Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default DHI not what I expected

Hey Basenotes pretty new to posting but I always refer to your expertise for frag advice. Anyway I just purchased Dior Homme Intense (based on hype) after months of searching for this stuff and sad to say, I am not impressed. I read that this was supposed to be a super sexy scent but all I get is another gourmand. Does last quite a long time but very close to the skin as it doesnt project the way i hoped. Is anyone else experiencing this? It is the reformulated batch but I heard it was just as good. Thinking about returning my bottle

Guerlainista

Default Re: DHI not what I expected

I like it a lot. It is what it is. Maybe it's just not for you.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Blog Entries

I kinda like it but i was expecting so much more. I have owned or own angel men, pure havane, rochas man, mj legend, hm by hanae mori, blue sugar, le male, euphoria armani diamond, and a few others that i would consider gourmandish types of frags but this seems to be the weakest one in terms of projection. Longevity is decent although very close to skin. i dnt know we'll see

Sound Scents

I am not a fan of it at all. I think it distinguishes itself as more than "just another gourmand" but the iris and powdery cocoa are just way too much and unappealing to my tastes.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

It's a perception thing. After spending so much time reading about it your expectations where set so high that DHI had no chance of meeting them. So when it was less than expected your perception skewed the other way and downgraded it to much worse than it is. Put the sample aside, forget about it and come back to it in a few months and try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    It's a perception thing. After spending so much time reading about it your expectations where set so high that DHI had no chance of meeting them. So when it was less than expected your perception skewed the other way and downgraded it to much worse than it is. Put the sample aside, forget about it and come back to it in a few months and try it again.
    I agree...when we hear hype about any fragrance, it is almost always somewhat of a let-down, nothing can live up to the hype. I must admit that DHI is better than Bn9 New Haarlem, but not as good as Gold 24 or TF TV

Depends a lot on the skin development of its notes. Whenever I tested this, the development of the classic Dior Homme iris accord, combined with a dark chcolate, slightly vanillic (also dark/burnt sugar) note are a clear winner- even though I don't much like, paradoxically, the initial Dior Homme EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I like it a lot. It is what it is. Maybe it's just not for you.
    Same here and agree.

Whilst it is sweet, I wouldn't really see it on the same level as the gourmands I've tried (Amen, LLAM, Rochas Man, etc) and find it projects quite strongly.

I've never adapted my nose to the gourmands. I hate smelling like chocolate, even though I love dark chocolate. My only gourmand (I am not even sure if it is actually a gourmand) is Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens. It is pure honey with woods.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I enjoy this fragrance a great deal and receive many compliments when wearing it. I guess it is not suited for your skin type. DHI is one of my favorites and will always be a part of my fragrance collection.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Datruth View Post
    . I read that this was supposed to be a super sexy scent but all I get is another gourmand.
    Some people find gourmands sexy. I don't. Neither do you, it seems.

I enjoy lots of gourmands and interesting fragrances but DHI just doesnt do it for me, i still can't get my head around why people want to smell like very strong make-up?? I sprayed some on my arm in the store next to my work and all 3 ladies i work with just thought it smelt odd lol.

Blog Entries

I believe you guys hit it on the nose. High expectations have seem to let me down a tad bit. Maybe its not suited for my skin but as you guys have said maybe I just need to test it a few more times before knocking it. The feedback i got on this one was "it smells like candy and Meh....soft but its ok". Strangely when I where Rochas or MJ Legend I receive an abundance of compliments. Its prob the hype factor that hinders my judgement

Maybe you expected too much? I think DHI is a great scent.
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

I think it can come off a bit too feminine or perfumey for some people. I didn't wear it enough and got rid of my vintage and reform bottles. Prefer Dior Homme, but it's still not something I can wear everyday.

This is why hype is what it is. Only your nose can decide.
    The Mumbai Elephant may well have the best cuisine in town, but if you don't like Indian food any number of other people's opinions aren't going to convince you otherwise.
    Personally I like DHI but it is no holy grail.

A lot of recommendations do not make sense to me either. I had a thread lately "Is it art or smell" where I try to rationalize with most of the recommendations on BH.