Code of Conduct

Default Creed Aventus: An Acquired Taste?

Being relatively new to the world of fragrance collecting, I was just recently exposed to Creed Aventus. I'd read through several reviews both here and on Fragrantica and the sheer volume of positive comments definitely piqued my interest.

When I finally had the opportunity to try some on at Nordstrom, my first thought was, "Gaahhhh! WTF is this stuff?!" Granted, my nose isn't as fine tuned as many of you here, but I was hit with some sort of leathery, musky, sweet-but-not-sweet odor that reminded me of the guys in high school who would practically bathe themselves in Drakkar Noir. (I hated Drakkar Noir growing up). About 30 minutes to an hour in, it started to smell almost medicinal on my skin. It stayed in that medicinal, Drakkar-like state for the next several hours until I went to bed and I decided I wouldn't be trying it again.

Well, several days later, I gave it another go. This time, the first thing I noticed was an intense smell of pineapple (my favorite fruit). Actually, that's all I noticed. It was right there smacking me in the face and I thought, "Damn, how could I have missed this before? This is pretty good!" As the pineapple began to fade, that Drakkar-like scent I initially picked up on earlier re-appeared, but it was more subdued than I remembered. Then the medicinal note came back but again, it was less intense than before. I started to not like it again, but not as intensely as the last time.

So finally, my question: have any of you guys experienced the same thing when you first tried Aventus, or was it love at first smell? I've often found that, with music for example, the albums that I generally don't like upon first listening can eventually become all time favorites while albums that I love right off the bat tend to lose their luster pretty quickly. So now I wonder if I will eventually grow to love Aventus the more I keep trying it.

I would love to hear about your first experiences with this ever so popular fragrance.

Default Re: Creed Aventus: An Acquired Taste?

I must have acquired a taste for this scent right from the start as I love the stuff and can't imagine not having it!
    (1328)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

It was love at first sniff. I never get tired of the Big A.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I got a lot of smoke the first time I tried it. I still liked it.

"An acquired taste" usually infers something that takes some work to enjoy or a lot of experience. This one's designed and pushed as highly accessible to the most amount of people. To this day, I can't go near a Creed counter without one of the sales people inviting me to smell "the newest, most recent, and greatest perfume ever created." While it's not my cup of tea in the slightest, I find it to be an interesting composition that does a fantastic job of appealing to massive audience. So definitely not an acquired taste from my perspective; more like a scent designed to be easily accessible to as many people as possible.
    Last edited by deadidol; 8th December 2013 at 08:10 PM.

I feel Creed's Aventus is a mixed bag, but an overall enjoyable one. I was overwhelmed on my first try and entranced on my next few tries. But all in all, my opinion of it now seems to be somewhere in the middle.

Smelling it directly on your skin doesn't do it justice. Go outdoors on a windy or warm day and you'll get a better understanding of the aroma it leaves behind.

I too was underwhelmed at first, but now I feel I need to try it again.

The resemblance to Drakkar noir is there to a degree...but so much more then that.....for me it was love at first sniff, it took me on a journey through time to a careless time in my life....love this juice not worship it but appreciate it and respect it's sublime composition.....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

This is my SOTD today. I personally loved it at first sniff and haven't had a bad experience with it ever. Behind Imperial, this one seems to be the most inoffensive mainstream Creed fragrance. I do find that the initial infatuation has waned and I no longer reach for it as often as I used to, but that doesn't stop me from thinking 'Damn!' every time I spray it on.
    But as my collection grows, I see it moving down in rank as I find scents that are a bit more tuned to my moods, liking & emotions(even within the Creed house).
    Could I name 10 frags that I like more than Aventus? You bet. 15? Sure. 20? Maybe. But it should at least be a part of any serious scenturions arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KCCO!

I just think it's ok but nothing that I would be compelled to buy.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I too was underwhelmed at first...
    ... and I still am.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    So finally, my question: have any of you guys experienced the same thing when you first tried Aventus, or was it love at first smell? I've often found that, with music for example, the albums that I generally don't like upon first listening can eventually become all time favorites while albums that I love right off the bat tend to lose their luster pretty quickly. So now I wonder if I will eventually grow to love Aventus the more I keep trying it.
    That's a compelling analogy.

My thoughts on Aventus: Hate it, Love It, Hate it again. I have mixed feelings and I'm trying to understand why its beloved.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I must have acquired a taste for this scent right from the start as I love the stuff and can't imagine not having it!
    (1328)
    Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    It was love at first sniff. I never get tired of the Big A.

These sum up m feelings about it. Versatile and original. 10 / 10.

IMO, Spice & Wood blows this stuff out of the water. Just sayin'.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I enjoy my decant but won't buy a FB..
    My fav Creed's are VIW and Royal Oud

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    Spice & Wood is the only fragrance I have that I actually think I like better than Aventus... Especially in the cooler months.

Geat then.....Great now.

I can't abide Aventus or GIT. I wanted to love them but my nose insists on telling me they are vile. Thankfully my partner's nose feels the same.

Is it an acquired taste?
    No.

I really like it and to me was worthy of a full bottle. I like the Creed house in general and don't listen to the boo boys I just enjoy the fragrances. One of my top ones from the house and I really liked it from the get go.

Sniffed it the first time at NM last year, and thought it smelled OK. Must have been a smokey batch tester. Sniffed it a few weeks later and was blown away. Forget the pineapple, the birch makes this frag ! Although I enjoy this frag immensely, there is no way I could wear it daily because of nose fatique. When I do wear it, enjoy it big.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Not an acquired taste, but the stuff has big issues of selective and variable olfactory fatigue, and (I'm pretty sure) aging/maceration dependencies, which give rise to a myriad of complaints. There actually are some batch variations, that you can detect in side-by-side examinations, but they are made acute by people sniffing from one week to the next and simply not experiencing the exact same juice the same. I find that my wears of this juice (I have a flacon, BTW) are unpredictable. Sometimes it seems like I'm wearing nothing, other times I smell pineapple all day long. I really think this aggravates the minor inconsistency of batches of Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    "An acquired taste" usually infers something that takes some work to enjoy or a lot of experience. This one's designed and pushed as highly accessible to the most amount of people. To this day, I can't go near a Creed counter without one of the sales people inviting me to smell "the newest, most recent, and greatest perfume ever created." While it's not my cup of tea in the slightest, I find it to be an interesting composition that does a fantastic job of appealing to massive audience. So definitely not an acquired taste from my perspective; more like a scent designed to be easily accessible to as many people as possible.
    Wonderful description of the reality of Aventus!

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    I feel Creed's Aventus is a mixed bag, but an overall enjoyable one. I was overwhelmed on my first try and entranced on my next few tries. But all in all, my opinion of it now seems to be somewhere in the middle.

Smelling it directly on your skin doesn't do it justice. Go outdoors on a windy or warm day and you'll get a better understanding of the aroma it leaves behind.
    100% agreement! My first sniff was outdoors, and it left a huge impression.

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    We're like polar opposites on this! I wanted to love Spice and Wood, but I was just horrified by what it smelled like on me. It's a combination of my skin and my nose - in any case, it's basically ruined for me. Wish I could experience it the way that its fans do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    I enjoy my decant but won't buy a FB..
    My fav Creed's are VIW and Royal Oud
    Same here - VIW is my summer heat frag, and Royal Oud is a winter fave.

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    I really like it and to me was worthy of a full bottle. I like the Creed house in general and don't listen to the boo boys I just enjoy the fragrances. One of my top ones from the house and I really liked it from the get go.
    I know what you're saying about enjoying them. And I did like Aventus from the start, unlike some of the other Creeds that had to grow on me.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I would second this. Aventus is the best "refined designer scent" with incredible sillage and logevity. however, the price is not justified

Basenotes Member

Aventus was one of the first samples I tried when getting into this hobby, and I loved it then, and still do.

My brother in law doesn't like Aventus either. I have to admit I was very surprised.

I think it's a great perfume, and i do own a bottle. But I wear i rarely wear it because I know It would wear out its welcome quickly.

If you don't like it now, put it on the back burner and come back to it later. You might be pleasently surprised!

I liked it too.
    With great smell comes great responsibility

World changing super frag - masterpiece of pineapple - the stuff of legend - Amazing. Absolutely amazing - I love it! - The very best - this is ultimate stuff

My life with Aventus, a 6 month time frame
    Heard the hype, bought a decant, fell in love with it, went crazy over it, bought full bottle, got bored of it quickly, sold bottle.
    Still have that original decant, collecting dust.
    Its nice, just doesnt compare to plenty of other scents.
    Like a hot cheerleader. Fun to look at, just dont try to have a conversation with...
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

It is definitely the case that some perfumes just grow on you after a couple of tries. Exactly like tasting food, first time not so great, then just starts getting better. It's as if your brain is a bit shocked at first by the newness, but then settles in and starts sending a little dopamine your way as a reward

With Aventus specifically, I too am underwhelmed, and that is an understatement. I was so perplexed after multiple wearings, that I ordered a sample from a different company just to make sure it was the real thing. Sure enough, smelled exactly the same. Over half a dozen wearings and I still don't get the attraction at all. On the "female compliments" thread, I even posted the true story of my 20-something stepdaughter coming over while I was wearing it one day, sniffing the air, and then telling me that I smell like Frank, a friend of the family who wears bad drugstore colognes.

I plan to re-try at some point... although I wonder, even if I like it, what does it say that it takes multiple wearings to develop a taste, exactly how pleased will the people around me be? I always also note, with some amusement, that unlike nearly every other perfume, Creed threads are full of posters that are fairly new, low post count, nearly every post about Creed and specifically Aventus -- like the one a few responses above me. He might be for real, but it happens an incredible amount in Creed threads, always cracks me up
    Last edited by Uvalde; 9th December 2013 at 05:46 PM.

I have it more as a point of reference in my collection than anything else. Aventus brings me to a place of calm and introspection that few others can manage. I think of this scent as ideal for a stroll with a loved one through a perfectly appointed garden in Springtime. Perfect for finding peace and solitude rather than stoking the fires of passion.

Yeah I just don't get the love for this one. Started out with a bottle of Fresco because of all the hype and ended up selling it right away. Then got a couple samples of actual Aventus cuz I was so underwhelmed by the knockoff, but to me I honestly didn't notice that big of a difference between the two.(unless my Aventus samples were replaced with Fresco?!lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Uvalde View Post
    On the "female compliments" thread, I even posted the true story of my 20-something stepdaughter coming over while I was wearing it one day, sniffing the air, and then telling me that I smell like Frank, a friend of the family who wears bad drugstore colognes.
    I remember reading that post of yours and truly LOL!!!

I tested it out today, I think it gave me a headache.

I'm sure I dont know what I'm talking about, but, this smells like a sharp clean after-shave.

Would you guys wear a scent that would get you constant compliments, if you hated it?

A big reason I wear frags is for my own enjoyment.
    Last edited by Flatbush Ave; 10th December 2013 at 06:54 AM.

Tested it on skin for 4 times, still not interested in it.

It a frag that a lot of people try to force themselves to like because a lot of other people like it. That is one of the reasons there is much talk of batch variation. They dont like Aventus and tell everyone that they just got a bad batch. You dont like it, move on.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    Would you guys wear a scent that would get you constant compliments, if you hated it?
    Never, that's crazy. There's a whole host of BN favorites that I dislike, and I don't wear them. But that's okay, because there's a whole host that I do like. There's never a good reason to fixate on just one -- you didn't like it, that's okay, move on. If I may be excused some snark, this is especially the case with Aventus, where many of the most enthusiastic are low-post-count disappear-in-2-months names (i.e., almost certainly undercover reps of the company), something both consistent and somewhat unique to Aventus & Creed threads.

Acquired taste? No, I think it's quite opposite for Aventus, as it appeals to the masses (pinneapple) then slowly develops a good-not-great response, for me anyway. Ifeel kind of the same about M. Imperiale. Everybody experiences these things from their own perspective. Spice & Wood was an acquired taste for me as I disliked it at first, then slowly it won me over.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    It a frag that a lot of people try to force themselves to like because a lot of other people like it. That is one of the reasons there is much talk of batch variation. They dont like Aventus and tell everyone that they just got a bad batch. You dont like it, move on.
    Does anybody know the official Creed word on batch variation with Aventus?. Have they actually acknowledged that there may be some quality control issues in the production of Aventus. Because , if they have not come out and said so , then I am seeing this whole idea of batch variation as just a figment of the imagination. Now, before the Aventus cheerleaders come around with their dubious data, lets think rationally for one minute and consider. Why would a company with the reputation and production levels of Creed let manufacturing standards drop without some public statement from the company. Until they do so, I am not wasting my time in conjecture or making baseless assumptions on their behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by stanmar View Post
    Does anybody know the official Creed word on batch variation with Aventus?. Have they actually acknowledged that there may be some quality control issues in the production of Aventus. Because , if they have not come out and said so , then I am seeing this whole idea of batch variation as just a figment of the imagination. Now, before the Aventus cheerleaders come around with their dubious data, lets think rationally for one minute and consider. Why would a company with the reputation and production levels of Creed let manufacturing standards drop without some public statement from the company. Until they do so, I am not wasting my time in conjecture or making baseless assumptions on their behalf.
    You are making the assumption that if there are batch variations, that it is a quality control issue.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Is it an acquired taste?
    No.
    I am impressed with your restraint.

Basenotes Plus

I think there are more than a few on here that feel almost compelled to dislike Aventus. If you look at it as a stand alone fragrance without listening to love/hate hyperbole it's actually very nice. Nothing hugely special but at the same time nothing horrible either. I like it and so do the majority of people who comment on it and as I've gone through 100ml of it in the last 18 months I shall be buying another bottle this week.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Basenotes Plus

I have two Creed factory samples and a third from PC and to me they are all different..
    I also bought a bottle from Amazon and sent it back..
    I now understand it's a hard sent to wrap my nose around but I can't explain how I like one sample and the others are meh..

I'm waiting to hear what 2014 bottles smell like before I buy a FB again..

Basenotes Plus

Anything using bergamot is likely to be different from a few years ago - there's a video here
    Last edited by lpp; 10th December 2013 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    You are making the assumption that if there are batch variations, that it is a quality control issue.
    But think about it for one minute. Even if not a quality control issue , would Creed have not at least said something , somewhere , anywhere about this matter. We're not talking full page ad in the NY times but still some quote from someone at Creed. Lets never forget that Creed is a very well established company and preeminent in the niche fragrance industry. With that comes accountability and transparency as befits a company that holds such strong investor interest. Again I fail to see how Creed would risk damage to their good name by allowing such question marks to linger. Does it really need this kind of publicity?. Hardly.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Exactly! its just like any other fragrance. you either like it, dont like it or figure out a way to convince yourself to tolerate it. I think sometimes because of the way it is raved about on these forums, people go in with unrealistic expectations of what it is supposed to smell like or do.

Like the OP I'm also new to this scent. But I liked it on first try. I'm sampling it lately, and get the variations between the fruit and the smoke. I love the way it plays with your mind a little. The last try I thought the smoke came in a little too soon, but then much, much later the pineapple reasserted itself, that's magic.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Anything using bergamot is likely to be different from a few years ago - there's a video here
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/371...r-)?highlight=

Has a(ny) regulation(s) gone into affect since the creation of Aventus in regards to bergamot? If so, when, and do you think/'know' if it's affected 2013 batches of Aventus?

This happens in a lot of perfumes I'd imagine but seems more prevalent with this because people want to give it multiple tries. And it seems fairly common with Aventus. My guess is that with this concoction specifically that it takes the brain a little while/a few tries to pick up/signal the pineapple note. Perfumes are such a varied concoction of aromachemicals that it sometimes takes time for the brain to sort through it. One of the reasons designer colognes are so same-y (besides copycat syndrome) is that they likely have an easy to identify combo of scents that immediately register as good rather than some niche that may take more time to understand.

Interesting to see this posted here as I just ordered a second sample of this today. I was a bit indifferent about Aventus at first, but I have recently had the experience of very gradually coming to love a fragrance that I was equally indifferent about at first. I want to give it a fair chance. Nice to see you approach it the same way as well.

Not for me. How I felt about it the first time I smelled it is pretty much how I feel about it now.

I like it.
    Top 5 Winter Frags:
    1) Tabac Rouge
    2) Scent of Peace for Him
    3) Amyris Homme
    4) Paris*L.A.
    5) Blackbir
    d

Not at all.

It's a crowd pleaser.

for swap/sale: