Code of Conduct

Default Shrill note at top of GIT & Guerlain Vetiver?

I am relatively new to fragrances so excuse my ignorance.

In both of the fragrances above I smell what I would describe as a very shrill similar top note. Shrill is probably not the best descriptor, but its the only one I can think of presently. It is the equivalent smell to my nose as a piercing, high pitched squeal is to my ears. It disappears fairly quickly, however and I like both fragrances.

Does anyone know what this note I'm describing happens to be? From their respective pages, it appears that they only share a lemon top note, but I have a hard time calling the shrill note a lemon scent. Am I wrong and it's simply a very sharp lemon or is there something else that I am smelling?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Shrill note at top of GIT & Guerlain Vetiver?

You are highly sensitive to lemon, that's all. The topnotes are not shrill. Guerlains tend to be smooth by nature. And Creeds tend be be very natural in their notes. For example, there is a Lemon-based creed called BOIS DE CEDRAT, which is almost pure lemon. But it is never shrill. I am not saying that shrill citric topnotes do not exist. I am just saying that these two perfumes are not very sharp.

Could be anything but it seems to point to the lemon as already mentioned.

Neither is shrill by my definition but its probably the citric top notes.

for swap/sale:

Bill S, I have exactly this experience with Guerlain Vetiver, just as you described, only for me it lasts well into the day likely due to top notes clinging to my shirt. I've experienced this same shrill or shrieking effect from a few other fragrances, such as vintage M7 or Ambre 114, which led me to guess (supported by thoughts here on BN) that I'm sensitive to certain synthetic white musks. I posted a thread about it three or so months back but can't track it down at the moment.

In any case, it's quite frustrating as these are all fragrances I would otherwise enjoy. At times, though, that shrill effect, which is somewhat like smelling chlorine up close maybe, very sharp and piercing, just overwhelms the composition.

I can somewhat sense where this is coming from, even though I enjoy both scents and am not bothered by neither. But indeed during the opening (albeit in different ways) both have a paradoxical opening- on one hand soapy almost up to the point of being pungent- at least to my nose- yet also, in an almost complete contrast to that, something almost dusty and/or musty.

Nevertheless, I still enjoy both scents, yet can somehow relate to the ones for whom this scent borders on the "uncomfortable zone"- at least, what the olfactory perception of their openings is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Creeds tend be be very natural in their notes.
    I remember reading somewhere that Green Irish Tweed is quite synthetic in construction.

One review of GIT lists these elements that appear in the top notes:
    Ambroxan (metallic amber), dihydromyrcenol (gray citrus), and octin esters (green violet leaf) sweetened by a touch of apple up top

So according to this reviewer there is more than just a lemon note that OP could be smelling.

A bit off-topic but responding to the above: I find Green Irish Tweed to be overwhelmingly synthetic smelling.

I've never tried that Guerlain but I know what you mean with GIT. It is a bracing freshness, almost like when you are stood in very cold weather. It almost hurts to smell.