Code of Conduct

Default Layering Pure Agarwood Oil

Guys, I have two tiny bottles of real agarwood oil. I don't know their exact brand and origin, since they were given to me by a generous basenoter from India, who sent me these oils and lots of other attars.

One of the oud oils has intermediate grade, and its smell reminds me of the moment when a person removes the saddle from a horse. It is sharp, sharp, very sharp, leathery wood, sweaty and very anymalic.

The other oil is top Indian grade. It also reminds me of horses, but now it reminds me of the place where the horses stayed: the barnyard at my Grandpa's farm. It is faecal, dark woody, and has a balsamic character that was not present in the intermediate grade one.

I am trying to think of alternatives to enable me to wear these oils. I don't want to make the smell too obvious, because people in Brazil are not used to this kind of perfumes and would find it weird. The real oud oil is much different from the synthetic oud used in most alcohol based perfumes. Nobody I know has ever worn anything like this. SO, I think the best alternative would be to layer the oud oils with another perfume. This would keep the power of the oils in the background, so to speak.

I know I haven't listed my wardrobe on the site yet, so you cannot choose from it, but I would be very grateful if you told me your experiences with wearing oud oil, and whether you layered it with a perfume. If you have suggestions of perfumes I can layer with my oils, please tell me.

Default Re: Layering Pure Agarwood Oil

I'm not only a novice with oudh, but female too & people where I live don't wear it either

However, Rose is often used in mixes and layers well - as a top note it takes the initial 'edge' off the oudh - do you have anything rosy? Or citrus ?
    I recently found a lovely oudh mix which used lavender & vanilla.
    I'm not the best person to help you as I don't know too many male frags. to start with, but I'm sure that others will be able to help you more.
    After a while, you may find that you can wear it neat, although I will probably not reach that stage with the Indian stuff
    Last edited by lpp; 23rd March 2013 at 06:30 PM.

Top 2 ingredients to mix will be rose, followed by Sandalwood oil.

But pure is the gem, even if it means that u wearing it when you are on your own in your room...Personally I don't much care for what others say, as far I use these minimally on me, never recvd any complaints...

(FYI, I am a native of India - owned a few pure oud oils and sandalwood oils, nothing to compare them with IMO, shipping these are getting to be a huge PIA, customs destroyed my shipment last May; so I am currently out of stock on both these pure gems ).

Agree, Badarun, it can take a while to appreciate it, but then...

& join the disgruntled shipping victims club

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Agree, Badarun, it can take a while to appreciate it, but then...
    & join the disgruntled shipping victims club
    Living in Canada has been great - EXCEPT when customs f'ing destroy my parfums - lost Amouage Jubilation as well last yr, confiscated & destroyed was the letter I recvd & the duty I have paid for L'Artisan / Annick Goutal / Maison Francis Kurkdjian etc to name a few, which I grudgingly do not mind, as far as I receive the stuff...

Sympathy - we have probs too.
    Do u know Taha?
    http://www.agaraura.com/shipping.html
    Last edited by lpp; 23rd March 2013 at 08:49 PM.

My infatuation with oud oils center around those originating from Borneo, Cambodia and Thailand; althought I have experimented with layering them, I prefer to wear them neat. My only experience with Indian oud oils are with Agaraura's Purana and EnsarOud's Assam Organic, I find that the initial boldness of those settles on the skin after about 30 minutes or so, I like them neat when staying in, but to wear them out I prefer them layered. The most faithful companions of Indian oud oils are rose, musk and saffron, and in oud attars-sandalwood.
    When layering I usually use them to boost EDPs that are supposed to contain oud like Tom Ford Oud Wood and NdN, Creed Royal Oud, by Kilian Rose Oud, YSL M7, Amouage Homage and Molook, all of which I liked.
    There were also some rose/oud EDPs that those Indian oud oils clashed with such as Bond Harrods Oud, Creed Windsor, Le Labo Rose 31 and Caraceni 1913.

Thanks, PEARL

Thanks Pearl, that is what I needed to know.

Dependent

I find amber also blends magnificently with oud, as everyone in the Middle East already knows. But really the possibilities are endless.

All the suggestions above are excellent.

Some quick pointers:
    - if you want to tone down the animalic note, rose is a good option. The sharp crisp notes of rose will tame the more fecal elements (if your ouds display them).
    - if you want to smooth out, but not eliminate, the animalic note then sandalwood is a good idea.
    - using amber will neither tone down nor smooth out the animalic note. Rather, the rich spicy boldness of the amber will vie with the oud, so some of the fecal and/or leather notes will appear to get toned down.

Some other good options for Indian ouds: frankincense + texas cedar, frankincense + Muhuhu, Atlas cedar, Budhha wood.

Hope this helps!
    If you're looking for something specific, please feel free to ask, as I have a lot of experienced creating oud-based blends.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Top 2 ingredients to mix will be rose, followed by Sandalwood oil.

But pure is the gem, even if it means that u wearing it when you are on your own in your room...Personally I don't much care for what others say, as far I use these minimally on me, never recvd any complaints...

(FYI, I am a native of India - owned a few pure oud oils and sandalwood oils, nothing to compare them with IMO, shipping these are getting to be a huge PIA, customs destroyed my shipment last May; so I am currently out of stock on both these pure gems ).
    I agree...Montale Black Aoud is oud and rose...try putting a drop of rose oil and a drop of oud in your palm with unscented lotion...mix it with your finger and apply to your arms and chest.

I recommend you layer it with non oud oils. I do that to tone down agarwood. Most Oud places sell non oud oils. Rose, musc and Saffron are my favorites to use.

Thanks for the information, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Guys, I have two tiny bottles of real agarwood oil. I don't know their exact brand and origin, since they were given to me by a generous basenoter from India, who sent me these oils and lots of other attars.

One of the oud oils has intermediate grade, and its smell reminds me of the moment when a person removes the saddle from a horse. It is sharp, sharp, very sharp, leathery wood, sweaty and very anymalic.

The other oil is top Indian grade. It also reminds me of horses, but now it reminds me of the place where the horses stayed: the barnyard at my Grandpa's farm. It is faecal, dark woody, and has a balsamic character that was not present in the intermediate grade one.

I am trying to think of alternatives to enable me to wear these oils. I don't want to make the smell too obvious, because people in Brazil are not used to this kind of perfumes and would find it weird. The real oud oil is much different from the synthetic oud used in most alcohol based perfumes. Nobody I know has ever worn anything like this. SO, I think the best alternative would be to layer the oud oils with another perfume. This would keep the power of the oils in the background, so to speak.

I know I haven't listed my wardrobe on the site yet, so you cannot choose from it, but I would be very grateful if you told me your experiences with wearing oud oil, and whether you layered it with a perfume. If you have suggestions of perfumes I can layer with my oils, please tell me.
    Hi , Firstly can you let me know from where you sourced the oils as I am planning for a purchase. What I think is maybe you can add taifi rose so as to get floral oudh, which is pretty common. There is also an another option wherein you can add saffron and amber to it. Again I think it does make a difference in adding saffron essential oil and saffron absolute oil.

Again amber, it depends as whether you are going to try plant substitute which is pine seeds I guess in comparison to whale amber.

I think you can also try musk along with oudh which is also a common blend among Arabian houses. It also depends whether you are going to use ambreete seed oil or white musk. There are some white musks available among Arabian houses but I am not sure as whether they are synthetic or natural. If natural , I bet it should be from ambrette seed musk plant.

Good luck.
    Last edited by rvinodh199; 25th December 2013 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tahasyed View Post
    All the suggestions above are excellent.

Some quick pointers:
    - if you want to tone down the animalic note, rose is a good option. The sharp crisp notes of rose will tame the more fecal elements (if your ouds display them).
    - if you want to smooth out, but not eliminate, the animalic note then sandalwood is a good idea.
    - using amber will neither tone down nor smooth out the animalic note. Rather, the rich spicy boldness of the amber will vie with the oud, so some of the fecal and/or leather notes will appear to get toned down.

Some other good options for Indian ouds: frankincense + texas cedar, frankincense + Muhuhu, Atlas cedar, Budhha wood.

Hope this helps!
    If you're looking for something specific, please feel free to ask, as I have a lot of experienced creating oud-based blends.
    Hi Taha,

Nice. I have not seen anyone talking about Sandal with Oudh...! Have you personally tried it because I do have mysore sandal wood oil as I might give it a try. How do you see oudh with saffron or oudh + sandal + ( rose and/or saffron).

I am trying to move away from the normal sweet Cambodian oudh as I have realized Indian one has lots of depth and it becomes nice as you start using them.