Code of Conduct

Default Reviving old juice

Hello all,

I was reading the "Attention all Dolce&Gabbana owners" thread, and Andre Moreau and Slayerised briefly introduced the idea of "reviving" old juice, or maybe juice that doesn't seem as strong or powerful as it should be.

I'm just curious to know if anyone out there has any tips, ideas etc. or any experiences in this respect that they would like to share.

Thanks

Default Re: Reviving old juice

I have a bottle of Vintage D&G PH that i purchased a while back that has very poor longevity. I wouldn't mind finding out how to "revive" it.

Personally I found that many old bottles should be twisted and rolled (gently!) several times before use, in order to obtain best results.
    More, the same bottle gives different results if it's "spray" or "splash". Spray has a better distribution; that's why when I have an old "splash" bottle, I pour a 15-20 ml of juice in an empty sprayer, and use it (and storing the old bottle in a dark place).

Basenotes Plus

Never done this, but some people seem to be adding/spraying Iso for longevity issues?
    There are some recent threads on this, although I haven't read them.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/328...ion-of-perfume

The 'old' spray bottles also maybe had a propellant that affects the contents over time too.

Agree about rolling old bottles gently.

Thanks Andre and Lyn.

Just curious - what happens if you shake the bottles vigorously, if only for 3 or 4 seconds ? Will the juice be affected negatively by doing this ?

Basenotes Plus

Yes, I've heard that they don't like that at all - like old wine

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    yes, i've heard that they don't like that at all - like old wine
    lol!

I definitely shake vintage bottles a bit to distribute the contents more evenly. Also, just using the bottle seems to open it up more. My bottle of Miracle Homme smelled sour and off, but this went away with a number of sprays.

Basenotes Plus

From a perfumer:-
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett
    "If your fragrance requires shaking to keep oil and ethanol mixed then there is a fixed oil in it (a result of using an adulterated material) or it is otherwise at fault. No properly made fragrance requires shaking to keep the oils in solution.

On the other hand shaking a full bottle is completely harmless (unless the bottle leaks in which case you have a bigger problem). Shaking less than full bottles isn't a good idea as it will increase the exposure of the liquid to oxygen and therefore oxidation, which is bad for fragrances, particularly aldehydic or high-citrus perfumes, however the difference between shaken once or twice and never shaken is negligible. If you were shaking it every day it might cause it to age a bit faster . . . but nothing so dramatic as sitting it on a sunny windowsill would do."

I often roll a bottle that has been asleep for a long time, but wouldn't shake vigorously - I'd probably drop it!
    And handling old bottles is just a nice thing to do.
    But my treasured 'oldies' are mostly not full and also often aldehydic/high citrus.
    Last edited by lpp; 22nd March 2013 at 08:17 PM.