Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's your maximum amount of sprays on low projecting/lasting fragrances?

Pretty self explanatory question. Also, if you know a fragrance to be amazing but 'weak', do you buy it and overspray (if so how much) or do you just not buy it.
    "To be overcome by the fragrance of flowers is a delectable form of defeat." - Beverley Nichols

Default Re: What's your maximum amount of sprays on low projecting/lasting fragrances?

I tend to just be content with the short lived experience, and maybe spray a bit on my clothes too.

Default Re: What's your maximum amount of sprays on low projecting/lasting fragrances?

Three sprays and yes, I buy it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

stuff like 360 white can't be oversprayed. give it 8-12.

If one fragrance is really weak, I'd only rarely surpass the maximum amount of 20 sprays.

Dependent

Most I've ever done is 5. I think I tend to be an undersprayer though.
    Currently wearing: Original Cologne by Creed

About 5 to 7 sprays
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

I do about 3-4 sprays on my chest and 3 on my shirt. That will last all day for me.
    Currently wearing: Vohina by Huitième Art

Just spray till your finger hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I laughed.
    "To be overcome by the fragrance of flowers is a delectable form of defeat." - Beverley Nichols

three

The are some truly excellent fragrances which are weak/low projecting. I am willing to spray a lot, maybe over ten sprays.

- - - Updated - - -

The are some truly excellent fragrances which are weak/low projecting. I am willing to spray a lot, maybe over ten sprays.

I usually do 5-7 sprays, if the fragrance is weak maybe 10-15.

Chuckle chuckle
    for swap/sale:

Basenotes Member

I do six... two on the chest, two on the neck and one on each wrist.

I get occasional whiffs till around five hours, so I guess not too bad.

There's no law that says you should only spray x number of times. It's not over spraying if that's what it takes to get the effect you want.

So yes, I will still buy it, and spray as much as it takes to get the effect I want. 10, 20 ... whatever.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm a three spray guy. The maximum I've ever done is five. If five sprays isn't enough, the scent isn't worth buying.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    There's no law that says you should only spray x number of times. It's not over spraying if that's what it takes to get the effect you want.

So yes, I will still buy it, and spray as much as it takes to get the effect I want. 10, 20 ... whatever.
    This... =)
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I'm a three spray guy. The maximum I've ever done is five. If five sprays isn't enough, the scent isn't worth buying.
    This
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

With Chanel Eau de Cologne or Hermes Eau de Cologne (the old one), there's no limit. "Until your finger hurts" ftw.
    Last edited by Wheatstraw2; 24th March 2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: an ultra-rare Wheatstraw typo
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

It's not over spraying if that's what it takes to get the effect you want.
    I find that one cannot not really have to objectivity to know if they are presenting the effect that they want when it comes to perfumes. Olfactory fatigue and all that. I have Bulgari Pour Homme. I've done 3 sprays... I might consider 4.

Usually 12 sprays, though possibly 15 if going out somewhere.

To maximize longevity, spray six sprays and remember where they were sprayed, wait 30 seconds or so, then repeat sprays exactly over the previous sprays. I call this double dosing, though it could just as easily be called double usage rate.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by sroreilly View Post
    I find that one cannot not really have to objectivity to know if they are presenting the effect that they want when it comes to perfumes. Olfactory fatigue and all that. I have Bulgari Pour Homme. I've done 3 sprays... I might consider 4.
    I'm not completely certain I understand what you're trying to say, but I think I get the idea. I'm very familiar with the concept of olfactory fatigue, by the way.

Some food for thought:
    Not every fragrance on every person has the same effect as your Bulgari has when you wear it.
    Some people may think its perfectly acceptable to radiate more scent than you think is appropriate.

Thanks for the input though. It's always interesting to hear a unique and well-considered opinion.

I might get up to 5-6 on lighter scents but not very often.

5 if it's light (Gucci Pour Homme II). 3 to 4 if it's a fresh/citrus fragrance (Cool Water). 2 to 3 with a decent projecting and lasting fragrance. 2 on something very strong. 1 spray Aventus.

Yes, me too!
    Currently wearing: 7 Loewe Natural by Loewe

Basenotes Member

Just curious...

Which fragrances do you guys use those 10 - 20 sprays?

Can you guys name a couple bottles?

The Guerlain EdCs (Imperiale, Eau du Coq, etc.) can be applied at whatever level you wish. You can literally spray until your entire body is damp and then scrub down with a towel as a substitute for bathing. The alcohol will act as a solvent to break down the excess oils on your skin and kill any odorous bacteria, leaving you clean and fragrant. They were made to do this - Napoleon went through liters of Imperiale in this way. This is why they dissipate so quickly - they are meant to be bath products, not perfumes, per se. Few people use them this way now.

The Chanel EdC is similar. I've just freshened up with it - about 15 sprays. I sometimes use similar amounts of very vintage Habit Rouge EdC, but given its scarcity, this is a rare indulgence. I expect vintage Vetiver would be the same.

As for fragrances that are meant to last all day, something like L'Eau d'Hiver can be applied at pretty heavy levels without being overwhelming. I think many of Jean Claude Ellena's more transparent creations are this way. Several of the Hermessence line (not Ambre Narguile, though).

Several L'Artisan can be applied very heavily, too. Patchouli Patch, for example. Several others for sure.

The CB I Hate Perfume water perfumes can be soaked in as well. I wore 10+ sprays of Black March last night, and it was far from overwhelming. This is true of water perfumes in general, I think.

Power Where You Need It

This is the way to go

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

The most I've ever done is 5. Usually 3-4 depending on how weak it is.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed