Code of Conduct

Default What's your maximum amount of sprays on low projecting/lasting fragrances?

Pretty self explanatory question. Also, if you know a fragrance to be amazing but 'weak', do you buy it and overspray (if so how much) or do you just not buy it.
    "To be overcome by the fragrance of flowers is a delectable form of defeat." - Beverley Nichols

Default Re: What's your maximum amount of sprays on low projecting/lasting fragrances?

I tend to just be content with the short lived experience, and maybe spray a bit on my clothes too.

Default Re: What's your maximum amount of sprays on low projecting/lasting fragrances?

Three sprays and yes, I buy it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

stuff like 360 white can't be oversprayed. give it 8-12.

If one fragrance is really weak, I'd only rarely surpass the maximum amount of 20 sprays.

Most I've ever done is 5. I think I tend to be an undersprayer though.

About 5 to 7 sprays

I do about 3-4 sprays on my chest and 3 on my shirt. That will last all day for me.

Just spray till your finger hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I laughed.
    "To be overcome by the fragrance of flowers is a delectable form of defeat." - Beverley Nichols

three

The are some truly excellent fragrances which are weak/low projecting. I am willing to spray a lot, maybe over ten sprays.

- - - Updated - - -

The are some truly excellent fragrances which are weak/low projecting. I am willing to spray a lot, maybe over ten sprays.

I usually do 5-7 sprays, if the fragrance is weak maybe 10-15.

Chuckle chuckle

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Member

I do six... two on the chest, two on the neck and one on each wrist.

I get occasional whiffs till around five hours, so I guess not too bad.

There's no law that says you should only spray x number of times. It's not over spraying if that's what it takes to get the effect you want.

So yes, I will still buy it, and spray as much as it takes to get the effect I want. 10, 20 ... whatever.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm a three spray guy. The maximum I've ever done is five. If five sprays isn't enough, the scent isn't worth buying.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    There's no law that says you should only spray x number of times. It's not over spraying if that's what it takes to get the effect you want.

So yes, I will still buy it, and spray as much as it takes to get the effect I want. 10, 20 ... whatever.
    This... =)
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I'm a three spray guy. The maximum I've ever done is five. If five sprays isn't enough, the scent isn't worth buying.
    This
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

With Chanel Eau de Cologne or Hermes Eau de Cologne (the old one), there's no limit. "Until your finger hurts" ftw.
    Last edited by Wheatstraw2; 24th March 2013 at 01:10 AM. Reason: an ultra-rare Wheatstraw typo

It's not over spraying if that's what it takes to get the effect you want.
    I find that one cannot not really have to objectivity to know if they are presenting the effect that they want when it comes to perfumes. Olfactory fatigue and all that. I have Bulgari Pour Homme. I've done 3 sprays... I might consider 4.

Usually 12 sprays, though possibly 15 if going out somewhere.

To maximize longevity, spray six sprays and remember where they were sprayed, wait 30 seconds or so, then repeat sprays exactly over the previous sprays. I call this double dosing, though it could just as easily be called double usage rate.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by sroreilly View Post
    I find that one cannot not really have to objectivity to know if they are presenting the effect that they want when it comes to perfumes. Olfactory fatigue and all that. I have Bulgari Pour Homme. I've done 3 sprays... I might consider 4.
    I'm not completely certain I understand what you're trying to say, but I think I get the idea. I'm very familiar with the concept of olfactory fatigue, by the way.

Some food for thought:
    Not every fragrance on every person has the same effect as your Bulgari has when you wear it.
    Some people may think its perfectly acceptable to radiate more scent than you think is appropriate.

Thanks for the input though. It's always interesting to hear a unique and well-considered opinion.

I might get up to 5-6 on lighter scents but not very often.

5 if it's light (Gucci Pour Homme II). 3 to 4 if it's a fresh/citrus fragrance (Cool Water). 2 to 3 with a decent projecting and lasting fragrance. 2 on something very strong. 1 spray Aventus.

Yes, me too!

Basenotes Member

Just curious...

Which fragrances do you guys use those 10 - 20 sprays?

Can you guys name a couple bottles?

The Guerlain EdCs (Imperiale, Eau du Coq, etc.) can be applied at whatever level you wish. You can literally spray until your entire body is damp and then scrub down with a towel as a substitute for bathing. The alcohol will act as a solvent to break down the excess oils on your skin and kill any odorous bacteria, leaving you clean and fragrant. They were made to do this - Napoleon went through liters of Imperiale in this way. This is why they dissipate so quickly - they are meant to be bath products, not perfumes, per se. Few people use them this way now.

The Chanel EdC is similar. I've just freshened up with it - about 15 sprays. I sometimes use similar amounts of very vintage Habit Rouge EdC, but given its scarcity, this is a rare indulgence. I expect vintage Vetiver would be the same.

As for fragrances that are meant to last all day, something like L'Eau d'Hiver can be applied at pretty heavy levels without being overwhelming. I think many of Jean Claude Ellena's more transparent creations are this way. Several of the Hermessence line (not Ambre Narguile, though).

Several L'Artisan can be applied very heavily, too. Patchouli Patch, for example. Several others for sure.

The CB I Hate Perfume water perfumes can be soaked in as well. I wore 10+ sprays of Black March last night, and it was far from overwhelming. This is true of water perfumes in general, I think.

This is the way to go

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

The most I've ever done is 5. Usually 3-4 depending on how weak it is.

The Guerlain EdCs (Imperiale, Eau du Coq, etc.) can be applied at whatever level you wish. You can literally spray until your entire body is damp and then scrub down with a towel as a substitute for bathing. The alcohol will act as a solvent to break down the excess oils on your skin and kill any odorous bacteria, leaving you clean and fragrant. They were made to do this - Napoleon went through liters of Imperiale in this way. This is why they dissipate so quickly - they are meant to be bath products, not perfumes, per se. Few people use them this way now.

The Chanel EdC is similar. I've just freshened up with it - about 15 sprays. I sometimes use similar amounts of very vintage Habit Rouge EdC, but given its scarcity, this is a rare indulgence. I expect vintage Vetiver would be the same.

As for fragrances that are meant to last all day, something like L'Eau d'Hiver can be applied at pretty heavy levels without being overwhelming. I think many of Jean Claude Ellena's more transparent creations are this way. Several of the Hermessence line (not Ambre Narguile, though).

Several L'Artisan can be applied very heavily, too. Patchouli Patch, for example. Several others for sure.

The CB I Hate Perfume water perfumes can be soaked in as well. I wore 10+ sprays of Black March last night, and it was far from overwhelming. This is true of water perfumes in general, I think.
    I just found another one - vintage Monsieur de Givenchy Eau de Toilette.

I just got this and wore it tonight. I initially did about 10 sprays, but it was very subtle after a few minutes. My wife confirmed - sitting next to me on the couch she couldn't tell that I was wearing fragrance at all until she sniffed my chest up close. I later bombed over it with about another 8 sprays. It's still very close to the skin - not detectable at arms length, but I'm getting little wafts of it occasionally.

They must have sold this in 500ml splash bottles to bathe in. My little 60ml bottle would go in a month if I wore it every day.

I'm not completely certain I understand what you're trying to say, but I think I get the idea. I'm very familiar with the concept of olfactory fatigue, by the way.

Some food for thought:
    Not every fragrance on every person has the same effect as your Bulgari has when you wear it.
    Some people may think its perfectly acceptable to radiate more scent than you think is appropriate.

Thanks for the input though. It's always interesting to hear a unique and well-considered opinion.
    Fair enough, but what I was refferring to, and perhaps I am maybe self-conscious about how much cologne I wear on account of this observation, is simply the fact that since you are wearing the scent and it is emanating from your person, I believe that your perception of how you smell to others, or how much you smell I should say, is not going to coincide with how you actually DO smell to others or how much you actually DO smell. I say this as a piano player, where the instrument sounds fundamentally different than the audience. I believe that fragrance also has this affect, that's all.

Having said that, I do agree that people have different opinions on what is an appropriate amount of scent to be projecting.

I have done up to 30 sprays at times...... and still not a walking time bomb. Go figure

Quote Originally Posted by sroreilly View Post
    Fair enough, but what I was refferring to, and perhaps I am maybe self-conscious about how much cologne I wear on account of this observation, is simply the fact that since you are wearing the scent and it is emanating from your person, I believe that your perception of how you smell to others, or how much you smell I should say, is not going to coincide with how you actually DO smell to others or how much you actually DO smell.
    That's what I understood from your post. As I said, I understand how olfactory fatigue works very well - I'm not so new at this that I walk around gassing out innocent bystanders completely unaware of the bodies I leave in my wake. I've checked my perception of my fragrance with that of others - wife, friends, co-workers - in the past. I avoid olfactory fatigue by not spraying low on the body - never on the neck. I generally try for a scent cloud that cannot be detected beyond arms length.

I know that I can wear 20 sprays of some things and produce that effect. See my post above about Monsieur de Givenchy. I'm almost certain that no one other than my wife and I knew I was wearing fragrance. Maybe the waiter at the restaurant we went to got a whiff.

I don't understand the difference in perception. Perhaps its due to a difference in the response of fragrance on different skin, or maybe the vintage juice I mostly use just projects less than more modern frags that many people use.

lol
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Anglique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

If I am going to work I spray three the most even if the fragrance is light . If I am going to dinner or a social activity then I might use half a bottle till I get the effect I want.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I tend to agree. On average I generally do 3-4. A strong scent like Musc Ravageur is a 1 for me and I don't think I have gone over 5 on anything yet.

My old method was 3 first spray on the chest, and once behind/under each ear.

My new method 3 1/2 is first spray to the chest, one on each side of the neck (directly under the jaw bone *pulse point*), and then a half spray on the region under the chin (digastric muscle/mylohyoid muscle).

I have used this method over the course of a week with a few different fragrances, Rive Gauche, Aventus, Dior Homme Intense, Hanae Mori and A*Men and this is the first time ever in a week I have garnered compliments from so many different fragrances in such a small time frame. My A*Men had such good projection and sillage the other day that I was standing maybe 15 feet from a co-worker outside and there was a light breeze and she told me how good I smelled this was around the 10hr mark!

Basenotes Member

One behind each ear, each chin side, and four or five sprays on the clothe

I love Gendarme and find that although it lasts, there isn't much projection. I usually go 10-15 sprays with that one.

I'm currently experiencing this with YSL L'homme. An amazing scent but weak compared to others in my collection. I use 6 sprays. 2 on the chest, one on each wrist, 1 on my shirt and 1 on the neck. That combination usually last me most of the day.
    twitter.com/_notufatjesus

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    The most I've ever done is 5. Usually 3-4 depending on how weak it is.
    This.

I would be afraid of someone wearing 20 sprays. Seriously.

Around 25.

No cologne should be sprayed 20 times. If u have to use 20 sprays just use a different fragrance.
    twitter.com/_notufatjesus

8 or 10. I don't like odd numbers Seriously, never over 10.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Dependent

People who say there's a "maximum limit" are just silly. It completely depends on the juice, person, culture, and context.

I got a bottle of NON-vintage Monsieur de Givenchy, which I find weaker than the vintage. I was hanging at home and did 20 sprays, and it was STILL too weak. Next time I did 30 and it was pretty strong. About 25 was right. My average for EdTs is 5 sprays, 7 for going out.

I appreciate this thread. It's made me realize I was being to cautious. I'm finding that going a little heavier on the trigger makes most frags smell better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    stuff like 360 white can't be oversprayed. give it 8-12.
    Isn't that the Le Male clone?

- - - Updated - - -

Also I'll do 10+ of Bulgari PH, Gucci PH II, and a few others...

And people say we never talk about D&G The One. Go figure.

Banned

31 on warm days, 33 on cold days

Basenotes Plus

My limit for any fragrance is 5 sprays. Very rarely do I use more than 3.

5-8 sprays and carry atomizers in the office for reapplication.

Basenotes Member

Is it safe to actually spray perfume on clothes? Won't that stain the fabric?

Low projecting/low silage = 4 sprays max.
    Medium projecting/average silage = 2 sprays max.
    High projection/bold sillage = 1 spray to hand to reapply lightly in 4 spots, then wash the spray off of hand.

NOTE ON OVERUSE OF PERFUME. If you are working around other people, or spend time inside an enclosed room with other people (no matter how large the room is) this perfume spraying discipline is necessary if you hope to not offend, anger and alienate people who are sensitive to perfume smells that fill the air. I realize that it is a free world out there and we should be able to spray with abandon, but the reality is that a large part of the population is highly reactive to fragrance as it disperses in the air. It actually causes asthmatic responses in many - so it is more than just preference of an odor that is their problem. It always bothers me that these allergic sensitivities in many are a result of diet (wheat, corn, milk products! - I know, I know, but it is true) and over time this diet induced digestive system toxicity in those who are bothered the most by the fragrances is not the fault of the fragrance itself. But, life is easier for me, if I try to keep those triggers of indignation and allergy to a minimum. Also, some people just don't like to have their smellable space invaded to heavily by others. I understand it and respect it.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 28th March 2013 at 05:50 PM.

One spray even with low projecting frags...I always carry an atomizer to refresh mid day if needed. Also, I fully agree with Buzzlepuff's note on overuse.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin