Code of Conduct

Smile Shalimar Ode a la Vanille sur la route de (du?) Mexique

Does anyone have information about the new Shalimar Ode a la Vanille due out mid-April? I'm looking forward to this one!

Default Re: Shalimar Ode a la Vanille sur la route de (du?) Mexique

Where did you hear about this one? I could not find anything when I googled it. I have the Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la route de Madagascar. It is devine.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Especially when it comes to perfumes ...

I have the original Ode a la Vanille and I wanted to buy the Madagascar, but I was too late. I emailed Guerlain to ask about ordering the Madagascar from the Paris boutique and heard about the new one in their reply.

Guerlainista

Wow! Are they making a new one every year now? I'm looking forward to this. I'm really hoping that this is Wasser's next step in a quest to recreate vintage Shalimar with modern restrictions. Madagascar was amazing in the opening - I'm interested to see what the heart and base are like in this new version.

Thanks for the info.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by maryl View Post
    I have the original Ode a la Vanille and I wanted to buy the Madagascar, but I was too late. I emailed Guerlain to ask about ordering the Madagascar from the Paris boutique and heard about the new one in their reply.
    That is exciting news! I'm guessing they are having a pretty good response to the whole Shalimar Vanilla lines. I can hardly tolerate "regular" Shalimar, but I find the Madagascar amazing! Perhaps they will continue to make "small batch" Shalimars of exceptional quality.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Especially when it comes to perfumes ...

That sounds interesting. I love Madagascar and could not find a bottle either. Perhaps this new one is just as lovely.
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Very interesting! l never got a chance to try the Madagascar one, but it sounded like a version l could love. Let's hope this one is just as good if not better!

lf anyone tries this, please do tell us your thoughts.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Another vanilla Shalimar? I own the Madagascar and love it. Looks like I'll need to make room in my sample holder.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you, Mr. G, for the picture. This is definitely one that I would like to try when it comes out.

Excellent news

This is a lovely perfume (EDP). I find it to smell similar to the current Shalimar EDP, but it's more of a skin scent and just a tad sweeter. Like Shalimar, this version is plush, intimate, velvety smooth. It seems more wearable than Shalimar...just lovely.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

It's a little 'friendlier' than Madagascar, which had a slightly 'noir' mood to it, but a little darker than the first Ode - grab it while you can. They're all good, these go way beyond being 'flankers', they are really intimate and considered variations on a theme and a great bonus for any serious fan of Shalimar. I only wish Guerlain would would get them to the main counters around the world, at least - I have no idea why they are turning up in department stores on the Gold Coast in Oz, or Sephora in Dubai and yet not at flagships where the full Les Parisiennes line are sold . . . it's not logical

These really aren't flankers. I agree with mr.reasonable.
    If anything I find them better than current Shalimar and just as good as my vintage (late 80s/early 90s) Shalimar.

I guess better is very subjective so I'll put it this way.
    If you enjoy perfume structure of decades preceding the 90s, you'll love Madagascar & Mexique.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    These really aren't flankers. I agree with mr.reasonable.
    If anything I find them better than current Shalimar and just as good as my vintage (late 80s/early 90s) Shalimar.

I guess better is very subjective so I'll put it this way.
    If you enjoy perfume structure of decades preceding the 90s, you'll love Madagascar & Mexique.
    Agree!

I can't & don't wear the current version of Shalimar. These I adore.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I saw one bottle left for sale in a local department store, I've always been intrigued by Shalimar and although it isn't one I would wear for various reasons (being feminine and smelling like it is meant for an older crowd) the vanilla series seems to be one I would thoroughly enjoy.

Can anyone comment if its more 'wearable' than the original and if a man could pull it off? I imagine this is much more of a gourmand smell?

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    Can anyone comment if its more 'wearable' than the original and if a man could pull it off? I imagine this is much more of a gourmand smell?
    If you don't feel like you could comfortably wear the regular Shalimar EdP or EdT, I don't think you'll feel differently about the Ode series.

I saw one bottle left for sale in a local department store, I've always been intrigued by Shalimar and although it isn't one I would wear for various reasons (being feminine and smelling like it is meant for an older crowd) the vanilla series seems to be one I would thoroughly enjoy.

Man pulling it off part is really getting cumbersome. If wondering whether something can be pulled off matters to you , then only you & your social circle can determine that.
    Therefore it's a moot point here.

Regarding it being a gourmand.
    I know vanilla has unfortunately become synonymous with sweetness & gourmand but real vanilla (whether natural or flawlessly replicated) doesn't feel gourmand .

If you've ever mashed up a vanilla bean from a pod with your fingers, you'll know what I mean.

I find current formulation Shalimar to be materially different than vintage Shalimar (from as early as the mid 90s) & from the Ode de la Vanille series.

for swap/sale:

Man pulling it off part is really getting cumbersome. If wondering whether something can be pulled off matters to you , then only you & your social circle can determine that.
    Therefore it's a moot point here.

Regarding it being a gourmand.
    I know vanilla has unfortunately become synonymous with sweetness & gourmand but real vanilla (whether natural or flawlessly replicated) doesn't feel gourmand .

If you've ever mashed up a vanilla bean from a pod with your fingers, you'll know what I mean.

I find current formulation Shalimar to be materially different than vintage Shalimar (from as early as the mid 90s) & from the Ode de la Vanille series.
    Thank you and sorry for that statement, I didn't mean to come off that way with my first point. I understand that perfume being associated with gender is often sociological and is meant for anyone. A better way of wording it is if it replicates any similarities to that of the original, which I find to be more difficult to wear than others.

Thanks Rubegon for that point. I'll still try to test it somewhere. I haven't smelt a good vanilla in ages and the comparison hedonist made with mashing up vanilla beans from a pod with one's fingers makes me wonder if maybe It'll be one I can appreciate for its smell, even if wearing it may not be a possibility.

Thank you and sorry for that statement, I didn't mean to come off that way with my first point. I understand that perfume being associated with gender is often sociological and is meant for anyone. A better way of wording it is if it replicates any similarities to that of the original, which I find to be more difficult to wear than others.

Thanks Rubegon for that point. I'll still try to test it somewhere. I haven't smelt a good vanilla in ages and the comparison hedonist made with mashing up vanilla beans from a pod with one's fingers makes me wonder if maybe It'll be one I can appreciate for its smell, even if wearing it may not be a possibility.
    Which original are you referring to?

Shalimar has reportedly been reformulated several times. I'm referring to bottles of Shalimar that are from the mid 80s to mid 90s.
    These two I find very different from current Shalimar.
    But closer to the OdlV series.

Maybe I just can't comprehend the not being able to wear it part. Why don't you just spray it on & go about your day.

I assure you no one will consciously judge you for wearing a woman's perfume.
    Even though technically it's not feminine because not floral. If we were to go by current social idiosyncrasies.

for swap/sale:

Guerlainista

Social context changes what one is comfortable wearing. When I'm in the UAE, I'll wear just about anything. When I'm in the states, at work - I limit what I wear during workdays significantly.

Hedonist can wear anything anywhere, so I can understand how it's hard for him to relate to stressing out about wearing something that is "too feminine".

As for me, I'll wear many things that I would have considered too feminine a couple of years ago in the evenings or on non-work days.

Not Shalimar, though. Not because it's too feminine - just because it's one of my wife's signatures.

Although the Odes are more vintage in feel, I think they are still easily recognizable as Shalimar - more to someone who knows the vintage. If the thought of someone noticing that you're wearing Shalimar in public stresses you out, you won't enjoy wearing the Odes. If you would enjoy wearing a great Shalimar at home, then I think you'll be happy with this purchase.

But you'd be disappointed if the "Vanille" in the name leads you to expect it's a gourmandy, unisex ShaLIDGEmar.
    Last edited by rubegon; 21st November 2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typos

Which original are you referring to?

Shalimar has reportedly been reformulated several times. I'm referring to bottles of Shalimar that are from the mid 80s to mid 90s.
    These two I find very different from current Shalimar.
    But closer to the OdlV series.

Maybe I just can't comprehend the not being able to wear it part. Why don't you just spray it on & go about your day.

I assure you no one will consciously judge you for wearing a woman's perfume.
    Even though technically it's not feminine because not floral. If we were to go by current social idiosyncrasies.
    I'm referring to the most recent one. I haven't had the chance to smell reformulations before the mid 2000s.

What I mean when I say hard to wear is that I may feel uncomfortable, not in the sense of being afraid of what people may say but in the sense of not feeling "right" if that makes sense.

Although it isn't technically a floral it has that old school vibe that makes it, at least for me, hard to pull off in many scenarios in a typical day for me. I've only wore the original twice at home and thats what I got.

Another point I may add, is that there are unfortunately no testers available, I'm not afraid of blind buying because even after several wearings if I may not enjoy it, I know someone else will.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Social context change what one is comfortable wearing. When I'm in the UAE, I'll wear just about anything. When I'm in the states, at work - I limit what I wear during workdays significantly.

Hedonist can wear anything anywhere, so it's I can understand how it's hard for him to relate to stressing out about wearing something that is "too feminine".

As for me, I'll wear many things that I would have considered too feminine a couple of years ago in the evenings or on non-work days.

Not Shalimar, though. Not because it's too feminine, though - just because it's one of my wife's signatures.

Although the Odes are more vintage in feel, I think they are still easily recognizable as Shalimar - more to someone who knows the vintage. If the thought of someone noticing that you're wearing Shalimar in public stresses you out, you won't enjoy wearing the Odes. If you would enjoy wearing a great Shalimar at home, then I think you'll be happy with this purchase.

But you'd be disappointed if the "Vanille" in the name leads you to expect it's a gourmandy, unisex ShaLIDGEmar.
    I'm referring to the most recent one. I haven't had the chance to smell reformulations before the mid 2000s.

What I mean when I say hard to wear is that I may feel uncomfortable, not in the sense of being afraid of what people may say but in the sense of not feeling "right" if that makes sense.

Although it isn't technically a floral it has that old school vibe that makes it, at least for me, hard to pull off in many scenarios in a typical day for me. I've only wore the original twice at home and thats what I got.

Another point I may add, is that there are unfortunately no testers available, I'm not afraid of blind buying because even after several wearings if I may not enjoy it, I know someone else will.
    Yeah that's true.
    It certainly isn't Bleu de Chanel or Aqua di Gio, you would stand out.
    If you did end up liking it, you could do what rubegon does.

for swap/sale:

Social context changes what one is comfortable wearing. When I'm in the UAE, I'll wear just about anything. When I'm in the states, at work - I limit what I wear during workdays significantly.

Hedonist can wear anything anywhere, so I can understand how it's hard for him to relate to stressing out about wearing something that is "too feminine".

Not Shalimar, though. Not because it's too feminine - just because it's one of my wife's signatures.

Good analogy and thank you for understanding what i meant

Makes sense, maybe it would be a good one to wear around when I'm alone or going out for the evening, it certainly doesn't seem like an "everyday" fragrance.

The thought of someone noticing me wearing Shalimar doesn't stress me out as most people wouldn't be able to recognize what it is, it just seems that it may be similar to Shalimar in the sense that there is a certain occasion and mood for wearing it.

I'm not expecting a LIDGE or A*men here and certainly hope it isn't, I would like to find a scent with gourmandish notes that is more mature and has a completely different feel than the typical gourmand scents most talk about.

Thank you both hedonist and rubegon for your input thus far btw !

I smelt this one again a couple of days ago. It's still Shalimar, of course, but for me it does have a softer, slightly more gourmand character (think creme anglaise/custard, but not so sweet) than the current Shalimar EdP. I also enjoy regular Shalimar for its rougher, mildly phenolic edge, so it just depends which facet you prefer. I don't think there's any perceptible difference in wearability.

The Bay got a tester of this so I was able to test it out.

Lovely. I've never had the opportunity to try the vintage Shalimar but this does have a retro vibe with a modern twist, due in part to the vanilla, which is, I may say, extraordinary.

I would gladly enjoy wearing it, but it would be one of those scents that I wear on occasion, most likely for nights out.

The Bay got an extra bottle in and am seriously considering grabbing it.

Fragrancenet has this in stock for about $45 if you use the 21% off coupon. They have it listed as the 2010 Ode a la Vanille but the picture looks like Mexique. Either way $45 is a good deal.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    Fragrancenet has this in stock for about $45 if you use the 21% off coupon. They have it listed as the 2010 Ode a la Vanille but the picture looks like Mexique. Either way $45 is a good deal.
    That's an excellent offer.
    It retails for $130.

for swap/sale:

That's an excellent offer.
    It retails for $130.
    Going through Ebates.com got me an additional 12% cash back for my purchase of Shalimar and a 6.7oz bottle of Habit Rouge EDT.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Guerlainista

Cool! I've never seen those big honkin' bottles of Habit Rouge outside of France.

Cool! I've never seen those big honkin' bottles of Habit Rouge outside of France.
    I was debating between the EDT and EdP for awhile. After coupons and Ebates the 6.7oz cost me around $44.

Guerlainista

I was debating between the EDT and EdP for awhile. After coupons and Ebates the 6.7oz cost me around $44.
    You can't beat that! And the answer to your dilemma is obvious - get both!

Basenotes Institution

Wow! Thanks
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wow! Thanks
    Unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment. It's worth keeping an eye on if interested in a bottle. I find that generally Fragrancenet updates their stock around 10am Central Time.

Basenotes Institution

Yeah, when I looked it was not there. Thanks Rev320.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Received my bottle of Shalimar Ode a La Vanille last week. To me it smells like a smoother and rounder version. Some of the sharpness of the citrus seems toned down.

For those that missed out on the Fragrancenet deal I found that BeautyEncounter has it currently for $65.95 with the current 15% off coupon. Usually there is a 20% off coupon floating around.

http://www.beautyencounter.com/buy/s...15507/251214/0

Basenotes Institution

The bottle (on Beauty Encounter) does not say the words 'Mexique' anywhere.

Is your bottle that you received Rev320 the Mexique flanker?

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The bottle (on Beauty Encounter) does not say the words 'Mexique' anywhere.

Is your bottle that you received Rev320 the Mexique flanker?
    It was the Mexique version. Well atleast that's what the box had on it. It doesn't look like Guerlain puts the full name on the bottles but when I did a batch code check it was made in 2013.

I looked up the UPC for the one on Beautyencounter and it pulled up as the Mexique version.
    Last edited by Rev320; 17th February 2014 at 09:11 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Just a heads up to say that Shalimar Ode Mexique is back in stock at Fragrancenet - around $46 with the 20% off coupon.