrances and couldn't care less about their marketing.

On second thoughts, why bother
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 22nd March 2013 at 05:25 PM.

People talk about it - other people try it - if it is a decent product they talk about it - even more people try it - they talk about it ------and popularity ensues.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V74AxCqOTvg
    There is a book called "the tipping point" by Malcolm Gladwell that is all about this as well. It is human nature to join in.
    I use cloth diapers. I deserve something that smells amazing.

Creed is, in my opinion, the best house there is. There is no close second. As the New York Yankees of the fragrance world, they will draw the scorn of contrarians. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, we have been seeing a lot of threads lately created for the sole purpose of bashing the house, usually using a flawed premise or creating a straw man, and sometimes pointing out legitimate issues.

The number of "which batch should I buy" threads and "why does Creed suck" threads are out of control. But as soon as the next big thing comes out, it will subside. Unless it is from Creed... A year ago, it was Back to Black this and Pure Malt that. DHI - which of the 14 reformulations should I get, etc...

If its not Aventus, then what? If you want to talk about something else, start a Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme thread - nothing says you can't. How many more "help me choose what I should buy next or wear on my date, etc" would we have?

Anyway, IMO, the "hype" for Creed is justified. However, there are many other great fragrances out there. Creed only makes up about 10% of my collection, so talk of other fragrances certainly works for me.

I think a lot of the hype (and the fact that it rankles so many on here) has to do with the fact that they make quality frags, but they typically aren't nearly as "challenging" as other niche houses. They're a a niche house with broader appeal than most, so they are often provide the "ah ha!" moment for those just getting into higher-quality fragrances, and people are inclined to post about it. Not to mention that much of their line can be found for somewhat reasonable prices, so they're kind of the gateway niche.

All of this draws the ire of more experienced noses, and while I don't blame them, it's not as huge a deal as some want to make it out to be IMO. There's also the issue of their questionable marketing with regards to their history, which doesn't serve to cast them or their "hypers" in the best of light.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Creed is, in my opinion, the best house there is.,,
    Do you really believe that someone who wears powerful orientals will prefer Creed to Lutens? And who cares about a "house" when it comes to scents? I like GIT and would own a few Creeds if they were cheaper, but I don't tend to like what Creed offers these days. In fact, I prefer something like Pino Silvestre to just about everything I've tried from Creed, but because I have a large rotation and enjoy variety I wouldn't mind having some Creeds in there too. If you want to wear scents only from one "house" that's fine, but I can't believe you don't recognize that many of us couldn't care less about that sort of thing.

In my opinion Creed is good house and my favorite because the quality of the juice is great and they have a very broad range of different scents and as someone else said, they really have something for everyone and for every occasion. The bottles are also quality and I have yet to find a bottle with a better spritzer. Don't get me wrong though, I have sampled some juice from Creed that was a complete disaster on my skin, but that is to be expected with any house.

So with that I wouldn't say there is any hype, I mean when it comes to fragrance the juice speaks for itself and it is what it is. If its no good there is no amount of hype that will cause a person to wear whatever the scent may be. And just because most people like some thing and you don't, doesn't really mean there is hype around it. Its just all personal preference, and the majority may prefer a juice that just doesn't work for you.

Do you really believe that someone who wears powerful orientals will prefer Creed to Lutens? And who cares about a "house" when it comes to scents? I like GIT and would own a few Creeds if they were cheaper, but I don't tend to like what Creed offers these days. In fact, I prefer something like Pino Silvestre to just about everything I've tried from Creed, but because I have a large rotation and enjoy variety I wouldn't mind having some Creeds in there too. If you want to wear scents only from one "house" that's fine, but I can't believe you don't recognize that many of us couldn't care less about that sort of thing.
    I don't understand your point. No, people who prefer deep dark heavy fragrances will not choose Creed over Lutens or some others. I didn't say they would. You even quoted where I said "in my opinion". It is just that - my opinion. You may have a different favorite.

Also, I don't much care who the manufacturer is either - I am not the person who started (another) Creed thread. So, apparantly, some people do care about the manufacturer to some degree. Where did I say I didn't recognize liking many things from many houses? I mentioned right in my post that Creed only makes up about 10% of my collection. I too have a very large rotation. I don't start Creed threads. And please show me where I said I want to only wear scents from one house?

Basenotes Plus

Good God, here we go again. Haven't we been here a few times before???

Basenotes Plus

And who cares about a "house" when it comes to scents?
    That would be my take too. Creed makes some things I like very much. A few more things I don't get excited about.
    For me personally...the other houses.....same thing, like some, others, meh. I just think personal brand identity is very important to a lot of people these days. And Creed makes some very user friendly stuff. I can see why fragrance users come to identify with Creed and make it "their" brand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Good God, here we go again. Haven't we been here a few times before???
    I believe we have, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I am seeking objective discussion here, not slanging matches ~ and respect for other people's opinions.
    Bois de Portugal is a staple, IMO!

I tried GIT for the 1st time and thought it smelt revolting on me not sure why, but i do really like Aventus.. Still i doubt i could ever afford or would be willing to pay the prices.
    Creed are so much more well known and accessible i imagine due to the internet and therefore many more people are saying whats all the fuss about?. I am sure most perfume houses are over hyped to some degree except the very niche, so you pays your money and takes your choice.
    Last edited by ThePieman; 22nd March 2013 at 06:34 AM.

David,

are you able to get a hold of some samples ? If so, then give them a try and see how you go. If you have tried them, and are not convinced, then that's cool. That is probably the easiest way.

It won't take long before a thread like this descends into farce, although posters are doing well so far.

I personally think it is over rated. I have git, mi and aventus . While I think they are good, they are not wow to me. I personally like rich and darker perfume so Amouage and guerlain are on top of my list.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 26th March 2013 at 09:54 AM.

The thread of the day on whether Creed is overrated/underrated. Sigh.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

An interesting trend that I've noticed while browsing is that on these boards, Creed seems to get most of its fans from across the pond. I've never seen Creed marketed over here and most people have no clue about it although when speaking to my French friends they are familiar with the likes of Lutens and Malle etc.

I don't quite understand the mystique surrounding Creed. I've tried a few of their fragrances and while I've found them ok, for the prices I expected a lot more. I have no problem paying high prices for things that I feel are worth it. Amouage, for instance really impressed me. Creed smacks of smugness simply because their high prices make them exclusive, the quality to price ratio is poor.

Have not tried any Creed, too expensive and the seemingly endless talk about the brand puts me off a bit. I'm sure most here just love the scents but it can also seem it's the house of choice for a certain kind of person (new money, or at least aspirational, into brands, etc). Will try GIT & Juventus at some point if I see them in Harrods or somewhere just to see what the fuss is all about, how close to CW it really is, if the pineapple feels royal, etc. If my mind gets blown expect some I just bought Creed, which code should I get, OMG CREED!! threads

Follow your nose -- that's all that matters. If I like a Creed, I'll buy it.

Creed is a toady to state power, and the marketing revolves around some of the worst figures who lived off taxpayer exploitation.

Objectively, the end result however is consistently very good, so for that they will get respect.
    Top 5:

1. Chanel - Platinum Egoiste
    2. Creed - Millesime Imperial
    3. Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    4. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    5. Bond No. 9 - Signature

Simplex Sigillum Veri

In many ways, just objectively trying to add my two scents, this house is a solidly good one, maybe with some overhyped reputation that tends to somewhat overrate and idealize it (and, thus, sometimes risking to obtain the exactly opposite effect), nevertheless, not all of its reputation is built entirely on unsubstantiated arguments.

On the contrary, marketing hype or not, there are some good fragrances (at least in my opinion), I would have almost certainly enjoyed in equal measure (again, from a strictly personal viewpoint and fragrance taste), even if they were almost completely obscure and underrated- simply for the sheer fragrance notes they have, NOT for any other reason.

I'd never heard of it prior to signing up here. All the GIT worship led me to get a sample, which I found to be pleasant enough but uncertain as to why so many think it's the pinnacle of fragrances. There's so many great scents out there that I think it's impossible to call any one "The Best."

David, I honestly cannot imagine what you thought you might discover from starting this thread that hasn't been said countless times already in the last week or so in other threads.
    Have you read any of them?

Creeds are easy to wear and smell great. Now that they're affordable more people can own them. Can't say the same about many of the other niche houses. Another big problem is that you have people (gets much worse with niche) who are basically nothing but "sniffers" on Basenotes. All they do is sniff and judge without taking into account the wearability factor and judge these type of fragrances as over rated or boring.

treeman5823

I don't like much Creed stuff, so naturally I don't have any of its fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    David,

are you able to get a hold of some samples ? If so, then give them a try and see how you go. If you have tried them, and are not convinced, then that's cool. That is probably the easiest way.

It won't take long before a thread like this descends into farce, although posters are doing well so far.
    Thanks Paul, I hope this thread will not descend into farce and that sensible debate will prevail ! Over the years I have had and tried several Creeds, including giving them full wearings. My reaction has been, "okay". Nothing more. Creed fragrances are okay /average, but not special. This is just my personal view and I fully respect anyone who has a completely different opinion. If there is one criticism I would have of the Creed fragrances I have tried, it's this, (please do not guillotine me for saying this !!!).....I found more than just a few Creed seemed to me like copies of other perfumes. I cannot remember which names, but one smelled to me like a copy of Cool Water. Another one seemed to me to be a take on Angel.
    Perhaps it was the other way round and Cool Water etc. got their insiration from Creed, (in which case I would hold Creed in very high esteem) Perhaps someone can answer this. Who is copying who ?
    I cannot explain it, but it irritates me when a fragrance smells "too" similar to an existing fragrance. I feel somehow cheated.
    I am not familiar with the latest Creed renditions. Obviously I will try to sample Aventus. I like the concept of a fragrance based around pineapple....sounds interesting !

- - - Updated - - -

None of these thread titles address the issue of Creed and Hype. In one thread title the guy is asking about the aftershave balm. Another thread concerns a perfumeur and Green Irish Tweed. Another thread is to do with royalty...etc., etc., none are adressing the issue of hype.
    Last edited by david; 22nd March 2013 at 03:36 PM.

David - this was interesting reading, for me anyway:-
    http://perfumedpolitics.blogspot.co....-pasts-of.html

(see the Cool Water bit)
    Last edited by lpp; 22nd March 2013 at 06:29 PM.

With due respect I find the best way to avoid/disregard the hype is trying Creed scents and judging yourself. And not to swim with the current - either direction

As for me, the only Creed I own, and having tried about 30 Creed scents will ever own, is GIT.

Thanks Paul, I hope this thread will not descend into farce and that sensible debate will prevail ! Over the years I have had and tried several Creeds, including giving them full wearings. My reaction has been, "okay". Nothing more. Creed fragrances are okay /average, but not special. This is just my personal view and I fully respect anyone who has a completely different opinion. If there is one criticism I would have of the Creed fragrances I have tried, it's this, (please do not guillotine me for saying this !!!).....I found more than just a few Creed seemed to me like copies of other perfumes. I cannot remember which names, but one smelled to me like a copy of Cool Water. Another one seemed to me to be a take on Angel.
    Perhaps it was the other way round and Cool Water etc. got their inspiration from Creed, (in which case I would hold Creed in very high esteem) Perhaps someone can answer this. Who is copying who ?
    I cannot explain it, but it irritates me when a fragrance smells "too" similar to an existing fragrance. I feel somehow cheated.
    I am not familiar with the latest Creed renditions. Obviously I will try to sample Aventus. I like the concept of a fragrance based around pineapple....sounds interesting !
    David,

sounds as though you are being tempted to smell with your brain rather than your nose. We have in Australia a famous and highly regraded wine called Grange Hermitage - this costs several hundred dollars per bottle. My father in law was given a bottle by a colleague. He could not taste any difference between the Grange and cheaper $30 bottles of wine that he usually drinks. When he told this to his colleague, the colleague told him you are not supposed to taste with your mouth, but with your mind. If the bottle says Grange, it must taste fabulous. LOL.

I'm not sure that hype on anything is rational - some people like Creed because they actually like the smell, some people will like the cachet of using a niche scent, some might feel "knowledgeable" because they are using a non mainstream fragrance etc. Different physiology must also come into play. For some, the Creeds may just smell fab on their skin.

Don't sweat it David - the fact that some like Creed and others don't is good. Difference is always to be encouraged.

Peace.

None of these thread titles address the issue of Creed and Hype. In one thread title the guy is asking about the aftershave balm. Another thread concerns a perfumeur and Green Irish Tweed. Another thread is to do with royalty...etc., etc., none are adressing the issue of hype.
    Aha! Don't judge a book by its cover, and read past the titles. In my opinion these threads are gems and should be required reading. They contain some very well thought out posts on most of the issues involving creed. The discussions were mostly civil. We don't get many threads/posts like that these days, do we. I don't wonder why. I lurked for a while before joining up, read and understood these threads early on, and never once had any agita whatsoever about the creed issue. Your question re cool water / git is handled in the 7th thread, methinks. They really are good reads.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    With due respect I find the best way to avoid/disregard the hype is trying Creed scents and judging yourself. And not to swim with the current - either direction

As for me, the only Creed I own, and having tried about 30 Creed scents will ever own, is GIT.
    Good advice.

I have tried a lot of creed samples and nothing has really wowed me enough to purchase a full bottle, with the exception of Bois Du Portugal. Trying Aventus, second sample, with an open mind and it's still just a nice scent that isn't full bottle worthy to my nose.
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Is anyone of the view that Creed copy existing fragrances ?
    .....or of the view that other fragrance houses copy Creed fragrances ?

After the release of Aventus and the huge succes online, a lot of fragrance houses listed pineapple as a note in their new releases...

- - - Updated - - -

I own a 50ml decant of Aventus and I love it. I adore it. Great stuff. It has an effect on people, I can't deny it. I have been very critical about the house of Creed and that won't change. Creed to me is basically a niche house that makes designer fragrances with higher quality of ingredients. Or they overload the compositions with nice and bright topnotes.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 22nd March 2013 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    David - this was interesting reading, for me anyway:-
    http://perfumedpolitics.blogspot.co....-pasts-of.html

(see the Cool Water bit)
    Thanks Lpp.
    Having read the article and looked up the release dates, (GIT came three years prior to the release of Cool Water) it's clear that Davidoff got the insiparation from Creed.
    The article is an eye opener.....made me laugh.....Vintage Tobarome supposedly made for George IV in 1876. He had already been dead 46 years. Sloppy fantasising on the part of Creed. Personally, such blunders make me take them even less seriously than before.
    Last edited by david; 23rd March 2013 at 09:14 PM.

Liked the article (and others there) - I'm neutral in this really, just unfortunately can't resist joining in if there's a joke going on, one of my worst habits.

treeman5823

Bois de Portugal is a copy of New York, and Royal Leather a crap copy of Knize Ten. Cool Water is a copy of Green Irish Tweed (both by Pierre Bourdon). Probably a few other copies I missed.

I respect the house. Many Creeds I adore. Many don't work at all on my skin; Try and decide. With any house.

I bought my first Creed in the 90's - Millesime Imperial. Made me wretch but I bought it anyway because the bottle was gold and pretty. Then about four years ago I bought the limited edition Rosalie for Selfridges. Creed usually smell profoundly metallic to me and require a very specific mood. But Rosalie stands alone as a paean to gentility and diaphanousness. Although floral and fruity, it has no specific genitalia.