Code of Conduct

Thumbs up SOTD, Saturday March 23rd, 2013

Hello everyone. Have all a great and happy day. Best to all

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Default Re: SOTD, Saturday March 23rd, 2013

My newsletter sample of Serge Lutens La Fille de Berlin arrived yesterday, giving it a try now.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Yesterday's synch seems rather ironic considering the conditions here now - winter is back with a vengeance !.

Decided not to venture forth and postponed our London sampling trip until next weekend. Occupying time constructively in the kitchen instead - a chicken madras bubbles away in the slow cooker, bakewell tart in the oven, and a tomato soup with chilli and basil is ready for heating shortly. The chianti will no doubt make a reappearance later .

SotD is Grossmith Golden Chypre.

Enjoy your day, folks

Hello. Enjoy your weekend!
    sample

Hello all. Huitieme Art Myrrhaid.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Attrape Coeur for me, wish you all a lovely day.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Afternoon All,

I postponed a trip into town, too. The wind and sleet aren't terribly enticing.
    Guerlain Li¨ - vintage extrait that was kindly gifted me by Larimar some time back. Have a testing strip with Habit Rouge on my desk also. I revisit the latter from time to time and whilst it is growing on me, I'm still not convinced I'd reach for it often.

Have a lovely Saturday, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Decided not to venture forth and postponed our London sampling trip until next weekend. Occupying time constructively in the kitchen instead - a chicken madras bubbles away in the slow cooker, bakewell tart in the oven, and a tomato soup with chilli and basil is ready for heating shortly. The chianti will no doubt make a reappearance later .
    Oh yum! What time should I show up for dinner Jon? I'm thinking if I leave NYC right now I might make it to Hertfordshire by evening.

I'm in By Kilian's Back to Black.
    Last edited by bogsc; 23rd March 2013 at 01:41 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Sorry winter is lingering for you also, Jon. We might get snow/ mixed precipitation Monday. This is pretty normal weather for March here in CT, but even so, we are all weary of it.

Daughter wants to visit the mall-- even with her immobilized leg-- so I'm holding off on scent. Maybe the Malone counter will have finally gotten the last of the 4 Sugar and Spice collection scents in for me to sniff (the redcurrants one.)

Yes, we have yet another snowstorm predicted here, yuck. But, I did get to see my first crocus blooms in the yard yesterday! The plants and birds know spring is coming even if we don't. Have also had crows hanging around the vegetable bed, wondering where all the seeds are. Little do they know, they won't be eating my seeds, anyway!

No.5 EDT today. Everyone, enjoy the weekend as much as the obnoxious weather allows!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Before gym: Midnight in Paris. After gym: Dior Homme Intense.

Gatsby by Pacoma Parfums

Well, up here in the frozen north there's enough snow to have completely hidden the bench and table in the garden and there's 11" on the roof of my car, which was cleared last night. That will be a day of hanging around in the house then, since my mobility isn't good enough to dig out the car, fit the chains and then get around all of the abandoned cars to get onto the main road. Hey ho.

I've decided that it's going to be spring so I'm wearing Flower by Kenzo.

Its snowing lightly in London, but I'm determined to trek to Les Senteurs! Onwards!

Good afternoon.

Farnesiana in a grey, overcast day.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Plus

Jon, it's Winter redux here in St Louis too. We're expecting another winter storm, 5-8" of snow expected.

30 Roses, the Jo Malones are really interesting. I liked every one of them, which is the exact opposite of most of JM's. My favorites were Ginger Biscuit & Lemon Tart. The SA said that they were already sold out of Lemon Tart. The Bitter Orange & Chocolate is selling well too.

Hope your girl is feeling better.

My SOTD is FM's Carnal Flower. Yeah, one more tuberose scent I can wear!!! I bought this from seattlelight here on basenotes. The Fracas didn't survive the shipment tho'.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Hello all,

Cold & wet here but no snow. Wore 1000 Kisses for work today. Feeling oddly grumpy & tired, but hope to get my second wind for going out tonight after a bit of relaxation.

Stay warm & safe, everyone!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Sampling Diorella EDT. Very crisp and green. I don't think that I wear green scents well- nor do I prefer them- but it's still nice.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Intended to go to Brighton ...but we have changed our minds due to to cold weather.

Indochine by PG

Stay safe all.
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Thank you, my special cuties, for wishing me "hōm voyage" for my staycation.
    The back of this postcard reads:
    Wish you were here.

Yesterday:
    Guerlain Les Voyages Olfactifs, Une Ville, Un Parfum: Tokyo
    Of the collection of samples that just arrived, I tried Tokyo first because it was the one I was most hopeful about--hopeful because (A) it's a pricey number from the pretty-darn-reliable House of Guerlain; (2) the scent supposedly represents the shy nature of Japanese fragrance preferences, and I like mild frags; and (III) its notes are among my favorite, most notably green tea.
    At the opening, a flash of citrus and a momentary pause of green tea are quickly interfered with. The interrupter is vanilla, but I could be persuaded to believe tonka or almond are present. For the next several minutes I get a little jasmine, but what I am observing with every inhalation is that vanilla is the wrong kind of sweetening for green tea.
    Overall, the fragrance is timid. The heart and base notes are a nice vanilla. Yawn.

Today:
    Tom Ford Jasmin Rouge
    At first I think JR could rival my favorite, Donna Karan's Essence Jasmine. But it, instead, comes in second as it's less vibrant. The Tom Ford quality is there, but the high-octane twang you find in Black Orchid and Tuscan Leather is not, so I'm mildly disappointed. However, an advantage for some might be that JR is in a slightly lower key signature than fresh or green jasmines, and thus I think it's a fine choice for men who want a jasmine that doesn't come off too girly. The only additional note from the official list that I could pick out individually might be neroli. Final assessment: When you're hunting jasmine-dominant scents, include this beauty in your trials.
    Notes: bergamot, mandarin, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, white pepper; broom flower, jasmine sambac, neroli, ylang-yland, clary sage; Mexican vanilla, leather, woody notes, amber, labdanum.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning! The weather is sunny here but with a slight chance of snow later.

SotD is By Kilian Good Girl Gone Bad.

Have a great weekend!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 23rd March 2013 at 08:08 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Bogart pour Homme this AM
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    30 Roses, the Jo Malones are really interesting. I liked every one of them, which is the exact opposite of most of JM's. My favorites were Ginger Biscuit & Lemon Tart. The SA said that they were already sold out of Lemon Tart. The Bitter Orange & Chocolate is selling well too.

Hope your girl is feeling better.
    Thanks, RHM-- she changed her mind about the mall, though so I sprayed on (dabbed it last time) my sample of Aqua Allegoria Nerolia Bianca for my SotD, to test it further.

She wanted to shop for new jeans but decided it was too much of a nuisance with having to take the knee immobilizer on and off.

30R., RHM and Kiliwia -- really so? I need to test them too, then. I still have to find a Jo Malone fragrance to buy a bottle of. I know, not the case with either of you.

Finishing sampling Ramon Monegal for the dedicated thread/pass. Mon Patchouli and Cherry Musk today.

Good morning, everyone!

Almost noon, I suppose ...it's warm here but it's been raining and drizzling all morning, providing a perfect backdrop/excuse for sleeping in ...I sure do love a lazy, rainy Saturday morning, and I feel like my perfume enhances it just perfectly. I'm in a very sultry and slightly carnal combo of Kiehl's Original Musk Oil and Shalimar Parfum Initial ...it's amazing. Seriously, y'all need to try this.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by bogsc View Post
    Oh yum! What time should I show up for dinner Jon? I'm thinking if I leave NYC right now I might make it to Hertfordshire by evening.
    You would be very welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    At first I think JR could rival my favorite
    Mrs Q, I am touched

SotE - Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo.

LOL at JR, not TF Jasmin Rouge. "Eagle eye, too!"

Basenotes Plus

Twolf, I liked the Jo Malones (which is weird for me) but I'm so annoyed by the $60.00 price tag for 30 mls. That alone stops me from purchasing. I don't like the obvious marketing ploy of a huge price for a small amount & a more (relatively) reasonable price for the larger bottle.
    For that reason, I have only two 100 ml bottles of JM in my wardrobe. One of them I bought at a discounters for $80. The only 30 ml JM I own was a gift.

Still loving the Carnal Flower.

Blog Entries

Sticking with Gorilla Perfumes in Ginger this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Hermes Hiris today!

VintagePoison, you smell great! I love that one!

Today, since it is chilly and very windy here, Le Labo Rose 31. I will be passing my sample on to a non-perfume friend who has fallen for my left over sample of Iris 39. I will see what she thinks of this one.

Jon, could you host a BN get together? You have the best food and wine

Guerlain's Jicky extract.

I feel hypnotized...

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    30R., RHM and Kiliwia -- really so? I need to test them too, then....
    Not me, no...I didn't like the 4 scents from the Sugar and Spice collection that I tried. I'm just curious about the one I haven't smelled yet.

I'm testing a sample of Tom Ford Champaca Absolute. So far, apart from the beginnings of a scent-induced headache, I'm not getting much out of the experience.

Rough night. Nothing serious, just drama. If it's not one thing it's another; teenager finally decided to be like a teenager, LOL. Stressed. Missed my workout this morning to take the kids to rehearsal for singing at the church by their school; I am like a dog or a little kid, need physical activity to work off stress, forced inactivity I get antsy and nervous. Yuck. Only by engaging my body can I turn off the mind for a while, never got the hang of meditating, or not yet at least.

Started in a some Neil Morris City Rain; washed to go get previously scheduled but decidedly timely massage, which certainly helped. thinking to use a little of the Black Orchid, it's nice. Feeling floral I guess!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Jon, could you host a BN get together? You have the best food and wine

Come on over ...

summer means fireflys

It's cold and snowing and I have another day at home with no plans to leave ... I'm wearing Black Cashmere.

Happy Saturday, everyone!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Institution

Spent the day at the gym and by the pool here (hot and humid here in Miami) in:

Cologne Blanche by Christian Dior (last of my decant)

I used to be bored by this now I find it very comforting and engaging - there is a whiff of ginger I get from this that is very pleasing. Warm bear hugs to all that need them. I'm off to dinner (a banquet actually) with my aunt for the evening.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Jon, once again, you have a mouth-watering menu. Although I've not yet found a chianti that I can warm up to. For me, chianti:wine :: Chanel:fragrance. Ah, well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grinning Soul View Post
    I'm testing a sample of Tom Ford Champaca Absolute. So far, apart from the beginnings of a scent-induced headache, I'm not getting much out of the experience.
    The same thing happened to me. I liked it for the first 10 seconds, then it went all screechy and stayed that way. I think my right eye even twitched.

Again with the Parfums DelRae Mythique. Absolutely loving this stuff. Whoever described this as a "cloud of chic" was exactly right. *This* is what I wish Chanels smelled like for me.

Oh, yeah. It's snowing again here, too.

Angel Lily

Basenotes Plus

SotE is A Lab on Fire What We Do In Paris Is Secret.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

sotd: Vintage 80's balisarino
    Much like hearing a piece of music that can instantly take you back to a certain time and place, the faintest trace of a fragrance can evoke strong memories and powerful reactions from within.-Roja Dove

Basenotes Plus

The snow is going to start tonight, with the snow totals inching upwards with each forecast. I have to work tomorrow, in order to have M-Sat off to visit with my niece. Sofie is so excited her cousin is coming to visit. We're going to have a blast!

Still wearin' the delightful Carnal Flower! For whatever reason, I have a very rocky relationship with tuberose. It usually smells like gasoline or waxy, fake flowers. There was only one I truly loved & that was Fracas. It turned into this soft, snuggly scent on me, never the powerhouse described by other.

Carnal Flower is doing the same thing: it's soft and well, lovely. Nothing big or off-putting about it. I like it, I really, really do!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Sote; tobacco vanille

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Kenzo Power tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

LOL about ExtremeK's eye.

Cello, right on! I feel like I know the place, the food, the scents, even his aviator's jacket! JR, how far away is South London (Wadsworth -- Wimbledon) from you?

LOL about ExtremeK's eye.
    I kid you not, Twolf. There was twitching, plus a headache. It was quite an impressive reaction.

So, at long last, I'm trying the re-issued Bandit EDP. LOVED the first five minutes. But I think my skin must be broken. Because now it's just a soapy ol' carnation. Where's the ROAR?

She is tame on me, this one.

RHM, I am so with you on Carnal Flower. It's one of my all-time favorites, and one that I love to wear. There's never any struggle over who's the alpha in our relationship.

Basenotes Plus

JR, how far away is South London (Wadsworth -- Wimbledon) from you?
    Probably about an hour on public transport via central London - I'd guess approximately 30 miles