• Ambre 114

20 20.00%
  • Ambre Narguile

11 11.00%
  • Ambre Russe

16 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default POLL : Best/Favorite Amber based fragrance based on overall scent/projection/longevity/compliments?

Hello guys,
    I'm not exactly new to basenotes or fragrances. I have been looking at and referring to the forums on basenotes and have managed to build up a pretty decent designer fragrance collection. Lately, I have been really interested in niche fragrances, and would really like opinions of you'll basenoters before dropping the big buck on niche fragrances. And that's the reason I finally joined Basenotes.
    So you know the drill; please tell me which is your favorite amber based fragrance from the list provided. I have heard tons about all of these equally and would like to know which is the most loved amber.
    Also, please make your choice for a young professional guy who gives off a very mature vibe (Me!)
    Thanks guys
    Last edited by Aymu.ali; 23rd March 2013 at 08:34 AM.

Default Re: POLL : Best/Favorite Amber based fragrance?

Lancome Hypnose Homme - albeit not entirely all about amber, it has it, it's relatively contemporary frag and gives off the "mature" vibe.

Prada Amber - soapy, powdery sweet but mature

Baldessarini Ambre - mature, refined and somewhat classy - more for the evening.
    Last edited by Zgb; 23rd March 2013 at 09:44 AM.

Default Re: POLL : Best/Favorite Amber based fragrance based on overall scent/projection/longevity/complimen

YSL M7 has one of the best Amber drydown ever, but how many people can remember it?

Not to mention two underdogs:
    "Amber" by Arno Sorel, and
    "AmbreGris" by Alyssa Ashley.

In particular way, this last one: I can't believe no one knows "AmbreGris" by AA.

Default Re: POLL : Best/Favorite Amber based fragrance based on overall scent/projection/longevity/complimen

Sorry to see that Ambre Precieux by Maitre Parfumeur isn't included in this list.

It's a masterpiece to me.

I love Amber and I tested a lot of Amber-scents but this one stands out for me.

From your list I vote for Ambre Russe.

My favorite Amber is Bond no 9 New York Amber. It is addictive and projects like a monster. I know it isn't usually listed with the "Classics" but it is wonderful

From this list, a close competition between Prada Amber Intense and Ambre Sultan

Basenotes Plus

From the above list Ambre 114 followed by Amber Absolute and Ambre Russe.

Other favourites include -

Montale Blue Amber.
    Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve.
    Ramon Monegal Ambra di Luna.
    MPG Ambre Precieux.
    L'Artisan L'Eau d'Ambre.
    Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche.

HdP Ambre 114 is my favourite amber followed closely by Amber Mediterranea.

Amouage Opus VI

I really find amber to be pretty heavy and nauseating most of the time. Ironically. Amber Absolute is one of the heaviest ambers I've ever smelled, if not, the heaviest. But for some reason, it works for me.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Ambre 114

Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense is the only one I tried on the list. Not bad, but don't reach for it often.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Sorry to see that Ambre Precieux by Maitre Parfumeur isn't included in this list. It's a masterpiece to me.
    Same as the above, voted for Ambre 114 from Histoires as the one above isn't on your list...

Le Soirire de Diable by L' Antichambre - never thought I would use the words favorite and amber in the same sentence, but this one is. Normally don't like amber fragrances, But. Far from the standard amber it has some spice twists and turns in it.

Ambre Narguile is my favorite on your list.

Basenotes Plus

I voted for Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense - as I really like the quality-to-price ratio...and the nice use of myrrh and patchouli in the composition (among other notes) besides amber.

However, I love Annick Goutal's Ambre Fetiche (as another BN member noted). Brilliant!

I also like Ambre by L`Occitane en Provence and Voyage en Mediterranee Labdanum de Seville L`Occitane en Provence for the rockrose/cistus where amber originates from. Perhaps, not an actual 'listed' note as amber - but it takes you to a truly special place.

Amber is amazing on my wife's olive skin - so I find the affinity more with her, but indulge at times myself. A truly wonderful note in fragrance (especially with all the variations of 'how' amber comes to be). The amber note obtained in perfumes is sweet, resinous, cozy and warm, often rather powdery note recreated from a mix of balsams, usually labdanum, benzoin, vanilla, styrax and fir or a combination of some of these.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Last edited by ericrico; 23rd March 2013 at 05:29 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Ambre Nuit by Dior fits your description better than any of these IMO.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

My favourites for potent ambers are:

Le Labo - Labdanum 18
    Montale - Blue Amber
    PdN - Sacrebleu
    Musc Ravageur (I always perceive it more as an amber than a musc scent)
    Dior - Ambre Nuit

Ambre Russe, Ambre d'Carthage and Ambre Sultan would come second.
    Last edited by bonsai; 23rd March 2013 at 06:51 PM.

Ambre 114 for me, as the only one I have ever gotten a compliment on. And it is long lasting, without being so intense and forward.

Voted for Ambre Sultan from this list, but my favorite amber is MPG Ambre Précieux.

Guerlainista

My favorite amber is Ambre Sultan. It's the one I judge others against.

i don't think Ambre Narguile is an amber, despite the name. It's much more a gourmand to my nose.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Sorry to see that Ambre Precieux by Maitre Parfumeur isn't included in this list.

It's a masterpiece to me.

I love Amber and I tested a lot of Amber-scents but this one stands out for me.

From your list I vote for Ambre Russe.
    Bingo

My favorites; Amber Absolute, followed by Ambre Sultan.

Not a fan of Ambre Russe or Ambre Narguile.

I like a more resinous deep amber.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

treeman5823

Ambre 114 is excellent.

The SULTAN is the leader.

I voted for Amber Absolute / Ambre 114. Two incredible amber fragrances.

However, as some have noted, you are missing some very good ones. Like:

Baldessarini Ambre
    Dolce & Gabbana The One
    Armani Prive Ambre Orient
    L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Amouage Opus VI
    Profumi del Forte - Ambra Mediterranea
    Bond No. 9 New York Amber
    by Kilian Amber Oud
    Dior Ambre Nuit

I would highly recommend giving these a try.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    i don't think Ambre Narguile is an amber, despite the name. It's much more a gourmand to my nose.
    Agree with this. Smells like apple pie. A bit too sweet for me.

Ambre Topkapi, Ambre Nuit, LDDM, Opus VI. None of which are on the list.

I'm surprised LDDM doesn't get mentioned more often in Amber polls. LDDM and Ambre Sultan are so similar, beginning spicy and ending at a rich amber, though I strongly prefer LDDM's dusty blend of spices. It's funny how easily people are led by a name. Tauer could have easily named LDDM "Ambre Marocain" or Ambre anything, really.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Wore Ambre Precieux tonight for the first time and was very impressed. Light for an amber, slightly sweet with some softness probably due to the vanilla backbone in the dry down. Considering buying a bottle since it is pretty cheap.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    LDDM and Ambre Sultan are so similar, beginning spicy and ending at a rich amber.
    IMO, or To My Nose, they are different. Ambre Sultan is much much simpler in its structure than LDDM. LDDM has a more complex pyramid of notes. LDDM is also creamier, while the Sultan is sharper.

From your list, Ambre Sultan other the reference amber Versilia Vintage - Ambra Mediterranea by Profumi del Forte.

for swap/sale:

L'Air du Desert Marocain followed by Ambre 114

Voted for the Prada, but I'd really rather have lifetime supplies of Gucci Pour Homme and Gaultier 2. And whoever said Musc Ravageur, I second that.

From your list, i'll go for Ambre 114 and Ambre sultan

other great contenders that many have already mentioned are Ambre Précieux, Versilia Vintage - Ambra Mediterranea by Profumi del Forte and L'Air du Desert Marocain

Also, Black Amber by Agonist is interesting as well
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Ambra di Luna-Ramon Monegal
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Ambre Précieux

Hey guys. Thanks everyone for responding.
    I already own Prada Amber Intense. I have tried Ambre Sultan and was looking to purchase it soon. But looks like I have to try a couple other ambers before buying one.
    Also, sorry for not adding Ambre Preciuex to the list. Didn't realize its so good and so popular.
    But, which of these is the best compliment getter? I'm assuming the more gourmandish a fragrance is, the more attractive it is to the ladies. (for a mature 23 year old)
    Anyways, thanks again for welcoming me on Basenotes!
    And I must say the frag community is pretty darn active and prompt. I didn't expect the number of responses in just about a day!

From your list: Ambre 114

When you get a chance, try a sample of Profumum's Ambra Aurea
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Quote Originally Posted by Aymu.ali View Post
    But, which of these is the best compliment getter?
    ...from the ambers I wore: Ambre Précieux...!

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Ambre Précieux

Is that the new bottle or old?

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Is that the new bottle or old?
    ...it's supposed to be a 200ml bottle in a silk cover (against the influence of light I guess) bought three/four years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Aymu.ali View Post
    But, which of these is the best compliment getter? I'm assuming the more gourmandish a fragrance is, the more attractive it is to the ladies. (for a mature 23 year old)
    The only amber fragrances that I get compliments with are Bond No. 9 New York Amber and LDDM. Big compliment getters. None of the other ones really.

Good Luck

From your list Ambre 114 but my reference ambers are Versilia Vintage Ambra Mediterranea and Ambre Precieux.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Les Nombres d'Or-Oud by Mona di Orio (in my opinion this is basically an ambery fragrance and a wonderful one)
    Les Nombres d'Or- Ambre by Mona di Orio
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Ambra Nera Farmacia Ss. Annunziata
    Mazzolari Ambra
    Versilia Vintage Ambra Mediterranea
    Ambre Precieux
    By Kilian Amber Oud

Quote Originally Posted by dianabi View Post
    Amouage Opus VI
    obviously! this is the final word in "amber". it is, however, 270 euros.....

I know, but sometimes just a decant of the finest juice can be enough.

Amber sultan, spicy amber, just gorgeous

Ambra Aurea Profumum

Having tried them all, and many many more (major Amber fan here), Amber Absolute is BY FAR my favorite. Perfumerie Generale's L'Ombre Fauve follows it, then Ambre Sultan. Ambre 114 is decent enough, and is probably the closest smelling to actual amber itself (which has a slightly rubbery aspect to it), but it's just too bland and sits too low on me to even compete with Absolute, Fauve, and Sultan.

Ambre 114

Quote Originally Posted by dianabi View Post
    Amouage Opus VI
    Just had the chance to sample this recently. More than 24 hours later, and after two showers, my sister could still smell this on me when I walked into the room. Two days later it was still quite apparent on my skin. Some pretty persistent stuff alright !

Opus VI is great, but isn't it incense scent?

I based it strictly on the one I liked, which is the only reason you should wear any of them.

Ambre Sultan

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Ambre Sultan: Spicy Amber, image I got from wearing this fantastic scent is 'Exotic Bazaar in the Oasis', really exotic.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Ambre Sultan.

Amber Absolute - absolutely.

Amber Mediterranea and Ambre Sultan.

MPG's Ambre Precieux!!!
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

Banned
    Blog Entries

Tom Ford's Masterpiece!!

for me, ambre sultan and ambre 114 are two sides of the same coin.

Mi vote is for Ambre Nuit although in projection and longevity, other proposals mentiones in the poll win by many goals.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

So many good ones. But the Sultan from Uncle Serge is my personal favorite. I have Opus VI coming and hear that is quite a scent. So far Ambre Preciex by MPG is a shade behind my front runner.