Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 51
  1. #1
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote d´Azur
    Posts
    2,827

    Default Creed And The Hype ?

    I am seeking objective discussion here, not slanging matches ~ and respect for other people's opinions.
    Personally, I do not own any Creed fragrances.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Not too sure what you want since it's left too far open; thus invariably inviting in the vitriol and mud-slinging.

    I'd suggest that you possibly word this in the direction you were intending to facilitate a healthy conversation about Creed, its surrounding marketing hype and so forth. Good luck with that here, btw. I expect cynicism, sarcasm, vitriol and unbridled angst by post 10 if not before.

    Let's see
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread

  3. #3

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Oh God.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  4. #4
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Are you asking what causes the hype, or if the hype is justified? I'll respond briefly to both.

    First off, what causes the hype is pretty simple, us fragrance fans. We do all the hyping when we find a fragrance we like, and someone just has to tell others. I get that. In that respect, it's also why Creed gets so much hype. Their fragrances use quality ingredients, and are often "more accessible" than a lot of other niche brands. Add to that the prestige of the company (moreso the fact that they've been making good or great fragrances for a long time), and you have a recipe for hype.

    Now, whether or not the hype is justified is completely subjective, and can't really be looked at objectively. Personally, I just bought my sixth Creed fragrance today, so I tend to fall into the "yes" category, but really no hype like the hype Aventus got/gets is justified. It is just too hard to say "this fragrance is amazing and everyone must love it or there's something wrong with you" like people tend to do with that fragrance. I think another way people, myself included, look at it is in terms of price point and value for money. True, Creeds from the boutique are expensive, very much so. However, ones from the grey market are actually pretty cheap, all niche considered (and even some designers). Getting 120mL for nearly $1 per mL is really good.

    I'd probably have more to say but I want to see where this goes before getting to invested. These threads have a tendency to get out of hand.

  5. #5
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote d´Azur
    Posts
    2,827

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Not too sure what you want since it's left too far open; thus invariably inviting in the vitriol and mud-slinging.

    I'd suggest that you possibly word this in the direction you were intending to facilitate a healthy conversation about Creed, its surrounding marketing hype and so forth. Good luck with that here, btw. I expect cynicism, sarcasm, vitriol and unbridled angst by post 10 if not before.

    Let's see
    Is not "objective discussion" and "respect for other people's opinions" indicating very strongly.....healthy conversation ???
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

  6. #6
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    109,363

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    I respect the house. I own 29 bottles of Creed fragrances and enjoy them. I don't pay attention to hype of any kind.

  7. #7
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote d´Azur
    Posts
    2,827

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Are you asking what causes the hype, or if the hype is justified? I'll respond briefly to both.

    First off, what causes the hype is pretty simple, us fragrance fans. We do all the hyping when we find a fragrance we like, and someone just has to tell others. I get that. In that respect, it's also why Creed gets so much hype. Their fragrances use quality ingredients, and are often "more accessible" than a lot of other niche brands. Add to that the prestige of the company (moreso the fact that they've been making good or great fragrances for a long time), and you have a recipe for hype.

    Now, whether or not the hype is justified is completely subjective, and can't really be looked at objectively. Personally, I just bought my sixth Creed fragrance today, so I tend to fall into the "yes" category, but really no hype like the hype Aventus got/gets is justified. It is just too hard to say "this fragrance is amazing and everyone must love it or there's something wrong with you" like people tend to do with that fragrance. I think another way people, myself included, look at it is in terms of price point and value for money. True, Creeds from the boutique are expensive, very much so. However, ones from the grey market are actually pretty cheap, all niche considered (and even some designers). Getting 120mL for nearly $1 per mL is really good.

    I'd probably have more to say but I want to see where this goes before getting to invested. These threads have a tendency to get out of hand.
    Thanks for your views. I hope this thread does not get out of hand. I am trying to understand the brand. Personally, I have not yet been convinced.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

  8. #8
    stoavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I respect the house. I own 29 bottles of Creed fragrances and enjoy them. I don't pay attention to hype of any kind.
    Will you link us to your post in the "show us your collection" thread? I am sure there is one but I haven't seen it.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,480
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Creed is honestly my favorite fragrance house. Seven out of my top 15 favorite fragrances are Creeds. There are a lot of people who love it and hate it. If you're not a Creed person, that's fine, I have respect for your opinion. Me though, regardless, I enjoy Creed.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Yes it seems that Creed gets more "hype" here than other, similar companies. I'm not sure why, but my guess is that more than one major factor is involved.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    I personally love the house and suggest to anyone to wear what appeals to you.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  12. #12
    Basenotes Junkie NYCBoomBoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    965

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Had a bottle of Silver Mountain Water, sold it. Recently received 15ml of Aventus and Virgin Island Water and am enjoying them. Would I pay retail price? Never. Would I purchase them for some of the prices that online retailers sell them? Perhaps (although keeping in mind all that talk about batch variation has kept me from doing so). Do I think they're good fragrances? Yes. Great? No. There are fragrances at similar price points and that sell for much cheaper that are, in my opinion, just as good if not better.

    Unfortunately the same can readily be said about many other 'niche' and expensive lines. So in the end, I really have no idea what all the fuss is about.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    They have something for everyone IMO.

    Also, the price you find on online wholesalers/splits is not unreasonable and at decent price point for most entering this hobby.

  14. #14
    Dependent chili_willi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    2,226

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Yes it seems that Creed gets more "hype" here than other, similar companies. I'm not sure why, but my guess is that more than one major factor is involved.
    I would say accessibility is a factor as they are probably the most widely available niche line (at least in the US). Add the fact that they have several high quality, crowd-pleasing fragrances and they become a major gateway for many into the world of niche perfume. I like and own a couple of their fragrances and couldn't care less about their marketing.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

  15. #15

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    On second thoughts, why bother
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 22nd March 2013 at 05:25 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    People talk about it - other people try it - if it is a decent product they talk about it - even more people try it - they talk about it ------and popularity ensues.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V74AxCqOTvg
    There is a book called "the tipping point" by Malcolm Gladwell that is all about this as well. It is human nature to join in.
    I use cloth diapers. I deserve something that smells amazing.

  17. #17
    Basenotes Institution dougczar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    12,009

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Creed is, in my opinion, the best house there is. There is no close second. As the New York Yankees of the fragrance world, they will draw the scorn of contrarians. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, we have been seeing a lot of threads lately created for the sole purpose of bashing the house, usually using a flawed premise or creating a straw man, and sometimes pointing out legitimate issues.

    The number of "which batch should I buy" threads and "why does Creed suck" threads are out of control. But as soon as the next big thing comes out, it will subside. Unless it is from Creed... A year ago, it was Back to Black this and Pure Malt that. DHI - which of the 14 reformulations should I get, etc...

    If its not Aventus, then what? If you want to talk about something else, start a Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme thread - nothing says you can't. How many more "help me choose what I should buy next or wear on my date, etc" would we have?

    Anyway, IMO, the "hype" for Creed is justified. However, there are many other great fragrances out there. Creed only makes up about 10% of my collection, so talk of other fragrances certainly works for me.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    I think a lot of the hype (and the fact that it rankles so many on here) has to do with the fact that they make quality frags, but they typically aren't nearly as "challenging" as other niche houses. They're a a niche house with broader appeal than most, so they are often provide the "ah ha!" moment for those just getting into higher-quality fragrances, and people are inclined to post about it. Not to mention that much of their line can be found for somewhat reasonable prices, so they're kind of the gateway niche.

    All of this draws the ire of more experienced noses, and while I don't blame them, it's not as huge a deal as some want to make it out to be IMO. There's also the issue of their questionable marketing with regards to their history, which doesn't serve to cast them or their "hypers" in the best of light.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Creed is, in my opinion, the best house there is.,,
    Do you really believe that someone who wears powerful orientals will prefer Creed to Lutens? And who cares about a "house" when it comes to scents? I like GIT and would own a few Creeds if they were cheaper, but I don't tend to like what Creed offers these days. In fact, I prefer something like Pino Silvestre to just about everything I've tried from Creed, but because I have a large rotation and enjoy variety I wouldn't mind having some Creeds in there too. If you want to wear scents only from one "house" that's fine, but I can't believe you don't recognize that many of us couldn't care less about that sort of thing.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    In my opinion Creed is good house and my favorite because the quality of the juice is great and they have a very broad range of different scents and as someone else said, they really have something for everyone and for every occasion. The bottles are also quality and I have yet to find a bottle with a better spritzer. Don't get me wrong though, I have sampled some juice from Creed that was a complete disaster on my skin, but that is to be expected with any house.

    So with that I wouldn't say there is any hype, I mean when it comes to fragrance the juice speaks for itself and it is what it is. If its no good there is no amount of hype that will cause a person to wear whatever the scent may be. And just because most people like some thing and you don't, doesn't really mean there is hype around it. Its just all personal preference, and the majority may prefer a juice that just doesn't work for you.

  21. #21
    Basenotes Institution dougczar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    12,009

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Do you really believe that someone who wears powerful orientals will prefer Creed to Lutens? And who cares about a "house" when it comes to scents? I like GIT and would own a few Creeds if they were cheaper, but I don't tend to like what Creed offers these days. In fact, I prefer something like Pino Silvestre to just about everything I've tried from Creed, but because I have a large rotation and enjoy variety I wouldn't mind having some Creeds in there too. If you want to wear scents only from one "house" that's fine, but I can't believe you don't recognize that many of us couldn't care less about that sort of thing.
    I don't understand your point. No, people who prefer deep dark heavy fragrances will not choose Creed over Lutens or some others. I didn't say they would. You even quoted where I said "in my opinion". It is just that - my opinion. You may have a different favorite.

    Also, I don't much care who the manufacturer is either - I am not the person who started (another) Creed thread. So, apparantly, some people do care about the manufacturer to some degree. Where did I say I didn't recognize liking many things from many houses? I mentioned right in my post that Creed only makes up about 10% of my collection. I too have a very large rotation. I don't start Creed threads. And please show me where I said I want to only wear scents from one house?

  22. #22
    Frag Bomb Squadron XIII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,723

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Good God, here we go again. Haven't we been here a few times before???

  23. #23
    Basenotes Plus
    Dernier_Cri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    By the Big Lake
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    And who cares about a "house" when it comes to scents?
    That would be my take too. Creed makes some things I like very much. A few more things I don't get excited about.
    For me personally...the other houses.....same thing, like some, others, meh. I just think personal brand identity is very important to a lot of people these days. And Creed makes some very user friendly stuff. I can see why fragrance users come to identify with Creed and make it "their" brand.


    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Good God, here we go again. Haven't we been here a few times before???
    I believe we have, yes.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I am seeking objective discussion here, not slanging matches ~ and respect for other people's opinions.
    Personally, I do not own any Creed fragrances.
    Bois de Portugal is a staple, IMO!
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

  25. #25

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    I tried GIT for the 1st time and thought it smelt revolting on me not sure why, but i do really like Aventus.. Still i doubt i could ever afford or would be willing to pay the prices.
    Creed are so much more well known and accessible i imagine due to the internet and therefore many more people are saying whats all the fuss about?. I am sure most perfume houses are over hyped to some degree except the very niche, so you pays your money and takes your choice.
    Last edited by ThePieman; 22nd March 2013 at 06:34 AM.

  26. #26
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    491

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    David,

    are you able to get a hold of some samples ? If so, then give them a try and see how you go. If you have tried them, and are not convinced, then that's cool. That is probably the easiest way.

    It won't take long before a thread like this descends into farce, although posters are doing well so far.

  27. #27
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    I personally think it is over rated. I have git, mi and aventus . While I think they are good, they are not wow to me. I personally like rich and darker perfume so Amouage and guerlain are on top of my list.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 26th March 2013 at 09:54 AM.

  28. #28
    Dependent LloydLlewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    1,697

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    The thread of the day on whether Creed is overrated/underrated. Sigh.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

  29. #29
    Basenotes Junkie chopwet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I am seeking objective discussion here, not slanging matches ~ and respect for other people's opinions.
    Personally, I do not own any Creed fragrances.
    An interesting trend that I've noticed while browsing is that on these boards, Creed seems to get most of its fans from across the pond. I've never seen Creed marketed over here and most people have no clue about it although when speaking to my French friends they are familiar with the likes of Lutens and Malle etc.

    I don't quite understand the mystique surrounding Creed. I've tried a few of their fragrances and while I've found them ok, for the prices I expected a lot more. I have no problem paying high prices for things that I feel are worth it. Amouage, for instance really impressed me. Creed smacks of smugness simply because their high prices make them exclusive, the quality to price ratio is poor.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Creed And The Hype ?

    Have not tried any Creed, too expensive and the seemingly endless talk about the brand puts me off a bit. I'm sure most here just love the scents but it can also seem it's the house of choice for a certain kind of person (new money, or at least aspirational, into brands, etc). Will try GIT & Juventus at some point if I see them in Harrods or somewhere just to see what the fuss is all about, how close to CW it really is, if the pineapple feels royal, etc. If my mind gets blown expect some I just bought Creed, which code should I get, OMG CREED!! threads

Similar Threads

  1. LIDGE: don't believe the hype!
    By Francolino in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 28th January 2013, 01:01 AM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 31st August 2012, 01:44 PM
  3. Finally got to see what all the hype is about with Creed
    By AntonV in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 31st August 2012, 03:22 AM
  4. why is perfume hype?
    By WildThingy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 5th April 2012, 03:26 PM
  5. Creed, really that good or just marketing hype.
    By oolong in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 31st July 2011, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000