Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New launch from Comme des Garcons: Comme des Garcons Black

From slamxhype.com:

"Here is an impressive new scent introduced by Comme des Garcons under the BLACK line. The fragrance kicks off with a mix of exotic African accords – black pepper from Madagascar and incense from Somalia — that open up to a heady heart of leather, liquorice, birch tar and pepper wood. Finishing off the scent is a woody base of vetiver and cedarwood and packed in a fittingly black-based bottle and will be available from April."

I've been disappointed with the recent launches from CdG, I'm not jumping through hoops to try this, but I like the heart notes of leather, liquorice and birch tar. Will wait for discerning noses to review it before I decide if it's sample-worthy
    Last edited by furrypine; 23rd March 2013 at 08:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New launch from Comme des Garcons: Comme des Garcons Black

Thanks furrypine This one looks interesting. Agree, recent ones haven't been that good.
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

Will try it if I cross paths with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it'll be just like AmazinGreen.

You can't hear this but I'm typing in Comic Sans Sarcasm font.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I have higher hopes for this than AmazinGreen, but it's hard to tell just which way it will go. Then again, as it seems that insense and cedar are pertty core CdG concepts that they usually execute well, even at its worst it shouldn't be as bad as AmazinGreen.

Definitely looking forward to trying it.

I'm expecting the Black pepper to be the main accord :S hope its not, i like it but dont need another Marc jacobs!

treeman5823

I like the bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

the cdg fragrances with basenotes of cedarwood have kind of let me down so far..kyoto dried down very similar to hinoki..not that they were bad just why buy two fragrances that dry down to the same exact scent...then they kind of got hamster cage vibe.

- - - Updated - - -

the other notes in it got me excited though..might have to buy a sample when it comes out
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Post Thanks / Like

Hope its good.
    John aka Easykiller

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Look forward to smelling it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Look forward to smelling it.
    Mike, Speak of the devil. I feel like we just had a little "Build it and CdG will come" moment.

Post Thanks / Like

So did anyone had a chance to try it?

Post Thanks / Like

This look awesome except for the licorice note, that might kill it for me. Gonna have to give this a sniff either way!
    Live Aloha! Live Da HIlife!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DA FLYN HAWYN View Post
    This look awesome except for the licorice note, that might kill it for me. Gonna have to give this a sniff either way!
    +1.
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone tried this yet? I just bought a bottle today.

Quote Originally Posted by DA FLYN HAWYN View Post
    I'm the opposite, that is actually the only note in there that piques my interest! Looking forward to giving this a sniff in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to receiving mine from LuckyScent soon as I'm not seeing any sort of reviews on BN. I did find a decent article here tough in the meantime.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to smell it, but I've been too busy to take 20 minutes out of my lunchtime to wander up to the nearest CdG boutique.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schilling View Post
    Mike, Speak of the devil. I feel like we just had a little "Build it and CdG will come" moment.
    ((giggle))

Looking forward to hearing more comments about this one. I love a well done licorice note.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

treeman5823

Tried it briefly. Very good, a sort of salty and smoky licorice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    Tried it briefly. Very good, a sort of salty and smoky licorice.
    must try
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never really been a fan of comme des garcons perfumes either..however I did like comme des garcon Wonderwood, so this one may surprise me .. hopefully.
    The London Perfume Company

Post Thanks / Like

Here are my thoughts on CDG Black (I blind bought a full bottle):

Upon first spray, Black starts off with a really dark blast of liquorice and tar (think T-Gel light.) The liquorice note I get is similar to that of Slumberhouse Vikt. Black off the top smells like lightly smoked wood that you might find on a barn that burnt down, basted lightly in tar, with a hint of peppered anise.

After about 2 hours Black has turned into a very dark vetiver wood, similar to Sycomore, not as sharp as Encre Noir, very smooth and smoky, obviously w/o the aldehydes.

After about 5 hours of wear, Black has faded to a more tame skin scent which is very mild compared to the very brash, in your face opening. At the base I get a dry cedar and very very faint smoky vetiver, pepper is lingering slightly on a bed of incense.
    Last edited by rynegne; 3rd May 2013 at 04:51 AM.

This is a really complex composition, and it almost seems to be a cheeky response to the current oud saturation in that its combined effect is somewhat oud-esque (heavy, shifting, bitter etc.). To my nose, the birch tar dominates; but hilariously, it's reconfigured by the supporting notes as a mimesis of warm tarmac—the same scent of road construction. It seems to be achieving this through the combination of the peppery liquorice, dirty leather, and a slight smokiness from the incense. The vetiver / cedarwood base give the whole mix some serious real weight, and yet it's oddly refreshing and uplifting. My initial reaction to this in the store was that it's the safest thing CdG has done in a while, but that's changing now and I think what they've done is incredibly clever. I'm undecided on wearability / practicality at this point (although it clearly ties into their most recent, drool-worthy capsule wardrobe of black and gray [pay attention H&M Divided]), but the more I smell this, the more I'm starting to think of it as a primarily conceptual venture (which, of course, is what problematizes the CdG-as-designer/niche dyad. So far it's lasted well on me, and I hope it keeps up. Although Scent Bar has already sold out of their stock twice now, I think this this is something I'll need to own—if for no other reason than its artistry. Impressed!

I just got a sample of Black from LuckyScent and have given it a full day's wearing. My conclusion is that it's disappointing. The top notes are wonderful -- nose-ticklingly peppery, spicy, slightly green, very natural. If you smelled this on a card you'd reasonably be tempted to open your wallet immediately. But then within 15 minutes the top notes burn off and it just . . . collapses. The base is highly synthetic and not unpleasant, but not very good either. Weirdly, it smells very close to V8 tomato juice to me. It's not a bad smell but not something I really want in a perfume. Cynically, I'd say this is part of a current trend of perfumes that are explicitly constructed to smell good on cards in a store so that you'll blind-buy without giving it a full skin wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Longexact View Post
    Weirdly, it smells very close to V8 tomato juice to me.
    I totally don't get that from it at all! It is extremely ephemeral, though—there's little left after an hour or so. but that's sort of CdG's aesthetic, as is their embracing of highly synthetic compositions. I just find it artistically and conceptually fascinating—which is one of the things I look for in a fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    but that's sort of CdG's aesthetic, as is their embracing of highly synthetic compositions.
    Good point, and that intentionally synthetic aspect is something I appreciate about the line. It also keeps prices low, which is never a bad thing. If one likes the general CdG aesthetic then Black may be up their alley. (I think, though, that CdG has already done the whole "canonically masculine" thing better already with the sublime Vettiveru.)

Post Thanks / Like

Had a chance to try this several days ago, and I can agree with the "salty licorice" thing, for sure. This is the non-sweet salty Euro-type licorice, rather than what you get in Lolita Limpika.

Pretty avant-guard I thought, and fits right in with the CdG philosophy of creating "different" kinds of fragrances.

As others mentioned, this stuff did not last as long as I might have wished it would, but it's nothing that's gone in a moment either.

A significant new frag introduction I thought, and even if you decide it's not for you, it's well worth checking out if you get the chance, if only to be able to say that you've smelled it.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    A significant new frag introduction I thought, and even if you decide it's not for you, it's well worth checking out if you get the chance, if only to be able to say that you've smelled it.
    Pretty much! It kind of raised the bar a little on what can be done. A very unique scent!