Code of Conduct

Default Orange Blossom and Neroli

It seems that several of us are on a bit of a quest for springtime in a bottle -- orange blossom and neroli. I'll bet the never-ending winter has something to do with it.

So, what have you all tried so far? What are your reactions?

Here are the ones I've sniffed:

Ramon Monegal Entre Naranjos
    Le Labo Neroli
    Aftelier Perfumes Candide
    Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger (Round 3 or 4 -- I've lost track of my repeated struggles with FdO)
    Robert Piguet Mademoiselle Piguet
    Annick Goutal Neroli
    Houbigant Orangers en Fleurs
    Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine
    Jo Malone Orange Blossom

I'll post my thoughts later on each of these -- but I think I've found a few winners!

Default Re: Orange Blossom and Neroli

I agree, the right kind of orange blossom really is spring in a bottle. I love subtle, natural smelling orange blossoms, but if they're too strong I find them nauseating. I went off even the lighter ones for a while, but it looks like we're friends again

SL Fleur d'Oranger - BIG floral, I have to be in the right mood for it and apply sparingly! Sometimes find it too laundry-musky as it dries down (I'm sure many will disagree though). I don't really get the famous cumin, though. The first time I tried it I was entranced by honey-notes, but I don't get those any more...

Jo Malone Orange Blossom - now THIS is spring/early summer in a bottle to me Orange blossom and big juicy round oranges, with just a hint of lilac. Haven't sniffed it for a while though, will have to revisit it. On a cold early spring day last year, I was walking home and caught a whiff of the most incredible summery scent that literally made me stop in my tracks. Retraced my steps and found the flowering bush it was coming from, don't know what it was but I don't think it was orange blossom. But it was like summer had suddenly broken into what was a pretty wintery day. When I then smell Jo Malone OB, it took my back to this, the same feeling of summer bursting into winter. How did you find it, ExtremeK?

Annick Goutal Neroli - I've not sprayed this, but sniffing the bottle/cap (not the best way to test, I know!), this is incredibly close to the orange blossom flavoured Anis de Flavigny pastilles I have.

To add to your list:

Penhaligon's Orange Blossom - Fairly sure this is not what orange blossom smells like! I find it harsh and plasticky, though when I first tried it about a year ago, I liked it. Would be interested to hear other people's thoughts

Yves Rocher Pur Désir de Fleur d'Oranger - Silly name, beautiful scent! Lovely and natural-smelling. And cheap as chips too!

Blog Entries

I'll provide a link to a thread from last summer on the topic... I got a little carried away (*ahem*) on the topic :

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/309...nger?p=2679941

Edit: My favorites are:

• L'Artisan Fleur d'Oranger 2007-- so upliftng and uncluttered and true. Bliss.
    • Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Flora Nerolia-- not just orange blossom-- my favorite jasmine
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 24th March 2013 at 04:31 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I'll provide a link to a thread from last summer on the topic... I got a little carried away (*ahem*) on the topic :
    That was an awesome post last summer, 30 Roses, I know I learned a lot from it.

The only one I have is Neroli Portifino. Great fragrance. Ted Lapidus Altimar is another Orange blossom favorite of mine. The price won't hurt your pockets either.

My favorite to wear is Parfum d'Empire Azemour.

treeman5823

Serge Lutens's Fleur d' Oranger, Habit Rouge, Acqua Viva, Ck One, and Eau d'Orange Vert are all nice citruses. Springtime in a bottle, though, is Le Temps de Une Fete.

I have and enjoy Seville a l'Aube, Narciso Rodriguez For Her, Orange Sanguine, and AG Neroli. I need to try MFK APOM and Houbigant Orangers en Fleurs. Much as I love Serge, Fleurs d'Oranger's famous cumin overdose scares me. Can't imagine what I would do when confronted with Rubj.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    That was an awesome post last summer, 30 Roses, I know I learned a lot from it.
    Thanks Kiliwia!
    I've learned two things from my orange blossom search that apply to my experiences with perfumes in general:

1. I like what I like. If it's expensive, then I'll just have to save up for it, because I won't be able to talk myself into settling for less.
    2. Other people like what they like, which is often entirely different!

Kobe and Seville a'Laube are two of my favorite.
    The former being more straightforward whilst the latter much much more complex.
    I'd happily add Sweet Redemption to my arsenal.

for swap/sale:

APOM is my orange blossom du jour. This is definitely going on my To Buy list. It's straightforward and so very pretty. I practically drunk my sample.

I have tried these:

Robert Piguet Mademoiselle Piguet - Only smelled one drop and loved it so much that I immediately ordered another sample and almost bought a decant!

Jo Malone Orange Blossom - Had a mini of this for years and years. Despite loving orange blossom, I could never put it on my skin. The opening was just too harsh (like many Jo Malone, to my nose.) I recently went to try it again and it was turned and I tossed it. Too bad, because my nose has changed and I am willing to get past the opening blast.

Want to try:

Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger
    Annick Goutal Neroli

Blog Entries

l have tried;

Azahar by Adolfo Dominguez; a fresh & sunny orange blossom with neroli & a musky base, nice but fleeting on me.
    Fleurs d'Oranger by Lutens; very changeable on my skin, sometimes zesty, sometimes spicy, sometimes way too syrupy & heavy.
    Neroli by Profumum; beautiful opening phase, but an oddly metallic drydown.
    Seville a L'Aube; a lovely & complex waxy orange blossom with petitgrain, subtle lavender & vanillic benzoin in the base.
    Zohar by Ayala Moriel; another slightly metallic neroli with orange blossom & amber.

Of these, my favourite is Seville a l'Aube. l am wondering how this compares to Mademoiselle Piguet as they sound similar. Has anyone tried both?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Have only tried the Jo Malone Orange Blossom, but I love it. It's like liquid sunshine!

Lili Bermuda Fresh Water

My favourite orange blossom scent by far is Seville a l'Aube. I also enjoy Lutens' Fleur d'Oranger. Penhaligon's Orange Blossom turns soapy on me.

I'm quite choosy with my orange blossoms. I'm always on the verge of perceiving a greasy, waxy, dirty facet that really annoys me. Nevertheless, I adore the note and my favourite perfumes so far are:
    Séville à l'aube and Rubj.

(By total chance, today I'm testing a fragrance from a small Italian brand, O.P.S.O, Dalila, which is a pretty nice, straightforward, creamy and clean orange blossom, neroli and other white flowers scent)
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Just noticed the announcement for Yves Rocher's neroli and thought of this thread.
    http://www.yvesrocherusa.com/control.../?cmSrc=Search